Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe they already have superpowers and this is a before the carnage shot :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

which superpowers are you expecting to get as a result of this?

The use of my right hand.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

good luck goon

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Halfway through a 4-day observation in the neurology dept. Between not bathing, pissing in a bottle, and coming down off of Benzos it's basically become a Truckfuckling vision quest.

Good luck friend goon. Looks like you might have access to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow there on the wall. Hope it helps!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

this is the osha thread :catbert: your right hand is a big gun isnt it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Halfway through a 4-day observation in the neurology dept. Between not bathing, pissing in a bottle, and coming down off of Benzos it's basically become a Truckfuckling vision quest.

Man if you keep that up you'll start hallucinating rainbows and butterflies appearing on the wall in front of you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Good luck neuro-goon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Chipping in my own good luck wishes, neuro goon.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mostlygray posted:

They would also wash their bare hands in the gun cleaner like it was nothing. The gun cleaner is like a sink but instead of water it uses MEK.

Is a gun cleaner a machine for cleaning guns, or a machine for cleaning things using a gun-like tool?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

Is a gun cleaner a machine for cleaning guns, or a machine for cleaning things using a gun-like tool?

The stuff can be nasty:

edit:

duh, nevermind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doom Mathematic posted:

I assumed from context it's a machine for cleaning gun-like tools (handheld sprayers etc).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was a chemical, like “glass cleaner”.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/PuK60s8.mp4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do you think his next move is?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Subjunctive posted:

Use his free hand to change gear to forward and then turn steering wheel to extreme left?

I don't see a mirror on this side so it's probably not his first time either.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

pretty sweet reliant robin conversion

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

I thought it was a chemical, like “glass cleaner”.

He said it uses MEK which is a chemical, methyl ethyl ketone. Which is not great for you!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The stuff can be nasty:

edit:

duh, nevermind

Any time the instructions following accidental ingestion are, "do NOT induce vomitting," you're playing with some real serious poo poo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Any time the instructions following accidental ingestion are, "do NOT induce vomitting," you're playing with some real serious poo poo.

I'd love to hear more about this.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Imagined posted:

I would think it fucks stuff up in your esophagus coming back up

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Imagined posted:

It burned on the way in, and it's gonna burn (the lining of your digestive system, causing severe pain) on the way back up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

Drive forward.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My 8th grade 'buffet' style worshop/home economics combo class was a live demonstration of everything idiots could do.

Metal shop: Instructor explains no uncertain terms 'do not short these car battery terminals - they will melt whatever you put across them and/or explode'. Within 15 minutes an idiot put a wrench across the terminals for the lols. We were down a wrench, a battery and a student after that. He got expelled.

Wood shop: Someone used the planer without supervision because 'how hard can it be'. Lost just a knuckle. Another kid band-sawed his way into the thumb/forefinger webbing on his hand.

Electronics shop: Instructor warned us about soldering wires under tension, since they can recoil and fling hot metal into your face. Good reason to wear goggles/face shield! Of course someone was too smart for that and ended up spattering hot molten lead into their eyeball. Oh and several people zapped themselves with good old 120.

Sewing class: Turns out you can get about five stitches into your finger before the needle snaps off when you yank your idiot hand out from the machine.

Cooking class: Someone learned the fun way not to assume a range is cool after they sat on a hot coil. Bet they had a neat spiraling butt-scar. And of course people chopping off small pieces of fingers with knives.

Drafting class was the only one with no disasters but I'm sure it was a close call.
Every single example of this stupidity was -exactly- the poo poo instructors warned people about. Like, they could have said 'here is what not to do - and here is why:' then point to whatever these idiots did.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 3, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Holy poo poo what kind of schools did y'all go to. Your middle school shop class isn't supposed to look like a battlefield. Or have comparable fatalities.

Like I went to middle school in an eastern european shithole and I don't recall seeing any serious injuries ever despite all the lathes and saws.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Bleach isn't that serious?

The only reason they say that is because the chemical ingested has the potential to do damage on the way out, just like it did on the way in. So, to minimize the damage, they say to not induce vomiting. There are plenty of chemicals with this warning, and it really doesn't mean anything past "this poo poo is caustic."

Honestly, just call poison control. 1-800-222-1222 (in the U.S.) I've used them multiple times while on a 911 call, and am never not amazed at the amount of information they have for ingestions. I don't think there's a chemical commercially available that they don't have info on.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Holy poo poo what kind of schools did y'all go to. Your middle school shop class isn't supposed to look like a battlefield. Or have comparable fatalities.

Like I went to middle school in an eastern european shithole and I don't recall seeing any serious injuries ever despite all the lathes and saws.

Westerners live comically bubble wrapped lives and might not even handle a kitchen knife or adjustable wrench until adulthood

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Doom Mathematic posted:

Sounds like it was a degreasing bench, its usually a basin full of organic solvent with a recirculating pump and a filter cartridge so you degrease gunk, wash off particulate, and don't recirculate the particulate. Sometimes you have some tubing on the nozzle or whatever to redirect the pumped solvent into and at things you want and sometimes its just like a sink nozzle you hold stuff up to if you don't just want to soak it in a basin of the solvent.

I don't know what solvent we had in ours in high school shop class but it had probably never been cleaned or recharged in its life because you could build sand castles out of the gunky metal particles if you wanted to.

Zipperelli. posted:

Bleach isn't that serious?

The only reason they say that is because the chemical ingested has the potential to do damage on the way out, just like it did on the way in. So, to minimize the damage, they say to not induce vomiting. There are plenty of chemicals with this warning, and it really doesn't mean anything past "this poo poo is caustic."

Honestly, just call poison control. 1-800-222-1222 (in the U.S.) I've used them multiple times while on a 911 call, and am never not amazed at the amount of information they have for ingestions. I don't think there's a chemical commercially available that they don't have info on.
Yeah its mostly anything corrosive at which point you want to neutralize it in the stomach before it goes out or in anywhere else.

Poison control is really awesome, they have the medical digests that would be not understandable if included in the SDS and if they run into something weird they usually have the product stewards from the manufacturer on speed dial.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There was one shop-class injury in my 4 years of high school, a partially severed finger. I didn't see it happen, though I did see the blood.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuturePastNow posted:

There was one shop-class injury in my 4 years of high school, a partially severed finger. I didn't see it happen, though I did see the blood.

They don’t offer shop in my kids schools. Liability insurance I presume.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

shovelbum posted:

Westerners live comically bubble wrapped lives and might not even handle a kitchen knife or adjustable wrench until adulthood

This. Very much this - and high school idiots 'knowing better' and doing poo poo 'for fun'.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

I had at least 2 childhood friends in Iceland missing fingers and eyeballs.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I was born in the 1980s and we had lots of air cooled VWs to learn to wrench on, a 71 Bus, a 73 Super Beetle, some year or another Type 3 station wagon thing, and 2 vanagons, both water cooled.

If I didn't learn how to fix machines I was going nowhere.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Colonel Cancer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NtCJQuxKw

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Vanagoon posted:

If I didn't learn how to fix machines I was going nowhere.

its still like that but with much lower education budgets and virtually 0 after school programs

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

So this is basically couples counseling?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did 5 years in prison in Florida from 2005-2010. While incarcerated I got ASE certified, earned 12 college credits for doing a 6 month culinary arts program, and finished an entire course in HVAC. Also available that I never participated in, were welding, carpentry, plumbing and a few other trades.

In high school, in contrast, from 2001-2004, I had..... uh.... Animation. And... Photography? No type of trade/shop class offered whatsoever, nothing. Not even woodworking.

:lol: at American schools. This country sucks rear end and yet people will still act surprised and offended when you say it out loud.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zipperelli. posted:

I did 5 years in prison in Florida from 2005-2010. While incarcerated I got ASE certified, earned 12 college credits for doing a 6 month culinary arts program, and finished an entire course in HVAC. Also available that I never participated in, were welding, carpentry, plumbing and a few other trades.

In high school, in contrast, from 2001-2004, I had..... uh.... Animation. And... Photography? No type of trade/shop class offered whatsoever, nothing. Not even woodworking.

:lol: at American schools. This country sucks rear end and yet people will still act surprised and offended when you say it out loud.

What did you end up doing once out? And now today?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

What did you end up doing once out? And now today?

I'm a paramedic. When I first got out I worked as a bartender because there really weren''t any ASE jobs around that were hiring, and I never certified in anything to do with HVAC, so I went to restaurants thinking I'd work in the kitchen. Unfortunately, managers generally liked my personality and wanted me behind the bar. Did that to put myself through school, graduated with my AS: EMS and my BS: Fire Sciences. I worked for a busy, urban 911 service before doing Critical Care, and eventually transitioning into the hospital, in the emergency department. Now I'm back in school again, this time to get my RN.

:lol: at anyone who says their life is over because they committed a crime. I did time for armed robbery, and have somehow I'm white. How tf else do you think I could do this? gotten my poo poo back together.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you kill these people?

I've never heard of anyone dying in a middle school metal-shop accident, and you've dealt with ten of them alone. The connecting factor between these deaths isn't the metal shop, it's you.

by "all of them died" he means all the drill presses died, when their motors stalled and burned out from being jammed up with hair

i hope. because in most schools even a single death in a shop accident is unheard-of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

It burned on the way in, and it's gonna burn (the lining of your digestive system, causing severe pain) on the way back up

also there's a chance that if the person vomits they will aspirate whatever it was, and many chemicals are less harmful in your digestive system than in your lungs.

like even something as benign as machine oil, which if you drink it will just give you diarrhea, can give you a legendary case of pneumonia if you inhale it as a vapor