Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

friendbot2000 posted:

Watch it be a sealed juvenile record like we are supposed to care.

Or worse...he...he might have been in a rock band

Worse. He was the one holding the camera in AOC's Liztomania dance video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pseudorandom name posted:

If somebody found a photo with a Democrat posing in front of a Confederate flag, McConnell would demand their resignation tomorrow without a hint of shame at the hypocrisy.

Noooooo actually admitting to the Republican base that the Confederate flag is bad is a terrible, terrible idea.

That's " lose your primary" level of mistake

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

theflyingorc posted:

Noooooo actually admitting to the Republican base that the Confederate flag is bad is a terrible, terrible idea.

That's " lose your primary" level of mistake

Modern racists aside, Kentucky's legacy in the civil war is notable. It was a deeply divided state to the point of remaining neutral until Confederate incursions led the state to request Union help. It was the birthplace of both Lincoln and Davis.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Covok posted:

I work in a deep red middle class Italian community. Blue state, high property taxes, 3-4 kids on average per couple. They are all seeing their refunds go down, and some have their taxes go up to. They are pissed.

Johnston, Rhode Island?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Covok posted:

I work in a deep red middle class Italian community. Blue state, high property taxes, 3-4 kids on average per couple. They are all seeing their refunds go down, and some have their taxes go up to. They are pissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't seeing your refund go down just mean you overpayed less in taxes throughout the year? I still feel like wayyy too many people think a tax refund is free money you get from the government at the end of the year.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't seeing your refund go down just mean you overpayed less in taxes throughout the year? I still feel like wayyy too many people think a tax refund is free money you get from the government at the end of the year.

If your actual take-home income didn't change during the year it means you have received less tax exemptions in the last year, which is what the Trump tax plan adjusted to allow the top tax brackets a tax decrease.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

haha

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Meanwhile I think Trump is scum of the earth and I actually saw my federal refund increase. #MAGA indeed!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Just saw that, loving brilliant. The schadenfreude is real.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Under what circumstances would someone in the US get $5,000 dollars back after paying their taxes?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For a while me and my wife were full time students and there were crazy tax credits for that so when filing jointly we'd get back more than we withheld because we also made poo poo income. It wasn't 5k though. That person most likely has screwed up their withholdings and that's just their money coming back? Well, not THIS year but yeah.

I had the weirdest loving year income wise so I won't even know the difference since pretty much everything about my job situating was completely different this year from previous years..

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

mango sentinel posted:

Modern racists aside, Kentucky's legacy in the civil war is notable. It was a deeply divided state to the point of remaining neutral until Confederate incursions led the state to request Union help. It was the birthplace of both Lincoln and Davis.

Kentucky is a cool state, I hope it can one day be rescued from chuddom.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

To future Democrats, I implore you, please don't run for office if there are photos of you being racist

SA has ruined so many good leftists' potential careers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Under what circumstances would someone in the US get $5,000 dollars back after paying their taxes?

This is kind of mystifying to me as well. Is there some special law somewhere saying "If you fell into this particular bracket for this tax year, we're going to pay you this flat amount."?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gort posted:

A combination of deductions and tax-advantaged investments (e.g. 401ks) basically. They can definitely add up to $5,000.

Slashrat posted:

This is kind of mystifying to me as well. Is there some special law somewhere saying "If you fell into this particular bracket for this tax year, we're going to pay you this flat amount."?

Numbers are different for everyone, but basically, the government withholds a certain amount of money from each paycheck based on some very basic knowledge about you. When you file your taxes, in addition to the various deductions you can claim, you can also state that your taxable income was less than your actual salary (e.g. you contributed a whole bunch to your 401k that year). In those situations, the government ends up owing you a portion of the taxes that were withheld.

Trump's tax cuts modified a whole bunch of deductions, which is what is loving over people.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 4, 2019

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
When I was a grad student, I would get a pretty hefty tax refund, due to being able to claim parts of my income as a tuition deduction (or something like that). I understand it that they didn't renew part of it this year, though I think it was separate from the tax cut (but still hurts).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gort posted:

Two children.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There it is:

https://twitter.com/jamilsmith/status/1092338521237422081?s=21

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gort posted:

A big one, particularly for the blue state families with kids example above, is the new cap on state and local tax deductions -- you used to be able to deduct state taxes from your federal taxes, but now it's capped at $10,000.

You might remember everyone in states with high income taxes complaining about this, Republicans sneering about how Democrats deserve it, and a few MAGA tweeterers saluting and saying they were proud to help drain the swamp. Thousand dollar bonus!! Everyone's taxes go down!! :patriot:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Undocumented Gamer posted:

People are so fast to turn on others these days.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketapp...10%2Fframe.html

This is great being seen blown up. I'd love to see it get covered by the media tomorrow

McConnell marched with MLK so his defence is that he was anti-racist when young, then became racist, and is now against racism again (while strengthening the forces of white supremacy as de facto most powerful Republican.)

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

the "rethinking this now" and "disappointed" are my favorites.

you were supposed to be screwing everyone but us but now that youve screwed us oooo you're going to get such sternly worded tweet on how i may not vote for you next election!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
While it's no surprise to me that your average republican only cares about their tax return, It's hilarious and shocking that any of them ever actually believed the GOP would "fix" healthcare.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Strange Poon posted:

Personally I like it when former military get owned.

"But I served my country!" Your country doesn't give a poo poo.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

CubanMissile posted:

While it's no surprise to me that your average republican only cares about their tax return, It's hilarious and shocking that any of them ever actually believed the GOP would "fix" healthcare.

They assume the 'fix' is 'I get mine cheap but those coloured other people don't'.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Strange Poon posted:

you were supposed to be screwing everyone but us but now that youve screwed us oooo you're going to get such sternly worded tweet on how i may not vote for you next election!

A twitter bot that replies to these tweets with, “Next time, just don’t vote,’ would probably be pretty effective.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
They'll vote for Trump anyway and forgot this unpleasantness ever happened.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

They'll vote for Trump anyway and forgot this unpleasantness ever happened.

This. One dose of Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham will scrub their brains nice and clean.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycjim/status/1092374508848197632

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

A combination of deductions and tax-advantaged investments (e.g. 401ks) basically. They can definitely add up to $5,000.

Numbers are different for everyone, but basically, the government withholds a certain amount of money from each paycheck based on some very basic knowledge about you. When you file your taxes, in addition to the various deductions you can claim, you can also state that your taxable income was less than your actual salary (e.g. you contributed a whole bunch to your 401k that year). In those situations, the government ends up owing you a portion of the taxes that were withheld.

Trump's tax cuts modified a whole bunch of deductions, which is what is loving over people.

To be clear the government isn't really doing anything, your payroll provider is, and in most circumstances you can choose the number of 'allowances' that they withhold on your W4, and if you get a big check back you're just overpaying on withholding and should probably claim more allowances.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/PopChassid/status/1092219347429396480

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1092227273682550784

She is so good at this

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Does Corbyn really have a history of anti-Semitism or is that dude just making poo poo up?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Does Corbyn really have a history of anti-Semitism or is that dude just making poo poo up?

Absolute horseshit designed to smear Corbyn.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Absolute horseshit designed to smear Corbyn.

I kinda figured. Why's AOC taking it seriously, then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A key thing to keep in mind with British politics is that basically all of their media is various shades of Fox News, including the BBC. There is a brief period before elections where they are legally forced to be objective, and it happens in that period Jeremy Corbyn's approval ratings shot way up.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A key thing to keep in mind with British politics is that basically all of their media is various shades of Fox News, including the BBC. There is a brief period before elections where they are legally forced to be objective, and it happens in that period Jeremy Corbyn's approval ratings shot way up.

:stare: That's gotta suck. At least here, MSNBC makes pretenses at not being third-rate infotainment.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Throwing the dog a bone is easier than saying "Ehh mate thats absolute tosh"

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
This year my wife and I owe about 1k more in federal taxes (state are unchanged from last) what we did last year for, as far as I can tell, two reasons: 1 - even though our net paychecks are roughly the same, the total withholding is less than it was the previous year and 2 - my wife works at a university that gives her a free graduate program, and now the university that sponsored tuition is now classified as taxable income, so her box 1 and 3 amounts are actually several thousand dollars higher than her actual salary. More than wipes it the new child credit.

Obviously adjusted withholdings for next year but still a bummer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I dunno, but hopefully AOC taking it seriously involves talking to these people:
https://twitter.com/solid_jews/status/1092268678647857152

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m “I served my country honorably, I will not make the same mistake twice”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Because she's terminally online?