Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Does Corbyn really have a history of anti-Semitism or is that dude just making poo poo up?
It depends on if you think the definition of 'anti-Semitism' is "believes and perpetuates harmful stereotypes about the Jewish culture and community" or "has ever been even slightly critical of the militaristic right-wing Israeli government".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I kinda figured. Why's AOC taking it seriously, then?

How on earth would you know all the ins-and-outs of 'JC hates Jews' if you're a US Congresswoman from the Bronx?

Always easier to say 'oh thanks, we'll have a look'.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, the GOPs new strategy is to take advantage of our watchdogs, isn’t it?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Does Corbyn really have a history of anti-Semitism or is that dude just making poo poo up?

he has a long history of anti-racist campaigning and defending marginalised and oppressed people.

this includes palestinians, obviously for some people this makes him a raging anti-semite.

there has been a concerted effort in the UK to paint jeremy corbyn as an anti-semite, because basically there is no dirt on him.

no skeletons in his closet because he's a nice old man who makes jam and has been on the right side of history most of the time.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean, aside from supporting coal, there isnt any dirt on him.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I owe money on my taxes for the first time in my life. I figured it was because I took on a second job, good to know it might also be because of the death cult.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gort posted:

Under what circumstances would someone in the US get $5,000 dollars back after paying their taxes?
Relatively easy. I can't find any numbers, but a significant number of Americans take fewer exemptions then they're entitled to and therefore are over-withheld. It's a great way to ensure you'll always have a tax refund, and all it requires is a 12-month interest free loan to the government.

Add on top of that things like the EITC for poorer families, or SALT and mortgage deductions for more wealthy families, and you could easily expect a $5,000+ refund.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hardly a proof of anything but an Israeli Palestinian rights campaigner put in a freedom of information request against the Israeli government after Israeli newspapers reported suggestions that Bibi was deliberately trying to gently caress with pro-Palestinian party leaders worldwide.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yo whats the thread title from

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you really want to know more about the campaign to try and label Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite, read this article by a British Jew who goes over it in great detail:

Before I go any further, let me make something abundantly clear. Of course antisemitism exists on the left. The reason is because it exists everywhere. It is a horrific cancer which the Jewish people have been fighting for over 2000 years. Jewish people like my late Holocaust-surviving grandmother and her whole family. Jewish people like myself too.

What I expect anyone fighting against it to do is call it out whenever they see it, with zero tolerance. But in Britain in 2019, especially online, that is not what is happening. Instead, not only is antisemitism on the right, which as the Institute for Jewish Policy Research found in a comprehensive report in 2017, is considerably more prevalent than on the left, disgracefully ignored; but thousands of good, decent, anti-racist Corbyn and Labour supporters have been smeared, bullied, attacked in positively McCarthyite fashion: simply for being Corbyn and Labour supporters. Including, in the latest horrifying example, a 16-year-old girl.

The reason for this? It’s political. In a country with a racist Prime Minister, a racist government, a governing party which ignores all calls for an inquiry into institutionalised Islamophobia, whose belatedly added guidelines on antisemitism don’t even apply to its members — only its representatives — and with many on the right (including Daniel Hannan and Leave.EU) routinely repeating a hideous, vile trope against George Soros while much of the media barely says a word, this is the only possible explanation.

https://medium.com/@shaunjlawson/enough-is-enough-rachel-riley-gnasherjew-and-the-political-weaponisation-of-antisemitism-5251bb1adec5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

How on earth would you know all the ins-and-outs of 'JC hates Jews' if you're a US Congresswoman from the Bronx?

Always easier to say 'oh thanks, we'll have a look'.
If someone came to JC and said "AOC hates lesbians" because of her anti-terf statements and JC responded with "oh, thanks, we'll have a look" it'd be insane.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gort posted:

Under what circumstances would someone in the US get $5,000 dollars back after paying their taxes?

My wife and I have 3 kids and we're getting back $7,000. A lot of that is going to pay off the bills for a medical issue I had last summer. Thanks, American healthcare system!!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, the GOPs new strategy is to take advantage of our watchdogs, isn’t it?
Except it doesn't actually work. They tried the same thing with Ellison (am... am I allowed to discount the Monahan accusation now?) and Mueller, and besides the initial flurry of reporting it doesn't have a lasting short-term effect. A "thinly-supported" story isn't actually going to get everyone to throw up their hands and say "WELL, someone said he might be a sex pest, guess we gotta let Gillispie be governor!"

...oh wait, it's pollyanna.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cargo cult posted:

Someone's post earlier in the thread

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Captain Invictus posted:

And also a sage piece of advice.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ok, that's actually much worse than what bigleaguepolitics reported. Their story was thinly sourced and it was not apparent the woman involved was intending to publicly accuse Fairfax, if she does (and the denial implies she already has) she seems pretty credible on paper. She's a progressive academic who lives on the other side of the country. I'd be strongly inclined to believe her unless Fairfax has exculpatory evidence he hasn't yet offered.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cargo cult posted:

Read from page 2200.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

SureFire Intelligence strikes again!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the post about 'dont worry, nobody will buy poorly sourced allegations' was immediately followed by someone buying a poorly sourced allegation

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Thanks to Saudi A! posted:

SureFire Intelligence strikes again!

SureFire Intelligence wouldn't even get inside the door at the Washington Post and Justin Fairfax's team sure as poo poo wouldn't bother responding to them.

This is increasingly looking very real and the apparent accuser is not right-wing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Charliegrs posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't seeing your refund go down just mean you overpayed less in taxes throughout the year? I still feel like wayyy too many people think a tax refund is free money you get from the government at the end of the year.

In some cases, their tax went down. In some cases their tax went up. In both cases the refund went down. And no one in the former case cares that they aren't in the latter case and treat situation the same. And I do explain this to them in entirety. Because I go line-by-line.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

If someone came to JC and said "AOC hates lesbians" because of her anti-terf statements and JC responded with "oh, thanks, we'll have a look" it'd be insane.

Yeah, it was a really dumb thing for AOC to say, especially considering it was right after her interview with Corbyn.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DynamicSloth posted:

SureFire Intelligence wouldn't even get inside the door at the Washington Post and Justin Fairfax's team sure as poo poo wouldn't bother responding to them.

This is increasingly looking very real and the apparent accuser is not right-wing.

Various media outlets including the Washington Post investigated the story for an extended period of time and couldn't find anything.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
these posts mentioning justin fairfax are really throwing me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

these posts mentioning justin fairfax are really throwing me

Haha, I only just realised the coincidence.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Captain Invictus posted:

i cant stop laughing at it

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

cargo cult posted:

i cant stop laughing at it

Here's the whole thing for the enjoyment of yourself/others:

Ice Phisherman posted:

People are not vessels for your ideology. Being a hero or a symbol is not a constant state of being, but a fleeting moment in time imperfectly captured by our dumb brains and turned into something it isn't. Eventually people figure out that you're not perfect and uncomplicated, but an actual person, probably flawed and possibly an idiot.

What's important is the message, not the messenger. Stop attaching your hopes and dreams to people. People are not ideals. People are not heroes. So called heroes go home, rummage around in the fridge for something to eat, snore while they sleep and take monster dumps. Being a hero or an ideal is a performative act and you can't possibly be that all of the time, if ever.

You move on because your sense of reality is distorted and apparently always has been. You realize that moving this ideal or that message forward is important. People can advance it for a time and maybe they're okay for a human being, but that's it. Stop idolizing people. They go home and choke toilets with their turds you fool.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I kinda figured. Why's AOC taking it seriously, then?
Assuming she already knows the full story, which she may not: Bigotry is a particularly useful right-wing smear. Partly because leftists have principles when it comes to forcing out shitlords, as we're seeing right now with Northam, and partly because it undercuts the idea that the Republicans are the party of bigots and the Democrats are the party of decent people. This is why they try bullshit like calling Democrats the real racists for supporting abortion. Normally these smears don't stick because there's no substance to them, but anti-semitism is special because there's no shortage of useful Jewish idiots who'll throw the term at anyone who hates Likud and thinks Palestinian lives have value. Since usually "if a bunch of X people are calling a politician anti-X, that politician is probably anti-X" is a pretty good heuristic, that gives the smears credibility. Then the right-wing media amplify it further, centrist opponents within the party start using it as a fig-leaf, and it feeds into itself. This is basically what's been happening to Corbyn for the last couple of years, and it's been a major drag on his leadership. So AOC needs to be extremely careful how she steps to avoid falling into the trap, or at least delay it for as long possible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DynamicSloth posted:

The "story" is based on an alleged friend of the alleged victim sharing an alleged screenshot of an alleged message. Big League Politics (which is run by ex-Breitbart people) didn't even both to talk to the alleged victim before running the story. Fairfax's denial doesn't read as the alleged victim coming forth, it's still the alleged friend trying to push it and exactly fits the lovely story ran by Big League Politics

To pretend this is looking "very real" is simply false. Wait until any actual information comes out before panicking.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Various media outlets including the Washington Post investigated the story for an extended period of time and couldn't find anything.

It was found to not be credible by multiple news outlets investigating it for several months, like, if WaPo is not going to go forward with the story after investigating it for several months it likely is not credible. In the event that it is credible, then I will happily turn on Fairfax because you don't get to be in a position of power over people and be a sexual predator. Until that time I don't think this will come to anything outside of RWM.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean in fairness Northman can't seem to remember whether he posed for pictures in blackface or a KKK outfit, which I mean seems like the sort of thing you would remember?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

JFairfax posted:

I mean in fairness Northman can't seem to remember whether he posed for pictures in blackface or a KKK outfit, which I mean seems like the sort of thing you would remember?

Yeah, here's the thing about this and all the "I don't recall" - it's not a defense. If you think you might have dressed up in a KKK outfit, it means you are the kind of person who would dress up in a KKK outfit. I know for certain that I've never done so, for example.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I haven't seen any reports that media outlets other than the Washington Post have investigated the claim, where did you?

Washinton Post also hasn't released anything impugning her claims they just didn't run a story, given that the accuser's story seems to be about a one time encounter with disputed consent what could they have uncovered.

I'm not saying there isn't a possibility of exculpatory evidence, but "Washinton Post didn't run a story" is not that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

DynamicSloth posted:

If it's real, then Fairfax is a complete and utter grade-A moron for invoking WaPo's decision not to run the story as exonerating evidence. That's just begging for an editorial response about how actually, no, they found the allegations pretty credible and were about 80% sure of them, but just not quite sure enough to run the story.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Gort posted:

It's non-standard deductions. Mortgage interest is a huge deduction, and depending on where you live, state and local taxes including property taxes are a huge deduction. You need to accurately provide that information to your employer so they take out the correct amount each week. If you don't provide that information, your weekly tax deduction is not going to assume non-standard deductions, so you won't have the right amount taken out, and most people who own a house don't know or care to provide it, so they get huge refunds.

So like for me, I pay almost $10k in mortgage interest. I adjusted my withholdings after I bought my house; I pay like $50 less a week in taxes than before I bought my house. If I hadn't changed anything I would instead get a big refund at the end of the year.

Where people are getting crushed are areas like where my parents live in NJ, which is a very high tax state, but in the past, those state and local taxes have been 100% deductible. My parents probably pay $10k a year in property taxes alone, so the $10k SALT limit is huge tax increase to them. There are lots of enclaves of upper middle class people in states like NJ and Connecticut that vote Republican and are about to absolutely eat poo poo and it's going to be glorious.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Piell posted:

Yeah, here's the thing about this and all the "I don't recall" - it's not a defense. If you think you might have dressed up in a KKK outfit, it means you are the kind of person who would dress up in a KKK outfit. I know for certain that I've never done so, for example.

yeah when I heard his denial of the incident on the radio it wasn't "i have never and would never wear these outfits" it was "after reflection I don't think it was me in these pictures"

which is like... errr dude, you really should be able to say convincingly that you've never put on KKK outfit or worn blackface lol

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

If it's real, then Fairfax is a complete and utter grade-A moron for invoking WaPo's decision not to run the story as exonerating evidence. That's just begging for an editorial response about how actually, no, they found the allegations pretty credible and were about 80% sure of them, but just not quite sure enough to run the story.

Or (and this is absolute speculation) the woman saw how the story would be run, most likely a straight "he said, she said" and declined to be quoted for it thus making the story go away.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pumpinglemma posted:

If it's real, then Fairfax is a complete and utter grade-A moron

slander and lies

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Eat your own

https://twitter.com/madwest45/status/1092186986486657024
https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1092396885116096513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of companies and analysts are releasing their findings for a no-deal brexit and, uhhh....

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1092397027449864194?s=21

I was able to find sources for most of those points. poo poo is gonna be wild. There’s no way they let this happen.