Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I assume that when I'm asked for my previous year AGI, I use the one I reported on 1040x (I had to amend, it's on line 1, column C), and not my original 1040 correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

nwin posted:

Anyone? I went and did my w4 for married with 5 exemptions and I figure I’ll redo the calculator in a month.

You filled out through this form or the older paper form?

https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/

9 exemptions for 3 person household with $80k a year does not sound correct.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Gardenator posted:

You filled out through this form or the older paper form?

https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/

9 exemptions for 3 person household with $80k a year does not sound correct.

Through the site you linked.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I assume that when I'm asked for my previous year AGI, I use the one I reported on 1040x (I had to amend, it's on line 1, column C), and not my original 1040 correct?

Not correct, use the original amount.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sullat posted:

Not correct, use the original amount.

Well poo poo, guess it will get rejected again..

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

The Gardenator posted:

Someone explain or link an explanation with examples on how to use the new Sec 199a when the Sch E Rental has a net loss. Can I use the Sec 199a worksheet to carryover the loss to the next year? Person is within the W2 income limit and person rents directly to renter without a third party acting as middleman.

I’d go much more basic. Is this property actually a trade/business for 199A purposes in the first place?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finished/double checked our federal returns. After owing thousands of dollars each year it's nice to finally net a smallish return.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I live and work abroad, and usually 100% of my income is done for non-US clients that pay me outside the US, so it all clearly qualifies as Foreign Eearned.

In 2018 I did some work for a US client, who paid me in my US account. The work was 100% done remotely outside the US but involved dealing with assets and people inside the US (specifically, in Florida).

Can I still qualify that as Foreign Earned?

If not, do I have to pay Sate Taxes in Florida? Or do I just pay Federal Income tax?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Good news, compensation for services is sourced to the place performed, not the residence of your client. So it would still be foreign source income if you performed the services outside the US. In addition, Florida does not have a state income tax.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh, well, that is good news.

Thank you!

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Missing Donut posted:

I’d go much more basic. Is this property actually a trade/business for 199A purposes in the first place?

This is a hypothetical question, I am trying to get a handle on this new form. The closest I found was this:

https://www.watsoncpagroup.com/section-199a-deduction/

But I am still finding this portion of the new tax law confusing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

After getting married I feel like I have no idea how to fill out my W4. All of the calculators I've tried, including the IRS, keeps giving me different answers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Then do it manually.

Take your expected income, figure out what's going to be pretax (401k, insurance premium, HSA), and figure out your actual taxable income.

Then figure out your tax burden. If you don't have kids or deductions, it's pretty easy, but even if you do, you can ballpark it.

Then go play around with paycheck city and the number of exemptions until your paycheck withholdings x 24/26 are about what you're going to owe at the end of the year. Then err on the side of caution.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The Gardenator posted:

This is a hypothetical question, I am trying to get a handle on this new form. The closest I found was this:

https://www.watsoncpagroup.com/section-199a-deduction/

But I am still finding this portion of the new tax law confusing.

Ok, so hypothetically:

Person with 50,000 w2 wages has a rental (100,000 building value) with a net real estate income of 5,000.

20% of 5000 = 1000 which I then place on 1040 line 9.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm curious about what it takes, exactly, to qualify as head of household. I currently live with and take care of my dad, who is disabled. He has no taxable income and the only income he receives is a monthly disability check, so he won't be filing. I've lived with him for almost four years now, but every year I've filed as single and finally a coworker suggested filing as HOH.

I pay for rent (525) and half of the grocery bill (~175), and he pays for electric (90), cable (120), and the other half of grocery (~175,) so I feel I at least qualify on the 50% or more part of it.

But would this actually qualify, and if so, what all paperwork would I need for it? TaxAct isn't much help on it and hasn't asked for his social or anything to list a dependent, and if need be I might go to an actual tax prep place, because honestly, the tax burden between filing as single and HOH is nuts and it would help us out immensely.

Thanks!

e: He's also concerned he'll lose his disability if I claim his as a dependent. Is this true?

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 5, 2019

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

Ok, so hypothetically:

Person with 50,000 w2 wages has a rental (100,000 building value) with a net real estate income of 5,000.

20% of 5000 = 1000 which I then place on 1040 line 9.

Uh, no. It's gotten much more complex than that. You need to run it as a trade/business under code section 162, and the IRS put forth some guidance a couple of weeks before. One of the "safe harbors" put forth is the taxpayer/taxpayer's agents have at least 250 hours into rental activities (or grouped rental activities) so it would appear that a single rental probably doesn't rise to the level of trade or business in terms of the 199a deduction.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Unless it's a garbage domicile that is in constant need of attention and repair, in which case mb you can hit 250 hours?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I live and work abroad, and usually 100% of my income is done for non-US clients that pay me outside the US, so it all clearly qualifies as Foreign Eearned.

In 2018 I did some work for a US client, who paid me in my US account. The work was 100% done remotely outside the US but involved dealing with assets and people inside the US (specifically, in Florida).

Can I still qualify that as Foreign Earned?

If not, do I have to pay Sate Taxes in Florida? Or do I just pay Federal Income tax?

Are you a us citizen? Are you in the US for more than 30 days?

I am having trouble figuring out if you are asking about form 1116 or form 2555.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

AbbiTheDog posted:

Uh, no. It's gotten much more complex than that. You need to run it as a trade/business under code section 162, and the IRS put forth some guidance a couple of weeks before. One of the "safe harbors" put forth is the taxpayer/taxpayer's agents have at least 250 hours into rental activities (or grouped rental activities) so it would appear that a single rental probably doesn't rise to the level of trade or business in terms of the 199a deduction.

This is correct, your rental must meet the definition set forth by section 162. to make things more confusing tax court districts can't even agree on 162. Rule of thumb west coast = single rental MAY meet 162, east coast = single rental will not meet 162.

black.lion posted:

Unless it's a garbage domicile that is in constant need of attention and repair, in which case mb you can hit 250 hours?

The IRS released another provision the 250 hour test can include the hours of people you hire (landscaping, repairs, prop MGMT, etc).

As a CPA in tax I highly highly highly recommend you do not prepare your own return if it includes 199a. Because 199 can be such a big deduction substantial underreporting penalties could occur much more easily. It's also my opinion and the opinion of pretty much all my colleague s that the IRS is going to have a field day auditing 199 so it will be under heavy scrutiny.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

John Dyne posted:

I'm curious about what it takes, exactly, to qualify as head of household. I currently live with and take care of my dad, who is disabled. He has no taxable income and the only income he receives is a monthly disability check, so he won't be filing. I've lived with him for almost four years now, but every year I've filed as single and finally a coworker suggested filing as HOH.

I pay for rent (525) and half of the grocery bill (~175), and he pays for electric (90), cable (120), and the other half of grocery (~175,) so I feel I at least qualify on the 50% or more part of it.

But would this actually qualify, and if so, what all paperwork would I need for it? TaxAct isn't much help on it and hasn't asked for his social or anything to list a dependent, and if need be I might go to an actual tax prep place, because honestly, the tax burden between filing as single and HOH is nuts and it would help us out immensely.

Thanks!

e: He's also concerned he'll lose his disability if I claim his as a dependent. Is this true?
IRS has a "what's my filing status" walkthrough. Just Google IRS head of household, or something along those lines. Answer the question s and print out the summary for your records.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I am having trouble figuring out if you are asking about form 1116 or form 2555.

I don't think it sounds like this guy has any US-connected income but I just wanted to point out to all my fellow tax preparers in this thread that the 30 days thing is meaningless for US people who have established bona fide residence abroad. The 330 days physical presence test is just to help people on their first year overseas establish that they are foreign residents. After that, their apartment lease, foreign tax bill, continued employment, etc. are enough to qualify as resident. Please stop making your overseas clients count days. I have had clients cut short trips home to visit family because their tax accountants had them obsessed with the meaningless 30 day number.

If you earn money while present in the US, even on a business trip as a salaried employee of a foreign company, you owe tax on income earned on those days. It does not matter 1 day, 30 days, or more. But foreign tax credits should be available on that income.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 6, 2019

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

This is correct, your rental must meet the definition set forth by section 162. to make things more confusing tax court districts can't even agree on 162. Rule of thumb west coast = single rental MAY meet 162, east coast = single rental will not meet 162.

The IRS released another provision the 250 hour test can include the hours of people you hire (landscaping, repairs, prop MGMT, etc).

I'm just flat-out telling my clients unless they've done a large amount of work on the rental in 2018, one rental probably isn't going to hit the hourly requirement. Two or more we're making them sign a statement telling us they can back up the hour requirement and will complete a log for 2019.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I'm a US citizen living abroad permanently.

sale on Banksy art posted:

I don't think it sounds like this guy has any US-connected income but I just wanted to point out to all my fellow tax preparers in this thread that the 30 days thing is meaningless for US people who have established bona fide residence abroad. The 330 days physical presence test is just to help people on their first year overseas establish that they are foreign residents. After that, their apartment lease, foreign tax bill, continued employment, etc. are enough to qualify as resident. Please stop making your overseas clients count days. I have had clients cut short trips home to visit family because their tax accountants had them obsessed with the meaningless 30 day number.

If you earn money while present in the US, even on a business trip as a salaried employee of a foreign company, you owe tax on income earned on those days. It does not matter 1 day, 30 days, or more. But foreign tax credits should be available on that income.

Yeah, I definitely qualify for the bona fide test. My work is done 100% abroad (with the rare exception where I'll travel to the US for personal stuff and I'll work from my sister's apartment or the hotel or whatever).

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I have an IRA from my previous employer that was transferred from one bank to another when the first one resigned as a trustee. From what I understand I'm supposed to get a 1099-R from the first bank. They're saying that since it was a transfer directly from one IRA to another IRA they don't have to generate a 1099 because there was no reportable income. They did say they'll be sending me a 5498 showing that it was a rollover and not a distribution but not until May. Is it common to not receive a 1099 in a situation like this? More importantly, since there's no tax implication am I good to file my taxes without it or do I absolutely need to include the 1099?

Edit: After some research I found this:

https://www.massmutual.com/mmfg/pdf/1099faq.pdf posted:

Will I receive a Form 1099-R for a direct rollover or for a trustee-to-trustee transfer of taxqualified assets?
A direct rollover, which is the direct payment of an eligible rollover distribution to a traditional
IRA or other eligible tax-qualified plan, must be reported on Form 1099-R. A trustee-to-trustee
transfer involving no payment or distribution to the participant, which includes a trustee-totrustee transfer from one IRA to another IRA or from one 403(b) plan to another 403(b) plan, is
generally not reported on Form 1099-R.

I guess since my 401k had already been transferred to the first trustee a few years ago this counts as a trustee-to-trustee transfer and I won't be getting a 1099.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 6, 2019

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

AbbiTheDog posted:

As a CPA in tax I highly highly highly recommend you do not prepare your own return if it includes 199a. Because 199 can be such a big deduction substantial underreporting penalties could occur much more easily. It's also my opinion and the opinion of pretty much all my colleague s that the IRS is going to have a field day auditing 199 so it will be under heavy scrutiny.

Ok, thank you for that info. I'm on the west half of AMERICA, so this might be an option.

Anyone looking for reviews on alternate sites to turbotax since turbotax wanted to charge me $40 for Fed and $40 for 1 state:

Freetaxusa.com has a basic efile option where you have to manually type in the w2 and other info and is actually free even with multiple dependants and college deductions. State efile was $13 and there is a code to get 10% off COUPONS10.

Didn't try the $7 upgrade but it seems to allow w2 importing and some other things which most people will not need.

I liked that the site had the option of showing you a preview of whatever form you were just working on.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Good grief the new 1040 is a mess. If you file on paper, start early. As in now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Can someone help me understand the PATH act and whether it will continue to hit me post-divorce?

This was the last year of Married Filing Jointly. With 4 kids, we've been hit by the PATH act every year. Next year, I'll claim 2 of the children. Will I still be using the additional child tax credit at that point? Or is that dependent on income level?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'm a schedule E filer and I had initially elected to treat that income as 199a eligible because TurboTax's guidance leans on the section 162 text : "regularity, continuity, and a profit motive". But I don't meet the safe harbor provisions so I'm gonna change that before I file. I hope TT updates their guidance before people start actually filing these!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone used the eSmart free file? I had no trouble with federal, but then it claimed for state I would only be charged if I submitted electronically... but it asked for my cc info first. Then I printed it and it charged me haha. I contacted them of course.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

Can someone help me understand the PATH act and whether it will continue to hit me post-divorce?

This was the last year of Married Filing Jointly. With 4 kids, we've been hit by the PATH act every year. Next year, I'll claim 2 of the children. Will I still be using the additional child tax credit at that point? Or is that dependent on income level?

What do you mean, 'hit by the PATH act?' If you are claiming the EIC, ACTC, or AOTC, your refund will be delayed until the end of Feb.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Right, I'm just not sure if I'll be claiming the ACTC next year because I'm not sure what the parameters are. I didn't know if it was number of children/income/what

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Right, I'm just not sure if I'll be claiming the ACTC next year because I'm not sure what the parameters are. I didn't know if it was number of children/income/what

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/get-ready-for-taxes-heres-how-the-new-tax-law-revised-family-tax-credits

The IRS site is actually a really great resource for info and instructions on everything to do with filing. If you still have questions, come back, but parameters for just about everything are pretty accessible.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BonerGhost posted:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/get-ready-for-taxes-heres-how-the-new-tax-law-revised-family-tax-credits

The IRS site is actually a really great resource for info and instructions on everything to do with filing. If you still have questions, come back, but parameters for just about everything are pretty accessible.

Okay, I'm looking through publications and my return, and it looks like I claimed the ACTC because I owed $8,112 in taxes for the year, but once the child care credit was applied at $200, it dropped what I was owed to $7,912, $88 below the $8,000 in credit I get for the kids.

Next year I'll owe more, and claim fewer children, so I won't be claiming the ACTC, which I just barely ended up claiming this year.

I think I read all of that correctly.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've been using H&R Block to enter my taxes in, everything is working pretty well but I have a1099-MISC form that they want to charge me $50 for. The amount for the 1099-MISC is $5,000. Should I just pay the H&R Block fee or move along to something else?

Also, do I need to wait for my Vanguard Roth and Vanguard 401K statements? I don't need those for taxes do I?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I drove a lot last year for work. Approx 40k miles of partial reimbursement (28¢/mile), and had oil changes monthly and other maintenance.

Last year my tax professional said I could itemize and get reimbursed for the remaining federal mileage amount (54.5¢-28¢) and the maintenance. But with the Republican tax reform that's all suspended until 2025.

My question is this: am I just out all that now?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

dkj posted:

I drove a lot last year for work. Approx 40k miles of partial reimbursement (28¢/mile), and had oil changes monthly and other maintenance.

Last year my tax professional said I could itemize and get reimbursed for the remaining federal mileage amount (54.5¢-28¢) and the maintenance. But with the Republican tax reform that's all suspended until 2025.

My question is this: am I just out all that now?

Yes

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Your state may still allow it as a deduction but yeah the GOP hosed you.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Your state may still allow it as a deduction but yeah the GOP hosed you.

I'll look into it.

Thank you both for the help.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm using FreeTaxUSA (thanks for the recommendation) and inputting my Roth 401K rollover to Roth IRA and have a question.

Background:
I had a Roth 401K with full employer match on the funds I had contributed rolled over to my Roth IRA in two equal checks, so I technically have 2 1099-Rs for the same distribution amount. I put each of the two in separately in as the boxes went, which were identical except one had a dollar amount for #5 (employee contributions) and the other had a $0. Both had $0 for 2a, Taxable Amount.

I then went to the next page which asked me if I had done a Roth Conversion, which I answered yes to. And I put in the amount of the gross distribution.

I then get hung up on the next question and its subsequent questions: "Have you ever made contributions to your pension plan using after-tax dollars?"

Questions:
I assume I'm supposed to answer yes on the one with the employee contribution, and no on the other. Is that correct?
And if that's correct, on the entry with the employee contributions, am I supposed to to input as my contributions the employee contributions amount (#5) or the gross distribution amount (#1)? I assume it's #5 by the way it's worded, but it also feels incorrect that I would be basically paying taxes on half of the fund growth on this rollover when the whole point of that growth is that I already paid taxes up-front on it.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

obi_ant posted:

I've been using H&R Block to enter my taxes in, everything is working pretty well but I have a1099-MISC form that they want to charge me $50 for. The amount for the 1099-MISC is $5,000. Should I just pay the H&R Block fee or move along to something else?

Also, do I need to wait for my Vanguard Roth and Vanguard 401K statements? I don't need those for taxes do I?

The IRS has a list of "free" tax sites to efile. What I did not realise until recently, is that some are far more generous in what they will charge people. See my above review of an alternative to turbo tax (or H&R Block).

You should wait for your other statements as a general rule, especially if you are below the income threshold to claim the 401k retirement credit.