Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

jokes posted:

If a game is an RPG and your perspective is primarily over-the-shoulder it's gonna be a bad game and you shouldn't buy it. Unless it's Spiderman.

These bullshit video games are basically just bad movies. The Last of Us style games. All bad, all dumb, don't play them.

Except Spiderman.

Last of Us is better than Spiderman. City traversal in Spiderman is boring and requires no skill. Also, the stealth segments with the non-magic characters were boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Splatterhouse was a great ip that needs a $5-10 remake.

Are you talking about the old 16-bit/arcade version because buddy do I have news for you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Dennis System posted:

Last of Us is better than Spiderman

I'm gonna fight you for thinking this way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

jokes posted:

I'm gonna fight you for thinking this way

You're gonna have to fight me, too, squirt. :toughguy:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last of us and spiderman both own.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

thats the correct answer, and the truth is that sony exclusives are some of the best video games around nowadays

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Truth.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
No like that's a high bar to hurdle.

What was the last good Xbox exclusive anyway. Lost Odyssey from 2007?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

City traversal in Spiderman is boring and requires no skill.

I haven't played Spider-Man yet but how the gently caress does making moving around from place to place require "skill" improve a game instead of making it utter poo poo????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

No like that's a high bar to hurdle.

What was the last good Xbox exclusive anyway. Lost Odyssey from 2007?

If you like racing games, which i dont, Forza Horizon 4.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jerry Cotton posted:

I haven't played Spider-Man yet but how the gently caress does making moving around from place to place require "skill" improve a game instead of making it utter poo poo????

I like how Spider-man does it. You don’t need any skill to get from place to place, but if you’re willing to spend some time learning the controls, you can look really cool doing it. That’s all the reward I need tbh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

Isn't that basically Monster Hunter in a nutshell.

The Monster Hunter games aren't RPGs, they're action games. "Empty void where I just kill progressively harder stuff" is fine for an action game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

This is basically a huge tangent (which is fine for this thread!) on me raising my eyebrow about calling Endless Legend a RPG. It's got great fluff, but I don't think anyone runs around the map trying to fit in their factions character, compared to say Stellaris where who&what you want to be is a big part of the empire building.

I don't think anyone calls it an RPG, do they? It's definitely a strategy game that cribbed some RPG concepts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I like how Spider-man does it. You don’t need any skill to get from place to place, but if you’re willing to spend some time learning the controls, you can look really cool doing it. That’s all the reward I need tbh

I always look cool when playing video games :mmmhmm:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The Monster Hunter games aren't RPGs, they're action games. "Empty void where I just kill progressively harder stuff" is fine for an action game

They're action RPGs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They're action RPGs

What RPG elements do they even have? I thought all of the progression was loot-based

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

What RPG elements do they even have? I thought all of the progression was loot-based

A lot of kids think "there are one or more numbers/bars that can go up" makes a game an RPG.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

monster hunter is in no way an rpg, in any sense of the term

e. unless you're talking about monster hunter stories, which absolutely is

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

QuarkJets posted:

World-building is absolutely a core tenet of a good RPG. And narrative more often than not is, also

Imagine if Witcher 3 took place in a forest with monsters in it, and nothing else. You just have Main Quest markers taking you from place to place, telling you to kill certain monsters, and sometimes you level up and become better at killing monsters, and get to choose which monster-killing upgrades you purchase with skill points. Technically that's still an RPG, but it's not good.

My unpopular video game opinion is that this is basically what Witcher 3 is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My unpopular game opinion is that strategy games are generally better when they aren't trying to include lameass plot and worldbuilding, like imperialism 1/2 blows stuff like the endless games/alpha centauri out of the water because it's more about game systems and gitting gud.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The last/only strategy game I've really played was either Steel Panthers World War 2 or World at War and yeah I don't think a story-line would've really done much for it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The last of us is good, but the gameplay is bad

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sounds like some dingbat never played Factions

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Man with Hat posted:

My unpopular video game opinion is that this is basically what Witcher 3 is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

every game is basically 30%+ rpg now. numbers going up makes great content padding, and is a perfect motivator for micro transactions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gradius is a RPG :mmmhmm:
:goonsay:

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tuo posted:

The last of us is good, but the gameplay is bad

It's all bad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Twelve Batmans posted:

It's all bad.

The first like 5-10 minutes are pretty well done

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

The first like 5-10 minutes are pretty well done

DMC2 has the best looking Dante for the whole game but I'm not gonna say that earns the rest of that lovely game a reprieve.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Twelve Batmans posted:

DMC2 has the best looking Dante for the whole game but I'm not gonna say that earns the rest of that lovely game a reprieve.

A reprieve you say

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The DMC reboot was really, really good if you muted the dialogue

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The DMC reboot was really, really good if you muted the dialogue

I think you mean, if you played it in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKHxbOg19s

Also in this mod, when you devil trigger the mustaches get bigger too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twelve Batmans posted:

Holy poo poo that looks like great.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Are you talking about the old 16-bit/arcade version because buddy do I have news for you

Ho-ly poo poo I definitely missed that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DMC was better when it was completely sincere in its cheesiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

Hahahaha, imagine arguing Bloodborne didn't ape the gently caress out of this series.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

this doesn't mean anything

STALKER is an RPG and its progression is entirely loot based. you don't have to have d&d stats

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

this doesn't mean anything

STALKER is an RPG and its progression is entirely loot based. you don't have to have d&d stats

no, if your progression is only based on items it's an adventure game. You need numbers for it to be an RPG.

Kings quest = adventure
Ultima = RPG

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Panzeh posted:

My unpopular game opinion is that strategy games are generally better when they aren't trying to include lameass plot and worldbuilding, like imperialism 1/2 blows stuff like the endless games/alpha centauri out of the water because it's more about game systems and gitting gud.

Historical based strategy are the best rpgs because the backstory and lore is already flawless and they dont even have to spell it out you already know the gist. This is why imo hoi is better than stellaris i already have all the context.

E: the ac series leans on this pretty hard too and u would guess is part of its success because the stories are pretty bland and vanilla but already knowing the wider context makes it seem much deeper than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Super Mario RPG is not an RPG.
Sonic Adventure is not an adventure game.