Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Are any of the robot vacuums actually good for medium-pile carpet? A few years ago, a few claimed, but they were all garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Queen Combat posted:

Are any of the robot vacuums actually good for medium-pile carpet? A few years ago, a few claimed, but they were all garbage.

My front living room has what I would call a medium pile ten foot area rug, and my den has low pile Berber carpet. I think the 890 does a great job with both, with the beater brush and great suction. Obviously not a Miele with powered head good, but keeps it indistinguishably clean for me. The Roomba pulls out cat hair and dust no problem, and it empties a very full bin every day, so I'm pretty happy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Forget the wallet and just get a silicone card sleeve for your phone and never look back. Best quality of life improvement, especially as you'll never lose or forget your wallet again, and it forces you to trim down to 2-3 cards and a twenty in cash.

I was thinking about that. But I use my phone in bed, sometimes in the bathroom to stream music and I don’t want to take the case in and off all the time.

Usually 4 cards and a $20 is enough, but I need another work ID so I need to expand.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a slim front pocket wallet like this one. But I want it with 3 slots on each side instead of two. The only one I could find was Coach one and a bunch of cheap flimsy looking Amazon ones. Any suggestions on brands?

You might like wallets from Ainste. Pay no attention to their horrible marketing, just look at the products page. I had one and it was good, unfortunately my dog liked it too

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Bellroy frequently comes up as a suggestion for slim wallets on the internet. Haven't handled one myself though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Trabant posted:

Bellroy frequently comes up as a suggestion for slim wallets on the internet. Haven't handled one myself though.

I have a Bellroy and it’s good for sure but I don’t know if they have a slim style like they’re looking for.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Can anyone recommend a good trifold wallet? I can’t stand them myself, but it’s my father-in-law’s birthday and it’s all he wants. Willing to spend up to $200 bucks, but I’m having a difficult time finding a not-lovely-quality trifold.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a slim front pocket wallet like this one. But I want it with 3 slots on each side instead of two. The only one I could find was Coach one and a bunch of cheap flimsy looking Amazon ones. Any suggestions on brands?

Not the style you are after, but I’ve been a fan of the Slimfold soft shell micro. Only issue is that it only has 3 slots for immediate card access (1 ID slot and two credit card slots. Though you can fit 2 cards in the ID slot) Everything else would have to go in the 2 internal card holding areas.

Footprint would be a bit bigger than what you are looking at, but the same thickness.

https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

1redflag posted:

Can anyone recommend a good trifold wallet? I can’t stand them myself, but it’s my father-in-law’s birthday and it’s all he wants. Willing to spend up to $200 bucks, but I’m having a difficult time finding a not-lovely-quality trifold.

Check Etsy if you haven’t yet.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

1redflag posted:

Like I said above Bellroy is quality and not crazy expensive

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I want a robot vacuum that will smoke my cigarettes for me.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

1redflag posted:

Try Tanner Goods

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
This may be the wrong thread but I'm looking for a resume writing service. Years ago I had a Goon in SA mart help me draft one up and it's been great up until this point. I've had a shift in roles and goals and I want my resume to reflect it in the new field.

Anyone recommend a good Resume building service, centered around IT and Project Management?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd like to get a custom print running shirt made for a race. Is there a good one off custom shirt site that has some good athletic shirt material to pick from?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I picked up one of these to help with pet hair (large dog and two cats) and it’s been awesome. It is intended for hardwoods (or very short carpet) so keep that in mind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HW9XM7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v.riCb9VRP59E

I have this exact one and I really like it. It has a bristle brush, but as long as you clean it every now and then, its not too bad. I'd say it makes it back to its base 80% of the time, and I've only ever had it get stuck once in the past 6 months.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Anyone have a recommendation for good bias lighting to put on the back of a TV? I hear it's all the rage but there are a bajillion options on Amazon.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I just use a stand of multicolor led Christmas lights that I got on clearance, I just wrapped it around the where the vesa mount attaches and it worked surprisingly well

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

surf rock posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for good bias lighting to put on the back of a TV? I hear it's all the rage but there are a bajillion options on Amazon.

I've bought the Luminoodle brand but haven't installed it yet, reviews looked positive anyway.

Request - Suggestions for a LED desk lamp. Looking for fairly bright light bonus points if I can easily reflect it off a wall for less direct light. I have one of those flexible LED clamp lights right now but it isn't very bright and I would prefer a sturdy base over a clamp design.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
As far as lamps, find your favorite lamp design, and put one of these bad boys in there. I like cool white, but both are the best LED bulbs with the best CRI I have ever come across.

I spent more than $400 on LED bulbs last year :negative:

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I thought this would be easy to Google but apparently not!

I'm looking for an independent power button or switch that can sit unobtrusively on a desk. Context: I have a bunch of lights plugged into a power strip and I like turning them all on/off at once, but I hate bending over to the ground every time I wanna flick the switch. Is there a name for what I'm looking for?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Christmas tree extension cord? They have a big clicky button. I used one when I had a TV that wouldn't shut down nicely and would freeze, but would start with a power cycle every time.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

friendly 2 da void posted:

I'm looking for an independent power button or switch that can sit unobtrusively on a desk. Context: I have a bunch of lights plugged into a power strip and I like turning them all on/off at once, but I hate bending over to the ground every time I wanna flick the switch. Is there a name for what I'm looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Double-Safety-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B00IJ762EO/

You know you want it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

friendly 2 da void posted:

How about remote controls?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Con...s=outlet+remote

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Looks like the clapper grew up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CGKLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.YrsCbDFRAHHM

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You can also get a wifi powered outlet plug, if you have a smartphone to turn it on and off with.

Cage has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have a wireless doorbell they like?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
If you're not looking for anything fancy (like video camera doorbells) I just went with this doorbell since it was the cheapest and most "normal" looking one I could find on Amazon. Pretty much just plug and play, I have no problems with it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I have one I like, I'll check when I get home and share the manufacturer/name.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a specific thread for mattresses or would I look for recommendations here? Trying to decide between latex, memory foam or some kind of hybrid. And also if there's a big difference between say a 400 dollar Zinus memory foam mattress vs a 1200 one or 400 dollar latex hybrid vs 1200 all latex.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bamhand posted:

Is there a specific thread for mattresses or would I look for recommendations here? Trying to decide between latex, memory foam or some kind of hybrid. And also if there's a big difference between say a 400 dollar Zinus memory foam mattress vs a 1200 one or 400 dollar latex hybrid vs 1200 all latex.

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com has more information than you know what to do with.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Awesome, thank you!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have a Leesa mattress and I like it. But one thing to consider about it and I suspect any other foam/latex mattress is that it doesn't really breathe. So if you sleep hot, BOY WILL YOU SLEEP HOT. It's not a huge issue for me since I tend to be cold, but I do occasionally wake up drenched in sweat.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

bamhand posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Where is a good place to get a cheapo refurbished desktop that I'll only use for emulators and school work?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Leavemywife posted:

Where is a good place to get a cheapo refurbished desktop that I'll only use for emulators and school work?

Ask in the hardware/devices forums; they usually have a stickied-topic on the front page that is a “ask one-off questions here about what hardware you should buy” and they are usually on the bleeding-edge on any deals, etc.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Go to your local thrift store or pawn

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

1redflag posted:

Ask in the hardware/devices forums; they usually have a stickied-topic on the front page that is a “ask one-off questions here about what hardware you should buy” and they are usually on the bleeding-edge on any deals, etc.

This is probably best but depending on how much money you are willing to spend a new PC from Walmart looks to be $110-160 depending on which one you buy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thank you!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kitchen table chairs that won't break the bank? I got a set with my current table 2 years ago and they've more or less fallen apart since. They were pretty cheap on one of the random deals sights but still getting 6 cost more than the table did. Rather than stick them back together with wood glue and extra supports, looking to get 4 nicer ones and just use folding for the occasions we go over. (Or do quality affordable chairs not exist and I should go back to plan glue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Kitchen table chairs that won't break the bank? I got a set with my current table 2 years ago and they've more or less fallen apart since. They were pretty cheap on one of the random deals sights but still getting 6 cost more than the table did. Rather than stick them back together with wood glue and extra supports, looking to get 4 nicer ones and just use folding for the occasions we go over. (Or do quality affordable chairs not exist and I should go back to plan glue)

Check estate sales or auctions for old, solid wood chairs. Those things will last a lifetime and sometimes you can get a whole set for like $50