Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Peechka posted:

Can you blame them though? Both titanfalls pretty much failed to deliver. Sure they might fo been great games, but $$ rules the world.

Both Titanfalls were set up for failure with completely lovely release dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's just ok.

I think they need to bring parkour into it and give every character a grappling hook.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Peechka posted:

Can you blame them though? Both titanfalls pretty much failed to deliver. Sure they might fo been great games, but $$ rules the world.

Does it make people feel smart and savvy to say "sure it sucks but corporations exist to make money!" Thanks for the recap, champ, doesn't change that for 99.9999% of us that aren't EA Shareholders this absolutely eats it

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Peechka posted:

they both had release timing so stupid it’s almost inconceivable to intentionally pick a worse time

just like this one because bf5 has its br mode come out soon lol

maybe the founder of Respawn hosed an EA execs daughter and they are on a quest to ruin them

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peechka posted:

Oh yeah, and this is definitely going to bring in the Fortnite bucks. Unnhhhh-huh

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

I heard grumblings they canceled that. Is it still coming?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Oh yeah, and this is definitely going to bring in the Fortnite bucks. Unnhhhh-huh

LOl, not saying it will but also saying releasing titanfall 3 when the others poo poo the bed is also a smart move?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll admit I mostly ignored TF1 until I got it for way cheap (was never into COD games), and it turned out to be awesome, my bad. TF2 was sent out because EA hoped to strike at COD while it was looking weak and cannibalized sales of their own game.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Vince actually chose TF2s release date because he thought it could genuinely compete with BF & CoD.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Peechka posted:

I heard grumblings they canceled that. Is it still coming?

Battlefield 5's BR mode, Firestorm, is absolutely coming in late March/early April. Big streamers have played it at EA events and given feedback. Apparently, it's very good (if you like BR) and does a few new things with the mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

Can you imagine, creating the smoothest, funnest movement system in a shooter and then having to delete it all because focus tests say it was too "confusing"?

Quake was actually mega popular

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

In Training posted:

Quake was actually mega popular

Clearly, I was talking about Tribes, fool.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Just caught up on the thread, words cannot express how absolutely upset I am right now.

I knew EA buying Respawn would be bad, but this...

:negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Peechka posted:

LOl, not saying it will but also saying releasing titanfall 3 when the others poo poo the bed is also a smart move?

Yeah, being unique is never a smart move, let's just copy some of the biggest games in the world right now and try and chip away at that consumer base to get those big bucks. Sounds like it's a sure-fire way to make bank.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Vince actually chose TF2s release date because he thought it could genuinely compete with BF & CoD.

Really, because I recall an interview after release where they pretty much flat out said "yeah, we don't know wtf they were thinking."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, being unique is never a smart move, let's just copy some of the biggest games in the world right now and try and chip away at that consumer base to get those big bucks. Sounds like it's a sure-fire way to make bank.

This worked very well in the MMO space when various games became huge successes and knocked World of Warcraft off the throne between 2005 - 2012. lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This worked very well in the MMO space when various games became huge successes and knocked World of Warcraft off the throne between 2005 - 2012. lol

im one of 500 games that came out between 2002 and 2006 advertised as "The Halo Killer."

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Played a round as a robot with the grappling hook. Couldn't find any weapons except for a grenade. Teammates kept stealing anything that I could use. Tried double jumping, wall running, and being fast. Couldn't do any of those three. Died from a lagged out sniper shot. Total playtime was 5 minutes but it felt like it was 5 hours with how slow everything was.

Uninstalled it. I'll just stick with TF2. Battle Royale is such a stupid game mode, it should have been packaged with other game modes because like hell I'm going to spend most of my limited time wasting it with weapon hunts and being slow as gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordja posted:

Can you imagine, creating the smoothest, funnest movement system in a shooter and then having to delete it all because focus tests say it was too "confusing"?

:(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Played a round. Wow it's really loving not fun. The movement is incredibly sluggish like you're wearing a lead belt. My TF2 muscle memory keeps wanting to slidehop but instead I just sprint for a second then crouch in place. Even Fortnite has a more fluid movement system than this.

It has a slide tho

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Interest level in titanless movement crippled BR game zero. What an utterly shocking and not at all predictable move which EA had absolutely no hand in no sir.

Much later edit: Tried this out on a friends computer and I was completely wrong about how fun this is. Not a great Titanfall game, but a decent BG game for sure.
Would still prefer TF3 :(

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 11, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It has a slide tho

Slide right into the garbage can

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lemming posted:

lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It has a slide tho

When you can't combo your slide into a wallrun/double jump and keep going fast it doesn't really matter.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Lemming posted:

If the Apex Legends thread needs a title.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I just hope they quickly add a "hero" who can wallrun as a passive

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Played a round. Felt awful. Not like "Titanfall 2 just without wallrunning" since TF2 had amazing-feeling movement but like it was an entirely different engine and game. If I didn't know who the dev team was I would never guess it was by Respawn. Baffling.

On top of that it has exactly the same drawbacks as your average Battle Royale game and the unique gimmicks do nothing to lift it up. It tries a few new things (you can revive teammates by recovering their corpses and making a risky trip to a respawn device) and the map has a lot more verticality than Blackout but that's it.

Edit: It doesn't even look good! TF games had nice little sci-fi thing going on that while a little generic was still recognisable and cool and they even tossed that out!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 4, 2019

panda clue
May 23, 2014
everyone outside of this thread seems to think this game is a welcome surprise and pretty fun (if you're interested in the genre)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I'll be the first to admit I'm very, very salty that we lost Titanfall 3 to this after Titanfall 2 was so good.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

they both had release timing so stupid it’s almost inconceivable to intentionally pick a worse time

maybe the founder of Respawn hosed an EA execs daughter and they are on a quest to ruin them

The founder of Respawn is the one who picked the lovely release date

I don’t think TF1 had a bad release date, it was the tent pole release of the XBone’s first Q1

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

AdmiralViscen posted:

The founder of Respawn is the one who picked the lovely release date

I don’t think TF1 had a bad release date, it was the tent pole release of the XBone’s first Q1

you’re right, i just needed to exhale. still bummed there are no titans

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

panda clue posted:

everyone outside of this thread seems to think this game is a welcome surprise and pretty fun (if you're interested in the genre)

Just going to go out on a limb and assume none of them really got into TF2. They don't know what they're missing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Fun so far.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If they ended the stream with "btw Titanfall 3 is coming... Eventually" like nobody would be this salty

It's that by all reports this has replaced Titanfall 3 at Respawn

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Maybe this game needs it's own thread so the Goons bitter that this isn't TF3 have their own place to commiserate, and new people who passed over TF2 might be able to find it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've played a few rounds, and it seems pretty fun! The weapons in particular sound and look fantastic, really chunky boomy sounds. Yeah, there's no wallrunning, but there are ziplines throughout the map, movement is decently speedy, and you can slide all over the place and down inclines.

Inventory management seems a bit clunky, it's gonna take some getting used to. I also don't know why throwing a grenade can't just have a hotkey. You select it and then press shoot to throw it, and it's clunky and annoying. I can't see a way in the controls to just hotkey it.

I'm also not that keen on it forcing you to play with a team - I can't see why a solo mode wouldn't work.

Overall though, it's fun and a decent change of pace to the other BR games on the market. It plays most similarly to Blackout, but there's enough to differentiate it for it to be worth a shot, and free's free. Having to unlock characters is Real Bad though - there are already 50 gajillion cosmetics to buy ffs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Overdrift posted:

Maybe this game needs it's own thread so the Goons bitter that this isn't TF3 have their own place to commiserate, and new people who passed over TF2 might be able to find it.

Everybody would be fine with it if it had the good movement, it's not that it's not TF3 it's that they took a butcher's cleaver to the game and ripped out its heart and soul.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wheeee posted:

If they ended the stream with "btw Titanfall 3 is coming... Eventually" like nobody would be this salty

Have they ever even said that TF3 is coming though? I'm assuming TF2 was 'disappointing' enough for EA that TF3 was never even on the table.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wheeee posted:

This isn't what I've read. What I read is that TF3 has been delayed for graphics reasons. They want to do an engine upgrade/swap. It certainly hasn't been cancelled or replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AdmiralViscen posted:

The Xbone launch was a massive wet fart though. lol

Gunder posted:

This isn't what I've read. What I read is that TF3 has been delayed for graphics reasons. They want to do an engine upgrade/swap. It certainly hasn't been cancelled or replaced.

They literally said "This is what we've been making in lieu of TF3."