Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Or we let go of the nuclear stupidity and go for renewable energy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rex-Goliath posted:

100% agreed but i absolutely do not trust international shipping companies to run nuclear reactors without causing massive ecological harm

all shipping should be nationalized, because you aren't going to get them to slap solar panels and sails on anything without nationalizing them so why not just chose the best option. We already have a service that makes extremely robust nuclear reactors for doing ocean poo poo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lambert posted:

Botes don't have enough surface area ya dingus

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for dragging my rear end to the appropriate level of savviness, the dipshit, i had no idea that existed

edit: the romans used archimedes' screw-based, slave-powered wooden pumps to drain their mines :coal: they werent mining coal tho

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 5, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lambert posted:

I have some unfortunate news concerning renewable energy and land rights

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a gigantic nuclear powered floating train across the pacific

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

pneumatic tubes

everywhere

edit for... content? the musk thread says tesla could be eligible for incorporation into the s&p 500 in a few months or whatever, if they keep being profitable or some such thing. what kind of a dent would it make in The Better Of The Two Numbers Anybody Knows About if/when tsla collapses after it gets in?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 5, 2019

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

importing anime by train, nothing can possibly go wrong with this.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i unironically can't wait for the central planning committee to be half train obsessed goons

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what is a boat but a train for water

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah i love one piece

a sea train in every port

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rastor posted:

it's pumping mostly water with some soap and some nasty chemicals deep into the ground so that the pressure cracks the shale

and sand. If there’s nothing the hold the cracks open when the pressure stops, it’ll close right back up again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

I've been thinking about this lately and came to the conclusion that it's not a bad thing. Without government subsidization, private corporations would never invest money into finding a cure/treatment for very rare diseases because the total cost of the research divided by the number of patients would require the cost to be too high for the patients in order for the corporations to break even.

This drug in particular was invented decades ago and was free for decades in short your brain might be borked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/annalecta/status/1092667886064361472?s=19

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Since I didn't see a post about yesterday's Auto sales data, it came in low (16.7m vs 17.2m expected) and is down from 17.55 last year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lambert posted:

Nuclear is cool and good and while I don't think you deserved a 6er for that, I do think you're an idiot that should defend your bad take.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Also lmao germany wants to buy a bunch of shares of German company stocks but have them be nonvoting because Chinese firms are just buying companies and selling all of their parents to Chinese companies.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Literally just spending public money on a direct handout to a corporation to defend that corporation from capitalism. Lmao lol heh laffo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Skyl3lazer posted:

Since I didn't see a post about yesterday's Auto sales data, it came in low (16.7m vs 17.2m expected) and is down from 17.55 last year.

Seriously can I get a link? I'm having trouble finding this.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Xelkelvos posted:

Nuclear is cool and good and while I don't think you deserved a 6er for that, I do think you're an idiot that should defend your bad take.

nuclear is dumb because every modern reactor has been an insanely expensive boondoggle that bankrupts everyone, despite tons of federal money having been dumped into it. and the electricity is delivers is only cheap in cost if you just pretend the construction costs never happened (these take decades to pay off)

when you have some states getting up to 40-50% of their energy from wind/solar with significantly less investment, you have to question if nuclear is really worth it at this point

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously can I get a link? I'm having trouble finding this.

TradingEconomics has it, usually the data is from FRED but I don't see it on their website. Idk where they got it from actually.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

nuclear is dumb because every modern reactor has been an insanely expensive boondoggle that bankrupts everyone, despite tons of federal money having been dumped into it. and the electricity is delivers is only cheap in cost if you just pretend the construction costs never happened (these take decades to pay off)

when you have some states getting up to 40-50% of their energy from wind/solar with significantly less investment, you have to question if nuclear is really worth it at this point

yeah like i love nuclear power as a nerd but its not going to work in the us until we stop doing capitalism and by the time we've stopped doing capitalism we'll either already have renewables and friends (or the complete collapse people are right and we have nothing)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

*every for-profit reactor*

the navy has been building and operating reactors safely and under budget for 60 years. they're good at it because they have a government pipeline that controls every element from initial manufacture to decommissioning to forensic teardown and autopsy of the expended cores before disposal. that autopsy data feeds back into the design process of the next generation. because of this modern cores can last 30 years with only routine maintenance. were only now seeing the data of cores manufactured in the 80's finding its way into the most modern production platform. you get continuity of ownership, continuity of records, continuity of trained people.

it works well specifically because its not a private industry

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

drat sounds like private industry sucks rear end

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
so yeah we need a mix of stored energy solar and nuclear to make a green future. solar mostly handles all your residential and commercial demand while nuclear smooths out the big multi-megawatt demands of industry

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

*every for-profit reactor*

the navy has been building and operating reactors safely and under budget for 60 years. they're good at it because they have a government pipeline that controls every element from initial manufacture to decommissioning to forensic teardown and autopsy of the expended cores before disposal. that autopsy data feeds back into the design process of the next generation. because of this modern cores can last 30 years with only routine maintenance. were only now seeing the data of cores manufactured in the 80's finding its way into the most modern production platform. you get continuity of ownership, continuity of records, continuity of trained people.

it works well specifically because its not a private industry

except that budget is secret so we're not actually sure what the real cost per mwh would be if they built reactors for electricity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
who gives a poo poo about profitability when its the only way to generate large amounts of power without CO2 emissions

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Trabisnikof posted:

except that budget is secret so we're not actually sure what the real cost per mwh would be if they built reactors for electricity.

except the budget is public because its a government funded aparatus

and its really hard to calculate equivalent costs because those reactors goal isnt to sit still and generate power

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

It probably wouldn't 100% reflect real costs due to the involved contractors trying to grift the government. It might be close, but without the actual cost proposals from both sides, the actual cost would be a mystery.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who gives a poo poo about profitability when its the only way to generate large amounts of power without CO2 emissions

But muh renewables profits (and subsidies)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
yeah youre not going to get an itemized bill that only covers the individual reactor operating costs but you can do some statistics on the federal budget

Serf
May 5, 2011

cc, expanding the horizons of things they're wrong about lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trabisnikof posted:

also, the navy's nuclear reactors don't have to compete with other types of energy (including renewables). they're also smaller and have significantly different safety needs - especially since they don't need to ever have their fuel rods replaced, unlike large-scale commercial reactors

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

so yeah we need a mix of stored energy solar and nuclear to make a green future. solar mostly handles all your residential and commercial demand while nuclear smooths out the big multi-megawatt demands of industry

except you don't really need to build more big baseload plants like that anymore. with modern power electronics you can provide the same ancillary grid services (voltage regulation, blackstart, etc) from renewables and storage.

the other side of the coin is massive plants make for inflexible grids and inflexible grids do poorly with high renewables penetration. that's part of why I think we'll never build fusion plants, they'll be too big for anyone to want to buy and run.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we can install 5 gigawatts of wind a hella of a lot faster than we can 1 gigawatt of nuclear right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

money is a fiction. nuclear is safe and stable. wind/solar is good too, we should have that too. the thing about nuclear is that it gives us the massive throughput we need for certain activities, which is going to be necessary when oil eventually runs out or we're forced to stop using oil entirely because of the climate emergency.

essentially,

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nuclear is better than coal in terms of co2 output but if you look at the full life cycle of nuclear (fuel extraction, construction, etc) it is many times worse than renewables

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
dayum ... navy good?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

except you don't really need to build more big baseload plants like that anymore. with modern power electronics you can provide the same ancillary grid services (voltage regulation, blackstart, etc) from renewables and storage.

the other side of the coin is massive plants make for inflexible grids and inflexible grids do poorly with high renewables penetration. that's part of why I think we'll never build fusion plants, they'll be too big for anyone to want to buy and run.

hard to buy a fusion power plant when there are no more private energy companies, yes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1092589787259781125?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

money is a fiction. nuclear is safe and stable. wind/solar is good too, we should have that too. the thing about nuclear is that it gives us the massive throughput we need for certain activities, which is going to be necessary when oil eventually runs out or we're forced to stop using oil entirely because of the climate emergency.

essentially,

except we don't actually need nuclear for that we can use renewables and storage to get the same output and we can build renewables and storage now without having to change our economics first