Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Aardvark posted:

Sir, sir, we can't do two things at once here. Sir.

I thought this was an In-n-out drivethrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

HelloSailorSign posted:

I thought this was an In-n-out drivethrough.
My bad, sorry. We also need a solution to climate change denial and police brutality, I should have factored those in to my idea.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

So I just got a postcard in the mail and apparently San Jose is switching residents over to a new energy provider. It's not complete freedom from PG&E: sounds like they still own the infrastructure and I'm still billed through them, but the bulk of my power is going to be purchased by the city and from at least 45% renewables, with an option for purchasing 100% renewable. Also it's supposed to be cheaper but that sounds like veering into loving magic territory so I'll have to wait to see my first couple bills after the switch over in the next month. Seems like a good thing though?

SF has had a similar thing for a few years.

Service/outages are identical to PG&E since they run the distribution network, the municipal part just does generation.

Costwise, the prices go PG&E 33% renewables < municipal 40% renewables < municipal 100% renewables < PG&E 100% renewables

So cheaper if you want to buy renewables, more expensive if you're fine with gas/coal

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Infinite Karma posted:

My bad, sorry. We also need a solution to climate change denial and police brutality, I should have factored those in to my idea.

You have to order the shake iceberg style and get the fries unchopped.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jaxyon posted:

You must be new to DR. This is their shtick.

Yep. Quick reminder: :siren: Don't engage with Dead Reckoning :siren:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Red Deackoning

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'll have my social services animal style, please.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Listen people if you can't solve all the edge cases within your posts on an online forum then I don't know why you even talk about this stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly the question of cost differential itself is beside the point. CA is the 5th largest economy in the world there's no fuckin way we can't house homeless people.

Tax the gently caress out of 3rd residence or more esp on high value properties. None of this "oh well 3 properties owned by 3 separate LLCs lol" crap. Pay for housing and healthcare.

Having homeless veterans in the richest state of richest country on Earth ever is some Nero poo poo

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am expecting San Luis Obispo to be washed in the Pacific any day now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm waiting for somebody to try kayaking down the creek that goes through downtown again and having to be rescued because that creek isn't exactly a navigable waterway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Moridin920 posted:

Honestly the question of cost differential itself is beside the point. CA is the 5th largest economy in the world there's no fuckin way we can't house homeless people.

Tax the gently caress out of 3rd residence or more esp on high value properties. None of this "oh well 3 properties owned by 3 separate LLCs lol" crap. Pay for housing and healthcare.

Having homeless veterans in the richest state of richest country on Earth ever is some Nero poo poo

We do have quite a lot of housing now being developed in Norcal. As my house burned I now live in an apartment that costs more than my mortgage,while my insurance pays for it its still wild. There is a row of people who live in their cars i see as its really horrible. This state has 50% OF ALL the homeless people in the entire country.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

SF has had a similar thing for a few years.

Service/outages are identical to PG&E since they run the distribution network, the municipal part just does generation.
SF owns its own power generation? Does that account for all the power consumed by residents, or does PG&E provide a significant amount of the power too?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

my house burned
drat, sorry to hear that!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PG&E actually doesn’t own many power plants anymore, they were forced to sell most of them except some hydro (staircase of power) and Diablo Canyon (rip).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Newsoms "serving the homeless" where I work and his press team let out it's because he lost a bet, and PD is putting people's tents in a dump truck down the block

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man that's a heartless take. I've never met anyone who publicly stated they're solution was to just murder all the homeless and ignore them, but lol if I think for a second that you'd actually believe it.

No in fact, the homeless do not deserve to die because they're mentally ill and scream awful poo poo. In fact that makes them even more deserving of our help, because they need so much more.

Pomp posted:

Newsoms "serving the homeless" where I work and his press team let out it's because he lost a bet, and PD is putting people's tents in a dump truck down the block

but my allies

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Update: a guest threw her food at him

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678779/Is-Utah-still-a-model-for-solving-chronic-homelessness.html

quote:

Despite a recovering economy, the total number of individuals who had contact with the state's network of homeless services rose in recent years, from 12,241 in 2014 to 13,614 in 2016. The Road Home reported that in 2016, its emergency shelters served more than 8,000 unique individuals, and it is on pace to top 9,000 this year — more than double the pre-recession annual count from 2004 through 2007.

quote:

The definitions matter, and are legally fixed by federal law. The nonchronically homeless are those on the street for brief periods, and they don't have a formal disability. The nonchronic group, experts say, include up to 85 percent of those who sleep in emergency shelters over the course of a year. These clients often end up couch surfing with friends and family before ultimately finding stable housing.

The chronically homeless, in contrast, is a much smaller group. To qualify as "chronic," clients must be homeless for an entire year or have been homeless for at least four periods over the past three years which together total 365 days. They must also have a diagnosed disability, for which serious mental illness or disabling drug addition both qualify...

Finally, there was confusion about how the chronically homeless were counted and categorized, leading to disputes over how much Utah had actually accomplished.

Kohler places some blame for the 2015 confusion on federal agencies that changed definitions and methods of counting the homeless during the previous decade.

Once a year on a night in January, the state does a comprehensive homelessness census, the Point in Time Count, required by federal law. This involves counting by hand the number of people on streets and in shelters throughout the state...

Prior to 2009, Corinth says, Utah mistakenly counted clients in transitional housing (semipermanent housing for up to two years) as chronically homeless. This inflated Utah’s chronic homeless numbers. When the mistake was corrected in 2010, the correction created an illusion of sudden and dramatic progress.

quote:

Tsemberis says the best estimates are that between 50 percent and 80 percent of the chronically homeless nationwide are out there at least in part due to serious substance abuse issues. And many of those, he says, are dual diagnosis, addicts who also suffer from mental illness, with the drugs often a form of self-medication.

Serious substance abuse problems are tougher than mental illness for Housing First to address, Tsemberis said. Most of the 15 percent to 20 percent of clients who wash out of his Housing First programs are serious addicts.

“The problem is that they mostly use with others,” Tsemberis said. “The in and out of frequent guests quickly becomes a lease violation. Some guests won't leave. Apartments are lost. After several cycles of this, it becomes clear the person needs a harm reduction program in a secure building where someone else is in charge of the front door."

The program has had some successes, but the idea that Utah has cracked the code on homelessness and the rest of us just chose not to do it is simply false.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 7, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Dead Reckoning posted:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678779/Is-Utah-still-a-model-for-solving-chronic-homelessness.html

The program has had some successes, but the idea that Utah has cracked the code on homelessness and the rest of us simply chose not to do it is simply false.

So do nothing then?

LA should be able to do more. Much more. Ditto San Francisco.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Another PG&E gas line exploded in SF. No one was killed but add it to the pile

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sounds like somebody forgot to call 811:

https://ksby.com/news/2019/02/06/gas-line-explosion-in-san-francisco-sets-building-on-fire-2 posted:

Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White says workers for a private contractor cut a natural gas line while installing fiber-optic wires at a business.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

So do nothing then?
Do stuff, but have reasonable expectations about what you will be able to achieve. Dual diagnosis individuals can be incredibly resistant to getting treatment for either their addictions or their psychiatric needs, and forcing them into programs is only going to make them fight it more.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its OK, PG&E crews struck a gas line today near where I live today and the area is still shutdown 2 hours later

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
just spitballing here but i’m pretty sure that people would have an easier go about getting a job and getting off of substances if they had a roof over their heads and a stable place to live.

just throwing that out there.

edit: wait this is dead reckoning nevermind

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's like the Onion. He fools you into paying attention until you realize the name.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pomp posted:

So I guess maybe you didn't know this, but the governors of the states the teams in the superbowl are from always have a bet - whichever state loses, the governor (and/or other officials) have to do community service while wearing the opposing team's jersey.
Happens every year, and they usually use the opportunity to try to highlight issues they think matter.

So, we can debate in general whether the community service bet is bad because it can seemingly trivialize an issue by reducing it to, "aw man, I lost a bet," but this isn't just 'Gavin ... bad?'

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I guess maybe you didn't know this, but the governors of the states the teams in the superbowl are from always have a bet - whichever state loses, the governor (and/or other officials) have to do community service while wearing the opposing team's jersey.
Happens every year, and they usually use the opportunity to try to highlight issues they think matter.

So, we can debate in general whether the community service bet is bad because it can seemingly trivialize an issue by reducing it to, "aw man, I lost a bet," but this isn't just 'Gavin ... bad?'

I wonder what typically happens when the two teams are from the same state? I like to imagine that the Governor does community service in the losing team's jersey anyways.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

He was half an hour late and made my job 10x harder so screw him anyway

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

VikingofRock posted:

I wonder what typically happens when the two teams are from the same state? I like to imagine that the Governor does community service in the losing team's jersey anyways.

The radio today said that the last time a ca team won was when the 49ers beat the chargers, and the governor didn't have anyone to bet.

Mayors probably did though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
AFCSME are planning on going on strike next week I think. Please support them in any way you can, my wife will be out there picketing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oakland teachers will likely go on strike soon too

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Katrina Foley just announced she's running against John Moorlach for State Senate District 37.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Anchor Brewing workers have started a unionization campaign. Anchor can voluntarily recognize the union otherwise the union will file with the National Labor Relations Board and in 4-6 weeks there will be a vote (known as a card check) where every non-management employee votes yes or no on forming a union. If Anchor's Union is recognized or is approved in the card check, then Anchor will be the first craft beer company in the country to be unionized.

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/anchor-steam-workers-unionize/

https://splinternews.com/one-of-the-worlds-most-iconic-craft-breweries-is-unioni-1832439046

From the second article:

quote:

Nationally, “average weekly wages in breweries decreased 25 percent over the 2006–16 period,” according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The BLS doesn’t differentiate between brewers at craft breweries and macrobreweries, and a spokesperson for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represents about 5,000 production workers at the latter, told Splinter that its members’ salaries had not reflected that downward trend.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dont particularly love anchor steam but i may rotate it into my beer purchases more when the union wins

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love Anchor beers so this is a win-win for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
At least Anchor Steam isn't like making love in a canoe. It's a decent beer.

I wonder if any of the craft beer makers in San Diego are unionized?

My dad ran a parking garage in Manhattan in the 70's and early '80's. Union shop and he was 100% good with that (family has a famous union guy, his great uncle or something).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I was out last night distributing posters to sympathetic businesses in the mission, and the organizers repeatedly claimed that no craft beer manufacturers in the country are union shops.

If anyone can be in SF at noon on Sunday, we're going to be hitting the neighborhood around the brewery. Jackson Playground.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Are craft breweries known to be loving over labor? The BLS study linked above didn't differentiate between brewery size for wage depression, and I'm torn on what's more likely: that the big mega-breweries are loving labor because they know they're big enough to get away with it, that craft breweries have a startup mindset of "work 80 hours without pay for us, trust me it'll all pay off when we get bought out by AB-Inbev! And hey, free beer in the meantime!", or both.

Wish I liked Anchor Steam but I'm just not a big lager fan, even good craft lagers.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

Are craft breweries known to be loving over labor? The BLS study linked above didn't differentiate between brewery size for wage depression, and I'm torn on what's more likely: that the big mega-breweries are loving labor because they know they're big enough to get away with it, that craft breweries have a startup mindset of "work 80 hours without pay for us, trust me it'll all pay off when we get bought out by AB-Inbev! And hey, free beer in the meantime!", or both.

Wish I liked Anchor Steam but I'm just not a big lager fan, even good craft lagers.

Everybody gets hosed under capitalism, unionize everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What's this thread's opinion on employee-owned companies, like New Belgium Brewing? I don't really know how employee ownership affects workers compared to being unionized.