Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Snooze Cruise posted:

high concept that is a bit meta-y excuse to bring together a cast of characters the audience already knows? but that describes a lot of like, non fan fiction fiction lol, so I dunno either.

fan fiction being used as a pejorative in general is weird to me

I was more thinking of this. It just feels... off to me? Like the whole reused assets and dungeons felt like it was padding to the extreme. There was the whole 'bring together a cast of characters' summons that got very repetitive after a while, and I felt like there was a good ending point at the end of SC.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kevin and Ries are great characters, and the 3rd went a long way to giving them (and by them, I mean Kevin) awesome character development. It's just that the gameplay sections themselves felt very repetitive since it was something along the lines of dungeon -> get character -> talk to characters -> story -> repeat that could have been done better. So 'fanfictiony' was the wrong word to use. I just wish that the 3rd was handled a little differently, that's all.

To me, the moon/star doors felt like the important bits, and it was just odd that it got inter spliced into the 3rd the way it did.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

There's definitely some writing in 3rd that comes off a little artificial or out of place for me than the series norm (Like Ries' hunger thing, which I honestly think could have been used in an interesting way to explore the struggles of her life growing up poor, but is mostly just used as a broad anime joke - or Erika's.... everything....) and a bunch of scenes I really don't like (most of the character recruitment scenes being 80% the same conversation about the situation except the new characters Main Trait being turned up to 11 to establish them... Erika's long introduction at the beginning of the main plot she has no relevance in, when everything you learn about her will be immediately repeated in Tita's star door anyway... the bloody TitaxAgate scene, which nobody present survives intact, except Joshua, who wisely says nothing, and Agate himself, who has the only sane reaction to the insinuation) but for the most part, I don't think 3rd is any lesser than the previous games.

That said, I've never really been able to get over the fact that, in-universe, the doors mostly just show the relevant characters stuff they already know and no-one ever comments on how weird that is.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 5, 2019

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I felt the same way about 3rd but I would describe it as fan service rather than fan fiction.
Lots of the side stories were just checking in on the characters. There were definitely powerful moments in the narrative, but some of the content was like “Hey, Estelle still likes shoes,” or “Here is another scene of Julia being a strong and independent woman with some anxiety.”
Your enjoyment of this will vary. I feel like if I played this while starved for content before Crossbell or Cold Steel I would have personally enjoyed it more, being starved for content. Like, if I was Japanese and playing the series as I grew up or something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Please do not remind me about the existence of the godsawful one-dimensional atrocious cartoon character that is Erika Russell. ...drat, too late.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Please do not remind me about the existence of the godsawful one-dimensional atrocious cartoon character that is Erika Russell. ...drat, too late.

Counterpoint, Erika is hilarious.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

I feel Juna gets the worst of it, feels wrong to see her fawning over Rean the way she does in 4, and Rean seems far too receptive to the advances of his female students for my comfort (they don't seem to do anything stupid with Altina, at least.)

On the whole, many of the female bonds are a lot more aggressively romantic in ways that makes it harder to ignore than ever that Rean is a harem anime protagonist (i.e. Laura making out with him in a cave and telling him that he knows Alisa and Emma have feelings for him, but she also has feelings for him etc. that's like their first event by the way)It just all had me rolling my eyes a bit.

Also, Towa and Rean's relationship goes from extremely platonic to romantic and that's just sacrilege I say!

I'll also just mention for accuracy's sake that I don't speak Japanese so there's a chance I misread the context on certain things that happen in bonding events.

Yeah, the thing you mention first in this post is the thing I was referring to as retroactively souring me on stuff. I was really pleased when it seemed that (vague/general comments about the CS3/CS4 romance situation) new class 7 wouldn't be in Rean's harem (aside from Musee as a sort of joke), and they even frequently make fun of Rean for having a harem with all the female members of old class 7 (it was funny seeing Juna/Kurt/etc repeatedly side-eye Rean each time they encountered yet another member of his extended harem). So completely undoing that in CS4 really, really sucked, and it was especially bizarre for Juna's character.

The CS games just take the harem thing too drat far, to the point where it's almost comical. I literally have trouble thinking of any remotely prominent female characters who are not in love with Rean. Off the top of my head....uh, Millium, Duvalie, and Angie? I guess you can also count Vita. I think that might be the full list of non-harem prominent women. The Zero/Ao games also just deal with it differently. Everyone is aware of Lloyd's appeal with women and jokes about it, and even the love interests (of which there really aren't that many) are mutually aware of it and get exasperated when Lloyd says embarrassing things with a straight face. If you absolutely have to have a "choose among multiple love interests" mechanic, the way Zero/Ao does it is probably the best way.

To be completely honest, I can't say I'm optimistic about future games avoiding the issues the CS games had, particular given the way CS4 seemed to fully embrace the various problems CS1 and CS2 had (which seems to imply that those things are unfortunately quite popular with the player base). I will be pleasantly surprised if the Calvard arc doesn't also involve 95% of the female characters within 10 years of the protagonist's age being in love with him. I'm sure they'll still be a lot of fun to play, but it's a shame that we probably won't get something else similar to the Sky/Crossbell games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the thing you mention first in this post is the thing I was referring to as retroactively souring me on stuff. I was really pleased when it seemed that (vague/general comments about the CS3/CS4 romance situation) new class 7 wouldn't be in Rean's harem (aside from Musee as a sort of joke), and they even frequently make fun of Rean for having a harem with all the female members of old class 7 (it was funny seeing Juna/Kurt/etc repeatedly side-eye Rean each time they encountered yet another member of his extended harem). So completely undoing that in CS4 really, really sucked, and it was especially bizarre for Juna's character.

The CS games just take the harem thing too drat far, to the point where it's almost comical. I literally have trouble thinking of any remotely prominent female characters who are not in love with Rean. Off the top of my head....uh, Millium, Duvalie, and Angie? I guess you can also count Vita. I think that might be the full list of non-harem prominent women. The Zero/Ao games also just deal with it differently. Everyone is aware of Lloyd's appeal with women and jokes about it, and even the love interests (of which there really aren't that many) are mutually aware of it and get exasperated when Lloyd says embarrassing things with a straight face. If you absolutely have to have a "choose among multiple love interests" mechanic, the way Zero/Ao does it is probably the best way.

To be completely honest, I can't say I'm optimistic about future games avoiding the issues the CS games had, particular given the way CS4 seemed to fully embrace the various problems CS1 and CS2 had (which seems to imply that those things are unfortunately quite popular with the player base). I will be pleasantly surprised if the Calvard arc doesn't also involve 95% of the female characters within 10 years of the protagonist's age being in love with him. I'm sure they'll still be a lot of fun to play, but it's a shame that we probably won't get something else similar to the Sky/Crossbell games.

I feel Altina falling in love with Rean is pretty drat bad too. Thankfully Rean says "no way until you're older" but like, given how their relationship in the previous game was built up like a father/daughter relationship it just feels completely wrong and gross. It'd be like if Renne started lusting after Joshua or KeA started lusting after Lloyd.

IV might not be the worst game in the arc but it's probably the most disappointing and it's precisely because of reasons like this. It also like you said, retroactively damages III which taken standalone is really really good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can Calvard have a female protagonist again?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Oh No! Emma's spell has gone wrong and Rean's been turned into a woman no- wait wait where are you all going?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Doomhammer posted:

Oh No! Emma's spell has gone wrong and Rean's been turned into a woman no- wait wait where are you all going?

To preorder

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

To preorder

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

It's kinda sad that getting back to a female protagonist is considered the only sure-fire way to avoid future harem shenanigans. Just get a canon romance and get some secondary pairings on the side. We need more Olivier x Schera kind of stuff. Or, if you need a harem, deal with it the way they did in Sky with Joshua's groupies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Counterpoint, Erika is hilarious.
our senses of humor disagree on a very fundamental level.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Erpy posted:

It's kinda sad that getting back to a female protagonist is considered the only sure-fire way to avoid future harem shenanigans. Just get a canon romance and get some secondary pairings on the side. We need more Olivier x Schera kind of stuff. Or, if you need a harem, deal with it the way they did in Sky with Joshua's groupies.

im sorry but the next game you play as duvallie and get to marry all the ladies

e: im not sorry actually because woah that is epic

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 5, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Snooze Cruise posted:

im sorry but the next game you play as duvallie and get to marry all the ladies

e: im not sorry actually because woah that is epic

Any game where I get more Duvalie starts off at an A+ and can only go up from there

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just beat Second Chapter. I spent so much time in chapters 8 and the finale that I had forgotten there had been a whole subplot involving a dragon.

Game might be just a bit bloated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

instead of a male protagonist with a harem, we should have a female protagonist who gets treated as totally incompetent until halfway through the second game and whose only relation to the actual main plot of the story is crying a lot about her boring boyfriend

sky does estelle so dirty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

To preorder

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just beat Second Chapter. I spent so much time in chapters 8 and the finale that I had forgotten there had been a whole subplot involving a dragon.

Game might be just a bit bloated.

Hell of a last chapter though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

instead of a male protagonist with a harem, we should have a female protagonist who gets treated as totally incompetent until halfway through the second game and whose only relation to the actual main plot of the story is crying a lot about her boring boyfriend

sky does estelle so dirty

Character arcs in my game?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hell of a last chapter though.

It was, but I nearly pulled my hair out when I had to go back to the Glorious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Character arcs in my game?

I think her point is more that it’s dubious to have a character arc where the main heroine is basically a shonen protagonist that everyone makes fun of for being dumb. and hell, I like the part of her arc where she realizes that she needs to become more capable, and actually becomes gradually more capable, but maybe in retrospect her falling apart because her not-boyfriend peaced out isn’t the greatest motivation ever.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, I beat Xanadu Next...

it's super cool and I really wish there was more of it. It's making me look at all the same era Ys games which use the same engine. I own them all on steam and have only touched them very briefly. Oath in Felghana especially seems like it should have at least some of the same vibes although Ys is going for a bit of a different thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I know there was some chatter about it a while back, but what are people's feels about Tokyo Xanadu?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

I know there was some chatter about it a while back, but what are people's feels about Tokyo Xanadu?

I really enjoyed it, enjoyed it enough to bother 100%-ing it. It's not very deep and the stage designs are simplistic but the combat was fun enough. It's often called a Persona-lite but I've never played any Persona games so I don't know how accurate that description is.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow speaking of tokyo xanadu, that's 70% off on steam right now. That's mighty tempting coming off this xanadu high.

Although it seems like it doesn't really bear much resemblance to any of the things I really enjoyed from next. I do enjoy this style of RPG too though...

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

It's superficially similar to Persona with the setting and some of the character archetypes but the gameplay has nothing in common.

edit: it's also nothing like Xanadu Next other than them both broadly being action rpgs. it's closest to Ys with the combat and Cold Steel with everything else.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 5, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why does the main character look like a smug prick

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Why does the main character look like a smug prick

If he acted like a smug prick he'd be a more fun character tbh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've played Ys Origins through a couple times, and own Oath in Felghana. Liked Origins a lot, never got past the start of Oath for whatever reason. Besides that, which others are particularly worth looking at? I thought 8 looked interesting gameplay wise at least but got the text equivalent of awkward glances in the Steam thread asking about it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've played Ys Origins through a couple times, and own Oath in Felghana. Are there any other Ys games particularly worth looking at? I thought 8 looked interesting gameplay wise at least but got the text equivalent of awkward glances in the Steam thread asking about it

Main issue is that the PC launch was rough as hell. No clue if it's been fixed or not, I play it on PS4 and love it tho

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

I've played Ys Origins through a couple times, and own Oath in Felghana. Liked Origins a lot, never got past the start of Oath for whatever reason. Besides that, which others are particularly worth looking at? I thought 8 looked interesting gameplay wise at least but got the text equivalent of awkward glances in the Steam thread asking about it
Ys VIII is outstanding, though it's both a different kind of game from Origins/Oath (you have a party rather than just Adol) and the PC version was(still is?) an infamously botched port job by NISA.

The only real bad Ys game is Ys V, the rest are to varying degrees worth looking at if you're at all in the mood for an action RPG of that style. I personally love Ys I & II but they are likely the hardest sell of the franchise on Steam given how they have aged, especially the first one.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Ys Seven is definitely worth playing for the fun combat system and music, as is Ys I & II and Dawn of Ys if you can stand the bump and grind combat. If you came from Oath in Felghana and Origins, I'd say skip VI for now just because the gameplay feels more antiquated compared to the other two. I can't say much about Ys V, since I'm still in the middle of my playthrough of it (that's been stalled for a couple of years by now), and god forbid you get into the original versions of Ys III.

Ys VIII actually isn't bad if you're looking for an open-world game in the series. It's just that it's kind of a busted rear end port compared to Cold Steel I or II.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if you like the look of 8's gameplay but don't want to deal with a messy pc port there's also Memories of Celceta

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly any of the ones on Steam are fine apart from 1&2 being old and an acquired taste and 8 being a crappy port and only worthwhile on PS4. 7, Celceta and 8 are 'modern' Ys though meaning they have a lot more story and you have a party of three people that do different damage types to swap between. 6, Origins, Oath and uh am I forgetting one? are simpler action RPGs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I generally prefer linear games rather than open worldy stuff; I just liked the art and combat style of the 8 review I watched. Is Celceta closer to what I'm looking for?

(Aside, I was thinking of Crystalis for the NES yesterday, is what made me think of Ys... eventually. So that's the sort of game I'm thinking of)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
None of the Ys games are really open-world. They're pretty linear games.

Also, Ys VI's gameplay might be a slightly rougher version of Oath and Origin, but as far as meta-lore goes, it fills in some pretty important pieces, so it's still worth playing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erpy posted:

None of the Ys games are really open-world. They're pretty linear games.

Also, Ys VI's gameplay might be a slightly rougher version of Oath and Origin, but as far as meta-lore goes, it fills in some pretty important pieces, so it's still worth playing.

If you do pick up Ark of Napishtim, Ciaphas, keep in mind that it's the earliest of the Oath Engine games, so it's kinda rough. Still a whole lotta fun to play, of course, but super noticeable if you just played Ys Origin.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm reading up on tokyo xanadu and i'm getting the picture that it's got a story filled with standard tropes, a passable combat system, and thoroughly uninteresting dungeons. And that the character writing if anything will be what keeps things interesting. This is sounding not all too dissimilar to Cold Steel. I think it might just be up my alley.

It's got some pretty wildly varying reviews, too, going all the way from "loved it" to "avoid this at all costs". Which fits the picture given how different people will value the things I listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i enjoyed it, i suspect most of the negativity is from people who are more into Ys than Cold Steel and don't want a bunch of anime school life segments in their action game.