Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

5er posted:

In however many seasons of dabbling with a wizard, and this season starting as one, I've yet to see a Karini's Halo. The game's just an rear end in a top hat, really.

Another season, another ring blocking build completion. Usually for me it's unity (since I need 2 of them anyways), but I def. had one season where I got like 4 or 5 Arlyses before a Karini dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Another season, another ring blocking build completion. Usually for me it's unity (since I need 2 of them anyways), but I def. had one season where I got like 4 or 5 Arlyses before a Karini dropped.

I think the worst RNG moment I had was season 13, on PS4, I broke GR70 and beyond easily with a WoL monk, and spent most of my time clearing ~GR85 rifts with either that, or a UE MS DH (which I built after feeling fate demanded it, with both a good Yang's and Deadman's drops on the monk). Somewhere around 3 solid weeks with a few disgusting binge sessions each weekend later, I still had not seen *one* primal drop. I played for about three total weeks on PC earlier, mostly splitting time between a raek/hota set and wastes/ww on barb, I could barely hold my own at GR72 and largely just stuck with GR65's, I had racked up about six primals total, two of them being absolute assets to a raek and a wastes build.

The game is just a total loving rear end in a top hat sometimes.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
I was doing the Vyr lightning build and in my attempts to get a manald heal I managed to get literally all the gear for Tal star pact including ancient Etched Sigil and the sword

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah sometimes it feels like the RNG has a mind of its own. (And it likes to troll)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Challenge Rift this week is cookie cutter Shadow, super EZ. Male demon hunters vault like total dorks omg.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Yeah sometimes it feels like the RNG has a mind of its own. (And it likes to troll)
Yeah it’s this. I have seen a single ancient ring (that goes with my sets) all season @ 900 paragon. I have 4 choices since I cube one. My ancient also had horrible rolls with required socket reroll so it’s not even good I just wanted to augment something.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

exquisite tea posted:

Challenge Rift this week is cookie cutter Shadow, super EZ. Male demon hunters vault like total dorks omg.

For some unexplained reason though, his Enchantress has no skill set in the first tier. Game doesn't let you pick one for the challenge, either. So there are still the little hints of madness if you poke at it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Biggest rear end in a top hat move of RNG this season for me, was a RoRG dropping in my first set of Act 1 Torment 1 bounties.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I keep getting double Primal pieces, I have two helms and two legs so far.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

For some unexplained reason though, his Enchantress has no skill set in the first tier. Game doesn't let you pick one for the challenge, either. So there are still the little hints of madness if you poke at it.

The first and second enchantress tier is often skipped.

In other news, I unlocked t13 with my chicken super speed doc but boy howdy he can’t kill bosses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Charm is one of the best follower talents for a Shadow DH because it can let you get in some free hits against wandering elites. It’s one reason why I always prefer Enchantress to Templar for high solo GR.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use the Templar on my Impale DH cause I'm terrible at Hatred management cause I end up tossing my daggers in weird directions on account of not being able to aim well with a controller.

I got no idea how the build expects me to rock Aquianus's or whatever that Chest Unique is called cause I'm almost never above 90% Hatred. I even have one of my passives set to the mini Reaper's Wraps passive cause there's no way I'm keeping myself chock full of loathing without it.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I use the Templar on my Impale DH cause I'm terrible at Hatred management cause I end up tossing my daggers in weird directions on account of not being able to aim well with a controller.

I got no idea how the build expects me to rock Aquianus's or whatever that Chest Unique is called cause I'm almost never above 90% Hatred. I even have one of my passives set to the mini Reaper's Wraps passive cause there's no way I'm keeping myself chock full of loathing without it.
I think the trick is to do rifts high enough that you're not 1 shotting everything so the "hitting an already impaled enemy restores 15 Hatred" passive kicks in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Aquila only comes into play in upper GR where mobs will survive for more than one impale to refund Hatred. On lower GR you want to rune Seethe as your main form of resource regeneration.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I also found running Ricochet gave me more hatred than Overpenetration. You can wear Aquila, cube Chain of Shadows and wear a Witching Hour over using Frost Burns. It's not quite as much damage but it's a decent alternative.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ricochet does refund more Hatred than Overpenetration, less finicky about aiming too. What makes Frostburn so good this season though, besides the 20% free elemental damage of course, is its interaction with APD, which more or less becomes essential for survival in high solo GR. Some top clears can apparently still get away with Nemesis but I'm not good enough for that.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Snacksmaniac posted:

The first and second enchantress tier is often skipped.

In other news, I unlocked t13 with my chicken super speed doc but boy howdy he can’t kill bosses.

I honestly did not know that, so I learned something. I guess I can see skipping the first tier if you really really don't want either of the CC powers, but why skip the second? Even if you don't want the slow armor, what's wrong with the ranged defense?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Ricochet does refund more Hatred than Overpenetration, less finicky about aiming too. What makes Frostburn so good this season though, besides the 20% free elemental damage of course, is its interaction with APD, which more or less becomes essential for survival in high solo GR. Some top clears can apparently still get away with Nemesis but I'm not good enough for that.

Good to know! I'm just dicking around at GR100 and haven't had to min max too much.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tetsuo posted:

I think the trick is to do rifts high enough that you're not 1 shotting everything so the "hitting an already impaled enemy restores 15 Hatred" passive kicks in.

exquisite tea posted:

Aquila only comes into play in upper GR where mobs will survive for more than one impale to refund Hatred. On lower GR you want to rune Seethe as your main form of resource regeneration.

I'm currently running GR80s solo, I've beaten up to 90 but it's so much easier to die at those levels, so 80 is just a nice spot for me.

Are you supposed to be Impaling up close? I tend to Vault around and Impale from a distance for the most part, which probably contributes to a lot of missed daggers.

I'm also running Unity, the Elusive Ring, and the Traveler's Set, which means I don't use Convention of Elements.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

exquisite tea posted:

Charm is one of the best follower talents for a Shadow DH because it can let you get in some free hits against wandering elites. It’s one reason why I always prefer Enchantress to Templar for high solo GR.

Huh -- it had never really occurred to me to swap out the Templar but now I'm going to try this for my Shadow DH. What gear do you give your Enchantress (since I'm assuming she can't use the Thunderfury that's on my Templar)?

At least this way I can feel a little less bad about my only Primal of the season being the Enchantress's never-die relic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Good weapons for an Enchantress are Tormentor or Sultan of Blinding Sand. I give her an Overwhelming Desire for amulet, oculus ring, and the other ring doesn't really matter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Are you supposed to be Impaling up close? I tend to Vault around and Impale from a distance for the most part, which probably contributes to a lot of missed daggers.

You should be rolling right up to elites and unloading those daggers at point blank range. If you have all the relevant defensive pieces then you shouldn't need Unity.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
More than one dagger can hit the same enemy right? Being up close seemed to let me do way more damage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

I honestly did not know that, so I learned something. I guess I can see skipping the first tier if you really really don't want either of the CC powers, but why skip the second? Even if you don't want the slow armor, what's wrong with the ranged defense?

I can’t remember why but I read it somewhere. Could also be a mistake and it’s not right in that build.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bamhand posted:

More than one dagger can hit the same enemy right? Being up close seemed to let me do way more damage.

Correct. poo poo should melt drat near instantly at point blank.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Whooooooooo rolled a single mystery ring and got obsidian ring of the zodiac! I need that for my wizard build, cubing it means I spend way more time in Archon mode

I've been getting lucky with my drops this week

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Wow, it seems lvl 70 rift primal can be not poo poo, and might help the terrible necro squishiness a bit:

It'll be all blackthorne's/puzzle rings from now on no doubt.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

exquisite tea posted:

Out of all the loot that can roll primal ORotZ isn't the worst thing in the world, since a few specs can wear it but it's really hard to hit max rolls in every category.

Nah.. definitely one of the easier items to get perfect without primal

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

https://twitter.com/desire_sensor/status/969121462090002433

No matter which game, the RNG is always trolling.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for all the advice, I switched out my gear and tackled GR90 and managed to beat it without dying even without my Unity.

Also experienced far less resource drought.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Came back to try Season 16 after not playing since Season 5 and wow, IK Barb sure is bonkers. Trillion damage HoTA hits don't play. Cruised to GR70 and got a Primal Furnace for my troubles, feels good. Might try a DH next, I've never actually played one. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, I know someone who said the exact same thing to me.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My Monk is coming along fine. I am gambling for ancient boots but I am not sure if I should reforge for Bracers, Helm or Mainhand right now, they all seem to be kinda difficult to get right stats wise and it's a bit unclear to me what the biggest damage boost would be.

Also any euro goons up for some group GR90-100s tonight?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

My Monk is coming along fine. I am gambling for ancient boots but I am not sure if I should reforge for Bracers, Helm or Mainhand right now, they all seem to be kinda difficult to get right stats wise and it's a bit unclear to me what the biggest damage boost would be.

Only reroll things you can't efficiently upgrade with dbs or gamble with shards or things that are blocking. It looks like your bracers have reasonably efficient offensive stats right now. One "trick" for bracers is just to use non-ancient if you can't get a well rolled ancient, but with those bracers I wouldn't bother unless you need your 4th roll to be life per hit or something non-vit.

Do you have a better non-ancient helm? With how the stats look, I'd definitely lean toward not-ancient there.

I'd likely look at rerolling amulet or weapon, but I am not sure how 'bad' your weapon is it looks fine. I'm not sure the economy on monk weapons, though. If they're like wands then it's generally better to upgrade them with dbs. My rule of thumb is prioritize based on how big of an upgrade something is but also on cost. What is most efficient to throw shards after? What is most efficient to throw dbs at? And then reroll the most difficult thing that's never going to be efficient for either of those.

Once you've already locked in "good enough to be final" gear you can throw hundreds of thousands of blood shards at one thing. It usually ends up being bracers or gloves, but it could also be helms.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 6, 2019

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I kind of wish I had a chart of all my deaths in GRs this season. Because I'm reasonably sure it would show that the first twenty seconds of a GR where I'm walking in and don't have stacks or procs of whatever defense I need going is by far when I die the most.

It's a minor pet peeve of mine that it is that way, the start shouldn't be twice as difficult as the rest of the rift. I don't know though that there would be an elegant solution beyond something like "invincible for ten seconds upon first entry" or something along those lines.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 6, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

On top of everything Khorne said, helm will get you the biggest damage boost, even non ancient. I would just throw bloodshards at it though. Also your mainhand seems fine? Not perfect but has all desirable stats and above average rolls on them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah the helm is a pain, it seems to have some lovely bias towards Spirit-regen and I don't think I've seen one drop with a socket yet. I am mostly reforging because souls and bounty mats are so easy to come by and it's targeted.
Been throwing all my bloodshards at boots since those have less stat variety than the other slots, so I should be able to get "augment worthy" ancients quicker.

The main hand is decent, but the damage roll and legendary roll are only average, the stats are the right ones tough. Reforging helms seemed like the way to go to get 10% crit instead of that useless Spirit Regen.

I guess I'll try to upgrade weapons while reforging more helmets and necks.

Thanks for the advice, I've never really played this far and gotten to such high GRs before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

I kind of wish I had a chart of all my deaths in GRs this season. Because I'm reasonably sure it would show that the first twenty seconds of a GR where I'm walking in and don't have stacks or procs of whatever defense I need going is by far when I die the most.

It's a minor pet peeve of mine that it is that way, the start shouldn't be twice as difficult as the rest of the rift. I don't know though that there would be an elegant solution beyond something like "invincible for ten seconds upon first entry" or something along those lines.

The game is doing you a favor and saying "this floor is bullshit" right from the beginning so that you can port out and reset.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Mind over Matter posted:

Oh hey necromancers have that!

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

xiansi posted:

Wow, it seems lvl 70 rift primal can be not poo poo, and might help the terrible necro squishiness a bit:

It'll be all blackthorne's/puzzle rings from now on no doubt.

The primal I got from the 70 gr was a the grand father, Im a ww barb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I save my rerolls for weapons but I just made a speed chicken doc for bounties so it’s gonna be reroll city.