Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

Is this game at all decent? I remember people hating on it pretty hard when it dropped.

Marine mode on hardest difficulty is tense as hell, worth price of entry alone. All the DLC is for MP / Horde mode so you can skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BaconCopter posted:

Is this game at all decent? I remember people hating on it pretty hard when it dropped.

I thought it was ok. It's got some issues, but it's not a complete train-wreck and if you're willing to gloss over those flaws a bit it can be pretty enjoyable.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ancestor-bundle

$2 for System Shock 1-2 and Strife: VE, also includes I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Shadow Man and some other games I've never heard of.

Spirits of Zanadu is a really good, short system shock like game and I recommend it. This is pretty good for a fanatical bundle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, and while it's been a long time since I played Metal Fatigue I remember it being pretty good -- it's an RTS with orbital and subsurface layers where you can custom-build giant robots as hero units (and rip parts off enemy robots to customize your own with, IIRC).

That's a solid bundle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaconCopter posted:

It’s totally “decent.” I’d never call it good but it was a decently fun and quick play through.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: I don't have DOOM 2016

I do believe this game would rock your socks so to speak, you simply must get this game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

THE HEALTH CRATE

ZAMBIE

A RAT!

quoting these because they were at the very end of the last page and people deserve to bask in them

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oh man, what a weirdly ambitious game Precursors was. Colorful alien environments, a semi-janky system for flying between planets (more interactive than a simply level transition, but obviously not seamless like No Man's Sky or something more recent) and the sort of incoherent plot that only a poorly translated Eastern European sci-fi game could yield.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Quake 1 Thoughts (only through the first two episodes) :

Holy hell this is awesome. Its like some weird Doom sequel acid trip.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

The marine campaign has some decent atmosphere (I supposes putting the difficulty way up could help more here) and there's a bit of nice gore effects.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

THE HEALTH CRATE

ZAMBIE

A RAT!

THE ROBOT FROG

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Flannelette posted:

THE ROBOT FROG

hell yes!

the textures in daikatana are true masterpieces and i'd love to see them on models with enough polys to do them justice

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm going to have to buy Daikatana in the steam sale, aren't I.

I've been playing a bunch of Quake lately and finding myself using the shotgun more for actual combat. Sometimes it just feels more useful than the super shotgun? Is that a thing?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm going to have to buy Daikatana in the steam sale, aren't I.

I've been playing a bunch of Quake lately and finding myself using the shotgun more for actual combat. Sometimes it just feels more useful than the super shotgun? Is that a thing?

The super shotgun in Quake is definitely a close up weapon. Its just a waste of ammo at mid to long range and the regular shotgun does a way better job at those ranges, at least until you get rockets.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If you're not defaulting to the super shotty you're not close enough :colbert:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel the same way about the Quake shotgun as I do about the Doom shotgun. I'll use it over the super if the enemies I'm fighting are low health/farther than like 5 feet/not clumped in a big group

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Narcissus1916 posted:

Quake 1 Thoughts (only through the first two episodes) :

Holy hell this is awesome. Its like some weird Doom sequel acid trip.

It's great, isn't it? The project started out as a fantasy RPG but they eventually realized FPS run and gun was their forte so they just repurposed all the assets under that new model and now you're running through a castle blowing up knights with a grenade launcher.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

haveblue posted:

It's great, isn't it? The project started out as a fantasy RPG but they eventually realized FPS run and gun was their forte so they just repurposed all the assets under that new model and now you're running through a castle blowing up knights with a grenade launcher.

It kind of sucks to think that if the only reason Quake is as weird and memorable as it is is because they switched games/genres/themes during development. Not, y'know, because of an actual start from scratch decision. Ah well, at least it happened.

I feel like we would have only gotten a more primitive Quake 2 as the first game if they had set out to make an FPS from the get-go. Thoughts?

EDIT: Or maybe a different type of Doom 3?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I remember seeing a very old interview (I think of Romero) about what Quake was going to be (ca. when teasers about it appeared in Commander Keen, before Doom was even developed) and the plan was melee combat against damage spongey enemies (the quote was something like "when you fight a guy, you'll really have to wail on him for a while" or something to that extent) and I'm very very glad they completely changed their plans a few times during development, because the Quake we got is so much better than the Quake they originally planned.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I remember seeing a very old interview (I think of Romero) about what Quake was going to be (ca. when teasers about it appeared in Commander Keen, before Doom was even developed) and the plan was melee combat against damage spongey enemies (the quote was something like "when you fight a guy, you'll really have to wail on him for a while" or something to that extent) and I'm very very glad they completely changed their plans a few times during development, because the Quake we got is so much better than the Quake they originally planned.

Oh, totally, I do love Quake 1 a lot, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. I just think it's obvious that had they said, after Doom 2, 'Let's make another first person shooter, but in ACTUAL 3D this time', then you'd likely have something like Quake 2 running in Quake 1's engine (I'm assuming they're at least slightly different levels of idtech?).

That would have been boring, though I say this as someone who finds the setting and atmosphere of Quake 2 boring, so :shobon:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

haveblue posted:

I think it’s hilarious that Hexen II is closer to the game they wanted to make.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I remember the interview Cat Mattress alluded to (it was printed in the back of my Doom II strategy guide; dunno if that's the original source) and some of the other things it mentioned made it seem like, not just a first-person fantasy fighter, but also closer to an open-world game like Elder Scrolls. I think the description was something like, 'you'll be wandering around and suddenly you'll see a cave with glowing eyes peering out at you and you'll have to decide whether to go in or not.' Maybe I'm misremembering something, but I definitely remember Romero describing what would happen when you encountered a cave entrance and how ominous it would seem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know, aside from Daggerfall, two of my other absolutely favourite games from way back when were Doom and eventually Fallout, and it's weird that they're all now effectively the same company. :stare:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Original Quake just sounds like id's Kings Field or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's a testament to the ability of the individual level designers that quake ended up being as good as it was.

The shacknews quake postmortem is well worth a read cuz you see how yeah Romero had an idea for a game he never actually bothered to try building beyond the very beginnings of basic design and everyone was just off doing their own thing waiting for carmack to finish the engine and Romero to get his act together and then it got so late in development they realized they had no "game" but a bunch of level packs and welp nothing much we can do but slap a narrative on em and ship it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, instead we got ranged combat against damage spongey enemies :haw:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JerryLee posted:

I remember the interview Cat Mattress alluded to (it was printed in the back of my Doom II strategy guide; dunno if that's the original source) and some of the other things it mentioned made it seem like, not just a first-person fantasy fighter, but also closer to an open-world game like Elder Scrolls. I think the description was something like, 'you'll be wandering around and suddenly you'll see a cave with glowing eyes peering out at you and you'll have to decide whether to go in or not.' Maybe I'm misremembering something, but I definitely remember Romero describing what would happen when you encountered a cave entrance and how ominous it would seem.
The cave quote thing was about triggered scripted sequences basically - you see a cave and go closer, you see some red eyes but still go closer, you hear a growl but still go closer, an enemy jumps out at you. Which Quake can do, but they didn’t show it off much.

There was a fascinating talk from Carmack about what he regrets from that era and he said that they changed too much at once with Quake and therefore the game took too long to come out and ended up too compromised. Retroactively he thought they should have made an incremental game before it that kept some parts largely the same (the Doom renderer) but focused on expanding the multiplayer into a Doom World (heh) type thing. They first envisioned a persistent online world with Quake which QW didn’t really come close to. I’m not sure how feasible that would have been in the mid 90s but maybe in an alternate universe we have a Doom 3 that was a proto-MMO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also remember that, he said it was a mistake to try to simultaneously develop a true-3D renderer, a client/server networking model, and a scriptable game engine all at the same time and that they should have been split up into multiple projects.

Unreal had a plan for an online world that was not quite session-based and not quite persistent- they wanted, and I believe actually created and shipped with the game, an "open URL" entity that would cause your session to transfer to a different server so you could "travel" between them without having to quit out. I don't know if this capability was ever used in the field.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There wasn't really anyone on the Quake team to be working on engine features and tools to make some kinda open world rpg thing with a pretty small team and Carmack already committed to breaking new ground in 3D stuff. So whatever day dreams Romero was having it doesn't seem like they tried to implement it much.

I just finished the Doom Black Book which this thread recommended and it was an excellent read. I hope we get a Quake Black Book some day to shed more light on it.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

hell yes!

the textures in daikatana are true masterpieces and i'd love to see them on models with enough polys to do them justice

Was it Kenneth Scott on textures? They look similar to some of his work on Q3. He had fantastic style, heavily influenced by 2000ad artist Simon Bisley

Also! While looking for those examples, I found this:

Quake 3 Huntress:

Character Sheet (maybe NWS)

Inspiration (maybe NWS)

love that 'Frazetta-esque' on the charsheet, truly there is nothing new under the sun

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Maybe not an early FPS but this certainly evokes shades of those crazy deathmatch mods. Single player only and Early Access though so temper expectations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDg0FCh61AU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

haveblue posted:

Unreal had a plan for an online world that was not quite session-based and not quite persistent- they wanted, and I believe actually created and shipped with the game, an "open URL" entity that would cause your session to transfer to a different server so you could "travel" between them without having to quit out. I don't know if this capability was ever used in the field.

It shipped with a map, gateway.unr, that probably would have been used for that. It's a "level" with a bunch of portals/gateways that don't go anywhere.

It's kind of crazy all the stuff they did or wanted to do with Unreal. At some point it had 6 different renderers: Software, 3dfx Glide, Direct3d, OpenGL, S3 Metal, and PowerVR SGL. I remember that specifically because I had a Matrox m3D and had to use SGL, which worked, but had a bunch of limitations compared to software or the better supported renderers. No detail textures, no volumetric lighting, very low res dynamic lights and probably other stuff I don't remember.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mousepractice posted:

Was it Kenneth Scott on textures? They look similar to some of his work on Q3. He had fantastic style, heavily influenced by 2000ad artist Simon Bisley

Yeah same guy and did id art stuff for a while after.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I also liked that unreal registered a URL handler so you could just click a link to a server and it'd open

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Keiya posted:

I also liked that unreal registered a URL handler so you could just click a link to a server and it'd open

It loving ruled

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I liked how you could open an Unreal level simply by clicking on the map file in Windows explorer, and you could search *.unr and Open All when you wanted to party.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
https://twitter.com/NY00123/status/1093204288560656390

Later SW builds coming soon.

Mousepractice posted:

Also! While looking for those examples, I found this:

Quake 3 Huntress:

Character Sheet (maybe NWS)

Inspiration (maybe NWS)

love that 'Frazetta-esque' on the charsheet, truly there is nothing new under the sun

Real underappretiated texture artist.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I recently discovered that one of my bosses loved to play Quake and Doom back in the days and nowadays only plays Doom on his 360. He's 50 and not to tech savvy but he has the doom wads from Doom 3 BFG on steam and his original Quake CD still.

Doom is a non issue because I'll just point him to gzdoom just to play ultimate doom and doom 2 but for Quake, wich port should I tell him to use? I switch from Darkplaces to QbismS8 (I like the software looks of it) but what's better for him? Something that doesn't make Quake too "smooth" since I showed him a video of Quake 1.5 and was too modern for him.

I'm sure the Quake gurus know wich source port to recommend since my idea is to make him a "portable" pack of doom and quake as he travels a lot and likes to carry old games lile Commandos with him.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quakespasm seems to be the most popular source port nowadays, and it doesn't pile the visual effects on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

https://twitter.com/NY00123/status/1093204288560656390

Later SW builds coming soon.

Real underappretiated texture artist.

Everyone like his all Doom 3 monsters at least (he did a lot of 3d model work for it).
Annoying there isn't a hi res copy of