Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I just blew up the Vaulter home system with an Obliterator, and then had to quit out because I realised I Had Become The Bad Guy. I was trying to protect the galaxy, not destroy it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall can hate on the Horatio, but it sure is fun once you get to late game. I spent ages trying to farm up enough Vodyani to splice.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there a way to destroy or raze cities instead of capturing them?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Is there a way to destroy or raze cities instead of capturing them?

You need to own them for a certain number of turns (10?) before you can Salt the Earth and raze them. It's to prevent people from just grabbing cities and burning them to the ground immediately, in case you weren't actually able to hold it.

If you're Cultists, you raze them automatically.

Edit: More amusing to me tho is when you're Roving Clans and can literally steal a city and walk off with it like you're Carmen Sandiego.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 1, 2019

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

For those of you interested, I’ll be running weekly games of endless space 2 every Saturday at 1600 gmt for Mapgoons. If you want to join in you can find the mapgoon discord in the private games sub forum.

I can't this weekend, but I'll join the next one.

I haven't played any of the DLC for ES2, so I plan to complain endlessly about everything they add being "bullshit."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

really queer Christmas posted:

agreed with this. Played ES2 last weekend because it was free and ended up buying it because I just couldn't stop playing. A good relaxing space 4X was what I bought stellaris for, and that game has always left me feeling frustrated after a session. It's still early so I'm still learning, but that hasn't really happened with ES2.

I bought Stellaris at release. It had its pro and many cons, so I gave up after completing two games. After playing EL and ES2 for year or two, I've gotten an itch and went back to check out all their vaunted post-release improvements. I simply CANNOT get back into the game again; the GUI is so offensively trash, and so is everything else early game it seems. Really eye-opening how fundamental stuff like accessibility, simplicity of systems, 'fun', etc are far more important than grognard theoretical game balance.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Who are some good youtuber strategy types to watch? I feel like I'm sorta doing nothing each turn aside from building whatever the quickest building is.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Who are some good youtuber strategy types to watch? I feel like I'm sorta doing nothing each turn aside from building whatever the quickest building is.

I enjoy watching SB. He's a pretty chill dude who explains all of his thought processes as he plays, making it good for learning.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

If you don't mind full playthroughs SB is worth checking out. He's pretty good about explaining why he's doing what he's doing.

E: beaten to it :arghfist:

Herbotron fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 1, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Newbie ES2 question:

A planet needs to be colonized to contribute to system FIDSI, right?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

enraged_camel posted:

Newbie ES2 question:

A planet needs to be colonized to contribute to system FIDSI, right?

Yeah, but the per planet bonuses work even if you leave all the pop slots empty after your colonize it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Watched a bit of SB and some 4x Alchemist. Won as the Vaulters (Supremacy i think? The take all the capitals one), portal seems pretty good because it does take a while to move around the map. The AI Horatio was pretty funny, he was losing the war real real bad, had his capital sieged down and one of those behemoth shots had just blown up one of his system...then I get a truce message from him saying he'll deign to make peace with me in exchange for basically every resource I've got.

Don't know what I think the behemoths though. Was kinda confusing which tech actually researched them, and then it's kinda weird that they all look the same? Like all of a sudden everyone's got like no fleets and just a half dozen of these behemoths sitting around. The japanese bird guys seem cool though, might play next game as them and then just nuke that dlc.

Is there like an optimal fleet comp? I mostly to kinetics offensive-wise, and just changed my shields based on whoever I was fighting. But kinda outclassed the AI so much I don't think it mattered.

And what do you mostly do with conquered systems? Raze them? Or take them? Or just use war gain to grab more techs and that sort of thing?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not bought the various DLCs so this info might be outdated:

Optimal naval layouts are either
  • 100% context sensitive on what the primary opponent has for a close fight
  • Your racial special techs which are unusually good (ie Riftborn have great beams)
  • Whatever you feel like since you're ahead

The Endless series has always had a weak point in handling a run-away player who is snowballing militarily. Once you start winning, you can keep going across the map until you get bored and quit the campaign. I've found no good rule-of-thumb for captured stuff yet, I generally keep or raze according to how nice they are or if I need the friednly territory to heal etc.

And yes, the AI diplomacy stuff is sometimes comical on how badly they fail to grasp the situation at times.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Serephina posted:

I've not bought the various DLCs so this info might be outdated:

Optimal naval layouts are either
  • 100% context sensitive on what the primary opponent has for a close fight
  • Your racial special techs which are unusually good (ie Riftborn have great beams)
  • Whatever you feel like since you're ahead

The Endless series has always had a weak point in handling a run-away player who is snowballing militarily. Once you start winning, you can keep going across the map until you get bored and quit the campaign. I've found no good rule-of-thumb for captured stuff yet, I generally keep or raze according to how nice they are or if I need the friednly territory to heal etc.

And yes, the AI diplomacy stuff is sometimes comical on how badly they fail to grasp the situation at times.

Counterpoint: the way-behind AI demanding everything you have is good and funny.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Counterpoint: the way-behind AI demanding everything you have is good and funny.

Yeah especially Horatio acting like he's doing me a favor even bothering to talk to me.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I would thematically expect nothing less of Horatio.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

I would thematically expect nothing less of Horatio.

Not to double post, but I won a steam-key for something Endless related on the Amplitude stream the other day. I actually had to leave just after I won it to attend my daughters nappy (seriously) and so I missed exactly what it was that I won. I already have everything so I cannot redeem it and so dear Goons, I will pass it on to you. To avoid key scrapers just remove the non-capitalised letters.

TA0CT-4KMezariXVodyanoi-X6X59

DonCorneo
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks I just redeemed it; who knew insomnia would pay off?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Out of interest, what was it?

DonCorneo
Mar 6, 2008
I think it was the new Umbral Choir dlc for Endless Space 2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, but the per planet bonuses work even if you leave all the pop slots empty after your colonize it.

Wh... oh god drat it that's good to know.

he AI Horatio was pretty funny, he was losing the war real real bad, had his capital sieged down and one of those behemoth shots had just blown up one of his system...then I get a truce message from him saying he'll deign to make peace with me in exchange for basically every resource I've got.

To be fair, that's pretty Horatio.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 4, 2019

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I tried reinstalling EL after watching SB play some. Unfortunately, it just displays a black screen in the top left corner of my screen with the cursor. It plays the sounds of the introduction so I think it's a video error. After googling, I tried hard setting the resolution in the registry, and wiped all my Microsoft C++ things before a reinstall, but nothing worked :(

It used to work 6+ months ago, but then I updated to Windows 10. Is this potentially the cause?

E: I've now also updated my NVidia drivers to the newest version and still no luck

The only similar thing I can find is from 2016 on the steam forums

"Black screen on start up with game curser"
https://steamcommunity.com/app/208140/discussions/0/333656722971969355/

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 5, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

IAmThatIs posted:

So I tried reinstalling EL after watching SB play some. Unfortunately, it just displays a black screen in the top left corner of my screen with the cursor. It plays the sounds of the introduction so I think it's a video error. After googling, I tried hard setting the resolution in the registry, and wiped all my Microsoft C++ things before a reinstall, but nothing worked :(

It used to work 6+ months ago, but then I updated to Windows 10. Is this potentially the cause?

Hmm did you just update windows 10? I've been hitting snooze on that update for like a week and will def avoid it if it's going to gently caress me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have Windows 10 and the game works fine. While that doesn't rule out some other incompatibility issue, it's not as simple as "Windows 10 doesn't work."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 5, 2019

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I installed ES 2 to see if I could run that instead, and it breaks similarly. Instead of making a black box, it instead just runs in the background. Like, it plays all the music as if it was running and just waiting in the menu once the intro is over, but it refuses to let me switch over to the game.

W T F

e:
And I can't find any resolutions on the steam forums either, from stuff back in 2016

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392110/discussions/0/1489992713710400176/

e e:

quote:

If you can hear music but cannot see anything, its possible the game is incorrectly setting the resolution.

* Go to Start > Run > regedit.exe
* navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amplitude Studios\Endless Space 2
* Manually set these key. Make sure the DECIMAL radio button is selected
* Screenmanager Resolution Height_h2627697771 = 1080
* Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802 = 1920

Doing this it actually temporarily flashes a screen, before resetting to 0/0 values for screen height and width

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 5, 2019

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Are you able to run other games fine? Reinstall your drivers and junk.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Happy Hedonist posted:

Are you able to run other games fine? Reinstall your drivers and junk.

Yeah, other games run fine and I already reinstalled my drivers and redistributables. At this point it's mostly out of curiousity tbh

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

IAmThatIs posted:

So I installed ES 2 to see if I could run that instead, and it breaks similarly. Instead of making a black box, it instead just runs in the background. Like, it plays all the music as if it was running and just waiting in the menu once the intro is over, but it refuses to let me switch over to the game.

W T F

e:
And I can't find any resolutions on the steam forums either, from stuff back in 2016

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392110/discussions/0/1489992713710400176/

e e:

Doing this it actually temporarily flashes a screen, before resetting to 0/0 values for screen height and width

Do you have an ATI video card?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Amethyst posted:

Do you have an ATI video card?

Nope, NVIDIA. Sorry for the threadshitting everyone, but I've spent like 2 hours of my life trying to get this to work cuz I've got a craving for some Endless :(

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So, perhaps a terrible idea, but I was thinking of doing an ES2 SSLP.

Main question is: has this been done recently? Don't want to be hyper redundant, though I don't see a recent one in LP.

(I say terrible because I did about 40 turns of an EL one a few years ago, which ran out of steam cuz I hosed up the screenshot procedure and made way more work for myself than necessary)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tulip posted:

Main question is: has this been done recently? Don't want to be hyper redundant, though I don't see a recent one in LP.

(I say terrible because I did about 40 turns of an EL one a few years ago, which ran out of steam cuz I hosed up the screenshot procedure and made way more work for myself than necessary)

Hang on, what's an SSLP?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, what's an SSLP?

Sexy Sexy Lan Party

Screenshot Let's Play

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Id read a SSLP of Endless Space 2 for sure. Sometimes watch SB on YouTube, he does a good job of showing off the game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tulip posted:

There are FAR TOO FEW sslps of this game. I hate video LPs and would read your SSLP.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I was going to make an SSLP of Endless Legend but it's dead. Sorry. Not really in an LP making mood these days....

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that the Vodyani and Lumeris races have the wrong names? Like they should have the opposite ones. The Vodyani are beings of light and are ultra religious and so Lumeris fits them. The Lumeris are gangster frog dudes and so they would fit Vodyani, which seems to be derived from Vodyanoy who are Slavic frog monsters. The Wikipedia entry for Vodyanoy could be a screenshot of a Lumeris from Endless Space 2 and noone would bat an eye.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The lumeris should be called the Boobyani hahahahahahah. She has big knockers folks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cynic Jester posted:

Sexy Sexy Lan Party

Screenshot Let's Play

Aw man, I want to go to a sexy sexy lan party. I've only ever been to the other kind.
But yeah, I'd for sure read your LP.

mitochondritom posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the Vodyani and Lumeris races have the wrong names? Like they should have the opposite ones. The Vodyani are beings of light and are ultra religious and so Lumeris fits them. The Lumeris are gangster frog dudes and so they would fit Vodyani, which seems to be derived from Vodyanoy who are Slavic frog monsters. The Wikipedia entry for Vodyanoy could be a screenshot of a Lumeris from Endless Space 2 and noone would bat an eye.

I have 100% noticed and been really bothered by this, if only because I am a China Mieville fan. Why are the luminous people not called the Lumeris? Why are the actual literal fish monsters not named after the actual literal fish monsters? Let's just call the tree people the United Empire, and name the beings that were BORN from the RIFT "Cravers" while we''re at it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yes it was Perdido st Station and also the Witcher 1 that made me twig that something was awry. I have decided with no evidence at all that early on in development some wires were crossed and it just got stuck that way, either as a joke or by accident. I can't reconcile that its a coincidence at all.

An Amplitude made China Mieville Bas Lag game would be interesting. Actually any Bas Lag game would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Having a very relaxing game as a bunch of mushroom people who woke up and found no one around.

The red sliver ended up being the Vaulters! Found someone!