Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

If you're a contractor at multiple locations it can get hosed up, if you're getting freelance income or anything that doesn't have withholding it gets you. Like 85% of my brother's income is from Spotify and the remaining 15% is on I-9s, he owes big every year.

But yes, if your income is on a single W2, you probably can't gently caress it up without intentionally setting your withholding way way up.
I have a couple of W2s. My regular employer and DOD. Plus I was deployed for 6 months of last year. I don't do anything funky with any of it. I think I should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

actually i'll have you know that as a matter of fact for your information there aren't many people named Jesus, either.

I have no idea if this is true in spanish cultures but evangelicals will push this idea if they were pressed on it

You can argue that "Joshua" is actually the Anglicized form of Jesus, so yeah, we have a fuckload of Jesus running around America.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Generally what do you have to do to end up owing taxes? gently caress with your withholdings a bunch?

Selling lots of stock or other investments is often what gets people in trouble when tax time rolls around. Also contractors and individuals with a lot of pass through income will often owe large amounts if they haven’t done the proper planning.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

Generally what do you have to do to end up owing taxes? gently caress with your withholdings a bunch?

Commonly:
Wrong withholding rate and/or employer not taking withholding out of bonuses
Getting hosed on removed SALT deduction
Non W-2 income streams that you aren't rich enough to pay people to loophole the taxes away

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

EBB posted:

Hate speech is generally based on inherent, inseparable attributes of a person. It may not make him any less of an rear end in a top hat, but Schultz could choose to give it all away.

literally every anti-lgbt christian meme except about billionaires

"i will pray that he turns away from his sinful lifestyle"

"we run a retreat to help people like him remember how jesus wants them to live"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I havent had taxable income in years. poo poo is wild

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

literally every anti-lgbt christian meme except about billionaires

"i will pray that he turns away from his sinful lifestyle"

"we run a retreat to help people like him remember how jesus wants them to live"

Eye of the needle, not that they would ever practice it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got hosed on my taxes.
1. Glorious leader made a mistake, he wouldn't do this on purpose.
2. Glorious leader does not make mistakes.
3. This is part of a grand plan I don't yet understand and I will be paid back tenfold.
-Trump Voters

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Higher middle income people in blue states got hosed because of the state and local tax deduction.

Much as it hurts to get hosed this year, I was ready and wasn't counting on the return for anything. I'm hoping the people at work who are still in the "knowing everything I know today, I still wouldn't have voted for Hillary" camp do their taxes in the next few weeks and get a surprise. Would make it worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Got hosed on my taxes.
1. Glorious leader made a mistake, he wouldn't do this on purpose.
2. Glorious leader does not make mistakes.
3. This is part of a grand plan I don't yet understand and I will be paid back tenfold.
-Trump Voters

4. It's the Democrats' fault.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

4. It's the Democrats' fault.
5. There is a secret pedophile ring operating out of DC pizzeria. I know this because Glorious Leader sends me clues through my tv and computer disguised as unintelligible nonsense. I'm going to go there with a gun and save all the children. I will be a hero to all the children, except my own of course.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

5. There is a secret pedophile ring operating out of DC pizzeria. I know this because Glorious Leader sends me clues through my tv and computer disguised as unintelligible nonsense. I'm going to go there with a gun and save all the children. I will be a hero to all the children, except my own of course.

6) I will gladly pay more if it makes the libs pay even more

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This is a great lesson for everyone about how they should be already making north of 7 figures annually so any new expense is on them for not bootstrapping better

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Because the tax bill was rushed through at the end of the year, the IRS couldn't provide any guidance to companies on proper withholding rates. A lot of people were still having their pay withheld at rates that presumed you could deduct your state income taxes. As a result, they wound of paying too little.

The tax bill basically transferred money from blue states to red states with no income tax.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 5, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Also I can't itemize this year because of the rule changes. My wife and I got hosed.

Are you filing jointly and did you have more than $24k worth of itemized deductions?

e: "You can’t include in medical expenses amounts you pay for controlled substances that aren’t legal under federal law, even if such substances are legalized by state law."

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

Hell, same.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Are you filing jointly and did you have more than $24k worth of itemized deductions?

e: "You can’t include in medical expenses amounts you pay for controlled substances that aren’t legal under federal law, even if such substances are legalized by state law."

I should save all my receipts from buying weed and give them to the VA when it shakes out that they'll acknowledge medical marijuana.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I made ~20% more in 2018 than 2017 and I get back roughly a hundred bucks more than last year. I need to adjust my withholding more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I should save all my receipts from buying weed and give them to the VA when it shakes out that they'll acknowledge medical marijuana.
Sir, each of these is stapled to a Taco Bell receipt, sometimes two from an hour apart.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

I made ~20% more in 2018 than 2017 and I get back roughly a hundred bucks more than last year. I need to adjust my withholding more.

What was your effective rate, though? That's what really matters.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Casimir Radon posted:

Sir, each of these is stapled to a Taco Bell receipt, sometimes two from an hour apart.

Medical munchies

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
See, this is how you do it. You don’t slutshame stupidly over a modeling career; you point out the obvious inequity.

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1092820498394734594?s=21

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

What was your effective rate, though? That's what really matters.

~18.5%

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://abc11.com/30-people-taken-into-custody-by-ice-at-sanford-company/5122017/

It still counts as buying American if the company employs shitloads of illegals right? Apparently the hr department is just turning over all the employee records to make it easier for dhs to find the immigrants

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Because the tax bill was rushed through at the end of the year, the IRS couldn't provide any guidance to companies on proper withholding rates. A lot of people were still having their pay withheld at rates that presumed you could deduct your state income taxes. As a result, they wound of paying too little.

The tax bill basically transferred money from blue states to red states with no income tax.

Yep. Right when we were supposed to be in the middle of EOY and BOY processes....like getting the seasonal employees back and bringing people up to speed on tax law changes but nooooooooooo Dirty Donny shut down our poo poo because he wants to build himself a loving monument to his Royal Orangeness across the entire southern border of our country.

Also you should have probably claimed zero if you live in a state with state income tax in preparation for Dirty Donny's personal tax cut/theft.

E: you can probably do whatever you want because no one is going to check due to the fact that we've been under a hiring freeze since 2010(few exceptions) and like 60% of everyone can retire now and probably will...

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 5, 2019

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Really glad the persons detained will have their lives ruined while the company owners have no consequences

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

7) gently caress over everyone because they're against God and Ill go to heaven

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also only worth it for tax reasons if it is several thousands of dollars. I checked

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soulex posted:

7) gently caress over everyone because they're against God and Ill go to heaven

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1092871139536371712?s=19

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

it's true, there is no cure for guillotine

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Reign Of Pain posted:

E: you can probably do whatever you want because no one is going to check due to the fact that we've been under a hiring freeze since 2010(few exceptions) and like 60% of everyone can retire now and probably will...

Can't wait for stuff like this to start working it's way in to large scale cultural beliefs. Countries always work wonderfully when the prevailing, unspoken belief of the population is, "Eh, there's no effective government or enforcement anyway, nothing's going to happen if we ignore it."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Is that higher or lower than last year for you? I’m just curious if your overall effective rate went up or down. Most people in your income area I know have seen a slight increase.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The people who made our current hellscape possible are the same ones who made this stupid piece of poo poo and his garbage family one of the most popular things on tv for several years.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Some of the illegals at bear creek had been there for a year. I wonder if they wanted non slave wages so the company reported them

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Can't wait for stuff like this to start working it's way in to large scale cultural beliefs. Countries always work wonderfully when the prevailing, unspoken belief of the population is, "Eh, there's no effective government or enforcement anyway, nothing's going to happen if we ignore it."

Welcome to Greece 2.0

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its loving hilarious since the economies of a number of red states are basically built on a labor force of cheap(illegal) labor. looking at you, Texas and farming states

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all have been good little Gipper's, so here's a video of Patriots fans beating each other up.

https://twitter.com/Listen2TheBeatt/status/1092848911545520128?s=19

Unfortunately, a meteor doesn't fall on the whole group, but we can dream.

I'm the PBR on the sidewalk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I need to formally do my taxes, but estimates are that I’ll save a couple thousand or so. But I’m not a terribly typical household: DINK, house paid off, live in a state with property tax only and no income tax. So basically well set up for the tax cuts to leave me with a lower tax bill.

But it’s lower in the “oh, neat” sense whereas longterm impacts could be “oh gently caress, shiiiiit” when it comes to what such cuts do to the country.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its loving hilarious since the economies of a number of red states are basically built on a labor force of cheap(illegal) labor. looking at you, Texas and farming states

But but but we're a "right to work" state....right to get hosed in the rear end and then shitcanned when your rear end in a top hat gets too loose for the foreman to enjoy anymore....though it did have the benefit of telling contract companies to go eat cock when they tried to demand a headhunters fee if the main company wanted to make you perm.

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is that higher or lower than last year for you? I’m just curious if your overall effective rate went up or down. Most people in your income area I know have seen a slight increase.

Yeah it's a touch more, roughly a quarter of a percent. So my AGI goes up by ~22%, my effective rate goes up .25%. That's not good for anybody long term.