Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm a 31 year old man who is 6'4" and 220 lb and I recently bought my first BMX bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I have already bent two seatposts

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sjs00 posted:

Then I would be a 100% shut in except for work. some need human contact and some need to reject human contact, if that makes sense. I'm socially anti social. I gotta get out and ignore people
E I also just baked brownies with a 1/2 cup of protein powder if you want to come over
E2 and anyway my lifestyle focus is on mobility. I could drive to work, or the gym, or GameStop or whatever but instead I choose skateboarding. It's like leg day every day and when the zombie apocalypse occurs I won't be caught with my dick out when cars and gasoline shortages become a thing. I've been traveling 4+ miles regularly and with great speed; it's the superior method of transportation and you find interesting things on the ground all the time. Plus I look cool asf not like the corpulent adipose golems like 99% of America. Cars and smartphones are mentally retarded and lazy
I own both a car and a phone but I choose skateboarding and a loving notebook and pen and Im peak physical health more or less effortlessly

What's wrong with a bicycle?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
You can't say cool words like mongo or switch tre flip when you talk about your bike

Also I think I want to push hard/focus on a 2-plate overhead press. I don't think I've seen anyone at my gym do that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Omnikin posted:

You can't say cool words like mongo or switch tre flip when you talk about your bike

Also I think I want to push hard/focus on a 2-plate overhead press. I don't think I've seen anyone at my gym do that

Overhead press you mean right?

I'm starting a new 4d/wk 12 week cycle today. It has joyful lifts like snatch+overhead squat, speed front squats, and clean+front squats. My goals to lower my catch positions.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 5, 2019

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

david carmichael posted:

I mean if you are 13 and it is the early 90s then i agree that you lool cool as hell and also bad rear end

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

david carmichael posted:

I mean if you are 13 and it is the early 90s then i agree that you lool cool as hell and also bad rear end

I look like I'm about 16 and I'm actually 23. It's just straight vitality bro.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What's wrong with a bicycle?

Serious answer is that it's not as social as a skateboard. With a board you can hop off it at any time or pick it up and walk easier; if you're so inclined. Also my legs are hella short I'm 5'3. Also the back posture is weird idk.

Philosophy is something I think about a lot. Your skin and muscle tissue cells die and regenerate everyday. So in theory you're not composed of the same cells as you were 10 years ago. So are you the same person?

But if you make an inanimate object an extension of the self, a skateboard, a grimy keyboard, a katana, etc. Then that part of your body is effectively immortal. It all depends on what exactly you choose to make an extension of yourself.
Millennials these days choose a sinister spy device that the government uses to loving control them and antiquated combustion engines as likely to kill them as atrophy their bodies to a jiggly gelatin.

Read Snowcrash for the skateboarding perspective I have based my lifestyle on

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

getting some rear end obviously

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

I look like I'm about 16 and I'm actually 23. It's just straight vitality bro.

Serious answer is that it's not as social as a skateboard. With a board you can hop off it at any time or pick it up and walk easier; if you're so inclined. Also my legs are hella short I'm 5'3. Also the back posture is weird idk.

Philosophy is something I think about a lot. Your skin and muscle tissue cells die and regenerate everyday. So in theory you're not composed of the same cells as you were 10 years ago. So are you the same person?

But if you make an inanimate object an extension of the self, a skateboard, a grimy keyboard, a katana, etc. Then that part of your body is effectively immortal. It all depends on what exactly you choose to make an extension of yourself.
Millennials these days choose a sinister spy device that the government uses to loving control them and antiquated combustion engines as likely to kill them as atrophy their bodies to a jiggly gelatin.

:pusheen:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sjs00 posted:

I, uh, have? And I still have no idea what you're talking about but you get out there and do you, internet guy.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I, uh, have? And I still have no idea what you're talking about but you get out there and do you, internet guy.

You sure don't, and won't.
E have you read futuristic guns and fancy suits? Thats another vision of the future that's not too far off.

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2019

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
This thread got radical real fast. :krad:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hell it sounds a bit absurd but what the hell, go for it, sk8r 4 lyfe.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I'm the kind of skater who hangs out with the young black kids outside of Target who are making those palm tree roses, or trades their games into GameStop for cash for them because they're not 18. I bring them water or food but never give them actual $$. I hopefully teach them a lesson.

You are the kind of person who 100 % ignores them.
Who's the better role model

doverhog posted:

Hell it sounds a bit absurd but what the hell, go for it, sk8r 4 lyfe.

Thanks. In this dystopic world some of us have to fight back

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You're probably not talking to me but I never want to be a role model to anyone more like cautionary tale.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
So uh how about them weights guys? Dumbbells and barbells I like to lift them up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feelix posted:

So uh how about them weights guys? Dumbbells and barbells I like to lift them up

Word.

I had a poo poo day in the temple today. The fatigue is setting in and I haven’t been able to eat enough.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I trained bench yesterday for the first time in over a year and boy are my arms tired tits sore.

Once a year is definitely enough, though.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

doverhog posted:

You're probably not talking to me but I never want to be a role model to anyone more like cautionary tale.

Oh agreed. It just sucks because as we grow older we don't really have a choice. The youth watch us and learn. When they're not glued to the networked device that is.
Anyway gonna go to the gym now my triceps hunger

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm going to do this partially because leg press will be right after squats so I don't want to change shoes. Close/low stance plus shoes (and sleeves because I'm old) and I'm going to make my quads cry.

This is fun but in between the squats and presses do some weighted back raises using an ez bar so you can really regret having your entire posterior chain

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Helios Grime posted:

This is such a goony post, I love it. :discourse:
Not hating, seriously.

it's a very good post.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sjs00 posted:

Yes. A person is more than the sum of a collection of cells.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i would be happy if i just looked naturally like i do with a sick pump

pump me is my goal physique

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

i would be happy if i just looked naturally like i do with a sick pump

pump me is my goal physique

You'll never be as big as your pump - Dom Mazetti

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

sassassin posted:

drat...that’s deep

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Just saying, this feels like it's doing more quad work for me than high bar squats, with like half the fatigue. The ROM is a lot smaller than I thought, especially because of the narrow stance and the focus on keeping my hips down on the seat. But doing sets of like 12-20 made me cry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

All hail Dom.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just saying, this feels like it's doing more quad work for me than high bar squats, with like half the fatigue. The ROM is a lot smaller than I thought, especially because of the narrow stance and the focus on keeping my hips down on the seat. But doing sets of like 12-20 made me cry.

Yeah, because you can only push with your quads and don't need to stabilize anything. The magic of squats is in all of the balance and stabilization you need to do to get it right.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
With regards to pump, is arginine / citrulline / malate all nonsense, or worth trying out, or what?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CheesyDog posted:

I don't quite get that statement, because by controlling for LBM aren't you removing the thing that testosterone most directly affects?

The question is whether testosterone gives any advantage above and beyond increasing LBM. In this case, the answer is apparently no.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Homestar Runner posted:

With regards to pump, is arginine / citrulline / malate all nonsense, or worth trying out, or what?

I don't know if the benefit is the pump specifically, but it seems like the current consensus on whether citrulline malate does anything beneficial at all for strength training is a very, very weak "probably".

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I donno what it is with these machines but whenever I've tried I pretty much can not even come close to hitting a max weight without putting every plate in the entire gym on it, yet I have unremarkable numbers on squat/dl/etc

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

The question is whether testosterone gives any advantage above and beyond increasing LBM. In this case, the answer is apparently no.

I mean I get what you're saying but this is literally the increasing LBM thread

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I don't think furries actually bother to lift anything other than their increasingly encrusted, unwashed fursuits

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ultrafilter posted:

Isn't that enough? The bigger you are, the stronger you can be.

And, more importantly you're bigger.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

That is not the wolf pack I wanted to see.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Look at that giant cock.

e:

Hi soy! I hope you're well!

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
I think the claims regarding testosterone are that in the normal physiological range it has no effect on gains as a proportion of existing lean mass.

So if the average male increases LBM by 20% over a period of time, then the average female will also increase LBM by 20% over that period of time, despite the large difference in testosterone between those populations.

However the difference in starting LBM between those populations is obviously strongly affected by testosterone, and 20% of a larger number is a larger number, so in absolute terms the average male gains more.

So in other words, testosterone's effect on LBM is independent of training, within the normal physiological range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sore tits update: Made front rack more awkward than normal.

Another strong point in favour of no benching.