Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Esports is just advertising dollars put to use in a different way, crossplay is just a netcode feature in a game with bad netcode. And lol the 60 dollar game finally has a half-decent roster and some interesting costumes after 3 years worth of DLC not even covered by a single season pass.

It's all relative, they get a lot of heat for a little effort. It's clear they care about it as a money-maker but anyone who played this game for those first 2 years shouldn't have any illusions about how much they care about it as an actual fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
SFV is bad and incompetent, but it's certainly not for lack of effort and attention... with the exception of the netcode.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk maybe in the context of MVCi it's not that bad but the experience of trying to play SFV for a year or so was what made me avoid that turd in the first place.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

mango sentinel posted:

SFV is bad and incompetent, but it's certainly not for lack of effort and attention... with the exception of the netcode.

effort and attention... like when it took a year for sfv to work with directinput controllers despite the official controllers being directinput? or when it took 2 years to acknowledge and reduce the questionably large input lag in the game? or being so tone deaf they added the ad style stuff? or adding a rootkit to a regular update? or launching the game without basic features and modes? even without actually talking about the anemic gameplay, this game is still completely embarrassing.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Everyone say 1 good thing about SFV.

I'll start. Fang is a great character.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
online lobbies are pretty fun and lag free

roster's pretty expansive at this point.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Astrochicken posted:

Well you took mine sooooo

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Astrochicken posted:

Capcom removed the rootkit they installed on everyone's computer

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
... I like Menat

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ed and G are genuinely cool characters I hope had any chance of making it into future games, but that might also be a double edged sword because idk if Capcom is going to make another SF game I like

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kolin is kinda sorta fun

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ADTerminal posted:

https://twitter.com/Bri4nF/status/1092802058594467841?s=20

Saw this tweet and it reminded me this thread exists

k but this part is better

https://twitter.com/Chris_Tatarian/status/1092845818871083009
https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1092868783276879872

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can queue into a match usually within 30 seconds years after launch that's pretty nice

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yohosie is a gift to humankind.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Astrochicken posted:

it has the strongest roster of any street fighter game besides cvs2 (with the huge asterix attached that most of the cast is dlc, requires a dlc outfit to not look stupid, or both). it has fantastic music. it has a lot of fun throwbacks to old rear end lore from the 90's. it has consistently great new characters with only a few stinkers and I would like to see many of them in a different game. the game design is hosed up and Not True Street Fighter but it knows what it wants to be unlike SF4 which was a game aimed at casual SF2 nostalgia fans but was full of 1frame links and OSes, and V triggers and crush counters are slightly less stupid mechanics than ultras and focus. in general SF5 is much closer to being weird bad looking worse playing 3D third strike than SF4 was at being the equivilent for SF2/alpha.

too bad everything I didn't mention here is maybe the absolute worst it can possibly be lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Astrochicken posted:

Buttons feel awesome to smash

Lots of great character designs

New characters are very cool

Music and sound are killer

Massive amount of amazing alt costumes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm a very casual fighting game player, but something important and pretty basic to fighting games, that I still don't always get from them, is that I can almost always learn from a failure; I know enough about what was happening to know what went wrong and pinpoint the exact move that I need to learn to anticipate. Fixing it might be a little hard sometimes, but I can learn from it and improve without further education about what happened.

I do say that in part because I played it shortly after playing Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is basically on the whole other end of the scale in 'understanding what's going on' because the fights are super fast and every combo is like 50 hits. Between those two, I prefer SFV's pacing and ease of read a lot more.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i dont need to discord to get fights quickly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

playing dbzf made my defense in sfv a ton better

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cleretic posted:

I'm a very casual fighting game player, but something important and pretty basic to fighting games, that I still don't always get from them, is that I can almost always learn from a failure; I know enough about what was happening to know what went wrong and pinpoint the exact move that I need to learn to anticipate. Fixing it might be a little hard sometimes, but I can learn from it and improve without further education about what happened.

I do say that in part because I played it shortly after playing Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is basically on the whole other end of the scale in 'understanding what's going on' because the fights are super fast and every combo is like 50 hits. Between those two, I prefer SFV's pacing and ease of read a lot more.

Have you played Tekken 7/SCVI? They’re opposite ends on the complexity spectrum but as someone who seems to play at the pace you mentioned I’ve found them both very nice to learn from. Their buttons are very clear visually too. In Tekken you can say “oh that was a left hand punch move” and go from there. SC is just as easy “dude keeps hitting with that vertical so I need to side step more” etc. they’re slower paced in a way that gives me just enough breathing room to stay mindful of what’s happening.

I will say though as a fellow DBFZ noob trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening, it does become more clear over time. In that game don’t be afraid to use the autocombos while learning the mechanics online. When you’re not trying to nail real combos you have more brainpower for learning the rest and getting comfortable. There’s definitely a flow to DBFZ but it has taken me forever to figure out what the gently caress is ever happening and what I need to be thinking at any moment.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Chun’s instant air lighting legs feels good to do

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Astrochicken posted:

V-Skills and Triggers were a great idea to help diversify and add depth to characters, many of which were stale archetypes that have changed very little over several games.

Some of the music is cool.

**Some** of the new characters are fairly cool and they all are pretty much less embarrassing than the new SF4 characters were.

Karin's redesign is cool, and she has lots of sexy costumes.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The animation for the the most part is extremely good.

interrodactyl posted:

Capcom removed the rootkit they installed on everyone's computer

Not even, they couldn't remove the rootkit with a patch so had to release a seperate tool to be run manually.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

darealkooky posted:

unlike SF4 which was a game aimed at casual SF2 nostalgia fans but was full of 1frame links and OSes

What does this even mean? You know that game had one frame links and option selects also, right? Why does that matter to Casual SF2 Nostalgia fans?

Not even going to touch the 5/3s comparison because the only possible one you can make is that dashes are fast.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you played Tekken 7/SCVI? They’re opposite ends on the complexity spectrum but as someone who seems to play at the pace you mentioned I’ve found them both very nice to learn from. Their buttons are very clear visually too. In Tekken you can say “oh that was a left hand punch move” and go from there. SC is just as easy “dude keeps hitting with that vertical so I need to side step more” etc. they’re slower paced in a way that gives me just enough breathing room to stay mindful of what’s happening.

I haven't played those two specifically, but I did play Soul Caliburs 2 and 3 when I was younger. I probably wasn't great, but I was 'win against the famously bullshit harder SC3 AIs' good, which counts for something.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Astrochicken posted:

It took me over two years to discover this, but despite not really liking how anyone else plays on the roster, I legit really like Kolin and I hope she comes back in SF6

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MechaX posted:

It took me over two years to discover this, but despite not really liking how anyone else plays on the roster, I legit really like Kolin and I hope she comes back in SF6

It helps that her music rules. A lot, maybe even most of the new characters are cool additions.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Astrochicken posted:

Rashid, Kolin, Ed, Abigail, Menat, Zeku and G are really cool and fun

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Rashid, Kolin, Ed, Abigail, Menat, Zeku and G are really cool and fun

Swap Ed and Abigail for Fang and Laura. Also, put them in a good game.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Free zeku from V, please

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Swap Ed and Abigail for Fang and Laura. Also, put them in a good game.

Honestly only Ed and Falke really feel phoned in. Falke is at least a functional and possibly even strong character now even if her characterization leaves something to be desired. Ed's still a bit of a mess.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

The animations for characters are still really great, especially for later characters like Menat, G, and Zeku. MVCI and SFV both have problems but things like key animation poses and the general flow of how characters move are on point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
most of the effort went towards making costumes for the female characters

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Menat is good because 1) she infuriates people as a zoner, 2) she's cute and 3) she protected Rose from being in this cursed game.

No but that walk animation is very powerful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

most of the effort went towards making costumes for the female characters

Their work is not complete until Karin has a Tron Bonne costume.

That nobody can get because fight money no longer exists.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

DLC Inc posted:

The animations for characters are still really great, especially for later characters like Menat, G, and Zeku. MVCI and SFV both have problems but things like key animation poses and the general flow of how characters move are on point.

walking away from ppl as Menat while spamming orbs is the best thing in the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thief posted:

walking away from ppl as Menat while spamming orbs is the best thing in the game

the people who animated Menat in general def wanted to flex on every other character, same for whoever came up with Zeku doing a kata after every special move. Zeku's whole appearance and theme music is just plain rad.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I have a bizarre fondness for R Mika's bullshit. Even though there's plenty of better grappler characters out there, I get a kind of simple joy in Rope Throw resets.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the people who animated Menat in general def wanted to flex on every other character, same for whoever came up with Zeku doing a kata after every special move. Zeku's whole appearance and theme music is just plain rad.

Dhalsim too, I think every single move of his has mesh deformations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing one Capcom fighter a month for over a year and finally got to SFV last week and.... I'm having a really good time. I'm a pretty terrible player so frame counting complex combo poo poo is largely beyond me, but it's funny how easy it is to beat low ranking players with just a basic defensive strategy (I'm playing Cammy for what it's worth). Everyone is always rushing to attack and just hanging back, blocking and waiting for a chance to counter into a dirt simple scrub level combo seems to be working pretty well. Plus there are so many predictable shotos that you can easily bait into throwing a fireball at mid-range, which is easy to punish and they. never. learn.

Do goons still meet up and play? It'd be nice to get ground into the dirt by someone that actually knows what they're doing.