Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

looking forward to this week's extremely predictable and not at all tiresome news cycle of credulous pundits praising trump for doing nice-sounding talky sounds right before being replaced by him taking another poo poo on national tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Family Values posted:

Twitter: the cancer that we all hate, but we spend all day every day linking to it. Even when it's just a tweet that contains nothing but a link to an actual article.

For me, that's just cause it's a handy way to display a link preview on SA

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dad Jokes posted:

looking forward to this week's extremely predictable and not at all tiresome news cycle of credulous pundits praising trump for doing nice-sounding talky sounds right before being replaced by him taking another poo poo on national tv

One week to shutdown/national emergency/screechy whining/NK nuke/(infrastructure week?).

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

For me, that's just cause it's a handy way to display a link preview on SA

@jack thanks you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kale posted:

The impression I sometimes get is that Trump brought a lot of people with strong opinions on specific wedge issues into U.S Politics who perhaps didn't really follow it all that closely before. People tend to break really hard for or against him with very strong sentiment either way, but as I keep saying it often feels like something gets lost in-between on how the daily ins and outs all get un-packaged. Often I just feel on a completely different wave length than many on what the pertinent matter of the day is with regard to U.S Politics and News.

I guess one common example is the whole :decorum: thing. The way I see it Democratic government tends to run better (or perhaps less worse in the case of modern congress) when there's at least some attempt to not have everything devolve into an us vs. them moment where it doesn't serve a particular purpose. Many seem to see it a sign of weakness or capitulation, but I've rarely found it to be the case. It's like just....parliamentary poo poo.

From the sounds of the news and more direct analysis the speech was rather unremarkable by Trump standards. Perhaps that's the best anyone could have hoped for.

personally i support compromise. my platform is that if you have a chronic illness they flip a coin; if it's heads the government pays for your treatment and if it's tails then billionaires get to hunt you for sport

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

AHHHH! AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS IM PIVOTING

Alpha! Trump has escaped! Recruit a team of millennials with progressive policy platforms!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mllaneza posted:

We made progress in 2012.

We did?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Lolling at “mainstream misleadia.” I don’t think I’ve heard that one before now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

personally i support compromise. my platform is that if you have a chronic illness they flip a coin; if it's heads the government pays for your treatment and if it's tails then billionaires get to hunt you for sport

That strikes me as the exact opposite of compromise. One extreme or the other. :gonk:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kale posted:

The impression I sometimes get is that Trump brought a lot of people with strong opinions on specific wedge issues into U.S Politics who perhaps didn't really follow it all that closely before. People tend to break really hard for or against him with very strong sentiment either way, but as I keep saying it often feels like something gets lost in-between on how the daily ins and outs all get un-packaged. Often I just feel on a completely different wave length than many on what the pertinent matter of the day is with regard to U.S Politics and News.

I guess one common example is the whole :decorum: thing. The way I see it Democratic government tends to run better (or perhaps less worse in the case of modern congress) when there's at least some attempt to not have everything devolve into an us vs. them moment where it doesn't serve a particular purpose. Many seem to see it a sign of weakness or capitulation, but I've rarely found it to be the case. It's like just....parliamentary poo poo.

From the sounds of the news and more direct analysis the speech was rather unremarkable by Trump standards. Perhaps that's the best anyone could have hoped for.

I can understand people freaking out when it's an election, but this is a bullshit speech that meant nothing. The most interesting thing about this speech is that it almost didn't happen.

Then again, I guess it's really just an excuse for people vent about other things that are bothering them. Lord knows I've done that myself a lot in these kind of threads. It's just that the anger and doom and gloom is directed at something especially pointless and petty this time so it comes off as a little weird.

"Oh no, AOC clapped or chanted at something or whatever, this cancels out everything else she's ever done or said for some reason" :geno:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lolling at “mainstream misleadia.” I don’t think I’ve heard that one before now.

It's funnier than "lamestream media".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mllaneza posted:

We made progress in 2008. We made progress in 2012. We made progress in 2018. We will make progress in 2020. We are winning. Some of you are already tired, but come forward with me comrades. Always forwards, never a step back.

if we've been winning since 2008 I'd hate to see losing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"The lamestream media and libs expected the President to lay out some goal or plan for the future, but instead he rambled on blindly, he's so good at this." Goddamn, I'm not the smartest person around, but I thank whatever higher power out there made sure I wasn't this dumb

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

T. Bombastus posted:

Haha what a self-obsessed weirdo.

"wow if only someone somewhere was able to warn us that centrists are actually bad"
*ignores every single piece of leftist content that has been created in the past half decade, just fuckin... everything from articles to podcasts to twitter threads to forum posts*
"drat can't believe nobody else is as cool and wise as i am, time to make a weird backpatting post about it"

It blows my mind that there are posters who cannot see how unequivocally full of poo poo Prester Jane is.

Still not sure I've seen her successfully pass the "don't mention yourself in a post" challenge

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I spent my evening not watching this, and not drinking, because I've spent the last two years drinking too much and obsessively following the news long past the point that being my being informed is in any way helpful to how I treat other people or the world in general and having done this, it seems so much more obvious that the high conservatives will have simply because the diaper baby didn't poo poo his pants on live television will end incredibly soon.

Also, I understand he didn't declare a national emergency, so that's good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Family Values posted:

@jack thanks you.

W-wait, I'm the Nazi?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"There's no ethical posting..."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can understand people freaking out when it's an election, but this is a bullshit speech that meant nothing. The most interesting thing about this speech is that it almost didn't happen.

Then again, I guess it's really just an excuse for people vent about other things that are bothering them. Lord knows I've done that myself a lot in these kind of threads. It's just that the anger and doom and gloom is directed at something especially pointless and petty this time so it comes off as a little weird.

"Oh no, AOC clapped or chanted at something or whatever, this cancels out everything else she's ever done or said for some reason" :geno:

The only thing I find interesting about this speech is that Trump's zombies have so totally wrapped up their egos in him that they're lauding a speech that's as close as he'll ever get to Decorum.

Granted, it's because they see it as a brilliant 11th Dimensional Chess Move that will surely secure The Wall rather than REAL decorum, but even a few weeks ago they would have seen this as complete abandonment on his part.

I think we have to come to the sad conclusion that while the shutdown was a devastating defeat for Trump in almost every way, it was a win in the only category he cared about : cementing up the fractures among that 30% brainwashed base. We all saw the fear and doubt and rage boiling over in the weeks leading up to the shutdown in holes like T_D and 4chan and whatnot. If he had backed off from the wall, or the Lame Duck House had failed to pass the Wall bill, they would be eating each other alive. Instead they believe more strongly than ever because he "fought for them," and so they've finally reached the point where he can literally do no wrong, even when he outright betrays what they expect of him. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "He's leaving Clinton unarrested as an elaborate plot," takes soon from Q psychos, and if he outright folds on the wall I expect the line will be that he did it so he could make it a wedge issue to ensure his re-election and the retaking of the House in 2020.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SocketWrench posted:

"The lamestream media and libs expected the President to lay out some goal or plan for the future, but instead he rambled on blindly, he's so good at this." Goddamn, I'm not the smartest person around, but I thank whatever higher power out there made sure I wasn't this dumb

And who with any intelligence thought Trump wouldn't give a drowsy lame speech for SOTU? That's what he does for major speeches. I mean, the Oval Office speech wasn't that long ago and he almost fell asleep at his desk giving it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sanguinia posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "He's leaving Clinton unarrested as an elaborate plot," takes soon from Q psychos, and if he outright folds on the wall I expect the line will be that he did it so he could make it a wedge issue to ensure his re-election and the retaking of the House in 2020.

the Q people already do this trump is not arresting Clinton yet so she can act as a honeypot to round up even more pizza pedo peeps for the REAL reckoning

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

SocketWrench posted:

Oh Trump has definitely filled his shoes

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

1glitch0 posted:

And who with any intelligence thought Trump wouldn't give a drowsy lame speech for SOTU? That's what he does for major speeches. I mean, the Oval Office speech wasn't that long ago and he almost fell asleep at his desk giving it.

I mean, we did get that report that Trump was pissed about the speech and wanted to make the whole thing nothing but making GBS threads on the Dems. The odds of us getting an unhinged rant about how his enemies will suffer and bleed and he will use their very corpses to have his wall were not 0.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

were just going to get that in the morning off of twitter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

reddit has decided that the democrats clapping when trump talked about women proves that democrats got played by trump, but also proves that women are all stupid, inherently, and the reason democrats are bad is there are more women representing democrats

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

were just going to get that in the morning off of twitter

dudes gonna flip his entire poo poo when he sees footage of AOC not standing at attention and slapping her mitts together like a trained seal every time he successfully managed to belch out a complete sentence

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Kale posted:

That strikes me as the exact opposite of compromise. One extreme or the other. :gonk:
Fine, fine. If you get sick the government pays billionaires to hunt you for sport.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Fine, fine. If you get sick the government pays billionaires to hunt you for sport.

now that's the Democratic leadership I love. ah, bipartisanship

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

no, the billionaires are paid through an EITC

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

1glitch0 posted:

if we've been winning since 2008 I'd hate to see losing.

Well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuWg6AyzETg

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

I don't understand anyone calling this a Death Stare. She is clearly upset/angry but looks worried and a TINY bit scared. I'm not suggesting she's out of her depth or a coward but she clearly understands that we're living in a loving madhouse.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

CmdrRiker posted:

Did anyone see any fascist hand signals thrown yet? :tinfoil:

e: please look at my dog

I have observed your dog.
Your dog appears to be a stoned bodybuilder.
I approve of your dog.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Strange Poon posted:

I don't understand anyone calling this a Death Stare. She is clearly upset/angry but looks worried and a TINY bit scared. I'm not suggesting she's out of her depth or a coward but she clearly understands that we're living in a loving madhouse.

It's kinda perfect. It's the exact look a sane human being would have being in the house surrounded by elderly lunatics and nazis and corporate sycophants and watching a speech by noted game show host and WWE Hall of Famer and president of the united states Donald Trump. It's a genuine reaction and she is totally out of her element, but that's not a bad thing. It's like sneaking onto the Death Star and being surrounded by a hundred stormtroopers. It has to be the weirdest loving thing if you're an actual normal human being.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Majorian posted:

When it's CNN, pretty often. They have him on a lot. Like, an unseemly amount.

He is literally employed by them.

I think it was in 2017 that Zucker basically said in some industry forum that the politics of the Trump era had been the greatest boon for CNN’s bottom line and that they were in the business of bringing people “human drama” first and information second. And that that was how they approached doing political commentary.

CNN doesn’t keep trogs like Santorum on their payroll or trot them out all of the time because they’re popular or because a critical mass of Americans share their beliefs or because Turner expect that their viewers will want to connect with the full range of partisan opinions. They don’t have Santorum on there to give nuanced policy opinions or speak from experience or win converts.

Rick Santorum’s job at CNN is to say objectionable fringe poo poo and make your blood pressure spike. Then he’ll get into a shouting match with Van or one of the Democratic guests and you’ll get a vicarious thrill. It’s literally just the punditry equivalent of wrestling, with a revolving roster of heels and faces whose job is to entertain rather than inform. And the people who do this job day-after-day can switch it on and off at the drop of a commercial break.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strange Poon posted:

She went from serving drinks in a local bar to sitting in the halls of congress staring down a man who is simultaneously deranged, criminally desperate, and has two-second access to a nuclear arsenal for any reason he wishes, especially after he singles you out in his speech to the nation in all but name. I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for that kind of leap. I don't blame her if she was a bit scared.

The more I see of her, the more I understand why people like Ben Shapiro are so brokenly obsessed with her. She is the real deal.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
My takeaway:

https://twitter.com/josh_weinberg/status/1092991215232966656?s=21

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Electric Bugaloo posted:

He is literally employed by them.

I think it was in 2017 that Zucker basically said in some industry forum that the politics of the Trump era had been the greatest boon for CNN’s bottom line and that they were in the business of bringing people “human drama” first and information second. And that that was how they approached doing political commentary.

CNN doesn’t keep trogs like Santorum on their payroll or trot them out all of the time because they’re popular or because a critical mass of Americans share their beliefs or because Turner expect that their viewers will want to connect with the full range of partisan opinions. They don’t have Santorum on there to give nuanced policy opinions or speak from experience or win converts.

Rick Santorum’s job at CNN is to say objectionable fringe poo poo and make your blood pressure spike. Then he’ll get into a shouting match with Van or one of the Democratic guests and you’ll get a vicarious thrill. It’s literally just the punditry equivalent of wrestling, with a revolving roster of heels and faces whose job is to entertain rather than inform. And the people who do this job day-after-day can switch it on and off at the drop of a commercial break.

I watch very little cable news, but observing the evolution of what it has become is fascinating. CNN and MSNBC are exactly just pro wrestling punditry while Fox has gone from being a propaganda arm of the government to I'm not sure what. I think a lot of hands are in that cookie jar and are basically directing the president what to do? In the old days the president would tell Fox what to say and do, now it's the opposite. It's very odd.

I'm old enough to remember when Turner was in charge of CNN and it was a lot better. Not great, but not this. There was a concept of ethics and journalism. Now it's just talk rasslin.

nine-gear crow posted:

She went from serving drinks in a local bar to sitting in the halls of congress staring down a man who is simultaneously deranged, criminally desperate, and has two-second access to a nuclear arsenal for any reason he wishes, especially after he singles you out in his speech to the nation in all but name. I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for that kind of leap. I don't blame her if she was a bit scared.

The more I see of her, the more I understand why people like Ben Shapiro are so brokenly obsessed with her. She is the real deal.

If she runs for president I will do everything I can to help and if she wins I will have the best most peaceful sleep I've had in decades.

"Dee, that kid looks passed out!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TRUMP 2044 (?)

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

corn in the bible posted:

reddit has decided that the democrats clapping when trump talked about women proves that democrats got played by trump, but also proves that women are all stupid, inherently, and the reason democrats are bad is there are more women representing democrats

Thanks for the update on what idiots think.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
You: it was not okay that Nancy Pelosi was clapping for Donald Trump

Me, a cool guy who knows better: wow what a good opinion you have *claps 4 u*
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/1093018055771185152?s=21

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice