Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

"gently caress you ippo, go and risk severe brain damage because we want you to box again and be world champion."

Like a doctor told him he may be in the early stages of CTE. All the guys wanting him to box again just seem like the most selfish assholes in the world right now. I guess it could be in his head, but poo poo, the risk reward ratio here is skewed to the "stop boxing" side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol if Kumi gets painted as the bad guy for not wanting Ippo to get punched in the head any more

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"Turns out it wasn't CTE it's ALS, go nuts kid it won't matter either way in a few years."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
now that you're bald those punches will just harmlessly slide off your chrome dome, go get 'em kid

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ippo coming back to the ring, even if it's just 1 fight, kinda kills things for me. I really like the idea of learning to keep your passions going safely as a theme and him as a second was cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked how in the last chapter (before the most recent one) Ippo just directly said "are you fixated on me Miyata"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Man this is getting dumb in a hurry. He’s not punch drunk but he was in the early stages and decided to stop so he wouldn’t risk actually getting to that point.

Despite knowing that all his rear end in a top hat friends want him to box. Plus now you have Kumi being painted as the bad guy for rightfully stopping him. What kind’ve dumbass writing is that, what was the point of showing him having early symptoms, having him recognise it and hide it and then retire once he realised how severe it could get, only to say “nah, actually you can keep boxing, just be more courageous”.

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
there's also the problem with Ippo wearing weights on his arm and legs 24/7 and only taking them off for a match, throwing his balance and timing off...of course nobody at the gym ever thought of that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jello Robot posted:

there's also the problem with Ippo wearing weights on his arm and legs 24/7 and only taking them off for a match, throwing his balance and timing off...of course nobody at the gym ever thought of that

I'll never stop lol'ing at all the people who started wearing weights like this because of DBZ, operating under the bizarre assumption that their body will keep acclimating to higher and higher weights and that they can just keep doing that until they become super swole. Because, as we all know, fat people all acclimate to their higher weight and can move around just as easily as thin people. Like, in the absolute best case it's just an extremely inefficient form of weight training.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ippo takes of the weights, reacts in horror as his stupid training regime has destroyed his joints as well as his brain.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Asuron posted:

Man this is getting dumb in a hurry. He’s not punch drunk but he was in the early stages and decided to stop so he wouldn’t risk actually getting to that point.

Despite knowing that all his rear end in a top hat friends want him to box. Plus now you have Kumi being painted as the bad guy for rightfully stopping him. What kind’ve dumbass writing is that, what was the point of showing him having early symptoms, having him recognise it and hide it and then retire once he realised how severe it could get, only to say “nah, actually you can keep boxing, just be more courageous”.

Calling it now: Miyata is gonna find out Kumi is convincing Ippo he's punch drunk, will start harassing her to the point that Ippo agrees to a match just so he can beat the poo poo out of Miyata, during which Ippo will go monster again and realize that his punch drunkness disappears when he's willing to murder in the ring.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's a cold open to Ippo lying on a hospital bed. His eyes are closed, like he's sleeping, but there are all sorts of tubes connecting him to all sorts of monitors and an IV stand. He's surrounded by his friends and family. Kumi and Ippo's mum are openly crying. Takamura and Mashiba are standing behind everyone. Aoki, Kimura, Itagaki, Kamogawa, Yagi and Shinoda, as well as Ippo's two disciples are all trying, and some are failing, to hold back their tears.

Miyata walks in, and Takamura and Mashiba immediately stare daggers at him. Takamura, unlike his usual bombastic self is almost reserved, as he quietly tells Miyata he has a lot of nerve showing his face. Mashiba is far more blunt, and simply tells him to "gently caress off."

Miyata doesn't protest and simply walks out of the room, and sits down on a padded bench in the hallway. Also sitting on the bench and openly weeping is the last person Ippo had fought. He tells Miyata that he's hanging up his gloves and he admits that he still doesn't know how to live with himself after what has happened.

Mashiba shows tenderness towards Kumi for the first time, as he places his hand on her shoulder, as if to let her know that he's there for her. Ippo's mum turns to the doctor, who'd been there the entire time and quietly asks him to switch off the machines. The devices that had kept Ippo breathing stop and we see his heart rate monitor flatline.

The final panel is of Wanpo sitting at the entrance of Ippo's house, eagerly waiting for his best friend to come home.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 6, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Calling it now: Miyata is gonna find out Kumi is convincing Ippo he's punch drunk, will start harassing her to the point that Ippo agrees to a match just so he can beat the poo poo out of Miyata, during which Ippo will go monster again and realize that his punch drunkness disappears when he's willing to murder in the ring.

"Miyata do not email my wife!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

Itagaki outright said that he thinks Ippo was right for stopping even if he would like to see him in the ring more. All the Kamogawa Gym people think he was right to stop, and they are the one who are the most in the know about Ippo's condition.

I think some of you guys were missing what was being said in the chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

It's a cold open to Ippo lying on a hospital bed. His eyes are closed, like he's sleeping, but there are all sorts of tubes connecting him to all sorts of monitors and an IV stand. He's surrounded by his friends and family. Kumi and Ippo's mum are openly crying. Takamura and Mashiba are standing behind everyone. Aoki, Kimura, Itagaki, Kamogawa, Yagi and Shinoda, as well as Ippo's two disciples are all trying, and some are failing, to hold back their tears.

Miyata walks in, and Takamura and Mashiba immediately stare daggers at him. Takamura, unlike his usual bombastic self is almost reserved, as he quietly tells Miyata he has a lot of nerve showing his face. Mashiba is far more blunt, and simply tells him to "gently caress off."

Miyata doesn't protest and simply walks out of the room, and sits down on a padded bench in the hallway. Also sitting on the bench and openly weeping is the last person Ippo had fought. He tells Miyata that he's hanging up his gloves and he admits that he still doesn't know how to live with himself after what has happened.

Mashiba shows tenderness towards Kumi for the first time, as he places his hand on her shoulder, as if to let her know that he's there for her. Ippo's mum turns to the doctor, who'd been there the entire time and quietly asks him to switch off the machines. The devices that had kept Ippo breathing stop and we see his heart rate monitor flatline.

The final panel is of Wanpo sitting at the entrance of Ippo's house, eagerly waiting for his best friend to come home.

Probably better than what we're going to get.

Where's Sendo during this, tho

edit: Ohhh I know, have Sendo be the person who fought Ippo last. Miyata gets to live with knowing that he not only killed Ippo, but also caused another promising young boxer to end his career.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah, Ippo suffers but everyone else will probably pay for it in the narrative.

Someone has to die or be crippled in the ring or something- so Sendo or Takamura or someone who is a main, MAIN cast member will get killed or get their neck broke or get a detached retina or something. It has to happen.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

MonsterEnvy posted:

Itagaki outright said that he thinks Ippo was right for stopping even if he would like to see him in the ring more. All the Kamogawa Gym people think he was right to stop, and they are the one who are the most in the know about Ippo's condition.

Honestly, looking back at me writing that I think a return is inevitable, maybe I was missing the point. Ippo's retirement will always be bitter and painful but he's been resolute in it. He doesn't want to be like Hayami.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Look, we're in Rocky V territory now, take the lessons from Rocky Balboa. The only reason he returned to the Ring in 6 was he'd lost Adrian, He'd felt like he'd lost a lot of what had him content and happy, enough that he felt he could go. And even then the boxing commission didn't want to give him back his license, even after passing his tests! He had to persuade them and put himself emotionally on the line for it. And that was essentially for one match.

I'm not saying have Kumi die, but if Ippo's going to return to the ring, it would have to be because he's despairing and his life is going bad.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 6, 2019

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

What they’re saying is he was never actually diagnosed as being punch drunk. What they are implying is that Ippo is afraid to know the answer and that if he were more courageous he’d choose boxing because he doesn’t definitively know he has it.

They think he’s right to stop if he’s afraid, but they want him to keep boxing because despite showing the signs “he doesn’t know if he has it”. They respect his decision but don’t agree with it which is really, really dumb.

It’s why the author keeps putting Ippo near that line, to show how he’ll overcome his fear and doubts when he eventually crosses it, marking his grand return as a boxer who puts his all in despite the risk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Asuron posted:

What they’re saying is he was never actually diagnosed as being punch drunk. What they are implying is that Ippo is afraid to know the answer and that if he were more courageous he’d choose boxing because he doesn’t definitively know he has it.

They think he’s right to stop if he’s afraid, but they want him to keep boxing because despite showing the signs “he doesn’t know if he has it”. They respect his decision but don’t agree with it which is really, really dumb.

It’s why the author keeps putting Ippo near that line, to show how he’ll overcome his fear and doubts when he eventually crosses it, marking his grand return as a boxer who puts his all in despite the risk.

The thing is... I don't feel like it's believable for Ippo to be Date'ing it up. Date lost to Martinez and it was clear the loss, combined with his wife's loss, sent him into a depression spiral where he couldn't bring himself to fight, but deep in his heart, he was just pawing through life when in reality he wanted another shot. Ippo... I dunno, if the reveal is gonna be along the lines of "Ippo also wishes he was back in the ring, and he's only telling everyone he's happy." I just don't buy that. I can buy that he's sad to not be boxing, but unlike Date, he never had a major goal. he wanted to see how far he could go. And even he was saying, when he lost the second time "I don't think I could have won that fight."

Like, yes, obviously he's going to cross that line into being a monster, and I know this manga already has severe pacing issues. But all said I feel like if the Ippo of now is like "I MISS IT I GOTTA FIGHT AGAIN I WAS SCARED OF LOSING IT ALL!" Like... that's severely out of character. The reason Stallone decided to not have Adrian in Rocky Balboa was because he knew that, if Rocky still had the love of his life, he'd never even consider getting back in the ring, even if he could pass a physical.

The only want for this to work is if Kumi herself wants him to fight, like Date's wife did. And only if it was properly portrayed that this was destroying Ippo. If they try to shrew her, gently caress em.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ippo just needs to finally gently caress and he'll be over boxing or it'll cure his brain.

In reality ippo getting crippled in the ring is payback for all the other boxers he crippled

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

The thing is... I don't feel like it's believable for Ippo to be Date'ing it up. Date lost to Martinez and it was clear the loss, combined with his wife's loss, sent him into a depression spiral where he couldn't bring himself to fight, but deep in his heart, he was just pawing through life when in reality he wanted another shot. Ippo... I dunno, if the reveal is gonna be along the lines of "Ippo also wishes he was back in the ring, and he's only telling everyone he's happy." I just don't buy that. I can buy that he's sad to not be boxing, but unlike Date, he never had a major goal. he wanted to see how far he could go. And even he was saying, when he lost the second time "I don't think I could have won that fight."

Like, yes, obviously he's going to cross that line into being a monster, and I know this manga already has severe pacing issues. But all said I feel like if the Ippo of now is like "I MISS IT I GOTTA FIGHT AGAIN I WAS SCARED OF LOSING IT ALL!" Like... that's severely out of character. The reason Stallone decided to not have Adrian in Rocky Balboa was because he knew that, if Rocky still had the love of his life, he'd never even consider getting back in the ring, even if he could pass a physical.

The only want for this to work is if Kumi herself wants him to fight, like Date's wife did. And only if it was properly portrayed that this was destroying Ippo. If they try to shrew her, gently caress em.

I think what will really bother me is if Kumi is painted as the villain in all this, which is looking more and more like how the story will go.

It's also like you said, Ippo doesn't have a goal, he just wants to see how far he could go. Well he almost made it to the top of the world stage, so isn't that enough to satisfy that desire? If he goes back to box, he's doing it for other people not himself and realistically what motivation would you give him that doesn't rely on someone else's desire at this point.

I mean I know how it's going to go, but there were others ways to do this besides having the protag potentially being brain damaged. This isn't the manga for that, it's all about fighting spirit and self-belief, it's not AnJ where it makes sense why the character chooses to fight despite being punch drunk. It was just a stupid direction to go in and now there's no believable way to put Ippo back in the ring without making everyone around him look like complete idiots.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
what makes it a little weird is that its a sports manga and a shonen manga at the same time (i think im using the terms right here). it loves the shonen tropes of pushing beyond your limits etc. but the sports aspect of it makes it too real. it's literally depressing that for one reason or another a kid who is incredibly kind, fulfilled, hard working, nice and good is going to put himself in the line of being crippled for no discernable reason. at best he might fight martinez?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

come on morikawa

atleast have ippo fight god

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jose posted:

Ippo just needs to finally gently caress and he'll be over boxing or it'll cure his brain.
Like Baki he'll attain enlightenment and easily take the world title

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Ippo can't just gently caress anyone.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yeah they're gonna throw him in the ring one more time, but I sincerely hope they would not. The drat line in the ground has been around long enough that either he crosses it or its the thing he keeps visiting until it fades away like his interest in the ring.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1252/5671/1

Kumi's eyes did look a lot like her brothers.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Iga vs. Mashiba should be an interesting fight.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope Mashiba pummels him and everyone makes fun of Aoki for losing to him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1253#page=1

Only 13 pages this week.

My guess as to 2/3 weaknesses being that Mashiba is easy to provoke and prone to foul.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the three are just gonna be the three things we learned i think from the 3 difficult matches

fouls, bad at infight, and uh, not great at taking damage? or something?

i hope mashiba wins

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1254/5701/1

I almost would not be surprised if Iga was revealed to be a robot.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

okay so the lesson of this fight is going to be about how emotionless fighting can only take you so far and you need investment in order to truly succeed on the big stage. got it

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

tbp posted:

okay so the lesson of this fight is going to be about how emotionless fighting can only take you so far and you need investment in order to truly succeed on the big stage. got it

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1255#page=1

Well...

Despite Iga dying, it doesn't seem like the fight is over. Perhaps the lesson will be that you can't turn off your brain and let your coach control everything.

Or maybe it's the opposite. Iga couldn't fully turn his emotions off and messed up. Either way, I hope this wasn't a "all part of my calculations" moment since no game plan should involve your head bouncing off the ground.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 5, 2019

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Hypocrisy posted:

no game plan should involve your head bouncing off the ground.

Just remember what manga this is.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Mashiba's weakness is that he doesn't believe in the Samurai Spirit and that poo poo is so dire it counts as three weaknesses

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mashima tries not to get punched in the head, and that is bad if I understand this series

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when Ippo beat Mashiba he mashed his fist against Mashiba's elbow until it broke, so I imagine this guys game plan is to ram his face into Mashiba's fists until they break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm betting it's not gonna be part of the plan but it's gonna be something like "I can eat one big shot while figuring out his range and still get back up, I'm pretty sure kinda".

Also I think they're foreshadowing Mashiba going thru the motions when presented with a similar situation to another one he's already dealt with.