Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Million Ghosts posted:

so if i don't plan on staying somewhere long term, could i get away with just building a house, food/resource storage and a refinery/mine? i guess my question is are walls really worth it if somewhere will be little more than a mine outpost or rest stop

You're going to want walls just to stop wandering threats from ganking your workers while you're microing your explorers. I made a mining outpost for building materials/iron plates without even a house and it still got visits from bandits.

If you're there to watch the place full time and run when threats show up it can work, but sometimes you'll have scheduled events (prayer day, tax man, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wish you could buy like, chapel blueprints off of that guy or something. Build it, prayer days stop. I'm so tired of that dialog.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Million Ghosts posted:

so if i don't plan on staying somewhere long term, could i get away with just building a house, food/resource storage and a refinery/mine? i guess my question is are walls really worth it if somewhere will be little more than a mine outpost or rest stop
Yeah, I do that all the time, actually. If you only build storage containers, it doesn't even count as an outpost, so no taxes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Works out pretty well too. I've got the mod that doubles the size of storage containers. I'll happily set up somewhere without say, copper, now. I'll just fill a pack animal up with food, send my guys out to the copper and chill out for 15 mins or so. I'm fairly sure you can set up turrets too, as part of a camp.

A couple tents, bedrolls, torches and mounted crossbows feels like a proper camp without triggering a raid.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Reading this thread is interesting with how people play so differently from each other. I have 18 guys and a pack animal and when I leave my outpost everyone comes with. It's main purpose is mass producing food cubes so I can go out for extended combat/exploration patrols. That being said I still am glad I have walls there since if nothing else they'll stop wandering patrols from walking through your base all the time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I do that all the time, actually. If you only build storage containers, it doesn't even count as an outpost, so no taxes.

dogstile posted:

Works out pretty well too. I've got the mod that doubles the size of storage containers. I'll happily set up somewhere without say, copper, now. I'll just fill a pack animal up with food, send my guys out to the copper and chill out for 15 mins or so. I'm fairly sure you can set up turrets too, as part of a camp.

A couple tents, bedrolls, torches and mounted crossbows feels like a proper camp without triggering a raid.

this is what i was looking for. i don't plan on making a real base for a while, but a few spots on my more travelled routes for taking a nap seem like they'd be really handy. i've read that raids won't even trigger if your outposts are empty, is that true?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

i've read that raids won't even trigger if your outposts are empty, is that true?

I changed where I settled down at and so far nothing has happened to my old base.

I'm starting to feel the call of being a traveling caravan. Settling down feels so restrictive when you should be going out and exploring the land.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

My first outpost I tried leaving 2 people behind and the raids kept coming, but as long as I didn't load those zones they just waited outside the gates for weeks until I sent my main crew by to stock up on food. After that I didn't leave anybody there and the raids never came back. So yes, if it's empty it's safe, if there are people there they should be safe from normal raids as long as you don't go anywhere near them, but it's still dangerous because they could clip outside the walls, or if it's a dangerous area then the normal hostiles patrolling around could get in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If you have a small crew I'd honestly recommend just buying a house and setting up shop in a town. You can even generally auto mine to nearby nodes and run a full on crafting operation (for one specific thing) along with research with a single building.

That way you can leave your dude safely ensconced in a town with guards and not worry about bandits or whatever the gently caress coming around. I like Squin for this purpose since it's very safe with good shop access, centrally ish located and there's not a chance in hell that the local bandits will get through hundred guardians.

It's funny that if you set up a town somewhere nearby they will come by and take all your poo poo but if you just buy a building they will let you operate there for free in perpetuity.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1592466708

this mod lets you set up tiny smuggling bases, basically a small shack and some other stuff, that won't trigger raids. you're limited with what you can build, so it's not totally out of whack when it comes to balance. definitely a nice to have if you wanna stay mobile, but still have some hideouts for smaller crews to chill at while you do stuff and things.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it possible to mod in faction relations for starts? Would be kinda fun to set every faction's relation to minimum and play as the most wanted man alive.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

yea, it is. just copy a start, then in the first drop down menu at the top right hand side there's a option to set faction relations. negative values obviously being hate scale.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

jfood posted:

yea, it is. just copy a start, then in the first drop down menu at the top right hand side there's a option to set faction relations. negative values obviously being hate scale.

Cheers, probably gonna try that out. Do you know if you can change non-listed factions, such as Wolves, Drifters or Gutters? Gutterman would be a fun scenario.

Unrelated, why do Kral's Chosen dislike me for beating them up, I figured they'd be into that stuff.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

beak-things are their own discrete faction since they're nominal 'allies', or non-hostile at the least, with the hives. I think they're called 'gutters' in the same menu. dunno if they'll follow you around like other allies though, since that's usually a dialog reaction. wolves, spiders, old machines et al are all in there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Starting again, slave start, I'm trying to level up martial arts before escaping rebirth. God drat the holy guys are swole. Even after using assassination to steal their weapons and armor, then equipping said armor, they don't give a gently caress. They'll punch straight through that armor like it was nothing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you have a small crew I'd honestly recommend just buying a house and setting up shop in a town. You can even generally auto mine to nearby nodes and run a full on crafting operation (for one specific thing) along with research with a single building.

What are you crafting? Everything I've looked at had at least one step of the production chain require a building you can't place indoors.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That way you can leave your dude safely ensconced in a town with guards and

[quote="Nuclearmonkee" post="492315812"]

It's funny that if you set up a town somewhere nearby they will come by and take all your poo poo but if you just buy a building they will let you operate there for free in perpetuity.

What about raw material processing? I seem to recall I couldn’t place an iron refinery on a building roof in town when I tried.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What do you need to do to abandon an outpost? If I just leave it, are my tax collectors going to get furious and tank my rep? I built in the Great Desert and hate having two masters (trade guild and United cities) plus kind feel like just picking up shop.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Vain with 4x nests is absolutely nuts. Endless hordes of beak things that leave corpses that attracts more beak things that leave more corpses that attract more beak things until the ground is soaked red.

Really good toughness training and money if you can handle it though. I can only imagine how Gut is.

Edit: That's it, I'm going around.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 6, 2019

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

When I turned the nests and squad sizes to max it felt like I was playing a completely different game. The hills around Squin are now a constant battleground between escaped slaves, hungry bandits, dust bandits, garru and goats, and slavemongers. The slavemongers eventually aggro'd the Shek Kingdom and a massive battle was fought in the streets, shops, and homes until all of the slavemongers were dead. It is definitely making the process of leveling up much faster.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

What about raw material processing? I seem to recall I couldn’t place an iron refinery on a building roof in town when I tried.

I own all four longhouses in Squin. I've been able to fit a full barracks, every crafting station, and a modest hydroponics operation (6x hemp stations to produce fabrics, which is in short supply there). Just east of Squin is a spot with 3x iron nodes in close proximity. I have iron plate and steel refineries there, plus a building with wheat hydroponics and a grain silo. You can't place some buildings in town, but you can get damned near everything you need in the safety of the town.

I periodically have to send a squad out to mine or process iron plates and steel bars, but short periods of processing can fuel long periods of production.

Edit: Point is, a Y-House or decent sized building could easily fit all of the stations (aside from certain raw materials processing that can't go in cities) that you need to produce certain elements of any craft. If you aren't producing plate, chain, or robotics, and you don't need beds, you could probably manufacture weapons, crossbows, and leather in one spot.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 6, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just crafting my own poo poo I don't have an issue sustaining iron plates and steel from just cleaning out shops and keeping all of it I find on a pack animal until I stop by to empty my bags and rest.

For armor crafting especially it's easy since all you have to do is buy some cloth and steel whenever you can. Armor plate is made directly from raw ore at a plate beating station and does not require any buildings that must be placed outdoors. I can just buy out all the cloth and have somebody lugging bags of iron ore into my building from outside of town to make more armor plate. Leather of course doesn't really run out if you just craft up your hides.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My solution to armor plating has been to just rob the stores blind at every opportunity. Come to think of it, that's my solution to everything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Agreed, why go through making your own plates when the Holy Empire has all these materials laying around for the taking?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can build the majority of buildings inside, farming is harder and you can't run iron/stone refineries inside, but you can make armour plates if you have access to iron. The plate beating station will fit inside any building.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
don't you need to research it first, tho? and fir that you need a huge research bench

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
and how do you get your thievery skill high enough to rob stores without getting caught?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

and how do you get your thievery skill high enough to rob stores without getting caught?
This can be game ruining because it's so easy.

Go to a hidden corner of a large building, stealth, and steal an item off a table or shelf and drop it over and over. It always succeeds and gives skill ups. 5 mins of stealing the same mugs or whatever and you're suddenly a matter thief.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farecoal posted:

You apply your fist to the back of the heads of everyone in the building :getin:

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 6, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Farecoal posted:

This

Leal posted:

You apply your fist to the back of the heads of everyone in the building :getin:

or sometimes you just get caught and deal with it. Just keep the rest of your crew outside of town while you are stealing and run away if you get caught. Levelling thievery is trivial since you can just clean out all the shelves and tabletops with no fail chance and then go for a KO to level assassination so you can loot the rest of the place. Shopkeepers are usually pretty easy to KO and as an added bonus you get to steal their fancy bag.

Vasudus posted:

My solution to armor plating has been to just rob the stores blind at every opportunity. Come to think of it, that's my solution to everything.

If you're slamming out a lot of armor you will go through the local stock of iron/plates and steel/chain very quickly even if you are saving the random bits you steal with your adventuring crew. Mining iron from town is just an easy way to enable near infinite production of armor plates so you can make anything from the blacksmithing station or leather station in perpetuity while your guys are out without having to micro stuff.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2019

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Farecoal posted:

don't you need to research it first, tho? and fir that you need a huge research bench

Since no one answered this one, you can fit them in the bigger houses.

Arach sure has a lot of skin spiders. Cool zone.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Since no one answered this one, you can fit them in the bigger houses.

Arach sure has a lot of skin spiders. Cool zone.

That place is insane if you turn up the squad size.

Literally hundreds of them roaming everywhere. Built an encampment around one of the tower like structures on the rim and eventually gave up getting to the center when I burned through like 5 backpacks full of bolts and left until I can come back with a garru filled with stacks of reloads.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

One of the loading screen tips mentioned that mounted crossbows don't require any power and can be easily built out in the wilderness. They're not as sexy as sniper crossbows or harpoons but I'm sure they could do the job if you have enough of them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

One of the loading screen tips mentioned that mounted crossbows don't require any power and can be easily built out in the wilderness. They're not as sexy as sniper crossbows or harpoons but I'm sure they could do the job if you have enough of them.

I did actually install a couple mounted crossbows at my camp that I could rotate the wounded melee onto but my main xbow crew were still on their old world mk2s with a bag of regulars each. It wasn't enough.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

piL posted:

What do you need to do to abandon an outpost? If I just leave it, are my tax collectors going to get furious and tank my rep? I built in the Great Desert and hate having two masters (trade guild and United cities) plus kind feel like just picking up shop.

To abandon an outpost, you can either:

1. Disassemble every single thing.
or
2. Import your game and un-check the import buildings box.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BigRoman posted:

2. Import your game and un-check the import buildings box.
I don't recommend doing that too often, though. It makes the game a lot less satisfying if you regularly wipe out all traces of your influence on the world.

If you want to abandon an outpost, just walk away from it. The parts of the world you're not in are unloaded and treated as not really there by the factions

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Just wanted to re-emphasize how amazing the recruit prisoners mod is. Every starving bandit attack is an opportunity for new laborers. Those that don't convert are used in the fighting pits...

Now if someone could make a betting/colosseum mod my thunderdome dream could be realized. Winners get glory and freedom.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
So I really want to get into this game, but the past two or three times I've tried I run into a bug where I could not get into one or more houses. The door would be open and unlocked, but my character wouldn't go through the door. Saving and loading didn't work, and the only advice I've seen is to "save and import". Even the F12 buttons that are supposed to fix things said there was nothing to fix.

Is importing the only solution? It feels like someone saying "just start over again", but I don't know enough about the game yet to know if that's true (played maybe 4 hours so far).

Other than that, I'm kind of excited to sit down this weekend and put some actual time in. Wanna start as a solo wanderer, become Kenshiro, and then start building a posse to take out slavers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The slavery mod Paradise Falls is also very good. It gives your starting squad proper slaver AI - they will automatically disarm, pick up and imprison unconscious enemies. Incompatible with prisoner recruitment though, because they both modify prisoner dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HoboTech posted:

So I really want to get into this game, but the past two or three times I've tried I run into a bug where I could not get into one or more houses. The door would be open and unlocked, but my character wouldn't go through the door. Saving and loading didn't work, and the only advice I've seen is to "save and import". Even the F12 buttons that are supposed to fix things said there was nothing to fix.

Is importing the only solution? It feels like someone saying "just start over again", but I don't know enough about the game yet to know if that's true (played maybe 4 hours so far).

Other than that, I'm kind of excited to sit down this weekend and put some actual time in. Wanna start as a solo wanderer, become Kenshiro, and then start building a posse to take out slavers.

I run into this bug and sometimes holding ctrl shift and F11 will fix nav meshes. Often though when that start to happens, I don't know if its maybe a memory leak (I don't know how to computer) but when that starts to happen I save and restart the program. No need to import, just restart the program.