Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think I'm alone in not enjoying Lords of Silence all that much, it just felt a bit flat. I think it's actually me not liking the diverse stylistic choice somewhat. There isn't really a lot of tension because the characters themselves don't really seem to give that much of a poo poo. I mean they clearly do in terms of their actions but the narrative didn't really make the final confrontation between the plague lord and the traitor much more impactful than any other event.

I did kind of dig the existential horror aspect of the guard officer slowly being subsumed by chaos and turned into a zombie, viewing himself half from outside and knowing he should be horrified. But really the whole book just felt kind of, unimpactful? Not a slog to get through but not really enjoyable or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, once you get past the revulsion of being a mess of rot and mould Nurgle is the one god who's gifts actually consistently benefit his followers. No pain, no weariness, no stressing about duty, no daily concerns... just a gradual slide into the chill of accepting the inevitable and knowing that nothing can touch you anymore. Death Guard were perfect for it because they didn't care about glory, shiny armour and banners. They can finally accept their place as the unglamorous slogger they were literally bred to be.

True, it's a disgusting path and less enticing than the glory of war, promise of power or lure of sensation - but you know what you're getting. It shows how good that book is that you actually "get" why anyone would choose Nurgle.

'cus when your pretty flesh wastes away, your little pile of skulls rots to dust and all your books of knowledge are eaten by worms Nurgle will still be here as strong as ever :)

And they get cats. Disgusting, pestilent, pulsating cats, but... THEY GET CATS

Welp, this did way more to make me want to read Lords of Silence than anything BL has marketed it with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Azran posted:

Oh hey I missed that video for some reason. When I watched her video about fascist ideology and the way Disney merchandises the First Order/Stormtroopers in general I couldn't stop thinking about 40k, so good to know I'll relive that experience! :v:

One thing I liked about The Emperor's Gift and Hellsreach was the lengths it went to to make Space Marines relatable and at times flawed. What else is there in that style?

Night Lords gets this so well. They're the most relatable monsters in 40k.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Deptfordx posted:

Anybody heard anything about BL unfucking the audiobook pipeline?

My Audible credits are starting to mount up.

How is it hosed, exactly?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The Night Lords books really were quite amazing in how they got you to root for pathological murderers and all-around villains, and I mean this in the best way possible.

Then again, that says as much about human nature as anything else. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finished Anarch in one sitting, same as Warmaster.

Abnett actually wrote an ending this time. Goddamn that was a good read. It's amazing how you could come out of a story that loving bleak and depressing with something resembling optimism.

I think my favourite part was the introductory text involving Urdeshi interpretation of the God Emperor and then Olort explaining to Mkoll how the Sekkites also revere the Emperor through their own twisted view. THAT is a really cool view of a heretical cult and how it can convert members so rapidly. It's seductive in a way that embracing the Chaos Gods isn't. You're not really betraying the Emperor, you're just seeing him with enlightened eyes, rather than through imperial dogma.

Also, I'm betting Brostin is still alive. He wasn't confirmed dead, even with a building collapsing on him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How is it hosed, exactly?

The simultaneous release of books and their audio versions have dried up. There's no Audiobook for Titandeath, the HH series have had a same day release for years . The Anarch was advertised as having an MP3 release while in the 'Coming soon' section, but it hasn't come out yet. There's no second Dark Imperium book etc.

It's known they have had unspecified production delays, but as usual with BL they're horribly bad at communicating anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tangentially related to Black Library since it involved a customer picking up a book. I wish that the people I see who read Black Library or other franchise fiction books weren't such antisocial assholes. Guy came into the store today and picked up that one shot novella "Crusade". I asked him if he read a lot of black library stuff and he basically turned into a human porcupine as if my questions were alien and offensive to him. I don't care what people read, but if it's something I'm familiar with I'll try to strike up some small talk. It's always the people trolling through the science fiction section that get super defensive if I take a marginal interest in what they're reading.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s a “nerds who read nerdy franchise fiction are antisocial, news at 11” joke in there somewhere, but you bring up an interesting point. With BL stuff, it’s fiction that’s inherently tied to a social hobby - tabletop gaming. I don’t know what the overlap is between people who play the games and read the books, and I’m sure there are people who are into one or the other, but you’d think there’d be enough common ground for people who read the stuff to have basic social skills.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
gently caress me, I'm already halfway through Lords of Silence. What a captivating experience. Banks actually surprised the hell out of me since I had lowered my expectations vis-a-vis Longworth and Keeble.

The first incursion into Imperial space is amazing, but all of the really vivid setups and framing done of the Death Guard ships / Plague Planet, and the loving Terminus Est were already incredible before the action even started.

And the Nurglings. Jesus Christ, the loving Nurglings. They're the most :shobon: type of poo poo.

Also: audio books are going to be the end of me, it seems. The y-axis is hosed for some reason, but I'm two days of audible into February, and I'm already down five hours.

And Im driving up to the Netherlands and back later this month, so I'm gonna need, uh, 16 extra hours of audio books this month :psyduck:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm rereading blood pact because I couldn't remember if I had read it before moving on to the next

Now I remember why I couldn't remember :v:

Not a great book, hopefully the next is better

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

victrix posted:

I'm rereading blood pact because I couldn't remember if I had read it before moving on to the next

Now I remember why I couldn't remember :v:

Not a great book, hopefully the next is better

Blood Pact is a bit of a slow start for the Victory arc, given how it takes place mostly off of the frontline. While Abnett said that Victory is pretty much one long story, Blood Pact feels more like an extended breather after the hell from Only In Death, before things start to kick off and move into the main plot proper of The Victory.

Salvation's Reach is quite good, and Warmaster is great. Anarch was loving excellent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

I’m sure there are people who are into one or the other, but you’d think there’d be enough common ground for people who read the stuff to have basic social skills.
Not if you've spent enough time around a GW store you wouldn't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Not if you've spent enough time around a GW store you wouldn't.

I spend a lot of time in my local GW store and there’s a shitload of social people there, but my GW store is also exceptional so YMMV I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I forgot to add I've already read Night Lords! It was an amazing series.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

I spend a lot of time in my local GW store and there’s a shitload of social people there, but my GW store is also exceptional so YMMV I guess.

Around here the Warhams nerds are fighting a spirited but losing battle for the title of "most antisocial what the actual gently caress" with the CCG nerds, but our nerds are weirdly good at social interaction compared even to nerds up the north.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I always got my ham books online, but one time I went into a GW store to pick one up as I was heading off on holiday. I haven't played the tabletop for 25 years and just keep up with the fluff, really. I'm otherwise a relatively normal, functioning 40 yearold.

Jesus... the guy working in the store was trying to sell me everything, get me "back into the game" and excitedly telling me about how the next book in the HH series ('Descent of Angels') was amazing because it had "Space Marines on horses" (wtf?). There was a tournament coming up and I should totally buy a small army and come along and hey, we have all these Fantasy books if you want to expand into that, and... and...

Meanwhile a plump, awkward 30 yearold in a long leather trenchcoat blinked the sweat out of his eyes as he gazed lovingly at a painted toy soldier in a glass case and a glistening, oily teenager shuffled awkwardly clutching a box of elves. A bearded man who may have been an unemployed wizard sat behind the counter eating a beef pasty talking about mixing paints through his crumb filled beard to a serial killer with an overly-neat parting and a flame shirt clutching a carrier bag that may have contained either his sandwiches or his mother's severed head.

Outside the sun shone on families going about their lives. My wife asked if I got what I wanted.

On holiday, I realised the book was neither awesome nor contained space marines on horseback :(

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Most GWs I entered were like that until they got good recently. I remember being in a similar situation too you, hadn't played for ages but would pop in to pick up books and paints occasionally. The manager was trying to flog me some apocalypse expansion or something. I was pretty upfront and said I don't play and never liked apocalypse because it was just a dumb pain in the state and not fun. He really wanted to sell me that book and hey, there's a big all day event with a game format you specifically said you don't like and you should really play it will be great!

All the stores in Sydney seem to have new chill staff who are normal and don't try to push stuff down your throat. I can talk some poo poo with them like normal humans. The bloke who runs Melbourne GW is a super cool dude as well and jumped through a heap of hoops for me when I left some models in the store when I was visiting interstate and arranged for my friend to pick them up for me. We also discussed paints we like from other brands and Kings of War

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Night Lords gets this so well. They're the most relatable monsters in 40k.

Is it time for me to effortpost about the Night Lords Trilogy again? I suppose it is.
First Claw in the Night Lords trilogy are fuckups and losers, broken long ago by the conflict they refuse to stop waging. Their anger and bitterness is so relatable because they can't stop dwelling on how the Imperium, in their eyes, betrayed THEM. These Heretics, murderers, cruel bastards with power to a man, are petty jerks. If that's not relatable, I don't know what is.

And then comes the Book 3, where they get their hands on innocent, helpless victims for the first time, and you see just how monstrous they really are. These assholes, who you have spent two and a quarter novels rooting for, reveal the depths of their depravity and you are reminded they are not any more or less monstrous than they were at the start of Book 1.

It is tragedy in the Greek sense and I love it so much.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So is James Swallow any good? Thinking about buying the next book in the HH series when it drops in the end of February.

I guess we knew they were coming, but now it's on blacklibrary.com: The Solar War: The Siege of Terra Book 1. It's arriving in may, written by John French.

Miguel Prado fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 6, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Miguel Prado posted:

So is James Swallow any good? Thinking about buying the next book in the HH series when it drops in the end of February.

No

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

I guess we knew they were coming, but now it's on blacklibrary.com: The Solar War: The Siege of Terra Book 1. It's arriving in may, written by John French.

Wait, what...? So the actual most important part or the Horus Heresy isn't actually in the Horus Heresy series of books but is now in a new "Seige or Terra" series?

gently caress you, GW. Wake me up when Horus and the Emperor are throwing hands.

Not some random story about a band of misfits under the bridge of Horus' ship. Not some story about some perpetual talking to some scribe on a staircase outside the throne room. Not a 200 word "novella" about what's going through Malcador's head as he stirs his tea. Just give me Sanguinious holding the infinity gate while loving up a bloodthirster, Horus dropping the shields and those two finally getting to ruin eachother's poo poo.

I don't want to be 67 years old when I can say "I was there when Horus FINALLY slew the Emperor"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Is it time for me to effortpost about the Night Lords Trilogy again? I suppose it is.
First Claw in the Night Lords trilogy are fuckups and losers, broken long ago by the conflict they refuse to stop waging. Their anger and bitterness is so relatable because they can't stop dwelling on how the Imperium, in their eyes, betrayed THEM. These Heretics, murderers, cruel bastards with power to a man, are petty jerks. If that's not relatable, I don't know what is.

And then comes the Book 3, where they get their hands on innocent, helpless victims for the first time, and you see just how monstrous they really are. These assholes, who you have spent two and a quarter novels rooting for, reveal the depths of their depravity and you are reminded they are not any more or less monstrous than they were at the start of Book 1.

It is tragedy in the Greek sense and I love it so much.

One thing I would add in to your summary is that for most of the series, they're essentially forced into following a daemon possessing their leader, so there is some justification for the horrible poo poo they do. Its once they're free of the demon that you see that they aren't as bad as the daemonhost. They're worse.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

Wait, what...? So the actual most important part or the Horus Heresy isn't actually in the Horus Heresy series of books but is now in a new "Seige or Terra" series?

gently caress you, GW. Wake me up when Horus and the Emperor are throwing hands.

Not some random story about a band of misfits under the bridge of Horus' ship. Not some story about some perpetual talking to some scribe on a staircase outside the throne room. Not a 200 word "novella" about what's going through Malcador's head as he stirs his tea. Just give me Sanguinious holding the infinity gate while loving up a bloodthirster, Horus dropping the shields and those two finally getting to ruin eachother's poo poo.

I don't want to be 67 years old when I can say "I was there when Horus FINALLY slew the Emperor"

They've said the Siege of Terra will only be 8 books with I think one coming out every two or three months? So you'll probably see the Emperor and Horus finally dusting up in 2020 sometime.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tangentially related to Black Library since it involved a customer picking up a book. I wish that the people I see who read Black Library or other franchise fiction books weren't such antisocial assholes. Guy came into the store today and picked up that one shot novella "Crusade". I asked him if he read a lot of black library stuff and he basically turned into a human porcupine as if my questions were alien and offensive to him. I don't care what people read, but if it's something I'm familiar with I'll try to strike up some small talk. It's always the people trolling through the science fiction section that get super defensive if I take a marginal interest in what they're reading.

Straight up, if I was at a book store buying a BL novel and someone walked up to me and asked if I was into 40K I'd probably make my excuses and leave quietly.

Sure, there are nice people into this hobby, but there are also a lot of weirdos.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dog_Meat posted:

Well, it's not like we don't know how it ends already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cessna posted:

Straight up, if I was at a book store buying a BL novel and someone walked up to me and asked if I was into 40K I'd probably make my excuses and leave quietly.

Sure, there are nice people into this hobby, but there are also a lot of weirdos.

It’s a well known fact that Ted Bundy had a Grey Knights army and was an avid reader of 40k fiction.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xenomrph posted:

It’s a well known fact that Ted Bundy had a Grey Knights army and was an avid reader of 40k fiction.

I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Iron Rose posted:

I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not

I’m joking, just poking fun at the idea that someone in a book store striking up conversation about mutual reading interests might actually be trying to lure you into their unmarked white van so they can lock you away in their rape-dungeon or something.

Like yeah Barnes & Noble isn’t a nightclub, but it’s not a monastery or library either.

Also full disclosure I half-assed my research on Ted Bundy before using him for the joke. Bundy was executed in 1989, I don’t know if Grey Knights existed as an army or if 40k books were a thing at that point. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 6, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’m joking, just poking fun at the idea that someone in a book store striking up conversation about mutual reading interests might actually be trying to lure you into their unmarked white van so they can lock you away in their rape-dungeon or something.

Like yeah Barnes & Noble isn’t a nightclub, but it’s not a monastery or library either.

Also full disclosure I half-assed my research on Ted Bundy before using him for the joke. Bundy was executed in 1989, I don’t know if Grey Knights existed as an army or if 40k books were a thing at that point. :v:

There was just a documentary on Bundy from Netflix, so your timing was pretty good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I asked was if he'd read the new Abnett book yet. If someone is buying a 40k novel I already have a good idea of where their interests lie, so being a bookstore, I tried to keep the small talk limited to black library.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I asked was if he'd read the new Abnett book yet. If someone is buying a 40k novel I already have a good idea of where their interests lie, so being a bookstore, I tried to keep the small talk limited to black library.

people are probably embarrassed when other people know that they're reading warhammer books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hopterque posted:

people are probably embarrassed when other people know that they're reading warhammer books.

Well then consider me glad that I stopped giving a poo poo what other people thought of the books I read.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Salvations reach is starting with some really annoying plot threads, I need to get off this ship and into the action soon

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Striking up a conversation with someone of similar interests to you is a good thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

I dunno, but reading about the poo poo that we don't know about that is surrounding the Horus Heresy is part of the reason why I got into this series to begin with.

I've enjoyed the stories and novellas about the characters and events on the peripheral that lead up to the money shot.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Is Titandeath good? Mass titan combat sounds cool but I'm suspicious about Guy Haley.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

Is Titandeath good? Mass titan combat sounds cool but I'm suspicious about Guy Haley.

It's pretty good. It's not subtle or full of mindblowing revelations but it's good giant robot porn delivered written competently.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Ashes of Prospero is fairly underwhelming. Has some amusing bits to it like the "friendly fire" incident and Leman Russ being a notorious "kill-stealer". But aside from those and like one or two other bits, doesn't really feel like it did the premise justice. The battles felt generic and most of the space wolf faces were done better. Especially Lukas, who does more shrugging at suggestions than live up to his titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

a lovely king posted:

They've said the Siege of Terra will only be 8 books with I think one coming out every two or three months? So you'll probably see the Emperor and Horus finally dusting up in 2020 sometime.

That is just the Siege of Terra, the boarding of the flagship is another 5, the actual fight 1 and the aftermath 10.