Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Martian posted:

We literally do 'such a thing' in Europe

Eh, not really. Hate speech laws haven't turned European countries into dystopias or anything like that, but they do get abused fairly often and seem to have had limited effect in stopping the spread of bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Welp.

https://twitter.com/postlocal/status/1092877542967660544?s=21

Seems like this is getting earlier and earlier every year.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FoolyCharged posted:

The cops did a pretty good job of telling them to gently caress off this time.

Meanwhile, in Califonia, the cops and the FBI decided to protect Neo-Nazis who, among other things, stabbed someone, and instead investigate and charge the counterprotestors, including the person who was stabbed, while cooperating with the Neo-Nazis and reassuring them that they wouldn't be charged. So, you know, I think it's pretty fair to not trust the cops to help in these situations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Silver2195 posted:

Eh, not really. Hate speech laws haven't turned European countries into dystopias or anything like that, but they do get abused fairly often and seem to have had limited effect in stopping the spread of bigotry.

Where is stormfront hosted?

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Roland Jones posted:

Meanwhile, in Califonia, the cops and the FBI decided to protect Neo-Nazis who, among other things, stabbed someone, and instead investigate and charge the counterprotestors, including the person who was stabbed, while cooperating with the Neo-Nazis and reassuring them that they wouldn't be charged. So, you know, I think it's pretty fair to not trust the cops to help in these situations.

Nah dude its both sides. Arming up to protect protesters from cops and nazis is the same as being a violent racist.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Where is stormfront hosted?

Russia.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I really can't imagine why Dead Reckoning, a person who just loves when black people (kids and adults) get shot and who repeatedly defended the actions of their killers every time a thread about it came up, doesn't like the idea of curbing hate-speech.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

FoolyCharged posted:

The article literally has a picture of a banner reading death to the kkk. It describes the dudes with guns as "left wing militia". They are literally wearing masks and burning effigies. That's a crowd working itself up to go after "the other guy" and it wouldn't have taken much for stuff to get ugly.

The nazis in question had already had their permit declined and canned their rally when people the knew in the police said they'd get arrested if they showed up. So yeah, can't even call it an effective deterrent because the law already was one.

FoolyCharged posted:

The cops did a pretty good job of telling them to gently caress off this time.

This implication that Nazi sympathetic police officers were communicating behind the scenes with the KKK doesn't quit read the way you want it to.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Helsing posted:

This implication that Nazi sympathetic police officers were communicating behind the scenes with the KKK doesn't quit read the way you want it to.

Yes, ones with the remarkable power to.. tell the guy publicly declaring he'll ignore the law that he'll get arrested if he does that. They have truly infiltrated our systems and possess power unlimited.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ummel posted:

I'm curious if they think a rifle is a good countermeasure for car ramming. I'm not sure armed guards flanking the march would have saved anyone.

I'd like to point out in that particular case, the attacker drove away and escaped after the attack, which strongly implies he valued his life and freedom. If he'd gotten out of the car afterwards with a knife and fought until his death I might agree with you, but it seems pretty clear to me some immediate deterrent such as a bunch of bullets in the face might have brought him to a different decision.

e: to be a little more clear, I agree armed guards are not that effective in deterring suicidal attackers but this wasn't that

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 6, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I really can't imagine why Dead Reckoning, a person who just loves when black people (kids and adults) get shot and who repeatedly defended the actions of their killers every time a thread about it came up

Ah the one situation where he sees no slippery slope nor potential for abuse in unlimited unaccountable government power

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
'won't someone think of the poor nazis'

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Martian posted:

We literally do 'such a thing' in Europe

yes and you throw people in jail for teaching their dog stupid tricks. its not compatible with human rights or free expression.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But Mr Eisenhower, sir, what about the Nazis' right of free expression

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Your Parents posted:

yes and you throw people in jail for teaching their dog stupid tricks. its not compatible with human rights or free expression.

I had to look up what you were talking about, apparently some rear end in a top hat youtuber in Scotland trained his dog to respond to the phrase 'gas the jews' by raising its paw in a Sieg Heil-gesture. He then, of course, claimed that it was 'ironic' and 'only to annoy his girlfriend'.

There are a ton of sensationalistic articles that claim he 'faces up to a year in prison', but in reality he wasn't jailed but fined 800 pounds.

quote:

Airdrie Sheriff Court heard the footage violated laws against grossly offensive material and “contained menacing, anti-Semitic and racist material”.

Sheriff Derek O'Carroll said Meechan’s video was grossly offensive and that his girlfriend did not even subscribe to the video channel he posted it on.

"The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase 'gas the Jews' over and over again as a command to a dog, which then reacts,” he told the defendant.

"You use the command 'sieg heil', having trained the dog to raise its paw in response and the video shows a clip of a Nuremberg rally and a flashing image of Hitler with strident music.

[...]

"You deliberately chose the Holocaust as the theme of the video,” he told the court.

"You purposely used the command 'gas the Jews' as the centrepiece of what you called the entire joke, surrounding the 'gas the Jews' centrepiece with Nazi imagery and the ‘seig heil’ command so there could be no doubt what historical events you were referring to."

Sheriff O'Carroll said the right to freedom of expression was very important but "in all modern democratic countries the law necessarily places some limits on that right".

Funny that you feel the need to defend this piece of poo poo in 2019, after we have seen what allowing 'ironic' not really online fascism leads to in the USA, with what happened in Charlottesville as the most obvious example. And you even claim that it is incompatible with human rights, as opposed to allowing people to enthousiastically express the wish to gas all Jews which is totally compatible with human rights apparently. I'll take hate speech laws over that, thanks.

I'd post that paradox of tolerance comic here, but you can google it yourself.

Martian fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 6, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Martian posted:

I had to look up what you were talking about, apparently some rear end in a top hat youtuber in Scotland trained his dog to respond to the phrase 'gas the jews' by raising its paw in a Sieg Heil-gesture. He then, of course, claimed that it was 'ironic' and 'only to annoy his girlfriend'.

Yeah, that bolded part, that's the part he's in the poo poo for. Anyone trying to claim "for teaching his dog a trick", "for telling a joke" or even "because his dog does a nazi salute" is full of poo poo. He's in the poo poo because he said "gas the jews", repeatedly, and wouldn't apologise or back down.

But anyway, imagine defending this guy. https://twitter.com/countdankulatv/status/990990230026117121

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 6, 2019

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Uh-oh :(

https://twitter.com/repdebdingell/status/1093155099873034240?s=21

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Goddamn it. Not John.

May flights of sick burns and good governance guide you, sir.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Virginia is goin' fine.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1093192309188055040

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I’ve got a great idea - why don’t we just decide that blackface is perfectly OK? Ya gotta hand it to me, that’s a good solution!

EDIT: I have been informed that under no circumstances do you “gotta hand it to me.”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes, ones with the remarkable power to.. tell the guy publicly declaring he'll ignore the law that he'll get arrested if he does that. They have truly infiltrated our systems and possess power unlimited.

FBI warned of white supremacists in law enforcement 10 years ago. Has anything changed?

PBS posted:

In the 2006 bulletin, the FBI detailed the threat of white nationalists and skinheads infiltrating police in order to disrupt investigations against fellow members and recruit other supremacists. The bulletin was released during a period of scandal for many law enforcement agencies throughout the country, including a neo-Nazi gang formed by members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department who harassed black and Latino communities. Similar investigations revealed officers and entire agencies with hate group ties in Illinois, Ohio and Texas.

Much of the bulletin has been redacted, but in it, the FBI identified white supremacists in law enforcement as a concern, because of their access to both “restricted areas vulnerable to sabotage” and elected officials or people who could be seen as “potential targets for violence.” The memo also warned of “ghost skins,” hate group members who don’t overtly display their beliefs in order to “blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.”

“At least one white supremacist group has reportedly encouraged ghost skins to seek positions in law enforcement for the capability of alerting skinhead crews of pending investigative action against them,” the report read.

Problems with white supremacists in law enforcement have surfaced since that report. In 2014, two Florida officers — including a deputy police chief — were fired after an FBI informant outed them as members of the Ku Klux Klan. It marked the second time within five years that the agency uncovered an officer’s membership in the KKK. Several agencies nationwide have also launched investigations into personnel who may not be formal hate group members, but face allegations of race-based misconduct.

Social media has made it easier to expose white supremacists who serve in law enforcement. In September 2015, a North Carolina police officer was fired after a picture of him giving a Nazi salute surfaced on Facebook. And as recently as August, the Philadelphia Police Department launched an internal investigation after attendees of a Black Lives Matter rally outside the Democratic National Convention spotted an officer in charge of crowd control with a tattoo of the Nazi Party emblem on his forearm and posted the image on Instagram.

“Many people in these communities of color feel they have been the subject of police violence for decades,” said Samuel Jones, professor of law at the John Marshall School of Law in Chicago. “And when an officer engages in conduct that adds or enhances that divide, they are ultimately jeopardizing the integrity of their agencies and putting their fellow officers in danger.”

Even the FBI Thinks Police Have Links to White Supremacists — but Don’t Tell the New York Times

The Intercept posted:

THE TIMES PIECE has a passage on a joint 2009 assessment by DHS and the FBI, which warned of the growing white supremacist threat. The assessment caused outrage among adherents of the growing right-wing political movement known as the tea party, as well as conservatives in general; among other complaints, they took umbrage at the report’s claim that veterans were at high risk of right-wing radicalization. Then-DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano bowed to the pressure, disavowed the document, and apologized to veterans. But as the report’s lead researcher, Daryl Johnson, told Speri last year, “Federal law enforcement agencies in general — the FBI, the Marshals, the [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives] — are aware that extremists have infiltrated state and local law enforcement agencies and that there are people in law enforcement agencies that may be sympathetic to these groups.”

The least we might expect from the Times story — which, according to the author, took over a year to report — would be for it to include federal agencies’ own admissions of white supremacist infiltration in policing. A true reckoning with law enforcement’s role in American white supremacy would address the dark and unfinished history of policing as a racist institution, from its birth in the slave patrols of the 18th century, to its historic presence in the KKK, to the innumerable instances of racism by the police and the continued threat policing poses to black life.

As if to provide an example of how to do it, the day before the Times Magazine story went live, the Washington Post published an article that detailed the systemic racism and misconduct of the police department in Little Rock, Arkansas, including the hiring of an officer who had attended a KKK meeting and went on to shoot dead a 15-year-old black child in 2012. The story of this officer, the Post’s Radley Balko wrote, “isn’t one of a rogue, aberrant cop so much as a glimpse into the police culture of Arkansas’s largest city.”

Reitman’s Times piece mentions that police have shown a tendency to target Black Lives Matter protesters above neo-Nazis, but declines to mention that Black Lives Matter — the central anti-racist movement of our time — is a movement against racist police brutality. Reitman’s piece reads as if the message of Black Lives Matter — that white supremacy undergirds U.S. policing — has fallen on deaf ears.

Meanwhile, Reitman did manage to include a comment from Nate Snyder, a counterterrorism adviser to the Obama administration, recalling local police officers asking for help fighting neo-Nazi skinheads. “They’d be like, ‘Thanks for that stuff on Al Qaeda, but what I really need to know is how to handle the Hammerskin population in my jurisdiction,’” Snyder said. This no doubt took place, but to include this information and leave out explicit police involvement with neo-Nazis and their racist fellow travelers paints a misleading picture of generally well-intentioned local cops, stymied by Washington’s priorities.

The FBI has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement

The Intercept posted:

N 2009, SHORTLY after the election of Barack Obama, a Department of Homeland Security intelligence study, written in coordination with the FBI, warned of the “resurgence” of right-wing extremism. “Right-wing extremists have capitalized on the election of the first African-American president, and are focusing their efforts to recruit new members, mobilize existing supporters, and broaden their scope and appeal through propaganda,” the report noted, singling out “disgruntled military veterans” as likely targets of recruitment. “Right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat.”

The report concluded that “lone wolves and small terrorist cells embracing violent right-wing extremist ideology are the most dangerous domestic terrorism threat in the United States.” Released just ahead of nationwide Tea Party protests, the report caused an uproar among conservatives, who were particularly angered by the suggestion that veterans might be implicated, and by the broad brush with which the report seemed to paint a range of right-wing groups.

Faced with mounting criticism, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano disavowed the document and apologized to veterans. The agency’s unit investigating right-wing extremism was largely dismantled and the report’s lead investigator was pushed out. “They stopped doing intel on that, and that was that,” Heidi Beirich, who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center’s tracking of extremist groups, told The Intercept. “The FBI in theory investigates right-wing terrorism and right-wing extremism, but they have limited resources. The loss of that unit was a loss for a lot of people who did this kind of work.”

“Federal law enforcement agencies in general — the FBI, the Marshals, the ATF — are aware that extremists have infiltrated state and local law enforcement agencies and that there are people in law enforcement agencies that may be sympathetic to these groups,” said Daryl Johnson, who was the lead researcher on the DHS report. Johnson, who now runs DT Analytics, a consulting firm that analyzes domestic extremism, says the problem has since gotten “a lot more troublesome.”

Johnson singled out the Oath Keepers and the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association for their anti-government attitudes and efforts to recruit active as well as retired law enforcement officers. “That’s the biggest issue and it’s greater now than it’s ever been, in my opinion.” Johnson added that Homeland Security has given up tracking right-wing domestic extremists. “It’s only the FBI now,” he said, adding that local police departments don’t seem to be doing anything to address the problem. “There’s not even any training now to make state and local police aware of these groups and how they could infiltrate their ranks.”

A spokesperson for DHS declined to comment on the 2009 report or on the agency’s specific concerns about white supremacist and right-wing groups.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Martian posted:

There are a ton of sensationalistic articles that claim he 'faces up to a year in prison', but in reality he wasn't jailed but fined 800 pounds.

Funny that you feel the need to defend this piece of poo poo in 2019, after we have seen what allowing 'ironic' not really online fascism leads to in the USA, with what happened in Charlottesville as the most obvious example. And you even claim that it is incompatible with human rights, as opposed to allowing people to enthousiastically express the wish to gas all Jews which is totally compatible with human rights apparently. I'll take hate speech laws over that, thanks.

I'd post that paradox of tolerance comic here, but you can google it yourself.
Who, then, do you trust to decide which jokes are funny and which jokes are criminal? Without robust protection for free speech, what would have prevented a Republican congress and the Trump DoJ from deciding that "gently caress the police" is hate speech and BLM is a prohibited movement?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who, then, do you trust to decide which jokes are funny and which jokes are criminal? Without robust protection for free speech, what would have prevented a Republican congress and the Trump DoJ from deciding that "gently caress the police" is hate speech and BLM is a prohibited movement?

You're basically right about this, even though you're obviously pointing it out for bad-faith reasons.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who, then, do you trust to decide which kind of deaths are murder? Without robust protection for murders, what would have prevented a Republican congress and the Trump DoJ deciding that "being dead inside" is murder and everyone feeling existential dread is prohibited?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dead Reckoning posted:

When millions of police, who were born police, and have no choice but to be police because their parents were police and their parents before them were police have been rounded up and put in gently caress chambers and buried in unmarked graves we can revisit that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nothing prevents that now, cops murder black people with no accountability or repercussions.

As for BLM they don't have first amendment rights as far as the FBI is concerned https://theintercept.com/2018/03/19/black-lives-matter-fbi-surveillance/

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think that, because one group de facto doesn't enjoy the full protection of the law at all times, we should strip legal protection from everyone. It's an indication that we should be defending those protections with greater strength.

HootTheOwl posted:

Who, then, do you trust to decide which kind of deaths are murder? Without robust protection for murders, what would have prevented a Republican congress and the Trump DoJ deciding that "being dead inside" is murder and everyone feeling existential dread is prohibited?
I hope you can see that "can we truly say whether a person has died?" is a specious comparison to, "It's OK to prohibit speech, but only speech I subjectively find offensive."

Relentless posted:

When millions of police, who were born police, and have no choice but to be police because their parents were police and their parents before them were police have been rounded up and put in gently caress chambers and buried in unmarked graves we can revisit that.
I'm having trouble understanding this, are you saying that Jews have no choice but to be Jews, or that hate speech should only apply to groups characterized by immutable, inherited traits, or...?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 6, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Only since Charlottesville, and then only because the ISP decided it would be bad business to keep associating with them, not because of US law.

Your Parents posted:

Other than "what the gently caress is wrong with you for defending a dude who kept going on about genociding jews", anti-hate-speech laws exist in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Brasil, Chile and a host of other countries. The US is very much an odd nation out with its fervent need to defend the "free speech rights" of nazis.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope you can see that "can we truly say whether a person has died?" is a specious comparison to, "It's OK to prohibit speech, but only speech I subjectively find offensive."

I hope you can see that "can we truly say whether speech is hateful?" is a specious comparison to, "It's OK to prohibit killings, but only killings I subjectively find offensive."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If countries with these laws inevitably become authoritarian hellscapes, you should be able to find a better example of the terrible injustice of it all than the guy who was fined when he wouldn't back down about his supposed right to say "gas the jews" whenever he likes as long as his dog does a trick afterwards.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

If countries with these laws inevitably become authoritarian hellscapes, you should be able to find a better example of the terrible injustice of it all than the guy who was fined when he wouldn't back down about his supposed right to say "gas the jews" whenever he likes as long as his dog does a trick afterwards.

It’s almost like these people fully understand how they can try to weaponize free speech laws.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

HootTheOwl posted:

I hope you can see that "can we truly say whether speech is hateful?" is a specious comparison to, "It's OK to prohibit killings, but only killings I subjectively find offensive."

People love murder when cops and soldiers do it and hate it when I post about how people should kill politicians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think that, because one group de facto doesn't enjoy the full protection of the law at all times, we should strip legal protection from everyone. It's an indication that we should be defending those protections with greater strength.

The people you want to protect are the ones stripping protection from the other groups you claim to want to protect

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you don't believe in legislation against slander, libel, fighting words, incitement, obscenity, etc?

Or are you under the impression that there's no subjective element in determining what speech falls in these categories?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

So you don't believe in legislation against slander, libel, fighting words, incitement, obscenity, etc?

Or are you under the impression that there's no subjective element in determining what speech falls in these categories?

All of those are defined pretty narrowly in the US context (to the point where "fighting words" in particular doesn't meaningfully exist as a First Amendment exception anymore), so I'm not sure that's much of a gotcha.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

All of those are defined pretty narrowly in the US context (to the point where "fighting words" in particular doesn't meaningfully exist as a First Amendment exception anymore), so I'm not sure that's much of a gotcha.

Narrowly ≠ non-subjective

You could define hate speech as narrowly as you want so this isn't much of an objection

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Imagine if we didn't have any laws against assault, just a police force that arbitrarily assassinated black people and only black people for assault even if they were acting in self-defense.

"We should make laws against assault because black people are getting beaten up."
"But then black people might get arrested for assault even when they were just defending themselves!"
"They get executed for that now, at least a law would sometimes protect them from attackers"
"That's even more reason not to make it illegal to assault anyone!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I really can't imagine why Dead Reckoning, a person who just loves when black people (kids and adults) get shot and who repeatedly defended the actions of their killers every time a thread about it came up, doesn't like the idea of curbing hate-speech.

Love to spend Black History Month reading notoriously low-key but high key racist Dead Reckonings posts defending the free speech of literal Nazis

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Koalas March posted:

Love to spend Black History Month reading notoriously low-key but high key racist Dead Reckonings posts defending the free speech of literal Nazis

To quote some rear end in a top hat:
"Check out rap sheet and past!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hate speech is hilariously easy to define. I'm not a big city lawyer, but "speech intended to intimidate, defame, denigrate, or incite violence against a protected class" is a piss easy place to start. It's like saying we'll never have words to describe a smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You could write a perfectly objective narrow law like "it is unlawful to say the words 'kill the Jews'" but I bet he'd still have a problem with it, the subjectivity isn't the issue.

Also ya know his insistence that a cop's subjective determination that a black child needs to die by extrajudicial execution cannot be questioned.