Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sydin posted:

:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

If you talk to people (especially Nora/Lee) during some of those quests, especially the Dee-Dee Transport ones, the complain endlessly about the mayor adopting this technology. This comes up even more in the Ack questline too.

I'm only half way through the story (just finished the bridge to the desert) so I don't know if it comes up more.

So far it seems like there is definitely conflict there, but I'm glad I never have to pick a side (because then the church folk could get hosed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mordiceius posted:

If you talk to people (especially Nora/Lee) during some of those quests, especially the Dee-Dee Transport ones, the complain endlessly about the mayor adopting this technology. This comes up even more in the Ack questline too.

Ah, there you go. I only talked to them after I threw all the new stuff up, so I guess I didn't get to see that dialogue. Fair enough.

Rynoto posted:

The church isn't necessarily anti-research and technology - they're just afraid of the weapons that led to the annihilation of the former society. The entire reason they want your discs is to try and make sure no one ever rediscovers the technology required to build automatons and their weapons. It's why they're totally chill with you using the found research to build things and make people's lives better but also super wary when you start using the tech for fighting.

I find it funny that they apparently have the omniscience to know I fired my gun off a few times in the sewer dungeon and write me a mean letter, but are apparently unaware I've been pumping more guns out to gift to Sam. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's also funny because Higgins is a church-goer. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's also funny because Higgins is a church-goer. :v:

Probably the most realistic aspect of his character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And you can marry Nora. Wonder how that's supposed to work...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cythereal posted:

She hums to herself while fertilizing the crops, pretending she can't see you across the yard cranking out guns and ammo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Her favorite gift is a bikini. :thunk:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sydin posted:

She hums to herself while fertilizing the crops, pretending she can't see you across the yard cranking out guns and ammo.

This would get even more hilarious after (late-game building spoilers) you put the drat Factory on your farm. Hell yeah, fully-robotic automated crafting! Wait where are you going, Nora?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of gifting, are there any universal or near-universal liked gifts I can crank out to start befriending most of the populace Stardew-style?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Roses. Everyone except Ginger and the animals love them. They're a limited buy item though.

The gems are pretty universal too but can be a challenge to amass.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bouquet of roses are universally liked, and Alice sells 1 each day. I stock up the weeks leading up to a holiday so I can give lots of townspeople flowers and get that sweet multiplier.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Awesome, thanks. I'll start remembering to stockpile. I assume they're not something you can grow?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sydin posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'll start remembering to stockpile. I assume they're not something you can grow?

Negatory. Topaz are the closest to a mass-obtainable semi-universal like, giving +4 to basically everyone (+6 to Martha, +1 to Ginger).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

Her favorite gift is a bikini. :thunk:

Nah, wiki says the bikini is only with 12 points. For 25 there's the Waiting Girl Music Box and for 20 the Goddess Statue.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tooled around with this a long time ago during early access, but decided to reboot for a new game with the release version out. Hopefully this time the wedding cutscene has sound, it was a bit eerie months ago when I got married and it was just completely silent while Nora played the piano and all. I just love all the little QoL stuff that's sprinkled throughout the game, and the new holidays are pretty neat too.

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like this may be overstated, I recall talking to Lee and Nora during the Dee-Dee questline and their attitude seems to be "well we're cautious but these aren't weapons so I guess it's okay". I can't remember if that was before or after I installed them though.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

There are places where Lee and Nora end up disagreeing, where Nora says, "Tech can be good for our lives, we just have to watch out for it being weaponized and stop that" and Lee says, "Any tech can turn out to be a weapon, remember the dancing robot, we're all doomed if we don't destroy all tech" so I think Lee is just way more of a fanatic on the issue than most church-goers or even necessarily other preachers.

But yeah, you'd think he'd get pissy over all your building, but apparently if you're not directly building and using rifles, it's okay

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
becoming increasingly convinced springs are a town-wide troll on the new builder

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think so

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For people who like this game as well as survival games go check out the devs previous game, planet explorers. It has similar chill-out tone with neat features (there's an ingame CAD system which lets you make armor and weapons, vehicles, guns, decorations, robots and turrets, etc.; and there's a fleshed-out NPC system for making colonies).

Can't link because I'm phonesposting from bed, but it's on steam.

I've spent an absurd amount of time on it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 7, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can't find springs? Hazardous Ruins in the Collapsed wasteland has enemies that drop them and you can find them in Abandoned Ruins 2.

edit: I got Planet Explorers years ago and it was really bad.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Zesty posted:

edit: I got Planet Explorers years ago and it was really bad.

It's not the best game ever. I work with CAD software at work so that's probably why I enjoyed it. The CAD implementation in the game is a bit rudimentary, hard to use and the way the design geometries translate into stats is somewhat gamey, but it's nuch more capable than any other similar in-game editor I know.

As a survival game it's a bit meh I admit. More action adventure than survival anyway, as actually surviving is trivial.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 7, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Too bad Mali isn't date able, she's a badass. She would have made a great Akuma type boss in the martial arts tournament.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Verviticus posted:

becoming increasingly convinced springs are a town-wide troll on the new builder

i don't know how someone would have issues with getting them when certain enemies in the early dungeons are basically just outright guaranteed to drop at least one

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah it's not like early-ish beta where you were pretty much forced to spec into extra drops. Dungeons are packed with loot now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I expected the Dee Dee requests to be a grind but I got all the small engines I needed in a couple dungeon runs. Was a pleasant surprise.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very simple to duck into early dungeoncrawling content with the most basic gear more or less. the boss of the sewers can be easily baited into certain attacks.

what i'm saying is that everyone should take the time to do a few runs once they have maybe like the level 2 wooden sword at the least to speed things up a little. dungeon runs take a set amount of hours no matter how long you take to do them so it's easy to work them into a schedule.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's very simple to duck into early dungeoncrawling content with the most basic gear more or less. the boss of the sewers can be easily baited into certain attacks.

Also the dodge roll is incredible, you get so many iframes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

skeleton warrior posted:

There are places where Lee and Nora end up disagreeing, where Nora says, "Tech can be good for our lives, we just have to watch out for it being weaponized and stop that" and Lee says, "Any tech can turn out to be a weapon, remember the dancing robot, we're all doomed if we don't destroy all tech" so I think Lee is just way more of a fanatic on the issue than most church-goers or even necessarily other preachers.

But yeah, you'd think he'd get pissy over all your building, but apparently if you're not directly building and using rifles, it's okay

Yeah, the Church's point of view seems to be less "technology is bad" and more "technology almost ended the loving world so maybe let's be cautious with it and make sure we use it well and responsibly."

Even things like factories aren't inherently evil so long as the people in charge of those factories can be trusted not to use them to start mass-producing nuclear weapons or something, essentially.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AG3 posted:

If you have an excess of Eye Glass you can just make the Magnifying Glass. If you have some of those and hit the middle mouse button while inspecting, it'll light up the error on the item. I find it pretty much mandatory later on, especially on errors that are only really visible if you look at them from a very specific angle.

Using them doesn't lower the rating or reward you get either, so it's a decent way to ace the harder inspections.

Thanks. I entirely forgot about the Magnifying Glass and never even knew how it worked after I got one the first time.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Man, I really tried to be diligent but I wasn't able to get #1 until like halfway through month 3. For real, though, gently caress Higgins.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

parabolic posted:

Man, I really tried to be diligent but I wasn't able to get #1 until like halfway through month 3. For real, though, gently caress Higgins.

I just finally got #1 and I'm half way through winter.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Main thing is to be number 1 by the end of the year. The seasonal prizes for 1st place are nice, but the year end prize is the real windfall, 30,000 gols plus tons of relic fragments.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah getting to rank 1 can be a bit rough first time along.

making GBS threads on higgins in spring 1 is stupidly satisfying though if you do another save.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Aw man, I was hoping it wouldn't be some giant prize. I'm halfway through fall and trailing a solid 2k points and don't feel like I'm making headway.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

Aw man, I was hoping it wouldn't be some giant prize. I'm halfway through fall and trailing a solid 2k points and don't feel like I'm making headway.

You can still easily beat him. For me, late fall was when I took off and I went from down about 2k to JUST behind him by Winter.

Just make sure to go every day to do commissions, and remember that you can do 1 story commission AND 1 random commission at a time.

Get 2-3 furnaces making carbon steel constantly and never stop.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've been doing that, but man those bridge parts are just soul crushing to make at 40 something steel bars per order.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

haldolium posted:

Thanks. I entirely forgot about the Magnifying Glass and never even knew how it worked after I got one the first time.

I didn't either at first; I thought it was a passive item due to how obvious the very earliest flaws are, and when I got to the really hard ones later I was like "boy am I glad I have the Magnifying Glass now, otherwise this would've been even worse!". Then a few hours later the brain kicked in about that whole number of Magnifying Glasses held up top of the screen, then I noticed the button mapping list at the bottom :downs:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Saxophone posted:

I've been doing that, but man those bridge parts are just soul crushing to make at 40 something steel bars per order.

I don’t know if I was pushing too hard to get ahead of him but I passed Higgins at the end of summer Y1. I was running 4 basic furnaces, 8 civil furnaces, 4 industrial furnaces, and 2 electric furnaces. Now in the middle of winter I’m like three or four thousand points ahead of him if I am remembering correctly.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is stockpile bars to use in commissions. I have around 400 of each metal bar sitting around at any time and generally double that for carbon steel since that’s used so much.