Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rand Brittain posted:

It could also just as easily mean that they devolved lalafell into pond scum, because they're jerks like that.

Allagan research grant for finding out what happens when you melt a bunch of spoken together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Didn't realize the Allagans were perverts

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homeless snail posted:

Are you telling me you thought they weren't perverts?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

EponymousMrYar posted:

And sure it's like 'just run alphascape 4 a few times and collect 1k of the old tomestone, that's not bad' but when you have 11-12 classes to do that for... That's a lot of alphascape 4 runs. And old tomestones.

Do you mean sigmascape 4.0, or have I completely missed something when trying to gear my little buddy?

Re: caster stat preferences, far as I am aware there's no significant difference for BLM at least as far as damage is concerned. You have some speed breakpoints: at least ~800ish, depending on latency, to be able to fit all your Fire IVs and a Thundercloud proc and no more than ~2300ish since apparently then your rotation can be so fast that it'll desync with Foul, but any speed-vs-crit distribution within that range is within rounding error. You don't really need to meld to get 800 spell speed at current gear levels so my understanding it's mostly that more speed is comfortable, not so much numerically better.

I don't really play BLM so that might all be nonsense but when I googled what the hell to do with my caster gear melds that was what the spreadsheeters told me, anyhow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Allaged perverts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do they ever tell mention somewhere why Hydaelyn keeps telling you to "hear, feel, think?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do they ever tell mention somewhere why Hydaelyn keeps telling you to "hear, feel, think?"

It's just drat good advice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't wait until we make a pact with Zodiark in this expansion and he's all like, in a whispery divine voice, "piss, poo poo, gently caress"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I can't wait until we make a pact with Zodiark in this expansion and he's all like, in a whispery divine voice, "piss, poo poo, gently caress"

I haven't seen the WoL do any of those so it sounds like good advice!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

Do you mean sigmascape 4.0, or have I completely missed something when trying to gear my little buddy?

Sounds like you missed a raid tier, yeah

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Sounds like you missed a raid tier, yeah

I know alphascape exists, but aren't the crystalloids still weekly and the tomestones likewise?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Xerophyte posted:

I know alphascape exists, but aren't the crystalloids still weekly and the tomestones likewise?

It is, although it's 4 per token instead of 7.

When you have 11-12 classes to do that with, both alphascape/sigma are going to take roughly the same amount of time :v:

Also the next patch is probably going to uncap them and I'll have to get around to it anyway in order to prep for Shadowbringer's leveling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's extremely sad to me that there's no Bard quest called "Hear, Feel, Sing"

Edit: Every bit of Heavensward post-Singularity Reactor is amazing, I love it every time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Every bit of Heavensward post-Singularity Reactor is amazing, I love it every time.

Heavensward's post-game story is the rare occasion when a game makes me feel "I want to punch all these idiots" in a good way. The Dragonsong War is, in my opinion, far and away the best moment in the game for making you feel like you've really earned that victory and happy ending. You worked like a motherfucker for it, it was never killing one dude or making one grand gesture that magically fixed everything, and everyone except Magic Pope had human and understandable motives for why they kept loving things up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HW features every type of interaction with dragons. You side with them, scheme against them, murder them, help them, even hear about some weirdo nerd trying to gently caress a dragon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jokes posted:

even hear about some weirdo nerd trying to gently caress a dragon.
Her name was Shiva

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

homeless snail posted:

Well, I mean...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jokes posted:

HW features every type of interaction with dragons. You side with them, scheme against them, murder them, help them, even hear about some weirdo nerd trying to gently caress a dragon.

Dont forget flea spraying and back scratching services

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Cross class glamour, while neat on paper, would be confusing in alliance raids.

How would it be more confusing than say people wearing pig/chocobo/vanu costumes and the like? There also exists plate and mail looking gear that all classes can equip.
And even if say a Black mage wore full DRK AF, you'd still visually detect that it was a BLM by its weapon and the casting animations rather then what its wearing, it's not any different from telling the class of someone in bikini glam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

As someone who tries to keep classes up to date so I can do EXDR with them the problem isn't substats, it's weapons. They take the most effort to maintain ilvls with. And sure it's like 'just run alphascape 4 a few times and collect 1k of the old tomestone, that's not bad' but when you have 11-12 classes to do that for... That's a lot of alphascape 4 runs. And old tomestones.

Most of my classes are still on ilvl 335 relics from when I did Anemos because that was pretty easy to get for them all :v:

I mean unless you're looking for hyper-optimization you can just grind Seiryu EX to get 395 for everything pretty quickly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I mean unless you're looking for hyper-optimization you can just grind Seiryu EX to get 395 for everything pretty quickly.

The only EX farm parties are for old primals.

Current EX farm parties are a myth :colbert:

(Also farming ex's takes more energy for me, probably because of dealing with PF shenanigans and whatnot.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kwyndig posted:

Cross class glamour, while neat on paper, would be confusing in alliance raids.

As of Sirensong, we've got gear sets that are straight up copies of gear for other classes (also dyeable, so can't use that as an excuse either). That argument's long since stopped holding water.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What do I need to know to play LNC/DRG? I love their glamours and it's the only class I haven't spent time with, and I figure while I probably won't like it as much as MCH it could be fun to level.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

homeless snail posted:

Their god is a giant, naked bird lady.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

What do I need to know to play LNC/DRG? I love their glamours and it's the only class I haven't spent time with, and I figure while I probably won't like it as much as MCH it could be fun to level.

Biggest thing is that their jump skills have a bit more animation lock than most skills (especially Jump itself) - you'll want to make sure you're clear of AOEs before you fling yourself into the heavens.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leraika posted:

Biggest thing is that their jump skills have a bit more animation lock than most skills (especially Jump itself) - you'll want to make sure you're clear of AOEs before you fling yourself into the heavens.
Good to know, what is Impulse Drive for?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good to know, what is Impulse Drive for?

your DoT combo wombo

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Keep heavy thrust up, and you cycle between your 2 major combos of 3 buttons each. You won't unlock your 2nd full combo until level 50 so just kind of keep disembowel up and then go through your full thrust combo until you have to refresh heavy thrust and disembowel. It's fixed rotation that doesn't change, no procs to monitor literally just 1 go to 2, 2 go to 3, etc. It also has a ton of ogcd weaving and one of the most hectic openers at 70 just behind MCH.

For sub level 26 stuff True+Vorpal is like 10 more potency than just spamming Impulse Drive until your fingers go numb

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bolow posted:

For sub level 26 stuff True+Vorpal is like 10 more potency than just spamming Impulse Drive until your fingers go numb
Yeah, that's why I was confused by what Impulse Drive is for when you first get it.

Thanks both of you!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I tried being a catgirl for a couple weeks to see what the fuss was about.

I like her, but I lose track of her a lot, like at retainer bells or in stacks, so this is probably the end of that experiment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DRG isn't great because it feels like you're spinning plates which can make you feel rather anxious but you're actually going through a strict 11-skill rotation which means you're bored and anxious. Heavy thrust, 5-skill impulse drive combo, 5-skill true thrust combo, rinse and repeat. It used to be worse because you'd regain BotD at about the same speed you'd lose it so veering off your rotation or flubbing your directional requirements meant you miss out on a ton of DPS. Not that your optimal DPS was that great anyway.

Also, this is just an obnoxious thing to think about with DRG and shows how little thought went into it. You open up the rotation with heavy thrust which gets a bonus if you're flanking. But then you immediately start the rear-damage combo. Then when you reapply heavy thrust, you just finished a rear-damage hit. So playing optimally has you going flank-rear-flank-rear-flank in one rotation. If heavy thrust had a bonus if you're facing the rear, it would be rear-flank-rear in one rotation. Or you can skip out on the additional 40 potency per heavy thrust by just skipping its flank bonus which is what I do and quite frankly I rarely am 100% on directional requirements because they're quite finicky. At least now it doesn't completely tank your DPS like it used to.

It's just frustrating because I quite like how they look and I like the theme of the class.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[laughing in pugilist]

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jokes posted:

DRG isn't great because it feels like you're spinning plates which can make you feel rather anxious but you're actually going through a strict 11-skill rotation which means you're bored and anxious. Heavy thrust, 5-skill impulse drive combo, 5-skill true thrust combo, rinse and repeat. It used to be worse because you'd regain BotD at about the same speed you'd lose it so veering off your rotation or flubbing your directional requirements meant you miss out on a ton of DPS. Not that your optimal DPS was that great anyway.

Also, this is just an obnoxious thing to think about with DRG and shows how little thought went into it. You open up the rotation with heavy thrust which gets a bonus if you're flanking. But then you immediately start the rear-damage combo. Then when you reapply heavy thrust, you just finished a rear-damage hit. So playing optimally has you going flank-rear-flank-rear-flank in one rotation. If heavy thrust had a bonus if you're facing the rear, it would be rear-flank-rear in one rotation. Or you can skip out on the additional 40 potency per heavy thrust by just skipping its flank bonus which is what I do and quite frankly I rarely am 100% on directional requirements because they're quite finicky. At least now it doesn't completely tank your DPS like it used to.

It's just frustrating because I quite like how they look and I like the theme of the class.
Does this mean the 4 to 8 o' clock positions are Dragoon Time?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

For new players would anyone mind giving a similar rundown to other classes if they so feel inclined wrt how it feels to control the classes? I actually already chose Dragoon but currently the simplicity is a boon while just trying to figure out better hotkeys or other basic poo poo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I played around as a male catgirl for awhile, but with the expac coming I'm back to Elezen. I've aged my guy up though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

jokes posted:

Nice post/name combo.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Control Volume posted:

[laughing in pugilist]

For emphasis:

Flank flank rear, rear rear flank, rear flank flank, flank rear flank, rear flank rear, rear rear flank, flank flank flank, rear rear flank, rear flank rear etc.

If you want to get good at flanking and rearing, play PUG/MNK and you will.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game has a fate called "yabby hunters" and I think this proves Koji Fox has watched every piece of media ever created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EponymousMrYar posted:

It is, although it's 4 per token instead of 7.

When you have 11-12 classes to do that with, both alphascape/sigma are going to take roughly the same amount of time :v:

Also the next patch is probably going to uncap them and I'll have to get around to it anyway in order to prep for Shadowbringer's leveling.

Just run Seiryu EX or buy crafted weapons. :psyduck: