Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Arnaldo the Shaman has gone to the Cloakwood.

After cleaning up the bandit camp, it's time to pay a visit to some of the side areas Arnaldo has mostly ignored so far.

The first one up is Ulcaster:

We meet this ghost.

And this other ghost that's added by Unfinished Business.

Also this wolf.
SCS gives the Wolf of Ulcaster, who normally is a regular Vampiric Wolf, some special abilities - summoning Ghouls and Dread Wolves, casting Horror, and I think maybe Dispel.
No Free Action, though, so RIP.

Finally, we meet the Grand Heathen Army of Kobolds:

We don't meet Icharyd the skeleton because SCS makes that fight bullshit. Apart from 50% resistance to all non-crushing weapon damage, Icharyd also has 90% Magic Resistance and when he drops down to low HP he resets the fight (including a full heal for him and dispelling all effects on the party), gets some buffs and starts calling auto-hitting lightning down once per round.
He is worth 1200 XP and drops a Flail +1. :v:

We go to Gullykin, kill the Ogre Mage watch the Ogre Mage die to friendly fire because his buddy is not quite as good at Lightning Bolts as Neera and completely ignore the Firewine dungeon because gently caress that place.

The kobolds are undeterred and have formed an alliance with the wolves.

We find some gauntlets.
Kahrk is left for later.

And with that, we're off to the Cloakwood.

Where Jaheira's NPC Project quest awaits. We get Seniyad to agree to let the hunters live in return for helping him against the Shadow Druids. We're sent to check on Maretha and another Druid called Beador, who she was meeting with to relay the information she picked up.

Jaheira, we fixed that problem weeks ago. Right after we got Khalid his +2 sword that will never break.

Arnaldo is not a Druid, Jaheira.
Jaheira, are you okay?

A fun thing happens as we enter this area: ever Phase Spider immediately recognizes that fresh meat has arrived and teleports on top of the party.

Is that so, Jaheira? And you're sure you're feeling okay, by the way?

Jaheira has trouble concentrating. Arnaldo begins to worry.

Arnaldo was going to give her health and fitness advice but unfortunately she attacks.

Oh yeah, and that happens.
We leave for a bit and pick up Coran instead of Xan because Imoen just got her last Thief level and, impressed by Neera's ability to summon a Pit Fiend, dual-classed to Mage.

Also Arnaldo leveled up somewhere in that area and is now able to cast level 3 spells. To which I can only say HOLY poo poo loving FINALLY!
I haven't played a Sorcerer in BG1 for a while and have never played a Shaman before so I didn't quite anticipate how long that wait would be. Being stuck with Writhing Fog as your best spell for a chapter was not great, especially since the Shamanic Dance has become completely useless by now.

Anyway, onwards to Jaheira's quest. We don't find Beador in the Shadow Druid area, but the one afterwards, where he is in the process of being beaten to death by some Shadow Druids, who fall to the might of Web/Writhing Fog/Spike Growth.

He's kind of already lyi--really, Jaheira, we're all worried about you here.

Anyway, Beador sends us back to the Shadow Druid area to free Maretha.

Which we do, while also killing all Shadow Druids including their Archdruid. None of the fights are particularly worth showing off. Seniyad gives us this Club as a reward which Jaheira will probably be using for the rest of the game:

We move on to the first of Coran's quests:

And then it's time for the mines. I'll skip straight to Davaeorn because nothing really exciting happens before him. The four named henchmen outside are taken care of by a combination of Fireballs and Potions of Explosions and the only semi-notable enemies inside are two Mages that have no protection from elemental damage or offensive spells either.

So, Davaeorn. With the SCS component that makes this chapter end battle harder installed, he calls in reinforcements every couple of rounds. My plan is to have Arnaldo, Imoen (who can already cast Web) and Neera take care of those by layering AoE spells.
Jaheira is the one supposed to take care of Davaeorn and gets buffed up to 100% Cold and 90% Fire Resistance, 21 Strength, and gets a Potion of Invulnerability for good measure. And, courtesy of the IWDification mod, she summons a Moonblade, which disables an opponent's spellcasting when it hits.
Coran and Khalid get elemental arrows to either mow down Davaeorn's adds or put damage on him through Stoneskin when possible.

So that's the plan. This is what happens:

Davaeorn teleports right into the middle of the party and dies.

Arnaldo the Shaman has liberated and then flooded the Cloakwood Mines.

I'll miss you too, Cloakwood.

docbeard posted:

(Of note: I did not install the SCS components that 'improve' beholders or their areas. And I sure as gently caress did not install the component that removes the admittedly overpowered Shield of Balduran from the game. Because, and I cannot stress this enough, gently caress beholders.)
:hai:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Big update incoming.

Cheeseburger, the solo fighter/illusionist starts BG2
After leaving Chateau Irenicus, the first thing I did was to head up to the inn and kill Mencar Pebblecrusher and his goons.

I’m kind of proud about this because it was super clean, not even a single point of HP lost and 0 kiting done. Basically it was a combination of a scroll of protection from poison, cloudkill and invisibility, they even killed each other, it was wonderful.

Anyway, after selling their junk I completed the circus quest and the first part of the Copper and freed the Copper Coronet slaves without much of a problem. The slaver’s compound, on the other hand, was a tad bit more problematic.

Holly molly I’m so weak at this point in the game, that was a lot of kiting.

After all this crap, I decided that I needed to do one of the stronghold quests, but most of them were too hard for poor Cheeseburguer, also I needed gold, huge amounts of gold, badly.

So I went to Trademeet and started the druid quest. You see, the only tricky part of the first part of the druid quest is some encounters in the forest, so I just casted invisibility and run through the entire forest and skipped all the encounters. Cerd killed Faldorn, as always.

The second part, Ithafir, was trickier, but if you protect yourself from evocation and/or electricity it’s easier, even thought Rakshasha hit like a truck, but you can always run away and get out from the hut to heal and rebuff without penalty. The reward from completing those two quests is huge, a ton of xp, lots of gold and the shield of harmony are all great for a solo character. The amulet of immunity to poison you loot from Ithafir is also super handy for mage characters.

What did I do with that gold?

I used the limited wish to try again the shapechange exploit I used in the last year challenge, but I fumbled the timing and wasted the scroll, oh well whatever.

Time for more xp and loot. But how does Cheeseburguer deals with most encounters?

Poison gas, lots of it.

This one was fairly tough however.

Killed the lich in the city gates inn with my usual cloak of the sewers cheese. Gimme your wands baby.
Next major quest: the rogue guild.

The only difficult part of this quest chain is Rayic Gaethras and his golems. It went better than I thought, and yes, I cheesed Rayic himself with a scroll of protection from magic, I regret nothing :colbert:

From there, I decided there was no point in delaying the main quest anymore, so I paid Gaelan Bayle his gold and got the amulet of power. I wanted the improved mace of disruption so badly.

It turns out that when you are immune to vampire’s life drain and domination they are not much of a threat.

With the mace of disruption, I went on a lich killing spree.

THUD!

Chumped the Twisted Rune as well.

The Staff of the Magi and the Ring of Gaxx are some of the most potent items in the game, getting them early is pretty important. Note that the ring of Gaxx provides poison immunity and the staff gives unlimited on-demand invisibility, so in combination with spell immunity: Divination and cloudkill it means I can cheese most encounters in BG2 by gassing people out and stand there while everything dies.

GAS!

GAS GAS!

GAS GAS GAS!

For Fikraag, I decided to go for the good ol’ feeblemind cheese.

At this point, I completed most of the major quests except the ranger and cleric ones. I was delaying this ones because they have a lot of random encounters that scale with the party’s experience, and more high level undead means more chances to get high level scrolls as loot.

Another good way to get high level spell scrolls ahead of curve is by abusing the bridge of death puzzle in the cleric quest. You just keep failing the second riddle, the skeleton warriors it spawns have a decent chance of giving you high level spell scrolls.

I farmed them for a bit and got some nice ones, but once I tired from it went on and completed the cleric quest.

And the ranger quest. The shadow dragon goes down by brute force. At this point Cheeseburguer has surpassed the BG2 xp and is getting epic abilities. Spellhold awaits.

Cheeseburger, the solo fighter/illusionist sets sail to Spellhold!

Edit: Fixed a duplicated link.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 2, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Angry Lobster posted:

This one was fairly tough however.
That kiting distance is impressive. Did you use the temple services during the fight?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Wizard Styles posted:

That kiting distance is impressive. Did you use the temple services during the fight?

No, I had the rod of resurrection so I could full heal on demand, the reason I got into the temple was to cast spells without triggering Cowled enforcer squads. Still this guy gave me a lot of grief.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

No, I had the rod of resurrection so I could full heal on demand, the reason I got into the temple was to cast spells without triggering Cowled enforcer squads. Still this guy gave me a lot of grief.

How does the mustard jelly cheese you used on the lich work?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Angry Lobster posted:

That was a fun update; I have a fondness for dual-class gnome illusionist/whatevers from my tabletop days.

By the way, you used the same picture of Rayic twice in a row.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Livewire42 posted:

How does the mustard jelly cheese you used on the lich work?

Use the cloak of the sewers to shapechange into a mustard jelly, now you are 100% resistant to magic, just sit there and let him unload all his spells at you. He will also gate a demon (who typically will fight the lich because never protects itself against evil) and an efreet.

After he has unloaded all of his most dangerous spells and summoned his minions, you can just get out of there, go outside the inn and wait five or ten minutes for his creatures to unsummon, and return to kill him.

JustJeff88 posted:

That was a fun update; I have a fondness for dual-class gnome illusionist/whatevers from my tabletop days.

By the way, you used the same picture of Rayic twice in a row.

Oops, thanks, will fix it asap.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Celeste the solo Blade is about to assault Dragonspear Castle.

Hmm, I wonder who he could possibly be referring to.

A potion of absorption nullified the threat of the Shambling Mounds, making this fight against an evil druid fairly straight-forward.

A fortunate Remove Magic stripped Kherriun of her buffs, and she was killed quickly. Halatathlaer promptly switched sides in the battle, and she slaughtered most of the enemies very easily.

Zhadroth was a simple kill thanks to The Secret Revealed. Unfortunately, Celeste cannot use the superb robe he drops, but I did get a Ring of Regeneration, so its not all bad.

Oh wow, I'm so shocked that Hephernaan isn't really working for Caelar.

Knowing I was about to fight a trio of high level mages (Hephernaan himself is a 14/14 Cleric/Mage, not sure about the other 2), I prepared accordingly.

The trio were thrashed, to be honest. This is just the warm-up fight though.

The real fight here is with a huge group of Crusaders who warped into the main chamber during the fight with Hephernaan. After a very long fight with what must have been at least 3 dozen Crusaders, I was victorious thanks to massive fireball spam. Its a good job I bought so many buff potions during BG1, I had to buff a second time about half way through this fight.

Lastly, the Crusader attack on the Coalition Camp was dealt with without too much trouble, although the leader of the last attack proved to be quite tough to kill. He was the only real threat, though.

Next up is the assault on Dragonspear Castle.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
My first ever BG character (BG2) was half-orc Fighter/Cleric and I have later tried to do a trilogy run with a similar character but either failed or got bored. I've also seen people having good ol' fun with dwarven Fighter/Clerics, so I thought to myself, "hey, let's try the third option":

Fabriano the gnome Fighter/Cleric is born (read as: rerolled for 5 minutes to get some decent stats) to crack some skulls:

Rat skulls, that is:

Wizard skulls, being larger, are better suited to commands:

We join up with Ajantis and ask him to tell us more about Helm (Yea!). We then stumble upon some insect cave and proceed to spread Helm's word (hint: it's "command", followed by "break-your-weapon-on-their-carapace") among them:

As it turns out, these acid spitting underground llamas are not easily converted. There goes Iron Party yet again:

Better head south for a while then, but not before we start pissing off other gods:

Note to self: "Never trust a dimension door-ing kid." (see also: Albert and his "dog"):

Beregost. Not all wizards are easily commanded:

Silke still falls to Helm's might and- "hey, Imoen, don't kill steal":

We pick up Garrick because we got a shiny Wand of Fire from the ankheg cave that needs a steady hand and also because he cheers me up. Once more into the breach, dear friend. :unsmith:

The 9000 gp from selling Evermemory (since at first I thought I might as well do this run without a full arcane caster) come in handy since we're overpaying for a smelly chitinous armor:

Garrick is not usless:

Off to the coast we go. We do things by the book here, Kivan:

The CON book is "stealthily" retrieved (I forgot to pick up Invisibility potions or scrolls so I had to run Fabriano in and out with a Sanctuary spell and chug some potions to resist the traps), we deal with Bassilus and Melicamp dies yet again:

Ajantis feels a sense of evil in Beregost so we move down to Nashkel. But what does Garrick think of this place? That's right, buddy:

Helm is the god of guardians so we decide to help Minsc, then proceed to tackle the mines with an overleveled full party. This guy survives yet again:

After a camping trip to the Basilisk woods, Dynaheir now has access to 3rd level spells. Just in time to brute force into the Bandit Camp. On the road I learn that the Journal page is movable while fudging around with my sausage fingers:

Fast forward to another camping trip in the Cloakwood and somehow this time I didn't have to go back to a temple, not even once. We also shared a fire and drank some booze with a stranger:

The way to Baldur's Gate is now open but still full of insects. Having previously determined that they cannot be converted by word alone, we apply the ol' hammer-on-skull with an unbreakable tool:

Soon thereafter, the team starts to work in the city and surroundings as the best makeshift P.I./courier service in the area, and has thusly been awarded by a kind wizard with a vacation up north.

Fabriano the delivery gnome Fighter/Cleric has been sent to an icy island to pick up a package.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Herbert West, Solo Cleric/Necromancer, Has Reanimated the Nashkel Iron Trade and, uh, Deanimated the Bandit Threat

Familiars, even familiars with Polymorph Self access, fundamentally only have a few hit points and that will never get any better. It's really too dangerous to risk them in combat beyond the first level or two.

Which isn't to say they don't have their uses.

Like kicking assassins while they're down. (Doctor West unluckily ate a Hold Person here, but fortunately there's not a whole lot Neira can do to a Mustard Jelly, especially with poison preventing her from doing much of anything at all.)

(Also, not pictured, but none of the Nashkel Mine traps can do a drat thing to a Mustard Jelly.)

Flamethrower wand continues to be worth its weight in gold. (Fortunate, that, since it costs substantially more than its weight in gold to keep it charged. Not that money's much of a problem once all that magic equipment I can't use starts dropping.)

I grind out a few quests and scribe a few scrolls, enough so that Doctor West gets access to level 3 cleric spells, or, as I like to think of it, a Skellington Apocalypse. Then I go basilisk hunting.

The vampiric wolf is courtesy of an item from, um, some mod or another, I think the Aurora's Boot Merchants one. I had to murder a lot of goblins to get it. It's well worth it.

Mutamin turns out to be barely a threat at all.

Nor are these jokers.

I decide to do a bit of caving.

Mulahey fails his Hold Person save early on so it ends up being a question of whose skellington army is better, mine or his. Turns out to be mine, by a hair. There may have also been some fire involved.

I consider picking a fight as usual here but, eh, that Revenant is scary and what the gently caress am I gonna do with a dagger?

Nimbul meets his usual fate and Doctor West endures a lecture with considerable restraint. (I may have accidentally set Rasaad on fire but he doesn't give a poo poo.)

Oh, Hold Person, is there anything you can't do? (Yes. Yes there is.)

Wandering Assassin Group #1

Wandering Assassin Group #2

And then we take on the bandits. Pictured here is my new favorite spell, Cloud of Pestilence, which I think is an IWDIfication add.

Even with it, some webs and horrors, and my skellington army, this fight is very touch and go, with Doctor West falling to 1 HP at one point. I go through a lot of healing potions and all but one charge on my summon monsters wand after the skellington army falls...

...but in the end, we prevail.

So. Heh. I had a cunning plan to deal with the trap on this chest. I threw on a Fire Resistance robe, the Fire Resistance ring, and cast Protection From Fire.

...pity I'd completely misremembered and the chest was trapped with a Lightning Bolt. Thank goodness said lightning bolt somehow managed to miss Herbert entirely.

But now we have a problem. Doctor West is becoming way too beloved for a Reanimator of his stature. (Not that high rep is really a problem as a solo character, unless one wants evil Bhaalspawn powers. Which I do.) Now, if only there were a stupidly railroady fight you can pick with a Flaming Fist officer that will cost you a poo poo-ton of reputation but otherwise has no consequences...

Oh Christmas!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so my original attempt to make an axe-throwing shaman ended rather ingloriously to a wolf behind the walls of Candlekeep, so I decided to stick with the class I like best. Except, it seems to have a kit now...?

Meet Urgghak Jones, an orc human Dragon Disciple which going by the provided description offers a really tiny set of advantages for a pretty big disadvantage. Still, it should be hard to gently caress up Sorcerer, right? Right?

A bit of explanation should be in order to fully appreciate the idiocy of what I'm doing: I have beaten BG1 once. In 1999. I have had multiple aborted runs that never get much further than the city; on the other hand I have considerably more experience with BG2 but let's face it, chances of getting there are slim. Never played TotSC or (obviously) Dragonspear, have no idea what EE is about. I am fully willing to accept bets on when and where Urgghak inevitably dies.

Anyhow, Candlekeep is a set of mostly pleasant errands slightly marred by the fact I almost got murdered by Shank. Then we get out, plot happens and we timidly start exploring when I remember what happened to my last character. Urgghak hears a howl.

At which point meatshields are sought for with some urgency. While a wizard and a thief do not very good tanks make, Xzar and Montaron take up their daggers and get sent to the frontline simply because Urgghak gives exactly zero fucks about either of them dying. Thus reinforced, the party defeats another wolf and runs the gently caress away from a bear. Map transition; unexpected allies are met.

I could've sworn this guy showed up much later; possible explanations being two: 1] EE moved him, 2] my attitude to the tweakpack ("install whatever sounds cool at the moment, forget immediately afterward") broke the game. That being said, right now I am not going to look a gift bard in the mouth and there's going to be plenty of opportunities for him to have an accident later on.

The Final Fantasy Ogre (because seriously who the gently caress wears two belts) dies thanks to a badly-timed (hence Montaron's health) sleep spell from Urgghak and I decide to stop while I'm ahead although technically I'm ahead only by one screen. Not entirely sure what to do next: my gut tells me to go to FAI to get myself a pair of fighters but the assassin waiting there I recall being a right bastard. Heading south towards Beregost will probably see Urgghak eaten by wildlife within two encounters. Decisions, decisions, ideas?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Arnaldo the Shaman has thoroughly explored Baldur's Gate.

While doing so, he has vanquished rabid chickens, slain the king of the sewers, found two stat tomes etc.

Sort-of highlight reel:

I spend about 20,000 on scrolls and Int-boosting potions. I probably won't use half the spells Neera and Imoen end up learning but Jaheira gets a level out of it. Which brings her up to level 4 spells. Which makes Arnaldo feel a little self-conscious until he next beholds his glorious reflection in a ditch outside.

Aw. :kiddo:

Neera did something bad.

So did Coran.
We solve Neera's situation by giving Meklin the money she stole. We solve Coran's by murdering a Mage, a popular pastime in Baldur's Gate.

Arnaldo smiles as he tells her about her dead stepson, the rascal.

Since Aldeth survived the Cloakwood thanks to Jaheira negotiating a peaceful solution we get to kill an extra dozen Doppelgangers.

Coran, at 180 Pickpocketing after drinking 4 potions, causes the entire temple of Umberlee to attack us as he fails to steal a corpse. Understandable, perhaps, but I'm still a little mad because it's only a little corpse. Then I see that the high priestess is worth 6,000 XP and am no longer mad.

Arnaldo reaches level 4 spells shortly afterwards (while killing a Mage in his home) and can now cast Defensive Harmony and Spirit Fire, two actually legit good spells.

Neera gets her best Wild Surge so far just in time for the fight against Sarevok's acolytes.

Arnaldo tries Spirit Fire for the first time, it's good but slightly overshadowed by Coran trying Arrows of Detonation for the first time.

Next up: Tales of the Sword Coast. And, assuming Khalid and Jaheira hit the level cap during this, I might replace them with Dorn and Rasaad for a bit to do their respective quests before returning to Candlekeep.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 4, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

anilEhilated posted:

I could've sworn this guy showed up much later; possible explanations being two: 1] EE moved him, 2] my attitude to the tweakpack ("install whatever sounds cool at the moment, forget immediately afterward") broke the game. That being said, right now I am not going to look a gift bard in the mouth and there's going to be plenty of opportunities for him to have an accident later on.
The tweak pack and SCS both have components that move him from the Cloakwood to an area that's accessible earlier.

quote:

The Final Fantasy Ogre (because seriously who the gently caress wears two belts) dies thanks to a badly-timed (hence Montaron's health) sleep spell from Urgghak and I decide to stop while I'm ahead although technically I'm ahead only by one screen. Not entirely sure what to do next: my gut tells me to go to FAI to get myself a pair of fighters but the assassin waiting there I recall being a right bastard. Heading south towards Beregost will probably see Urgghak eaten by wildlife within two encounters. Decisions, decisions, ideas?
The assassin is a Mage with Horror and Magic Missile (that could one-shot Urgghak but not Eldoth). You can beat him by using the Wand of Magic Missiles and Larloch's Minor Drain to interrupt his spellcasting and luring him into the guards patrolling the FAI.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Celeste the solo Blade has completed Siege of Dragonspear.

Ashatiel proved to be the final victim of the Wand of Paralyzation. I'm going to miss having it in BG2.

Hephernaan betrays Caelar to open the gate to Avernus.

Avernus is really nice looking, its a shame the chapter is so short.

These lesser devils proved to be simple to kill, they're nowhere near strong enough to be anything other than a speedbump. Celeste got a +3 Longsword from Thrix the riddle devil.

:black101: Onto the final battle, I briefly joined forces with Caelar, since I couldn't think of any way to kill Belhifet with Celeste alone. I gave Caelar some spare items to round out her equipment, a full set of buff potions and 75 extra healing potions.

Celeste after buffing with everything she could use. Celeste's job in the final battle was to kill as many of the lesser devils as possible, she's much more likely to hit them than Belhifet, so she can grab a couple of kills this way.

Caelar is a phenomenal fighter once fully buffed, her only task was attacking Belhifet. Once Belhifet got down to about 40% HP, I removed Caelar from the party, her AI knows to use healing potions, so she was never in any real danger of dying.

With Caelar's incredible damage output it didn't take long for her to finish the job and kill her greatest foe.

Back in Dragonspear Castle, David Warner set an elaborate trap and framed Celeste for murder.

Trust me, I will fear it. Mainly because I'll have no useful equipment. :v:

Celeste's final stats, with 100% of party kills because Caelar didn't kill anything in the brief time she was in the party.

Aww, isn't she just the sweetest. :3: Haven't got a clue who these other people are though.

Honours earned: Siege Breaker, Strategist, Double Damage, Honourable Trader.

Next up is BG2, once I get the mods installed.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Updated the OP to here! The list of dead grew, but so did the list of fresh meat heroes and victors claiming the throne of triumph! Well done to all.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Olive Branch posted:

Updated the OP to here! The list of dead grew, but so did the list of fresh meat heroes and victors claiming the throne of triumph! Well done to all.

Has anyone done either the triple (BG1, BG2, ToB) or the full quadruple (BG1, SoD, BG2, ToB) successfully yet?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone done either the triple (BG1, BG2, ToB) or the full quadruple (BG1, SoD, BG2, ToB) successfully yet?
I'm sure some people in the past threads have. Hell, we had one poster literally die in the final fight of the trilogy as our closest irongod this year.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, people have definitely gone all the way.

Sadly, poor Doctor West won't be one of them. He got smashed in the face by Drasus in the Cloakwood.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Like Drasus said, you can hide, but you can't run. From death.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to screencap it but Urgghak Jones has survived Tarnesh with party more or less unharmed (because who gives a poo poo about Xzar anyway). Next up, Beregost.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Fabriano continues to climb Baldur's Gate Metropolitan Area's corporate ladder!

Shorty saves are a godsend and for extra precaution I like to wear the Greenstone Amulet, which I routinely forget to activate before a mage fight, therefore I will continue to get wrecked by Confusion. Sorry about that, Garrick:

We deliver Shandalar's cloak and pick up the Stoneskin scroll for Dynaheir (once she returns to the living), then head to Baldur's Gate's local Helm Temple with our 1600 gp resurrection bill:

Back in the city we deliver some book to Prime subscriber Brielbara, while still forgetting I have a Greenstone Amulet equipped:

And wrap up the Iron Throne investigation, while still forgetting I have a Greenstone Amulet equipped:

While finishing the paperwork we discover that not everyone in the company gets along and proceed to schedule a company trip to a nearby vacation island:

But first, another book delivery, this time it's back home. I hear you Watcher, do know that my rates have increased, though:

Deja vu:

Sorry Deder, I didn't even notice you were charging those skeletons. Also, Dynaheir it was your Fireball that did the deed.

Nevertheless, after a substantial donation to Nashkel's Helm Temple and a pair of quests I had saved for later, we're back to 20 in time to tackle Durlag's once again:

This is just to show that I thought it was neat that Fuernebol's doppelganger appears as a bard, since previously another doppleganger posing as Durlag's was asking him to play something with his lute or something like that. Also to remember myself to use Garrick's harp more often. I will keep that I mind as I go down:

Or not:

Well, that's what we should tell the family Ajantis but we still have an opening in the company. After reviewing some CVs I though Quayle might be a decent replacement since he could still use Kazgaroth's Claw and some of Garrick's stuff:

I'm also swimming in cash so we can afford to buy back the first Evermemory and a nice cloak for him, but he's still a trainee so we take him on a few side jobs to level him up a bit before returning to the dungeon:

Our former pal Garrick may be vaporized but this cow is saved.

And thus, Fabriano the Fighter/Cleric plunges deeper into Durlag's Tower for his most expensive delivery yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Urgghak Jones made it to Beregost after tactically retreating from Larswood.

So I hadn't managed to screencap it but ended up clearing FAI with negligible losses and negligible benefits; I have no idea whether the ring of wizardry even does anything for Dragon Disciples. Still, after upgrading Urgghak's meatshield retinue with two fighters with suspiciously low Health, we head for Beregost. Except we take a wrong turn into a shithole full of gibberlings and wolves. The Sleep spell gets us through most of this, but some of the wildlife proves decidedly uncooperative.

Further exploitration of the locale is halted upon spotting this:

At which point Urgghak opts for the better part of valor and backpedals out of Larswood immediately. Except there's this one guy. With a bow. Who almost kills Khalid with his opening shot. After he is put to sleep and beaten to death, Urgghak begins to ponder just why the hell does his most of retinue risk getting oneshotted by a goddamn brigand when a goddamn bard - of all things! - stands in the middle of things, sings at people, gets thoroughly ignored and does it all with over 20 health.

I never realized how incredibly smarmy Eldoth looks on the close-up. Anyway, it turns out the fucker is level three when the rest of my party (Jaheira aside) has yet to breach 2. Apparently the tweakpack changed his location but did not adjust his level. Oh well, gift bard and all; guess Urgghak won't be sacrificing him that soon.

We eventually made it to Beregost. From what I remember, there's a pretty tough fight against some sort of a witch there, a house full of spiders and... That's really it? Any sights I shouldn't miss?
Also, is there any point in (later, when sufficient amounts of meatshields have been gathered) exploring the part of Larswood where the bear lurks?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

We eventually made it to Beregost. From what I remember, there's a pretty tough fight against some sort of a witch there, a house full of spiders and... That's really it? Any sights I shouldn't miss?

There's the Stupifier, a very good +1 mace upstairs in the Burning Wizard tavern, and a new NPC.

Celeste the solo Blade is making a name for herself in Athkatla after siding with the Shadow Thieves.

I'm continuing with Insane difficulty and SCS with almost everything on the hardest settings possible. Improved Starting Dungeon was skipped, and Improved Beholders, Vampires, Unseeing Eye, Bodhi and Abazigal didn't install for whatever reason.

The biggest problem in Irenicus's Dungeon is the Ogre Mage, oddly enough. Once I was past him it was pretty easy going. I like how walking out a door in BG2 gets you more than double the XP than killing Sarevok.

The circus was no problem either, after this I grabbed the pickpocket gloves from the Coronet and stole the Ring of Regeneration and a +2 long sword from Ribald.

Charming Captain Haegan made this fight a breeze, he killed most of his own men easily. Once he was alone, he wasn't much of a threat.

Best character in the game, imo.

Aside from starting the Mae'Var quest, the Skinner murders is the most noteworthy thing I've done since starting Chapter 3. Celeste reached level 16, and her first level 6 spell shortly after this.

Next up is more sidequests, I'm not rushing a solo Blade to Spellhold.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 7, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In my latest efforts toward an even remotely successful solo run, and also my continuing project of making podcast references that only I will ever understand and appreciate, I present:

Acting Bhaalspawn Rip Stipley

I'm going for, more or less, the Shar-Teel build here, dualing him at level 3 to thief. ("But you can't dual-class a barbarian, you moron, you fool," you might well be saying. And normally you can't, but something in, I think, Tweaks Anthology unlocks the option.)

Berserker's the more powerful choice here, but I like barbarians, what can I say? Besides, being immune to backstabs can only be an asset in an SCS run.

Anyway, I'll omit the boring grinding and easy quests and lockpicking XP (which is at BG2 levels because gently caress being level 1 any longer than is strictly necessary) and skip to when Rip is a level 3 barbarian/level 4 thief, and can actually get on with playing the game.

I waited on Tarnesh til I had rage back, but it turned out not to be an issue.

In between this and my trip to Nashkel, I sold the Ring Of Useless To Me for 9000 gold and a few other odds and ends to finance the Dagger of Venom, or as I like to call it, "gently caress you, spellcasters".

Rip flubbed his backstab attempt on Neira but the poisoned stabs to her face connected just fine.

Next: Rip Stipley will probably die horribly in the Nashkel Mines.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone have any suggestions for the Twisted Rune fight? Vanilla, in my case. I've always struggled mightily with that one, yet I love the Staff of the Magi so I carry on regardless. I prefer to avoid cheese (by which I mean tactics; it's wonderful food) if at all possible.

Olive Branch posted:

I'm sure some people in the past threads have. Hell, we had one poster literally die in the final fight of the trilogy as our closest irongod this year.

I actually meant this year specifically, but I believe that you just answered that for me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Twisted Rune fight? Vanilla, in my case. I've always struggled mightily with that one, yet I love the Staff of the Magi so I carry on regardless. I prefer to avoid cheese (by which I mean tactics; it's wonderful food) if at all possible.

At least two of your enemies are undead, so having Azuredge and/or the Improved Mace of Disruption will help a lot. (I got lucky last time I did it and was able to take out Shandalar right at the start.) Daystar too: Sunray will nuke the vampire really nicely. Have someone with the Shield of Balduran keep the beholder occupied.

Otherwise, go in loaded for high-level spellcaster bear.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually meant this year specifically, but I believe that you just answered that for me.

Lure them one at a time. First, huddle your team in the little room of the entrance, you can also set traps there for good measure. Send one npc to trigger Shandalar's dialogue, then return quickly to the entrance, Shandalar will teleport there, if you are fast enough, no other enemies will follow you there. Kill the lich as fast as possible, use standard anti lich tactics, but a mix of traps, second dawn (daystar) and the ring of the ram should work well, also put your main character in the rear so he doesn't get mazed.

Once Shandalar is dead, try to lure the enemies on at a time, the naked fighter can be safely ignored. The vampire should be easy enough if you have azureedge or improved mace of disruption. The beholder is best dealt with the shield of balduran. For the mage, you can send a rogue stealthed and backstab her, although my favorite way to deal with her is get into her field of view, trigger her script (time stop+gate) and then leave, so she starts fighting with the summoned demon (protection from evil helps here).

As long as you don't attempt a frontal assault you should be fine.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Acting Adventurer Rip Stipley Has Not Died Horribly In The Nashkel Mines, Or In The Bandit Camp

For once, the werewolf cure for this dude from Ascalon's Quest Mod works.

Like all right-minded idiots, I decide to power-level off some basilisks. It generally goes pretty well.

A backstab doesn't immediately do Mutamin in but the poison from the Dagger of gently caress You Mage does the trick.

Silke, however, doesn't live long enough to get poisoned.

Somewhere between then and this trip to the Valley of the Tombs, I paid a visit to Ulgoth's Beard for...let's call it a trade mission. I traded a couple of potions of master thievery for a ring of freedom. In a manner of speaking.

I also buy the greenstone amulet while I'm in the neighborhood.

I think I forgot to mention that Melicamp lived in Herbert West's run. He doesn't here, though.

I sort out the Gnoll Fortress (thank Christ thieves can use the Wand of Sleep) and grab the Charisma Tome.

I'm forced to get a bit close-quarters with the One Gift Lost to deal with Mulahey's minions, but it all works out. Mulahey is already dead at this point.

A pre-emptive strike against this rear end in a top hat keeps him from summoning his mustard jellies. I regret nothing.

Say goodnight, Nimbul

And Tranzig too.

Hello, ladies.

And goodbye. My life is basically kiting and backstabbing at this point.

It takes approximately a thousand years to kill everyone in the bandit camp. But it all works out.

Next: Rip Stipley Will Probably Die Horribly In The Cloakwood

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Cheeseburger, the solo fighter/illusionist sets sail to Spellhold!

Cheeseburger time in Spellhold was like a walk in the park, only with tons of poison gas.

Warcrimes never get old.

Also it’s nice to know that the xp exploit of that statue has not been fixed by the EE.

After Spellhold, went through Sahuagin city, but I literally forgot to take screenshots ooops.

The Underdark was a pretty smooth experience.

Screw this assholes. I need the belt to craft Crom Faeyr, the sword is just a bonus.

Blazed through the drow city and did the usual triple crossing routine with my buddy Soulafein.

I truly hate this fight, mind flayers are the biggest assholes in this game, period. In ye ol’ good times you could cheese this encounter with a single death spell, a pity it was fixed.

Once I returned to the surface, I made a quick trip to the sewers and paid this fuckers a visit.

Choo choo! The mind flayer pain train has arrived!

God bless Mordenkainen’s swords. Seriously, this is one of the most evil areas in the entire game.

One of the best things to do once you get to the surface is visit Ribald and go on a purchasing spree. Good thing I leveled up to fighter/mage 20/18 pretty much immediately in Athkatla, that means 9th level spell slots!

Oh shapechange, sweet sweet shapechange, how long I’ve longed for you.

:frogsiren: IT’S CHEESE TIME :frogsiren:

(copy pasted from the last ironman challenge thread)

quote:

Shapeshifting has always been kinda buggy in this game and it turns out that while the EE fixed some exploits it also introduced others. This is one exclusive for the EE version.
The exploit revolves around that if you change form exactly when the spell runs out, you will be able to retain the ability to change to that form permanently after the spell duration expires. The change form spell/animation has a 1 second duration, so you need to press the form you desire exactly in the last second of the spell duration.

The tricky part is that shapechange has an in-game duration of 1 hour, in real time is exactly 5 minutes. Remove the robe of Vecna and the amulet of power. You need to change shape exactly between 4:59: and 5:00.

:getin:

Due to how shapeshifting mechanics in general work in the EE version, you can do some nifty things. Buffs carry over to you new form, and you can swap items in your new form (except weapons/shields, though some modifiers like thac0 bonuses or dual wielding still apply). If you reequip items once you have shapechanged that affect attributes like a girdle of strength or gauntlets of dexterity, they will reapply the effect, which is fantastic for a physically weak form like a mind flayer.

Hello vampires! Give me your brains please.

Next stop, Elf city!

Adamantite golems are Crom Faeyr-immune assholes.

Skeleton braaains! (don’t aske me how or why this makes sense)

Hey, demon brains are fine too.

Yes, I've planned this dumb joke since level 1. Don’t judge me please.

Cheeseburger, the solo fighter/illusionist is ready for the final boss

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh shapechange, sweet sweet shapechange, how long I’ve longed for you.

:frogsiren: IT’S CHEESE TIME :frogsiren:

Heh heh heh I love this so much.

And it occurs to me that, assuming he makes it that far, Rip Stipley will have access to Use Any Item at some point...

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Fabriano's Speedy Delivery co. returns to the Durlag Towers with a promising new member in tow!

After yet another misclick (misfinger) which causes Imoen to step on a trap she was meant to disarm, Dynaheir issues a dire warning:

A short trip to Gullykin's temple and we're back in business. I'll trust the Enhanced Edition's improved pathing system and go to the kitchen to make a tuna sandwich and... oh dear.

Sorry Quayle, maybe this job was not meant for you. After seeing your charred remains Minsc will tell others that you died on the "battlefield" (which is easier to explain than "inside an infinite fireball room"):

Anyway, time for another talent hunt in the woods:

It appears news don't always travel fast on the Sword Coast. Nevermind we previously murdered the Shadow Archdruid to get a decent club for Quayle and now you will get to use it:

Deeper into Durlag's, it appears Dynaheir does not think much of Faldorn. She didn't think much of Quayle on his brief time with us, either. Sorry lady but I'm starting to see a pattern here:

Demon Knight time! This time I remember to activate (after his Dispel) the Greenstone Amulet to protect against his Power Word: Stun which I fear the most, but it appears it could always be worse... :stare:

Demon Knight down. Fabriano takes off the Cloak of Balduran and kisses it.

After the return to Ulgoth's Beard, cultists manage to take down Faldorn (and Dynaheir, I forgot to Stoneskin in time) but she does not get chunked which is an improvement over her two predecessors. Rush to a temple and back, Aec falls without too much hassle.

Finally, the long promised company vacation on a tropical island arrives:

And after this much needed R&R we return to Baldur's Gate to end the Iron Throne's monopoly on small delivery companies. But first we do our civic duty and save a Duke:

Kent may not be the sharpest knife in the Flaming Fist but at least he doesn't attack Fabriano after Sanctuary-sneaking in. The way out hauiling the Duke's corpse is another thing and we have to make a tactical retreat to the sewers:

After a "social" visit to the Undercellar and a shower later, we proceed to crash the party at the Ducal Palace. Chill Minsc, the bouncer was just asking for our IDs:

Pile on!

Final fight on the Undercity and with a surprise MVP: a confused Nymph chose to Dominate Semaj which then I instructed to Flame Arrow snipe Sarevok :getin:

He then became hostile again and the credits rolled in as the team proceed to tackle him.

Fabriano has triumphed over Sarevok! Semaj did life in prison. :colbert:

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap "Dodger", Honorable Trader, Roleplayer
Dishonors: none

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

docbeard posted:

Heh heh heh I love this so much.

And it occurs to me that, assuming he makes it that far, Rip Stipley will have access to Use Any Item at some point...

You can also use a limited wish scroll and choose the unique wish to shapechange, so you have at least two opportunities to pull it off with scrolls if you miss the timing in the first try.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
And that's it:

Fabriano was zapped to death on the Coast Way bridge.

I'm already reinstalling BGEE again though I fear I might run out of gas midway. We'll see.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Acting Mine Liberator Rip Stipley Did Not Die Horribly In The Cloakwood

Just keep walking, Rip, she'll do you wrong.

Sirenes, even the enhanced version (added by possibly SCS), it turns out, are not a particular challenge when (a) you can't be charmed (thank you, helmet), and (b) you can effectively go invisible at will just by running away (and the enhanced versions' blinding clouds mean you don't even technically have to run far).

Flesh golems are a bit dicier since they can't be backstabbed, but they can be kited. I've now got the Constitution tome.

Initial backstab only takes off half the Doomsayer's health and of course he hits like a truck. But thankfully Rip can take being hit by at least two trucks at this point.

They were about as much trouble as the rest of the rabble I faced.

Record scratch. So you're probably wondering how I got into this situation...and why whatsherface looks like the Lady of Pain, which I'm kind of wondering myself.

I more or less ignore the shadow druid and wyvern regions of the Cloakwood, though I do pop in with a Protection from Poison scroll to deal with the wyverns.

Rip almost meets poor Herbert's fate, but comes through (just barely) okay in the end.

...well that was almost disappointingly easy. (Too easy, it turns out; the game crashed for me immediately afterwards, I think because it tried to fire up his Teleport Like An rear end in a top hat script. So I had to kill him the slightly harder way, which involved stabbing him in the face with the Dagger of Venom and laughing while he teleported around unable to get a spell off.

Next: Rip Stipley Will Probably Die Horribly In Baldur's Gate.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Hey everyone, meet Bhaalette, the solo Dragon Disciple who has killed Sarevok and saved the Sword Coast of this week's threat!

Definitely not a born hero. She like long walks on the beach and exploding things with eldritch energy. The 18 in STR is not only critical to my overall strategy (hit things to death with a stick) but it's also what's expected of the LORD OF MURDER'S child. Also, the red color scheme is reminiscent of BLOOD and RED DRAGONS and it is absolutely HARDCORE. The CN alignment not only justifies the occasionally questionable moral choices as well as allows for something very important later on.

While I have soloed this series before, I have never really played a solo Sorc so of course I decided to jump right in with one on Insane difficulty.

Gird your loins for this is going to be an image dump of my BGEE marathon. I'll have smaller updated from this point on while Bhaalette lives.

Bhaalette does the usual Candlekeep quests and of course here we go

Dealt with by Sleep, the best spell for a very long time.

Along the way we defeat our first LICH!

Somewhere down the XP road we pick up Blindness, which is going to be another staple in our arsenal as it remains useful for far longer than Sleep, prevents people from attacking you and even spellcasters cannot target you, as evidenced here by the lovely Sleep-immune but Blindness-prone lightning-slinging Silke.

Fun fact: a quarterstaff gives you enough reach to bludgeon blinded creatures to death without them pinpointing your location.

We run into an ambush I don't really remember...

And deal with it in a way that would make Khalid proud.

Here's my brilliant strategy at play - incapacitate enemies and hit them with a stick until dead.

Here's a backup strategy when you mess up and run out of spells. Firebreath, baby!

Melicamp lives! :henget:

We Blind Greywolf and hit him with a stick to death. The EE adds the Emeralds to Ellesime's eyes and they will glitter on occasion. Pretty creepy looking at night.

After faffing around for XP Bhaalette jumps right into the main quest and liberates the Nashkel Mines. Forgot to take a screenshot of a Firebreath taking out the vast majority of Mulahey's minions. Anyway, we run across Nimbul and finally get our hands on a scroll of Find Familiar.

Our CN alignment comes into effect and Bhaalette gets a kitty! :3:

Cats are awesome familiars for many reasons. They can scout, find traps and, more importantly, pickpocket your inventory to act as mini bags of holding!

They are also little murder machines the likes of which would make Bhaal proud. Here's our little fluffster tearing an Ankheg up.

After clearing out the Ankheg nest Bhallette goes Basilisk hunting and something very, very important happens.

Her survivability now through the roof, Bhaalette tackles the Cloackwood Mines, picking up Melf's Minute Meteors along the way. These wyverns never stood a chance.

Heading to the Gate, Bhaalette deals with a bunch of sidequests and I screenshot my favorite dialog options in the original game.

A group of idiots crashes our drinking party. They are dealt with quickly by an onslaught of Fear, Web, the Wand of Paralyzation and Melf's Minute Meteors.

Bhaalette then heads out to Candlekeep and does the usual quests, nabs the last Tomes, goes back to the Gate and... something weird happens...

Every thief in the Guild, including the 3 entry areas, dies while spouting the same dialog (which I think is one of Bodhi's?). Black Lily is still around and happy to sell stuff and those three thieves in the screenshot pop out out of nowhere and don't respond at all.

The same thing happens to the Merchants and Bartenders at the Iron Throne.

I have no earthly idea what caused this bug. Nothing else seems to have been affected.

Undeterred, Bhaalette pushes forward, buffs up and confronts Sarevok. Of course I manage to aggro all 3 sidekicks.

By liberal use of the Wand of Paralyzation and Melf's Minute Meteors we whittle them all down and then finally drag Sarevok into the fray. After summoning a gazillion wolves and ogres and hobgoblins as distractions, the Wand of Instant Win finally connects and Bhaalette makes daddy proud by hitting big brother with a stick until he dies.

Wands are awesome and easily earn the MVP award collectively. I avoided most of the TotSC content because frankly I didn't feel like slogging through it and didn't need any of the item drops or money. :shrug:

Bhaalette has earned the Ironling, Purist, Double Damage, Librarian and Honorable Trader Honors. Party-based ones obviously don't apply.

Now onto SoD and shorter updates!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Celeste the solo Blade has claimed 4 of the 8 strongholds.

The Thieves Guild was first, as its by far the easiest. Neither Rayic or Mae'Var were any threat at all, Celeste is immune to a lot of spells when shes buffed.

Went on a little bit of a shopping spree once I got to 20 rep, including getting Azure-Edge. It proved its worth quickly against this vampire ambush.

I still have no idea why this group is in an otherwise unremarkable house in the Bridge District. They were killed with ease.

The Trademeet/Druid Grove quest was next on the list of stronghold quests. It would be more difficult if SCS didn't enable fireshield spells to block insect plague, but I'll take any advantage I can. I'd have the same issue if I was playing a Druid after all, at least SCS is fair like that.

Clearing the De'Arnise Keep followed immediately after Trademeet. The Stonefire axe was key here, it made easy work of the trolls. Tor'Gal proved to be quite tough, but hes not invincible. Once he was dead, finishing off his remaining allies was simple.

Lastly, the Windspear Hills. The first "ogre" I killed got Celeste to level 24, and HLA's. (Picked Use Any Item first, of course.) Golems with massive resistance to physical damage are boring to fight, luckily Adamantite Golems can't fit through doorways.

With SCS Improved Vampires, the pack of elder and ancient vampires in this room is by far the most annoying encounter to fight in the entire game, it's genuinely awful. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that as that component failed to install, so they were much more manageable here and died fairly quickly to Azure-Edge.

Despite having run out of buffs fighting golems, Conster was not as tough as I expected. He didn't have many damaging spells, so it was just a matter of time once he exhausted his magic.

Finishing 4 stronghold quests gets me one of the 2 bonus merchants. Luckily I got the one whose best items are not moved elsewhere.

Next up is either more stronghold quests, or getting to Spellhold. Either way I'll be facing enemy HLA's, can't put them off any longer.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Which infinite stacking mod do you people use for your ammunition and potion management?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cigaw posted:

Which infinite stacking mod do you people use for your ammunition and potion management?

The one in Tweaks Anthology has one.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Sigh. Ayeol the Sorceress is dead, I tried to use Minsc's berserk ability to counter Basileuss' hold spells, but he attacked the peaceful skeletons instead. So the rest of the party got pin-cushioned by heavy crossbow bolts.

A new champion arises, however:

Dalam the Fighter/Cleric may have body odour issues, but he's healthy as an ox with the addition of Buckley's buckler.

He's successfully cleared the Nashkel Mines and is currently procrastinating on picking up his dead party member's things after making the mistake of resting in the Firewine ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Many thanks!
----------------------

Bhaalette, the Solo Dragon Disciple has defeated another Lich and is now dealing with this week's threat to the Sword Coast!

The starting dungeon has a bunch of undead, but we have a secret weapon to deal with it:

One scroll allows for 2 hours of Wand of Fireballing large groups of annoying undead back to full death. It is a godsend.

I also discover an interesting hard to repeat bug feature after having our kitty pick-pocket our inventory.

That's right, kitty has wands :black101:. Somehow. No idea how that happened. Best I can figure out, the first items the familiar took from the inventory were equipped on its quick-access bar and somehow became usable. I had kitty go around shooting lightning for a bit and it was awesome. Alas, I couldn't really repeat the bug once the first dungeon was over. :(:

Anyway, Bhaalette kills the undead dead and through amazing foresight determines her foe is protected from fire. She deals with it accordingly.

Back at the Ducal Palace, kitty prevents us from getting out of bed so we stand on it while talking to Imoen.

Our money gone, we raid the treasury, kill Korlasz and do the initial quests in the Gate. Duke Jannath explains that Imoen apparently didn't look at the XP tables before Dual-Classing and now needs to wait for a higher XP cap.

Oh yeah, we put Bhaalette's innate fire resistance to good use by dealing with this dude.

Heh, turn down the heat. :smuggo:

David Warner shows up and I get all warm inside listening to his voice :allears:

Bhaalette then hits the road and helps a bunch of dorfs with their undead issues. This is made much more palatable by use of another wonderful scroll.

Bronze sentries, however, have ridiculous resistance to magic damage so we apply the tried and true strategy of using web and hitting it with a stick until dead.

The Protection from Undead scroll expires before the showdown with the Dorf Lich, but we deal with him by use of the Secret Revealed and a Potion of Quickness coupled with a Sling and 19 STR. Dude redies fast and we're quick enough to destroy the phylactery before he respawns.

Destroying the decoy phylacteries nets a couple of gems. I do like this one, though.

FILACTURRY :haw:

We had outside and sum it up to our dorf friend before striking camp and heading out.

Bhaalette is now killing a gazillion Trolls after stopping by a local pool to relax.