Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucky is up on Hulu. It’s a pretty solid flick and a nice farewell for Harry Dean Stanton.

And a nice David Lynch performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucky is up on Hulu. It’s a pretty solid flick and a nice farewell for Harry Dean Stanton.

It's a very zen movie.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Alright, I'm getting Hulu now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If anyone has a Fire they use for streaming, the new IMDB Freedive channel is pretty decent. Not a huge selection yet, but some stuff I haven't seen on other services, and it's free w/ integrated ads. Hopefully they roll it out to non-Fire devices too at some point.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

rngd in the womb posted:

Alright, I'm getting Hulu now.

It also has Rick and Morty and all the crime procedurals you can possibly stand without getting actual ptsd, pay for no commercial or you'll go loving insane

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It also has Rick and Morty and all the crime procedurals you can possibly stand without getting actual ptsd, pay for no commercial or you'll go loving insane

And Agent Carter and Venture Bros.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea why people hate on Hulu anyways. It's a good service that is well worth the price. There is an absolute fuckton of content and it's the only streaming service where you can actually keep up to date on TV shows. No Ads is the same price as netflix and cheaper than HBO which has like 1% of the content of Hulu.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hulu is really, aggressively anti-adblock and much harder to circumvent than most sites.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I have no idea why people hate on Hulu anyways. It's a good service that is well worth the price. There is an absolute fuckton of content and it's the only streaming service where you can actually keep up to date on TV shows. No Ads is the same price as netflix and cheaper than HBO which has like 1% of the content of Hulu.

I know it's something we mention often in this thread, but with Netflix's ever-decreasing selection of non-original content I get far more use out of Hulu these days than anything else. Their TV selection is fantastic. Their movie selection is more or less on par with Netflix in terms of quantity, but they seem to get more cult and indie stuff. Their exclusive documentaries are great. The only real advantage Netflix still has over Hulu is with original content, but Hulu's slowly getting better at it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hulu is really, aggressively anti-adblock and much harder to circumvent than most sites.

Then just pay the 12 bux a month? Not being able to game the system seems like a really weird complaint to me. If no ads cost more than other streaming services maybe I'd sympathize but it doesn't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Then just pay the 12 bux a month? Not being able to game the system seems like a really weird complaint to me. If no ads cost more than other streaming services maybe I'd sympathize but it doesn't.

Yeah, complaining you can’t give yourself a free upgrade to the no-ad from the ad-free, which has had half off/90 percent off seems a bit much.

The UI, on the other hand, got a revamp that made it boiling dogshit about a year ago, that kind of sucked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah their UI took a huge dump a while back. It's perfectly manageable though once you get used to it. It's not like a single streaming service has a UI that isn't crap anyways.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nothing will ever be as bad as the UI in Shudder’s Xbone app

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hulu was pretty cool when it had rotating free Criterion movies and I could VPN in from New Zealand.
I'll always remember those Jacques Demy and Oshima weeks :)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it's something we mention often in this thread, but with Netflix's ever-decreasing selection of non-original content I get far more use out of Hulu these days than anything else. Their TV selection is fantastic. Their movie selection is more or less on par with Netflix in terms of quantity, but they seem to get more cult and indie stuff. Their exclusive documentaries are great. The only real advantage Netflix still has over Hulu is with original content, but Hulu's slowly getting better at it.

Agreed. I barely use Netflix anymore because I don’t care about Marvel movies and their original stuff is hot griddled poo poo more often than not. It’s like I pay money every month to have access to The Office. I should probably just buy the box set.

If Hulu brought back the Criterion Collection it would be the best service on the market, ui aside.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Netflix has been pretty slick about taking me riiiight to the edge of cancelling and then there's always something that makes me not do it. Obviously a part of it is my own neuroses but any given month there's usually like that one thing that I really want to check out and that's all it takes to keep the sub going.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hulu's ads are a lot more varied now, so they don't bother me at all. Even before that it only bothered me a little because seeing the same ad twice in a row was annoying.

I kinda like having the ad breaks, it gives me a minute to grab a fresh beer, or snack, or whatever

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Hulu's ads are a lot more varied now, so they don't bother me at all. Even before that it only bothered me a little because seeing the same ad twice in a row was annoying.

I kinda like having the ad breaks, it gives me a minute to grab a fresh beer, or snack, or whatever

It’s funny how their ad system has no problems with showing me an ad for a show I’m watching

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hulu is good for TV stuff since they're owned in part by the networks and they've pulled a lot of stuff from Netflix, but Netflix has a much better selection of exclusive stuff that they produce/distribute. Network TV shows are basically all I use Hulu for at this point, I don't think I've ever watched a movie or any of their original stuff outside of Castle Rock.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hulu is good for TV stuff since they're owned in part by the networks and they've pulled a lot of stuff from Netflix, but Netflix has a much better selection of exclusive stuff that they produce/distribute. Network TV shows are basically all I use Hulu for at this point, I don't think I've ever watched a movie or any of their original stuff outside of Castle Rock.

Hulu actually does have a pretty impressive selection of movies, best thing to do is just look up a list every month or so and then manually add what you want to a watchlist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s funny how their ad system has no problems with showing me an ad for a show I’m watching

Hah :same:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Netflix's originals are what keeps me going, somehow every time I start considering dropping them they drop an original that I like.

I've noticed that lately I use Hulu a hell of a lot more, but I use Netflix longer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hulu actually does have a pretty impressive selection of movies, best thing to do is just look up a list every month or so and then manually add what you want to a watchlist.

My biggest frustration with Hulu was not being able to easily add things to a watch list or access a watch list, especially on the website.

Like my dream Hulu experience, which they get close to in a way, would be to have my list of TV shows and allow me to watch episodes sequentially, or a shuffle function that plays the episodes of a show sequentially, but will switch between shows for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Like my dream Hulu experience, which they get close to in a way, would be to have my list of TV shows and allow me to watch episodes sequentially, or a shuffle function that plays the episodes of a show sequentially, but will switch between shows for me.

Oh god yes this!

Also a "pick for me" button on Netflix (or Hulu).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, Russian Doll was so loving good. The ending seems so unfair and yet so perfect.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iron Crowned posted:

Also a "pick for me" button on Netflix (or Hulu).

Netflix used to have something like this but it was an incredible flop that everyone hated because it was creepy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Netflix used to have something like this but it was an incredible flop that everyone hated because it was creepy.

There's no need for it to be running on some fancy algorithm, just give me a option to have it randomly choose something from my existing watchlist. Sometimes I just don't feel like running circles in my own head for 15 minutes deciding what to watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

There's no need for it to be running on some fancy algorithm, just give me a option to have it randomly choose something from my existing watchlist. Sometimes I just don't feel like running circles in my own head for 15 minutes deciding what to watch.

Exactly.

I would absolutely love it if I could do this.

Hell, if Letterboxd did this, I'd be happy.

As (some of) you know, during the October challenge, I'll just make a complete list of what I'm willing to watch and then use a randomizer to pick what I watch. Sometimes just getting a random suggestion will immediately give me an idea what I am in the mood for.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo, Russian Doll was so loving good. The ending seems so unfair and yet so perfect.

It is really great. And you described the ending almost perfectly.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Basebf555 posted:

I use Discogs to catalog my record collection. It has a feature that you can pull up your collection, shake your phone and it will display a random selection from your collection. It's great for when I don't want to spend a bunch of time going through hundreds of records.

If I had a phone app that I could tie in to all my streaming services and just shake it to pull a selection from my watchlist I would use it extensively. The amount of time I waste cycling through all my options between services is a bit embarrassing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Exactly, I'm even open to it going outside my list. Let me scroll down to the genre I'm feeling like and just start something in my preferred language.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

If I had a phone app that I could tie in to all my streaming services and just shake it to pull a selection from my watchlist I would use it extensively. The amount of time I waste cycling through all my options between services is a bit embarrassing.

I've actually been in the habit recently of perusing my various watchlists at work before I leave for the day, so that I have something in mind when I get home. It's pretty sad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I've actually been in the habit recently of perusing my various watchlists at work before I leave for the day, so that I have something in mind when I get home. It's pretty sad.

I have a calendar in my office where I write down all of my local indie theater's release schedule and special events, and I peruse Letterboxd and the forums during my last hour of work while things are winding down to figure out what I'm going to watch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Who doesn't subscribe to Netflix due to their originals? Their movie selection has been poo poo for almost half a decade now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who doesn't subscribe to Netflix due to their originals? Their movie selection has been poo poo for almost half a decade now.

You fool! The Netflix Defender will be here soon

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I was debating dropping Netflix because of their price hike and the fact that I hate 98% of the original content, and I knew the only thing I'd miss right now would be the office. Then I found a locale station over antenna that plays a 2 hour block of The Office each night. Guess that made the decision for me.

And Hulu has Always Sunny

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

I would absolutely love it if I could do this.

Hell, if Letterboxd did this, I'd be happy.

You can (sort of) do this on Letterboxd if you go to your watchlist, choose a streaming service at the top, and then change it to sort by shuffle. You might need to be a pro member first though, I'm not quite sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Iron Crowned posted:

You fool! The Netflix Defender will be here soon

They canceled that already. All that's left is releasing the last season of Jessica Jones.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i kind of forget that netflix will often remove many movies that you have watched in the past from the menus that you surf (other than the "previously watched menu"). my gf made her own account, and i was surfing its menus and going "holy poo poo there is actually a lot of very good movies on here. theyve just been removed from my menu".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, Netflix dumps anything you’ve already watched into the very bottom row of each category when you’re browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i also watch netflix on my xbone app which i imagine isnt very great