Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gahhh stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I said come in! posted:

For Blizzard, we know they are working on multiple new projects that haven't been announced yet. So it'll be a lot longer than a year. They've abandoned Heroes of the Storm, and Diablo III, both games are apparently in maintenance mode. We know Diablo 3 is no longer being worked on and multiple expansion packs were canceled behind the scenes, their team is working on Diablo 4, and Immortal (mobile lol).

Blizzard could probably just survive off of only updating and working on World of Warcraft if they wanted.

I feel like it's a symptom of the insane industry bubble that these massive dev studios can't seem to get a AAA game to the point of even being able to market. The last game Blizzard released was Overwatch in early 2016, how is it this world-class dev studio has gone nearly 3 years with nothing to show for it but a lovely mobile game that they basically didn't even make?

There needs to be more oversight on these projects so that they don't just bloat and spin their wheels for years at a time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

They'll re-release Warcraft 3 and be on top of the RTS genre soon, at least

I am so excited for this remaster. Warcraft 3 was awesome but the original version has not aged well for the UI (just updating to support modern day resolutions will be great) and controls. I am excited for WoW Classic as well and Blizzard doesn't have to do anything with it if no one plays because it's only accessible to people who already have a WoW sub. I am hoping eventually for a Burning Crusade classic server because that is my favorite point in WoW.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm also excited for WoW classic but just because I'm jackass who wants to see people immediately bounce off when they get exactly what they asked for.

My feeling about modern Blizzard (especially with how they're handling WoW) is that they take a large devoted playerbase as a given and start right in with the money grubbing. They're not really wrong, either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope wow classic is big, if only to encourage square to include ff11 in your ff14 sub

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Do I want to go through the effort of finishing Metal Gear Solid V the Phantom Pain? I never finished this game and I own it on PS4 and PC.

i finished part one and didn't really feel interested or invested in playing any more

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm also excited for WoW classic but just because I'm jackass who wants to see people immediately bounce off when they get exactly what they asked for.

My feeling about modern Blizzard (especially with how they're handling WoW) is that they take a large devoted playerbase as a given and start right in with the money grubbing. They're not really wrong, either.

I know i'll be one of the few people that actually sticks with WoW Classic. I prefer WoW at least up to the end of Wrath of the Lich King. I feel like WoW after that point got extremely bloated. I can't tolerate the game in its current form and feel like it's too overwhelming and complex. At 120 levels, the game is massively huge and Blizzard would benefit greatly from just restarting and creating World of Warcraft 2.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like the pervading sentiment that delay > buggy/bad game has been a double-edged sword for a lot of devs. They seem to be a lot quicker these days to lose huge swaths of time because they decided to scrap stuff and start over rather than just sticking to their course and getting something out there.

Not to mention everyone feeling like the only way to survive is if you find a way to monetize your games on the level of Hearthstone/Fortnite. It's clearly not true (Sony has done a great job of demonstrating this) but there are still a ton of studios that I'm sure scrap ideas constantly because they didn't have enough places to insert monetization.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Hearthstone still the most popular card game or was it sent to the shadow realm/verse

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Hearthstone still the most popular card game or was it sent to the shadow realm/verse
its artifact now

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I believe it still does quite well for Blizzard. It's just not a market with much competition, especially since Artifact crashed and burned hilariously.

I've heard the new Magic the Gathering game is supposed to be quite good, but I don't know that they necessarily eat into each other's market shares.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I don't know about popularity, but I've been really enjoying MTG:Arena

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can’t go back to lands, being mana starved or mana flooded (I think that’s the term for drawing too many lands) is poison to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

I don't know about popularity, but I've been really enjoying MTG:Arena

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Activision really should have released Blackout as a free, stand-alone product. Use it to up-sell people into the standard Black Ops 4 modes and monetize with cosmetics.

It's probably too late now with Apex, but they definitely could have taken a chunk out of that BR pie if they had removed the financial barrier to people trying Blackout. There's just no reason to make it part of the premium Black Ops package, then you're only getting CoD fans instead of hitting the massive Fortnite fanbase.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

homeless snail posted:

its artifact now

Artifact isn't even on Steam Stats anymore because so few people play it.

Also MTG Arena owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Activision really should have released Blackout as a free, stand-alone product. Use it to up-sell people into the standard Black Ops 4 modes and monetize with cosmetics.

It's probably too late now with Apex, but they definitely could have taken a chunk out of that BR pie if they had removed the financial barrier to people trying Blackout. There's just no reason to make it part of the premium Black Ops package, then you're only getting CoD fans instead of hitting the massive Fortnite fanbase.

What's worst is that Black Out will only last a single year, but the thing is that I think people expect Battle Royales to be long time supported titles. The next Call of Duty will come out this fall though and then that will be the end of updates for Black Out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

It's still the most popular and it will continue to dominate on mobile even if MTG Arena succeeds on PC.

I checked Artifact's Twitch numbers recently and more people are streaming Just Dance

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I fell behind on this thread. Sundance was fun and now I have a cold. I know I'm overdue on the contest but I'll get to that soon enough.

Here'e Lady Maria of my Catte

What's been going on?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why did Artifact fail?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Why did Artifact fail?

It's not fun to play. It's not fun to watch.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Why did Artifact fail?

Literally everything about it sucked

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's still the most popular and it will continue to dominate on mobile even if MTG Arena succeeds on PC.

I checked Artifact's Twitch numbers recently and more people are streaming Just Dance

I know what you mean, but Just Dance is insanely popular. Case in point: Just Dance 2019 - Wii Standard Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDD9CPN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XshxCb3ETE7QH

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

physical magic the gathering price points for a market saturated with alternative monetization schemes was a big one i think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i assume gartic is half garlic half arctic

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Garfield’s tic

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The worst thing about physical MTG is that it has to use the same card back that was ugly even in 1995

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jay Rust posted:

The worst thing about physical MTG is that it has to use the same card back that was ugly even in 1995

The curse of the physical TCG, you can never change your card back. Though didn't they take the "Deckmaster" part off it a few years ago?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watching somebody stream a gacha game sounds like the most depressing existence

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Relax Or DIE posted:

They'll re-release Warcraft 3 and be on top of the RTS genre soon, at least

Are they releasing a good rts game alongside WC3 or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*Stands up*

*motions for silence*

*clears throat*

Fartifact.

*sits down*

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are they releasing a good rts game alongside WC3 or something?

Yes, it will be compatible with the old mods so Dota will still work :hehe:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

*Stands up*

*motions for silence*

*clears throat*

Fartifact.

*sits down*

:patriot:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, it will be compatible with the old mods so Dota will still work :hehe:

Its almost certainly not going to happen, but if Dota Classic ends up hurting Dota 2 it would be loving hilarious.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

You're right but I've been playing BO4 for blackout and I'm surprised how bad the multiplayer/zombies modes are

I haven't played a CoD since Black Ops 2 so I don't know when they made this change but the maps are absolutely tiny now (and since there's no cooldown on respawn you keep respawning behind/to the side of people) Zombies takes forever and gets old after like wave 15/both modes make me wish I was playing Splatoon 2 instead

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm fixin' to trade in a couple games worth about $20 altogether, and I don't know what to do with that. Tell me thread, is there a PS4 game around that price I should be buying right now or should I just convert it into wallet funds for a rainy day?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

*Stands up*

*motions for silence*

*clears throat*

Fartifact.

*sits down*

if I may...Fartifart

May 8, 2006

haveblue posted:

*Stands up*

*motions for silence*

*clears throat*

Fartifact.

*sits down*

shoutout to the people who dismissed all the issues with monetization pre-release because the game was just gonna be that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Easily enough covered up by obvious hentai card sleeves so I don't see the problem.