Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If you were playing from a true numerical standpoint picking dragoon would be very stupid considering they have less potency in an entire combo than samurai does with 2 spells they get at level 4 (and no positionals)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Dragoons are cool because they use disembowel for me. Battle litany and dragon sight are cool too I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

strong bird posted:

If you were playing from a true numerical standpoint picking dragoon would be very stupid considering they have less potency in an entire combo than samurai does with 2 spells they get at level 4 (and no positionals)

Yes, but DRG also adds like 500 DPS to every other person in the raid.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

BrightWing posted:

Question. What exactly makes Noct AST so unappealing for raid? My team has a WHM that really would rather not switch (and we're big on everyone playing what makes them happy), so I was just curious about the specifics. I know it doesn't have the shear healing output of a SCH but I figure the only time you're really seriously running Noct AST is with a WHM and WHM just shits heals so I figure it kinda just works out? Tell me more.

E: Edit for clarity

Diurnal pumps out much more raw healing, meaning you have to spend less time and MP casting heals and spending more time and MP pushing damage. Shields are nice in some circumstances (stopping people from getting one-shot, for instance), but for the most part you're better off taking the regens. It also synergizes with their buff-extending spells - increasing HoT duration increases the heal, but there isn't really any benefit to extending the shield's duration.

And yeah, Noct shields are bigger than SCH shields (aside from Adlo crits). The single-target ones are also instant cast, which is nice.

The good news is that Diurnal HoTs stack with WHM HoTs, so you can experiment with the two sects and see which works better for your static/whatever fight you're doing.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

strong bird posted:

We provide quite a bit of rdps, though. How much depends on the rest of the party comp, granted. But everything is fairly well balanced in terms of overall contribution.

Doesn't Samurai have positionals for building kenki? I don't know a whole lot about that job yet, honestly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zack Ater posted:

We provide quite a bit of rdps, though. How much depends on the rest of the party comp, granted. But everything is fairly well balanced in terms of overall contribution.

Doesn't Samurai have positionals for building kenki? I don't know a whole lot about that job yet, honestly.

Gekko and Kasha have positionals but it doesn't affect the potency, only kenki generation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zack Ater posted:

SAM have two positionals that grant 5 kenki regardless, or 10 total for the positional. It's 40 kenki off the whole rotation, or 50 if you score positional bonuses as well. It's not crushing if you miss.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kenki basically converts directly to potency though between kaiten and shiten.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think I worked SAM positionals out to be basically the exact same as any other, 40 potency or something.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Yes, but DRG also adds like 500 DPS to every other person in the raid.

That isn't their first combo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

strong bird posted:

That isn't their first combo.

What?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mymla posted:

I think I worked SAM positionals out to be basically the exact same as any other, 40 potency or something.

It's a little higher because 5 kenki is 1/5th of a Shiten (60 potency,) 1/3rd a seigan (66.666 etc. potency,) 1/10th a Guren (80 potency,) and 1/5th a Kyuten (15 30 x 3+ targets or 45 90+ potency.) Edit: Whoops, good catch brainfart on my end vv
Which makes sense considering you only have two of them and they get full combo damage regardless.

SAM is good and fun.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 7, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

SAM have two positionals that grant 5 kenki regardless, or 10 total for the positional. It's 40 kenki off the whole rotation, or 50 if you score positional bonuses as well. It's not crushing if you miss.

True, but a sam who ignores positions completely is missing out on a lot of kenkis over the course of a fight. It's a lot more forgiving of occasional stabs to the wrong side than other melee jobs, but it's worth it to try to hit them as much as possible anyway.

EponymousMrYar posted:

1/5th a Kyuten (30 x 3+ targets or 90+ potency.)

Don't cut my buddy Kyuten short!

quote:

SAM is good and fun.

This is correct.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 7, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah actually looking at the numbers missing even 4 positionals as SAM is a pretty hefty hit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Personally I go shields for trash pulls, regen for bosses, and whatever the opposite of my partner is in 8/24 man.

For cards, generally: royal road spire and ewer, spread spear and balance, minor arcana arrow and bole.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was expecting one of his silly videos, but this Larryzaur class overview is actually quite good (and actually serious):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQf6H7ESo4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Dang that is actually a super cool short overview of each class and their playstyles. Put that in the OP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The :yikes: emote but a lalafell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:whitewater:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My eyes rolled right the gently caress out of my head.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
this is why redditors still think the garleans are the good guys

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Final Fantasy has always had problems with people finding the bad guys much cooler than the collection of whiny emo babies that are the usual protagonists.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

"Lol imaginary gods" in a setting with evil space wizards and a war between divine crystals of light and darkness

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Gekko and Kasha have positionals but it doesn't affect the potency, only kenki generation.

Thats just potency stored up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Final Fantasy has always had problems with people finding the bad guys much cooler than the collection of whiny emo babies that are the usual protagonists.
That's literally everything because nerds have a mean fascist streak and will always root for the evil empire in the Hugo Boss uniforms and cool mechs. See: Star Wars

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Glagha posted:

"Lol imaginary gods" in a setting with evil space wizards and a war between divine crystals of light and darkness

no no you see those are real gods, like jordan peterson

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

So have you ever played any Final Fantasy games, or...?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cythereal posted:

yeah i can't think of a single final fantasy protagonist people like,

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I have so many things I want to say to this, but I'll just :stare: and be done with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trasson posted:

So have you ever played any Final Fantasy games, or...?

X was my introduction to the series. And I played 7 last year because friends insisted.

I loved X's world design, but the ostensible protagonist was one of the worst video game protagonists I've ever seen (unless you subscribe to the theory that Yuna's the real protagonist, which I feel has merit).

X-2 is the only single player Final Fantasy I've really enjoyed across the board.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I genuinely wish I understood why people hated Tidus. There are so many worse characters from X. :(

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tidus is cool. Tidus has always been cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This dragon really needs a nidhug.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I genuinely wish I understood why people hated Tidus. There are so many worse characters from X. :(
The laughing scene went way over people's heads, is mostly why

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's because he's a jock

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Is there a way to find all of the Blue+ Quests without going to each individual area?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DontMindMe posted:

Is there a way to find all of the Blue+ Quests without going to each individual area?
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content should have most if not all of them

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

homeless snail posted:

The laughing scene went way over people's heads, is mostly why
There's this.

Relax Or DIE posted:

It's because he's a jock
Also this.

Also he's rather dumb and doesn't really come into his own until the latter half of the game where he stops being a dumb jock and starts being the actual protagonist.

At least he's not dumb enough to have one of his most uttered phrases be 'Huh!?' though.
(that's the ff4 sequel's protagonist by the way.)
(his name is Ceodore)
(he says huh a lot)
(it's not very good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He's definitely got some pent up daddy issues and his English voice was kinda grating but I would never call him a whiner. (Yuna really is the main character of X though)