Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thundarr posted:

The bit about the 12 not being summonable gets lampshaded regularly so I fully expect that, at some point in a future expansion, it is going to either happen and there will be Dire Consequences or we'll learn the Terrible Secret behind exactly why we can't (and it'll be more than just "they don't exist lol"). But to date they have canonically never been successfully summoned.
Zodiac stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Zodiac stones.

We already had the Lucavi in Ivalice though I suppose they could double dip.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Phone posted:

i'm surprised there hasn't been an ff14 gang tag yet

Depending on what we come up with I'd definitely get one. We should throw some ideas around, see if something sticks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any glam like the Weaver's Swallowtail for anything besides Weaver?

The butler's top, though that's cash shop and male only, and uh... the casting/healing i180 sets, I guess?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edmond Dantes posted:

Depending on what we come up with I'd definitely get one. We should throw some ideas around, see if something sticks.

The Fracture Friends

e: or The Protect Pals

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Fracture Friends

Godslayers

/Fake edit: too edgy? :v:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Summoning being easy is relatively new to Eorzea. Louiseax wasn't trying to summon the Twelve, he was trying to invoke their power without summoning them There's even a MSQ where the Ascians are trying to get some kids to summon Rhalgr, and Ramuh may just be a cultural diversion from him.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was expecting one of his silly videos, but this Larryzaur class overview is actually quite good (and actually serious):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQf6H7ESo4

I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't just Larry wanking off the to the fact that he has Ultimate Dreadwyrm weapons for every job under the guise of making an actually-useful guide, but it's useful, so I will pass it on while giving Larry the stinkeye.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ironslave posted:

Summoning being easy is relatively new to Eorzea. Louiseax wasn't trying to summon the Twelve, he was trying to invoke their power without summoning them There's even a MSQ where the Ascians are trying to get some kids to summon Rhalgr, and Ramuh may just be a cultural diversion from him.
Yeah it used to take like entire major civic rituals and now apparently random sad elezen can pull it off with a running start. Or really angry courtesans.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edmond Dantes posted:

Piss off, kupo
Warrior of Light/Darkness (gif that changes)
Dad of Light

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The lancer questline is incredibly bad, but I hit 30 so once I do this one it's on to Dragoon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"muh courage" - Foulques

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"muh courage" - Foulques
Him backing up in terror while yelling about courage was a pretty great death, not gonna lie, but literally the only good moment in this whole thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The lancer questline is incredibly bad, but I hit 30 so once I do this one it's on to Dragoon.

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, they sent me to Coerthas, back to the Shroud to talk to one person, and then back to Coerthas. I haven't fought anything yet. So uh looks like it's gonna suck.

edit: When in the timeline does this take place?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The WoL eventually needs to abdicate to the normal folks to handle the issue of Primals, etc., since the Ascians could all be killed but that won't stop some anime thing from gettin' real mad and spawning a demon that can destroy a capitol.

Maybe ShB will explore what would happen if the WoL said "ugh no I'm not solving this bullshit for you" and see how the world reacts to big problems considering the WoL is basically a god. Would Eorzeans be good guys without the WoL to handle their problems?

It's very convenient for Eorzeans to say to the Empire "no our Psyker problem Primal problem is under control" When they have a god running around putting down Primals whenever they popped up. That is surely a permanent solution.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, they sent me to Coerthas, back to the Shroud to talk to one person, and then back to Coerthas. I haven't fought anything yet. So uh looks like it's gonna suck.

Unless otherwise explicitly notified, assume every quest takes place around the time that it would have been current content. So ARR around level 30, or when Titan was going on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Edmond Dantes posted:

the content respecters

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

jokes posted:

The WoL eventually needs to abdicate to the normal folks to handle the issue of Primals, etc., since the Ascians could all be killed but that won't stop some anime thing from gettin' real mad and spawning a demon that can destroy a capitol.

Maybe ShB will explore what would happen if the WoL said "ugh no I'm not solving this bullshit for you" and see how the world reacts to big problems considering the WoL is basically a god. Would Eorzeans be good guys without the WoL to handle their problems?

It's very convenient for Eorzeans to say to the Empire "no our Psyker problem Primal problem is under control" When they have a god running around putting down Primals whenever they popped up. That is surely a permanent solution.

This has actually been brought up in the website fiction- they've got other echo-users doing the main fighting with back up that's out of tempering range handling primal fights. This is part of what Fordola's doing as part of her sentence.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

This has actually been brought up in the website fiction- they've got other echo-users doing the main fighting with back up that's out of tempering range handling primal fights. This is part of what Fordola's doing as part of her sentence.
Warrior of Light proves it's doable the first time, then puts out their clear videos on tomestone for review by the greater Eorzean public.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Isn't it canon that Ramuh is a Sylph interpretation of Rhalgr? That proves that the Twelve are summonable in some aspect.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The job quests are basically concurrent with the MSQ at that level. Also the DRG quests are pretty loving terrible except the Stormblood ones which are more :3: than anything else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Isn't it canon that Ramuh is a Sylph interpretation of Rhalgr? That proves that the Twelve are summonable in some aspect.
Any of the Twelve should be summonable because people aren't summoning actual creatures, they're summoning the images of them in their heads, which then strive to maintain their existence by forcing their followers to obtain souls and crystals for them.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Primals need two things to be summoned: crystals to make the body and prayers to shape their mind. The primals we fight are just really powerful magic golems, though some Elder Primals like Odin are different and we don't entirely know whats up with them. The reason Summoners work is that they make the primal-egis out of their own thoughts and our own aether that gets tinged by the primals we fight.

Though they said that once a primal is summoned the exact same one can't be summoned at the same time, so after they're made they have some continuity once we send them back to Hydaelyn which also gets pretty weird.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Company of Heroes also spent about a decade between the Battle of Silvertear Skies and the Calamity out there murdering primals without a single echo user between them. It's doable, it just involves horrible slaughter and human wave tactics.

jokes posted:

The Empire is the entire reason there is a Primal problem to begin with, the whole thing is an Ascian-powered engine for conflict and summonings. The first part of a permanent solution is getting rid of the Ascians and wrecking the remainder of their schemes.

The other part is probably fixing whatever's in Silvertear Lake. We see Ifrit and Titan and a whole bunch of others were imprisoned in there and escape when the Garlean flagship crashes and explodes in the 1.0 cinematic, and they only start getting summoned after that (and after the Ascians go around stealing some aether-collecting ancient artifacts to help power the rituals, but it seems like they don't need those any more). Dealing with this whole deal (and whatever mysterious force stopped Gaius from proceeding into Eorzea after conquering Ala Mhigo) was going to be the direction the story headed in 1.0, so who knows when or if we'll ever get back to it now, though.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Canine Conspiracy posted:

The Empire is the entire reason there is a Primal problem to begin with, the whole thing is an Ascian-powered engine for conflict and summonings. The first part of a permanent solution is getting rid of the Ascians and wrecking the remainder of their schemes.

The other part is probably fixing whatever's in Silvertear Lake. We see Ifrit and Titan and a whole bunch of others were imprisoned in there and escape when the Garlean flagship crashes and explodes in the 1.0 cinematic, and they only start getting summoned after that (and after the Ascians go around stealing some aether-collecting ancient artifacts to help power the rituals, but it seems like they don't need those any more). Dealing with this whole deal (and whatever mysterious force stopped Gaius from proceeding into Eorzea after conquering Ala Mhigo) was going to be the direction the story headed in 1.0, so who knows when or if we'll ever get back to it now, though.

Silvertear just had a whole bunch of aether locked underneath it by Hydaelyn, and when the Garleans broke it summoning just became 10x easier. It was probably gonna be something different when the cinematic was made but that was a long time ago and they changed their minds. Then after Bahamut is released and then dispersed, the aether he had locked up in the moon with him got set free and summoning became even easier. The garleans did both those things, so they've been loving things up primal wise for awhile now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They were probably not literally imprisoned in Silvertear anyway, I think its just a visual metaphor for aether being dispersed throughout Eorzea. Summoning existed before the Battle of Silvertear Skies, it was just harder to do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ibblebibble posted:

This is just a fan theory, because they're old dudes aspected with lightning.

So is TG Cid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's mentioned as a possibility in encyclopedia eorzea 2 so it's been considered in-universe as well

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is just a fan theory, because they're old dudes aspected with lightning.

So is TG Cid.

TG Cid is Rhalgr is 100% believable.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Fan Fest 2018 Interview posted:

GE: Speaking of stuff we talked about before that may have fallen through the cracks… Do you have any updates on the so-called mysterious primal? There was the idea that right after Gaius took Ala Mhigo, he was going to keep going, but a primal halted his advance. It could have happened in ’57; could have happened in ’62.

Koji: That was related to the whole, “What lies deep beneath Silvertear!?” Yes, something stopped his advance. And then there was the trailer beam, tons of primals shooting out. And then there was the seal. What is it sealing? What was going on in there? A lot of this is where the 1.0 story was supposed to go, and there’s a lore reason for that.

When the Calamity happened, it caused a lot of changes to Hydaelyn. Whether that was enough to seal off something that was already sealed, but the seal was getting weak, or… That I don’t know. There could be something like that. The hint was that Gaius was stopped for a reason, and that it was a powerful force. There’s a presence. It wasn’t just Midgardsormr there, it was more of a force, and I can’t say anything more, for now.

[...]

GE: Some things from 1.0, one serious, one humorous. Fans made a big deal out of this old line, Minfilia suggested that those who’d beheld the end of the Walker’s path seemed to her as though they’d seen something either too terrible or too shameful and they were traumatized. Should we be worried?

Koji: I don’t think you should be worried. This also kind of ties to the presence that stopped Gaius’s advance. It would have played out in that direction, and now I don’t think it’s going to. I don’t even know if that presence is still there. I’d have to ask Oda-san. It all kind of led to the endgame content that was supposed to wrap up the original.

It sounds like whatever 1.0 stuff was planned is at least still sort of canonical as of three months ago; enough that they can't talk about it, at least. And they've mentioned wanting to start wrapping up old storylines soon. So even if it's not a literal Primal Jail, there's definitely still something down there in the water. Probably. Maybe.

Then again, Koji also said we'd see the Heart of Sabik again before Stormblood and get more answers about Ramuh's past, so maybe don't charter the submarine just yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eorzea using Zapp Braningan tactics to deal with Primals is a hilariously dark bit of canon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eorzea using Zapp Braningan tactics to deal with Primals is a hilariously dark bit of canon.

WoL: "and what happened to those adventurers? To shreds you say? Well I should do something!

But I am already in my pajamas..."

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Any of the Twelve should be summonable because people aren't summoning actual creatures, they're summoning the images of them in their heads, which then strive to maintain their existence by forcing their followers to obtain souls and crystals for them.

That's the weird thing about the twelve, they're not summonable as far as we know. If they were we would've probably gotten Rhalgr instead of Shinryu when SLOPPEH died. So someone or something prevents them from being manifested as a primal.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bolow posted:

That's the weird thing about the twelve, they're not summonable as far as we know. If they were we would've probably gotten Rhalgr instead of Shinryu when SLOPPEH died. So someone or something prevents them from being manifested as a primal.

There are lots of reasons why we got Shinryu and not Rhalgr. The game itself goes over them: wanting a form that embodied the destruction wrought by the Calamity, using the draconic aether of the eyes, etc. The Twelve are likely as capable of being summoned as anything else people believe in enough and feed enough aether, considering the Ascians were trying to get Ala Mhigan refugees to do it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ironslave posted:

There are lots of reasons why we got Shinryu and not Rhalgr. The game itself goes over them: wanting a form that embodied the destruction wrought by the Calamity, using the draconic aether of the eyes, etc. The Twelve are likely as capable of being summoned as anything else people believe in enough and feed enough aether, considering the Ascians were trying to get Ala Mhigan refugees to do it.

But hasn't there also been a lot of poitns where people said "we tried to summon one of the twelve and it just didn't work"?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tashilicious posted:

But hasn't there also been a lot of poitns where people said "we tried to summon one of the twelve and it just didn't work"?

It's popped up enough times that there's Something Weird going on there.
And we know nothing concrete about that weirdness.

There's a line in Encylopedia Eorzea 1 that the Twelve were/are kicking around doing the mysterious wanderer thing to make the world a better place. Which would stop them from being summoned because they're already out there :v:

But we don't know if that's true. Heck, Godbert Manderville could be an incarnation of Nymeia herself and that could count for nixing summoning :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought the capitalism discussion was... I guess funny is the word. The end result seems like what a lovely god/capitalist would be proud of, so that theory does seem appropriate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Heck, Godbert Manderville could be an incarnation of Nymeia herself and that could count for nixing summoning :v:

"Could be".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really, really like the morbidity and hosed upness of the idea that we always "gather a group of adventurers" in primal fights because the WoL just strings along random people to fight and die for his/her battles.

If you take Squadron running dungeons as being canon, it could almost be true in any situation!

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 8, 2019