Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Don Gato posted:

How much can I invest in your bridge and what's the return on investment looking like? Is there an app?

It's called CROSSR, and subscribers to the Platinum Suspension Club can make the bridge lift at the tap of a button to make room for their yacht whenever they need it.

They also get 25% more Span Points at every toll crossing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Check out Full Story for the web, there are plenty of services for native apps. They all let whoever has access replay any session they want, often targeted by location, profile ID, device, scenario, etc. It’s creepy and pervasive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

VC's also manage to muck up hardware. There's a few trying to make it work, but the plug-n-chug model of a software startup breaks down.

I think we've already got a very good example of how this funding model plays out with hardware. Get some engineers with zero experience in a real business where cost optimization matters, they contract out an over engineered thing that while beautifully and robustly engineered misses the mark on the right way to solve the problem at hand in very basic ways and then bolt on wifi and a subscription model.

I'm sure you all remember Jucero.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I must remind you that the "problem at hand" with Juicero had always been "make a magical woo machine for people who believe fruit needs to be 'alive' when you squeeze it or else you get bad ghosts in you". No matter how you went about doing the thing it was a stupid goal from the start.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

I must remind you that the "problem at hand" with Juicero had always been "make a magical woo machine for people who believe fruit needs to be 'alive' when you squeeze it or else you get bad ghosts in you". No matter how you went about doing the thing it was a stupid goal from the start.

Yes but the hardware could've been half as expensive for the same result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember a YOSPOS joke or something about how if you let an engineer design a toaster it'll be a giant concrete cube that only accepts one kind of bread or something.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
wendy liu has a great piece on the instacart tip skimming, and how it's phrased as a victory for consumer activism

https://dellsystem.me/posts/fragments-38

quote:

This sort of framing is bullshit. For one, the idea that lawmakers need to swoop in and “rescue” these workers out of the goodness of their hearts is mistaken - it gets the order wrong. Laws change primarily because the affected groups build power that can no longer be ignored, not through the valiant efforts of lone heroes acting out of charity instead of solidarity. For another, consumers were only relevant to this incident to the extent that some of them supported the complaints of workers. It wasn’t consumers who surfaced these demands in the first place, as they wouldn’t have known about the tipping policy on their own anyway. It was workers who organised, and whose actions made the difference here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Old Grasshopper posted:

It's the never ending cycle of people expecting year on year growth to happen, literally, forever.

I know that for Patreon to continue as a business it needs to remain profitable. But if it's banking a significant amount and has enough to invest in change programmes to keep it relevant for the future, then why does it need to keep on pushing for growth? :dukedoge:

Not just year on year growth. Double digit percentages of year on year growth.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember a YOSPOS joke or something about how if you let an engineer design a toaster it'll be a giant concrete cube that only accepts one kind of bread or something.
Why would I let lovely users foul up my toaster with their lovely beads? Wheat is what we have in the office, and anything else is incredibly niche.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

HootTheOwl posted:

Why would I let lovely users foul up my toaster with their lovely beads? Wheat is what we have in the office, and anything else is incredibly niche.

I mean it's pretty easy to ruin a toaster with beads. Don't want your bread to taste like melted plastic

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Moatman posted:

I mean it's pretty easy to ruin a toaster with beads. Don't want your bread to taste like melted plastic

BEES??!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes but the hardware could've been half as expensive for the same result.

Exactly. Something as simple as a roller that goes down the juice packet would have changed the amount of force, and therefore all kinds of other parts, by a HUGE factor. Instead they designed a what.... 6"x 4"?...press for no good reason which required an insanely overengineered frame to handle the forces involved, plus the parts to generate those forces. It wasn't even a speed advantage. It was just a stupid way to "solve" the "problem".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

might have already been discussed but in holmes's deposition she still does the fake voice lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SWZ0Pna8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvznWSEKoEE

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kobayashi posted:

Check out Full Story for the web, there are plenty of services for native apps. They all let whoever has access replay any session they want, often targeted by location, profile ID, device, scenario, etc. It’s creepy and pervasive.
The other day I sent this to a friend and she defensively dismissed it with "My company uses Full Story to see how customers use our app. There's nothing wrong with doing that. The headline is stupid."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder if Jennifer Lawrence will net a second Oscar playing Holmes. Maybe there'll be a scene where she practices that stupid voice. It will probably age better than The Social Network, because since that movie Mark Zuckerberg has committed so much worse actions that the film seems quaint, while Holmes is definitely a villain throughout.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Possible:

https://twitter.com/PPathole/status/1093757529761480705

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Motronic posted:

Exactly. Something as simple as a roller that goes down the juice packet would have changed the amount of force, and therefore all kinds of other parts, by a HUGE factor. Instead they designed a what.... 6"x 4"?...press for no good reason which required an insanely overengineered frame to handle the forces involved, plus the parts to generate those forces. It wasn't even a speed advantage. It was just a stupid way to "solve" the "problem".

The problem with rollers is that they push all the bag's contents towards the back that hasn't been rolled over yet. So the back end of the bag has to be strong enough to force the bag's contents through the rollers. Whereas with a flat press you just have to handle press out as the contents flatten, and over a larger bag perimeter. I'd guess that bags that would work for the the rollers would be much, much more expensive and harder to fill than the flat press bags. Since the whole point was to sell the subscription, minimizing the recurring costs of sending bags of fruit was likely the reason they went with a flat press.

Full disclosure: I have never a seen a Juicero and I'm going off your description.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

The problem with rollers is that they push all the bag's contents towards the back that hasn't been rolled over yet. So the back end of the bag has to be strong enough to force the bag's contents through the rollers. Whereas with a flat press you just have to handle press out as the contents flatten, and over a larger bag perimeter. I'd guess that bags that would work for the the rollers would be much, much more expensive and harder to fill than the flat press bags. Since the whole point was to sell the subscription, minimizing the recurring costs of sending bags of fruit was likely the reason they went with a flat press.

Full disclosure: I have never a seen a Juicero and I'm going off your description.

Yeah that wasn't the problem. There are plenty of videos around of people rolling the bags up by hand and getting just as much juice out of them as when they put it in their Jucero. The bags weren't like, whole fruit or anything. It was basically mashed up already.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thinking back to Facebook and European regulators...

Bundeskartellamt prohibits Facebook from combining user data from different sources

quote:

The Bundeskartellamt has imposed on Facebook far-reaching restrictions in the processing of user data.

According to Facebook's terms and conditions users have so far only been able to use the social network under the precondition that Facebook can collect user data also outside of the Facebook website in the internet or on smartphone apps and assign these data to the user’s Facebook account. All data collected on the Facebook website, by Facebook-owned services such as e.g. WhatsApp and Instagram and on third party websites can be combined and assigned to the Facebook user account.

"With regard to Facebook’s future data processing policy, we are carrying out what can be seen as an internal divestiture of Facebook’s data. In [the] future, Facebook will no longer be allowed to force its users to agree to the practically unrestricted collection and assigning of non-Facebook data to their Facebook user accounts."

Neat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

they were sending pulped bags of raw fruit to be squeezed

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Motronic posted:

You're not getting it. These people, they believe that using a roller is evil and hurts the life force. That's why it's a flat plate pressing down all at once. Because the flat plate is supposed to help the literal fuckin magic ritual you are doing with fruit to make this gimmick scam juice in the first place. You have to have the fruit chopped up in a special way, never have any preservatives added, never seal it to prevent spoilage, never do anything sensible. Because you're trying to preserve "life force" so that your juice will be the most alive possible when you drink it.

Giving advice on the basis that juicero customers were people who just wanted juice is missing the point in a huge way.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

You're not getting it. These people, they believe that using a roller is evil and hurts the life force. That's why it's a flat plate pressing down all at once. Because the flat plate is supposed to help the literal fuckin magic ritual you are doing with fruit to make this gimmick scam juice in the first place. You have to have the fruit chopped up in a special way, never have any preservatives added, never seal it to prevent spoilage, never do anything sensible. Because you're trying to preserve "life force" so that your juice will be the most alive possible when you drink it.

Giving advice on the basis that juicero customers were people who just wanted juice is missing the point in a huge way.

Is there any citation for this or are you just making poo poo up?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Check who you're responding to and decide for yourself.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

the juicero founder was definitely a health woo guy who was all about the vital essence of raw foods (he also was into "living water" aka only drinking untreated spring water directly from the earth) but my interpretation of the overengineering of the thing is that you're not gonna sell an expensive subscription juicer service to rich health nuts if the juicer only costs a piddly few hundred bucks. when people are paying for what is ostensibly super premium product they feel ripped off if they don't pay an extreme amount. this is the whole foods business model, or why ionic purifying water filters to add the correct reiki frequencies to your tap water are at least a grand a pop

if processed human kibble food is super cheap, then it follows that the perfect, organic pears harvested by hand in the garden of eden itself must be at least $10 a piece, right?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Juicebro literally claimed this was the reason for the flat press. It is, however, doubtful that they couldn't also have found a similarly ridiculous reason to go with a slightly modified roller.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
good on the mechanical engineering team who got the request for a "kitchen appliance sized press, but you have a per unit parts budget of $500" and just set out to make the strongest, most impressive press possible within those lavish constraints

i remember some dude did a teardown on the juicero and was marveling at the insanely high build quality

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

luxury handset posted:

good on the mechanical engineering team who got the request for a "kitchen appliance sized press, but you have a per unit parts budget of $500" and just set out to make the strongest, most impressive press possible within those lavish constraints

i remember some dude did a teardown on the juicero and was marveling at the insanely high build quality

AVE is the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's the entire premise of the variant of cold pressed juice the Juicero company is for. What are you asking to be cited? It's a "health food" variant that's been around for a couple of decades.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

Check who you're responding to and decide for yourself.

Nah, he’s right. Their CEO was super-big into the whole ~*~living fruit’s vital energies~*~ nonsense.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Enfys posted:

Refridgerdating

quote:

The free app works with the Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator, a $4,000 appliance with a touchscreen on the door that you can use to view the family's schedule, and an ingredient-tracking camera that lets you double-check whether you're out of milk. With the app, you take a photo of the inside of your fridge to share, and you can swipe right or left based on how the contents of someone else's speak to you.

"We hope people can meet under more honest or transparent circumstances with the help of the contents of the fridge, because that can tell you a lot about the personality," said Elin Axelsson, PR manager at Samsung Electronics Nordic based in Sweden. She talked about combating the shallowness of filtered photos on social media and dating sites with something a bit more… organic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So I checked into a company that uh... I forget exactly who signed off on paying them for services, but their product never advanced beyond the barely functioning Tableau thing they showed us in a demo, with no additional data. This is a company I didn't get offered a job with like 5 years ago.

employee review posted:

Cons

Do you like to get paid? Yeah you won't get that here. Would you like to be able to do your taxes? Yeah you can't do that here either. Would you like to have the money taken out of your paycheck actually put into your 401k account? Yeah, you guessed it... not happening here. Company owes over a year in back taxes and is unable to provide employees with there 2017 w2's. Upper echelon gets to come and go as they please with absolutely no repercussions while the core team that the company relies on gets treated like dirt and worked into the ground.

:stare:

different one posted:

Cons

Company is in financial crisis and can't pay its employees on time. Hasn't been able to for the past few months, that is unless you are one of the favorites in the company, then you get your full pay on time every month. Every month it's a new excuse, and yet another empty promise of when we will actually get paid. None of the upper management have any clue how to run a business. Lots of racial profiling and discrimination going on as well. IE certain employees are allowed to come and go as they please, never working a full week and still collecting full salary while others work 70+ hour weeks. Not to mention no repercussions for just not showing up to work at all. Company was caught taking money out of employee paychecks for our 401k only to not actually deposit it into our accounts. As soon as someone came forward about this the company scrambled to fix it before it could be reported.

:stare: :stare:

a third one posted:

Cons

Don't expect to be paid on time. Misuse of money, bad sales management, lack of orders, equipment failures, etc. No CEO, no one that has any real management experience, people that don't work but get paid. Company expects everything and gives empty promises that they never follow through on. Yelling at staff to get reports. Making people work through holidays with only promises to compensate. "we will pay next friday" should be the companies new empty slogan! Friday comes, no pay, just more excuses. "we are changing banks" "we have a big sale coming in but do not have the PO yet." "things did not happen as quickly as we wanted" You name it, we all heard it, but still no pay! DO NOT do the 401K program!!! They take money out of your check but don't put it into your 401K and do not deposit matching funds! They sell nice stock options, but the reality is there are no stock options for you!

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Suddenly I..... feel pretty okay about not having gotten a job offer

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Motronic posted:

I think we've already got a very good example of how this funding model plays out with hardware. Get some engineers with zero experience in a real business where cost optimization matters, they contract out an over engineered thing that while beautifully and robustly engineered misses the mark on the right way to solve the problem at hand in very basic ways and then bolt on wifi and a subscription model.

I'm sure you all remember Jucero.
Not really. If you've got the swagger to pull down a cool million from buddies a lot of my concerns don't matter, that's plenty of money to blow on a super nice version to go to early adopters, prove product market fit, and get you a B. Needing a subscription model isn't what killed it. Honestly I think they had a shot at bilking VC's out of another round if they'd avoided the ridicule and PR blowup.

Software seeds can be like $10k. HW is orders of magnitude higher to hit the same user count.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Liquid Communism posted:

Not just year on year growth. Double digit percentages of year on year growth.

Any startup with "double digit" yearly growth is an abject failure in the eyes of a VC. VCs usually consider a startup struggling unless it has 10%-20% month-on-month growth. One saying is "triple triple double double double", which means you should triple your revenue in years 1 and 2, and double your revenue for the next 3 years. That's considered a baseline to be on an IPO path.

This was on Hacker News this week: https://medium.com/@shl/reflecting-on-my-failure-to-build-a-billion-dollar-company-b0c31d7db0e7

tl;dr: Company goes through a rough patch, has layoffs, and still afterwards manages to double their revenue over a year (and turns into a profitable company). This is a poor enough outcome that VCs insist that the company buys their stock back.

The whole VC game makes sense for VCs and VCs only. If you're a founder who's taking VC money, you're a sucker who's essentially being scammed into putting all your money towards a lottery ticket.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 10, 2019

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

enki42 posted:

Any startup with "double digit" yearly growth is an abject failure in the eyes of a VC. VCs usually consider a startup struggling unless it has 10%-20% month-on-month growth. One saying is "triple triple double double double", which means you should triple your revenue in years 1 and 2, and double your revenue for the next 3 years. That's considered a baseline to be on an IPO path.

This was on Hacker News this week: https://medium.com/@shl/reflecting-on-my-failure-to-build-a-billion-dollar-company-b0c31d7db0e7

tl;dr: Company goes through a rough patch, has layoffs, and still afterwards manages to double their revenue over a year (and turns into a profitable company). This is a poor enough outcome that VCs insist that the company buys their stock back.

The whole VC game makes sense for VCs and VCs only. If you're a founder who's taking VC money, you're a sucker who's essentially being scammed into putting all your money towards a lottery ticket.

You omitted the part where the dude started right off the bat with the goal of building a billion dollar company, which is pretty important context and certainly impacted funding rounds and resulting investor expectations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man that guy is dumb as gently caress.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I always thought this summed it up pretty well.
https://youtu.be/BzAdXyPYKQo

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The perfect juicer is one that just dissolves all the cell walls in the fruit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1061122781297999872

Pince-nez.

You've invented Pince-nez.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Somehow I can't imagine those being comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The folding/bending seems pretty neat, and when I asked about pince nez late last year from my optometrist I was told they were very uncommon outside of niche specialty/fashion, so if this means I can get cheap frames for my nerd vr needs then they can claim to be futuro disrupto imagination wizards for all I care.