Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The ecstasy and agony of having multiple sprachen aktiviert vor Erkennung. The second your phone thinks it heard a single German word in there, it switches the recognition of everything that follows to German as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
^^^maybe deactivate French (Vichy) in languages? ^^^

Yay! Also what's more important initially, heat or light? Reason is I got some good window places with lots of sunlight but no Heizung nearby and a table in the kitchen with a Heizkörper nearby but kinda lovely light.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've got mine sitting on my coffee table in front of a pair of glass doors that lead onto my (one and only) balcony. From what I understand temperature is more important until they keim, but I may be wrong. My apartment's pretty warm anyway at a natural ~24 degrees so I'm not too worried about it.

I did get a little LED grow lamp though for when they keim, just to make 100% sure they're getting the light they need.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

caps on caps on caps posted:

Peterson is a psychologist and its his job to help people, which he was doing for men and women (according to himself that is). Ie. his teaching were not initially gendered.

Then he gave these lectures saying that young men are basically useless to society today, because they are either effeminate undesirables or undisciplined boys who don't responsibility for themselves. Which is true. Now that most college graduates are women, girls do much better than boys in school (at least in Europe I guess) etc., certain young men in the FUTURE will have little to offer to attract a partner (if they don't do something about it). It's unclear of course why this should hold only for men. Nobody is immature and undisciplined and unsuccessful is ultimately attractive as a partner, so he isn't wrong, just u know, selective.

But his books aren't even as good as traditional "take responsibility" self-help literature. It's kinda half-half mixed with some twisted, ultra-right Christian philosophy.
Instead, his stuff came across as telling young men it ain't their fault (which is the opposite of the psychological treatment he should and maybe did offer) and they are structurally disadvantaged no matter what (whereas the numbers are more about ten, twenty or thirty years in the future). He also did an interview where some really bad and extremely cringy "feminist" journalist.
Since he ain't dumb, he saw he could make tons of money with telling young men the system left them behind.
He also hates Muslims, even though on the surface he basically agrees with extremist thought.

So,
Jordan Peterson is the young, christian, white male entry to the Oppression Olympics.

Because I was intrigued what all the noise was about I started to watch/read a lot of material of/about him, and generally I have to say he usually is grotesquely and imho purposely quoted out of context. I mean even the lobster thing makes sense if you follow the full argument. (You don't have to agree with the narrative, that is another thing.) At some point it starts becoming obvious who has formed his or her own opinion solemnly on memes about Peterson and things the same kind of persons posted on the internet.

What I consider a good thing is the general "get your poo poo together and grow up already" advice, as I am under the impression there actually is a large crowd of men on youtube looking for such guidance. I have literally seen people ride down the insane road on the back of the Youtubes "next video" algorithm, ending up in Reichsbürger, free energy and Illuminati country. I'd prefer them watching Petersons videos because the outcome would probably be a better one.

My issues with him are that if asked directly if he would consider himself part of the alt-right movement, he ALWAYS dodges the answer. Never a clear "yes" or "no". Maybe he just wants some extra Youtube $ and tries to avoid to take a clear position here to not scare off that part of his followers, but from a German perspective this is unacceptable and unless I hear something like "No I am not, and I clearly oppose alt/far right views in general" he won't get a green light from me.

And that he sits down with a guy like Shapiro who is clearly an insane retard.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
:psyduck:
Well, at least that post matches your posting history.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

dogboy posted:

Because I was intrigued what all the noise was about I started to watch/read a lot of material of/about him, and generally I have to say he usually is grotesquely and imho purposely quoted out of context. I mean even the lobster thing makes sense if you follow the full argument. (You don't have to agree with the narrative, that is another thing.) At some point it starts becoming obvious who has formed his or her own opinion solemnly on memes about Peterson and things the same kind of persons posted on the internet.

What I consider a good thing is the general "get your poo poo together and grow up already" advice, as I am under the impression there actually is a large crowd of men on youtube looking for such guidance. I have literally seen people ride down the insane road on the back of the Youtubes "next video" algorithm, ending up in Reichsbürger, free energy and Illuminati country. I'd prefer them watching Petersons videos because the outcome would probably be a better one.

My issues with him are that if asked directly if he would consider himself part of the alt-right movement, he ALWAYS dodges the answer. Never a clear "yes" or "no". Maybe he just wants some extra Youtube $ and tries to avoid to take a clear position here to not scare off that part of his followers, but from a German perspective this is unacceptable and unless I hear something like "No I am not, and I clearly oppose alt/far right views in general" he won't get a green light from me.

*rips off mask* Old man Cingulate!?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Wow. Deutscher Faden ist gehend Plätze. :psyduck:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been together with my girlfriend for almost 15 years (minus a two year gap towards the end lol) and we are not married. However, we are now seriously thinking about getting a Partnerschaft or whatever, purely because german law is sadly very conservative when it comes to relationships, and it rewards you for getting married / punishes you for being together without being married.

Also, spare a thought for us teachers who have to deal with young lovely men/boys every single day. Two weeks ago a girl from 9th grade came up to me in tears with a note she found in her locker. I read it and it said "I'm going to gently caress your face till you die". It was anonymous, but we traced it back to a 10th grade boy 👍

oliwan fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 8, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

dogboy posted:

Would you say the wikipedia page on him is grossly misrepresentative?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson#Views

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Oh sweet baby Jesus, that link to "wikimannia" Randler posted on the last page opens the door to a world of horror. Just a tiny bit from the main page:

5022 Artikels of Frauenhass.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sulla Faex posted:

Man, that made me remember when that NYT interview with him came out where he went on about his whole "we should have enforced monogamy so that every guy has a wife/girlfriend", which rightfully earned him a load of flak. And then a few days later he put out a clarification where he was like "no I don't meant like enforced through force force, just through societal pressure and expectations!", seemingly entirely oblivious to the fact that that wasn't really much better and didn't address the core problems with that idea. :allears:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Berlin kann man noch schön billig wohnen!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't someone itt post a video of Peterson claiming that ancient art depicts the DNA double helix? That was pretty hilarious. Did it turn out to be a misunderstanding?

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Sulla Faex posted:

Skimming over it I'd say it is all correct, I actually personally disgree fully or partially with most of his positions tough. But I am willing to listen and make up my own opinion about him. The wikipedia page is also far away from the out of context quoting of the JP hate crowd.

Edit: Also I am certainly not a Jordan Peterson expert, I just watched and read a few handpicked pieces that sparked controversy previously. It just stood out to me how grotesque the memes about him are, this is not making fun of a person or his opinions, it feels more like a hate fueled campaign to discredit him as brutal as possible.

dogboy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 8, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Zwille posted:

^^^maybe deactivate French (Vichy) in languages? ^^^

Yay! Also what's more important initially, heat or light? Reason is I got some good window places with lots of sunlight but no Heizung nearby and a table in the kitchen with a Heizkörper nearby but kinda lovely light.

Heat is more important, light is not needed at all, since chilis are Dunkelkeimer. However, with a Gewächshaus, light will yield some heat due to treibhauseffekt, so Zimmertemperatur plus light will usually keep you above the sweet spot of 25 degrees.

In any case, make sure to have a bit of an isolierende Unterlage, because dissipation of heat usually hits the anzuchttabs from the bottom and isn't otherwise noticeable.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogboy posted:

Skimming over it I'd say it is all correct, I actually personally disgree fully or partially with most of his positions tough. But I am willing to listen and make up my own opinion about him. The wikipedia page is also far away from the out of context quoting of the JP hate crowd.

Edit: Also I am certainly not a Jordan Peterson expert, I just watched and read a few handpicked pieces that sparked controversy previously. It just stood out to me how grotesque the memes about him are, this is not making fun of a person or his opinions, it feels more like a hate fueled campaign to discredit him as brutal as possible.

Please tell us three (3) positions by Jordan Peterson that you agree with.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

oliwan posted:

What does this even mean? Anwaltskosten? Is this an Unterhalt thing? Also good job tracking that dickhead down at school.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In any case, make sure to have a bit of an isolierende Unterlage, because dissipation of heat usually hits the anzuchttabs from the bottom and isn't otherwise noticeable.

Oooh, good to know, slapping a couple newspapers under there.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

Please tell us three (3) positions by Jordan Peterson that you agree with.

Usually I'd happily bite that bait even with some provocative remarks to spark a potentially interesting discussion but I have learned my lesson here and especially with you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dogboy posted:

Usually I'd happily bite that bait even with some provocative remarks to spark a potentially interesting discussion but I have learned my lesson here and especially with you.

thank u oliwan

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Lol the JP fanboys always dodge discussion in the same way. Everybody else is taking things out of context but we'll never tell you what we actually mean.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

cebrail posted:

Lol the JP fanboys always dodge discussion in the same way. Everybody else is taking things out of context but we'll never tell you what we actually mean.

If you will just watch these 7 hours of youtube videos it will immediately become clear what he actually means!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Spoiler: people generally don't take JP out of context. JP's main points on their own are already loving idiotic and simply presenting them without couching them in pseudo-intellectual bullshit immediately makes them sound like the toxic trash that they are.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Well despite it beeing bait*, it still is better bait than Oliwans and you are not on my "insane people" list. (* I tried to clarify just a few posts above that I am certainly not a fanboy of him.)

I probably don't get to three, but I'll give you two:

1) I am fully with him on the self improvement side. In my opinion it is imperative for every person to constantly question themselves and get their own poo poo in order if they identify problems. Especially the "if you are at your dads funeral be the most reliable person in the room" struck a nerve with me, since I am now at that age. I actively worked on myself to become a person that friends & family can lean on when they struggle - that didn't come naturally but rather was a long and sometimes exhausting effort. I didn't need Peterson for that though, my point here beeing that others probably do. (Anecdotal proof: the success of his videos.)

2) Another thing and I am not fully certain yet if is the case or not that is on my radar is the academia culture.

Wikipedia posted:

According to Peterson, he watched the rise of political correctness on campuses since the early 1990s,[62] and considers that the humanities have become corrupt, less reliant on science, and instead of "intelligent conversation, we are having an ideological conversation".

The stuff I read about especially whats supposedly going on in North American universities makes my eyebrows hit the hairline. I am fully aware that this might be a case of "old man yelling at the clouds" but in my worldview you develop immunity against insults, there is even something like the right to insult. Reading about safe spaces and people crying about verbal aggression because someone used a wrong pronoun does not make me think about self-confident and grown up people, or even helping them with it - rather the opposite. All of this explicitely excludes things like racism, anti-semitism or other obvious stuff.

Also this thread here. It is enough to basically post "he argues his points, you have to give him that even if you are not his opinion" to get immediately branded as a JP fanboy, personally attacked and shat on. Ok this is SA, who am I complaining to ... creeps me out a little bit and leaves me a bit salty though, I have to admit that. I probably should finally accept that the internet is a pile of poo poo and mob culture rules the place.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogboy posted:

Well despite it beeing bait*, it still is better bait than Oliwans and you are not on my "insane people" list. (* I tried to clarify just a few posts above that I am certainly not a fanboy of him.)

1) I am fully with him on the self improvement side. In my opinion it is imperative for every person to constantly question themselves and get their own poo poo in order if they identify problems. Especially the "if you are at your dads funeral be the most reliable person in the room" struck a nerve with me, since I am now at that age. I actively worked on myself to become a person that friends & family can lean on when they struggle - that didn't come naturally but rather was a long and sometimes exhausting effort. I didn't need Peterson for that though, my point here beeing that others probably do. (Anecdotal proof: the success of his videos.)

2) Another thing and I am not fully certain yet if is the case or not that is on my radar is the academia culture.

The stuff I read about especially whats supposedly going on in North American universities makes my eyebrows hit the hairline. I am fully aware that this might be a case of "old man yelling at the clouds" but in my worldview you develop immunity against insults, there is even something like the right to insult. Reading about safe spaces and people crying about verbal aggression because someone used a wrong pronoun does not make me think about self-confident and grown up people, or even helping them with it - rather the opposite. All of this explicitely excludes things like racism, anti-semitism or other obvious stuff.

Also this thread here. It is enough to basically post "he argues his points, you have to give him that even if you are not his opinion" to get immediately branded as a JP fanboy, personally attacked and shat on. Ok this is SA, who am I complaining to ... creeps me out a little bit and leaves me a bit salty though, I have to admit that. I probably should finally accept that the internet is a pile of poo poo and mob culture rules the place.

lol, the engineer is strong in this one

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"He does have some good points" is a horseshit argument is the problem. Everyone has "some good points". You might as well be saying that anti-vaxxers are technically correct in that vaccines can have side effects, and they just care about their children, so maybe you shouldn't condemn them outright??? But that completely ignores how absurdly harmful their main points are.

There is a point to your argument that internet culture at the moment is way too dogpiley, too much in the direction of "one bad word = bad person", but you could really choose a better example than someone who argues that women are lesser beings by nature of biology. I'm not accusing you of being a fanboy at all, I'm saying you are choosing the worst possible starting point to bring up some possibly legitimate grievances, maybe.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

dogboy posted:

self improvement
Do you think this applies only to boys?

dogboy posted:

people crying about verbal aggression because someone used a wrong pronoun
(I'm assuming you're implying a "once" there at the end.) Do you think this actually literally happens to a statistically significant degree?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

oliwan posted:

Das Ryanair der Mietwohungen, Schlüssel kostet 100€ extra.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

dogboy posted:

Especially the "if you are at your dads funeral be the most reliable person in the room"

The gently caress? Is that a call to suppress your emotions from a psychologist? At one of the probably most painful and stressful events?
Or is that one of those quotes totally out of context?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm dogboy, the undoubtedly straight white man, here to tell you that it's actually the victims of bullying and abuse that should change their behaviour.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Realpost: When I was at my mother's funeral, I was actually a blubbering and broken mess, and my friends and girlfriend pulled me through. Now I have to live with that. Such bad form, which I had listened to jorp.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or does it only apply to your father's funeral?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
At the funeral for my grandfather's mother-in-law, I saw him break down into uncontrollable sobs for the first time in my life. That was an incredibly powerful moment for me, because I did not feel the same way about my great grandmother, and later that year for my grandmother, and pondered for years if something was wrong with me because I couldn't feel this kind of sadness.

When my grandfather died, I broke down like he did before and it was incredibly liberating. God drat I loved that man.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

When my grandfather died, I broke down like he did before and it was incredibly liberating. God drat I loved that man.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

dogboy posted:

At best, all that is pretty much exactly the same old trite truisms that self-help books have peddled for decades now, except dressed up in somewhat more esoteric verbiage. At worst, they're still steeped in his lovely worldview. Like that whole "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world" part of his book. That's basically just conservative "personal responsibility!" rhetoric in a different look, and directly serves as the foundation for the idea that all those minorities just ought to shut up because systemic discrimination doesn't exist.

quote:

Intentionally misgendering somebody is the exact same loving thing as "things like racism, anti-semitism or other obvious stuff". It's attacking an already disadvantaged minority based on their identity, full stop. And like you yourself already seem to recognise, that is qualitatively a different thing from just regular old insults. Peterson's whole thing about "I shouldn't be compelled to call trans students by their preferred pronouns" is functionally no different from "I shouldn't be compelled to not call gay students faggots".

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

At the funeral for my grandfather's mother-in-law, I saw him break down into uncontrollable sobs for the first time in my life. That was an incredibly powerful moment for me, because I did not feel the same way about my great grandmother, and later that year for my grandmother, and pondered for years if something was wrong with me because I couldn't feel this kind of sadness.

Hey thanks for posting this. I've a similar history with deaths in my family, and it's neat to hear others have similar experience.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Perestroika posted:

If you will just watch these 7 hours of youtube videos it will immediately become clear what he actually means!

Lmao, that was almost literally one of his answers in the big ZEIT-Interview.

Serioustalk, Peterson selling out the loving Volkshaus in Zürich scares me more than Islamic terrorism, Rentendebatte and spiders combined. What the gently caress?????

Also, don’t get married oliwan, not unless you want to get steuerlich veranlagt with your girlfriend (at least that’s how it works here in Switzerland, which is insane, Individualbesteuerung now plz).

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Do you think this applies only to boys?

No thats why I wrote person.

Mithaldu posted:

(I'm assuming you're implying a "once" there at the end.) Do you think this actually literally happens to a statistically significant degree?

Thats why I am unsure. It probably does not. It is just a lot of things I read that make me feel uneasy and I am also an aging computer hacker that is/was close to the CCC and somewhat has the sour feeling the same people that once sank "Die Piraten" are now doing the same to the congress. (No I am not fefe.)

I talked to a lot of old congress companions about last years congress and the hardcore tech crowd (to which I consider myself part of) now generally feels alienated by a lot of the non-technical talks and also the quality of the tech talks themselves. General argument was "we are getting older and more knowledgeable so we should take a step back and let the new guys have at it" and I later learned that the entry level was a agreed upon thing and that the CCC also "always had an outspoken leftist and social agenda". Well so be it. The things I remember were more about freeing information, freedom of speech and privacy though, not telling other people what to do and think and censoring their poo poo.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Mano posted:

The gently caress? Is that a call to suppress your emotions from a psychologist? At one of the probably most painful and stressful events?
Or is that one of those quotes totally out of context?

It was my mothers funeral and everybody lost their poo poo, I somehow managed to hold it all together and get all the surrounding paperwork and organisation done. A proper burial, a proper gravestone (which my father was unable to pay for) and other assorted nasty events. People crying and shouting at each other, it is the moment where the ugly episodes of a family surface. My mother and I were very close and I properly grieved for her and still do.

It really helps if you prepare mentally for a moment like that.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Wengy posted:

Lmao, that was almost literally one of his answers in the big ZEIT-Interview.

Serioustalk, Peterson selling out the loving Volkshaus in Zürich scares me more than Islamic terrorism, Rentendebatte and spiders combined. What the gently caress?????

Also, don’t get married oliwan, not unless you want to get steuerlich veranlagt with your girlfriend (at least that’s how it works here in Switzerland, which is insane, Individualbesteuerung now plz).

Zusammenveranlagung can never before worse than Einzelveranlagung in Germany (There was a BverfG case in the matter in the fifties or early sixties).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

nice, you gonna apply for it?