Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is there anything Monte Cook doesn't ruin with wizards???

The answer is The Book of Vile Darkness because that was ruined by being printed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The BoVD was ruined with necrophilia and eeevil bondage.

Random thought: I was flipping through old Cyberpunk sourcebooks and chuckling at them for the 80s chic, but in retrospect it's actually good. I'm glad cyberpunk is coming back in vogue, but the "athleisure gothninja" design has run its course. Give me a weirder vision of the terrible future.

Based on my searches for "80s jacket" there's gotta be neon green on here somewhere.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 8, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gort posted:

I've often thought that if you want to swiftly identify if a game is lovely or not, head straight to the healing rules.

I've been calling this the Fighter Litmus Test for a few years now, and it generally holds true in my experience: if the game has a fighter-equivalent (a character class or set of options whose core gimmick is just engaging directly with the core resolution system instead of bypassing it with a limited-availability subsystem, whether that's "roll d20 to do HP damage" or something different), then if that fighter-equivalent is not both cool/engaging to play and mechanically powerful, the game is most likely badly designed.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 8, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've been calling this the Fighter Litmus Test for a few years now, and it generally holds true in my experience: if the game has a fighter-equivalent (a character class or set of options whose core gimmick is just engaging directly with the core resolution system instead of bypassing it with a limited-availability subsystem, whether that's "roll d20 to do HP damage" or something different), then if that fighter-equivalent is both cool/engaging to play and mechanically powerful, the game is probably reasonably well-designed.

This failed for me for dungeon crawl classics, where all the base classes are really cool but the game completely fails to understand the core features of old school dungeon crawling.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

The BoVD was ruined with necrophilia and eeevil bondage.
It also accidentally insentivized paladins and other people of the good aligned persuasion to keep evil bondage clubs because all the evil bondage gear items didn't take up normal magic items slots and the Book of Exalted Deeds had rules for turning them into good guy items without changing what they actually did at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The idea that when paladins get together, the leather harnesses and genital piercings come out, is not at all strange to me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The funniest bit is they can't make those evil nipple clamps themselves due to the dump way 3.5 magic item crafting works, so all of it needs to be bought of stolen from evil aligned bondage enthusiasts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The Black Hack 2e passes this test, by the way. If y'all are curious about OSR stuff without a lot of the baggage.

Lemon-Lime posted:

the Fighter Litmus Test

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

This failed for me for dungeon crawl classics, where all the base classes are really cool but the game completely fails to understand the core features of old school dungeon crawling.

DCC isn't really meant to be a dungeon crawler though. It's OSR in the gonzo weird fantasy sense, and its power level and ideas are much higher octane than the usual retroclone. You start off with a funnel and then by like level 2 you're sorting out interplanar treaties for gods or whatever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't help that conversation about the funnel takes up like 99% of talk about the game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

DCC isn't really meant to be a dungeon crawler though. It's OSR in the gonzo weird fantasy sense, and its power level and ideas are much higher octane than the usual retroclone. You start off with a funnel and then by like level 2 you're sorting out interplanar treaties for gods or whatever.

It 100% tries to lure you in as a classic dungeon crawler though, including in the very name.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the name and the funnel references made me assume that DCC was a standard Fantasy loving Vietnam/"some idiots wander around and die" OSR game. Crazy fantasy that gets really nuts after the funnel sounds way more interesting. I'm willing to throw some level 0s into the meat grinder, but once one of them has a name and personality, they need something interesting to do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Deed mechanic seems neat, but I enjoy DCC's adventure design much more than I care for the actual core game. I'm not loving around with critical failure tables for spells.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, the name and the funnel references made me assume that DCC was a standard Fantasy loving Vietnam/"some idiots wander around and die" OSR game. Crazy fantasy that gets really nuts after the funnel sounds way more interesting. I'm willing to throw some level 0s into the meat grinder, but once one of them has a name and personality, they need something interesting to do.

'the funnel' isn't really a feature of classic dungeon crawls, as such. like by virtue of old school d&d levels 1-2 are super swingy but you're not just useless garbage until you complete your first adventure, then are suddenly good and competent. Intentional meat grinder design was always considered the hallmark of a bad dungeon crawl. DCC also doesn't understand that part of the appeal of dungeon crawling is getting cool if randomized treasure, and instead makes magic items astoundingly rare and gives you penalties for having more than one. That plus the like four different ways it fucks with wizards makes me feel like the author really likes STDH stories about tomb of horrors and warhammer fantasy roleplay, without ever really engaging the material they were ostensibly working from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Absolutely. What do we have in American film that takes the perspective of the colonized instead of the colonizer in that time frame? Tarantino's Django and Mel "shithead" Gibson's Apocalypto? We have had the occasional guilt film like Dances With Wolves, but that had to go with the White Savior thing. There are some exploitation films from the 60s and 70s that actually tell stories about Black outlaws, but they can hardly be called mainstream Hollywood.

It's been 20 years since I saw it, but after skimming a plot summary, maybe throw Last of the Mohicans into the mix? It's a movie based on the novel by James Fennimore Cooper, so the datedness of that source has to be taken into account. The frontier in that film is New York, so it's much earlier on in the colonial american period than westerns are usually placed, but it does at least have nominally native american protagonists. The themes include the extirpation of the Mohican tribe; the exploitation of the natives by both the french and english in the conduct of their wars; recognition that intertribal warfare was a thing; a really good soundtrack. But also on the bad side... white or half-white women as the prizes and victims and just generally that damsel bullshit, interracial predestination sorta, in that Cooper maybe is saying Cora "naturally" should be with a dark-skinned person because she is half-black, and her tragic end is in part predetermined by the "tragedy" of her existence; and the villian is a Huron and not really the white people, and various other dumb movie poo poo and historical inaccuracy. Plus the stuff on this Themes page, a decent summary of what's going on.

But I still sorta liked that the overall take of the movie and I assume the book it's based on is that the native americans were simultaneously horrifyingly abused victims, and active participants in the bloodshed. It doesn't try to portray them as either entirely victims or entirely the bad guys, and they're not marginalized in the film, they're critical to everythign that happens in the plot. Even the villian character Magua is understandable and not a one-dimensional evil guy.

From a roleplaying perspective, I think that setting has some meat to it. Being a character from any of the groups involved doesn't automatically make you a good guy or a bad guy, you don't have to be a slaver or anything but also you don't have to make any apologies for people with slaves. You could be French or English or any other plausible immigrant, you could be a free or indentured or perhaps an escaped slave or the child of a slave and a white person, or you could be from any of the local tribes, and the conflicts available are plentiful given the frontier setting. Adventure hooks could involve anything from trying to find what happened to a lost scout patrol, to trying to negotiate a peace agreement or alliance between any two groups, or you could inject fantasy elements or something?

I'm not sure who I'd trust to write this game, though. We've seen the extremely sorry history of uninformed white people trying to write fantasy games with native americans in them and it usually has turned out badly. You'd need some genuine history experts, and you'd have to be very sensitive to the still-living descendants of the native peoples of the colonial east.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can't believe that I forgot Last of the Mohicans exists. Yeah that sound's like an interesting setting with multiple complex sides and motivations.

I was always weirded out by Dragonlance dumping stereotypical plains Native Americans in the middle of post apocalyptic Medieval Europe. The mormon influence on the story was something I didn't know about until years later. Subtext always eluded me when I was younger. Happened with Narnia too.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There's a bundle of holding out there for Mutants and Masterminds. Is that any good, or should I just save my money? I checked F&F but didn't get much out of it

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

King of Solomon posted:

There's a bundle of holding out there for Mutants and Masterminds. Is that any good, or should I just save my money? I checked F&F but didn't get much out of it

It's an okay crunchy supers game, but nothing revolutionary. If you're more into narrative stuff, definitely give it a pass.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The two takes I have heard on it when looking at what I want to use for my own supers games are paraphrased as such;

1. It does 80% of what HERO system does at like 25% of the prep.
2. Combat is boring because the efficient way to fight does not line up with any of the interesting ways to fight.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Liquid Communism posted:

110%.

Then they went even further in the wrong direction and wrote in stuff like the Foundation, which is effectively The Cloud With Technomagic. Or solved the rules issue where the solution to being hacked was to carry a bag of RFID chips because you had to pick one Running Silent icon nearby at random to test against when trying to find a hidden icon, so flooding the area made that useless... by making people explicitly able to filter RFID chips.

"There was a brief time when hackers thought they could confuse security by flooding hosts with dozens of rfid chips running silent, but once they figured out demiGODs knew enough to design their scans to screen for icons that were running silent and were not rfid chips the days of that trick were numbered."

Ten nanoseconds later every Decker on the planet reformatted their buddies' guns to claim they were RFID chips when queried.

It reminds me so much of so many editions of D&D where the "solution" to "the rules don't work" ends up always becoming "well, let's just add more rules them! Can't break things more if we just keep adding more of 'em!"

And case in point to Shadowrun trying to be too smart in their hacking, you got all that poo poo with demiGODs and RFID hacks and whatnot, and meanwhile in the real world, people are literally just yelling into mailslots to activate other peoples' Alexas, giving them control over the house.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

remusclaw posted:

The two takes I have heard on it when looking at what I want to use for my own supers games are paraphrased as such;

1. It does 80% of what HERO system does at like 25% of the prep.
2. Combat is boring because the efficient way to fight does not line up with any of the interesting ways to fight.

Bathroom psychics are definitely a thing in M&M, unfortunately. It's a very big 'gentlemen's agreement' game.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Terrible Opinions posted:

It also accidentally insentivized paladins and other people of the good aligned persuasion to keep evil bondage clubs because all the evil bondage gear items didn't take up normal magic items slots and the Book of Exalted Deeds had rules for turning them into good guy items without changing what they actually did at all.

Keeping things Safe, Sane, & Consensual is in line with Celestial ethos.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

'the funnel' isn't really a feature of classic dungeon crawls, as such. like by virtue of old school d&d levels 1-2 are super swingy but you're not just useless garbage until you complete your first adventure, then are suddenly good and competent. Intentional meat grinder design was always considered the hallmark of a bad dungeon crawl. DCC also doesn't understand that part of the appeal of dungeon crawling is getting cool if randomized treasure, and instead makes magic items astoundingly rare and gives you penalties for having more than one. That plus the like four different ways it fucks with wizards makes me feel like the author really likes STDH stories about tomb of horrors and warhammer fantasy roleplay, without ever really engaging the material they were ostensibly working from.
Nah, the 'meat grinder' dungeon only started getting pooh-poohed in the, like, late 80's or 90's. Back in the day, hard dungeons were fine, and starting characters were pretty disposable. (When running it, the feel is a lot more Paranoia-like, though, which is also fun. With the added bonus that surviving characters can level up and get actually competent.) I agree there's a bit of 'nostalgia for a game that never was' woven into the design, but that's intentional.

And the wizard stuff? In play, wizards are pretty crazy strong. There's a small potential for misfires and corruption, but most of the misfires are just funny rather than deadly, and you can always skip the corruption by burning luck.

Basically, I don't know what game you're looking at, here.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Nah, the 'meat grinder' dungeon only started getting pooh-poohed in the, like, late 80's or 90's. Back in the day, hard dungeons were fine, and starting characters were pretty disposable. (When running it, the feel is a lot more Paranoia-like, though, which is also fun. With the added bonus that surviving characters can level up and get actually competent.) I agree there's a bit of 'nostalgia for a game that never was' woven into the design, but that's intentional.

And the wizard stuff? In play, wizards are pretty crazy strong. There's a small potential for misfires and corruption, but most of the misfires are just funny rather than deadly, and you can always skip the corruption by burning luck.

Basically, I don't know what game you're looking at, here.

Instead of attempting to balance wizards like they did with every other class, they gave them a bunch of obnoxious side-effects on their stuff that's ripped directly out of WHFR and similar games, not old school D&D and derivatives. Similarly, starting as a shitfarmer who's bad at everything isn't a old school D&Dism, it's a WHFR thing, and specifically one that is greatly exaggerated in nerd folklore. Most old-school modules weren't horrific meat grinders where you were expected to lose 5 characters, again that's folklore about a handful of Gygaxian modules that people mistake for the entire genre. I wouldn't mind these design decision as much if the book wasn't actively pretending it was harkening back to old school dungeon crawling.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Did anyone play PerplexCity back in the day? I'd be interested in talking to anyone who still has a copy of Viard's "The Silver City". I went to play it for my wife while telling her about the game, and the disc has been scratched beyond recognition.

EDIT: Thanks Remusclaw for the help finding used copies that aren't $1000+!

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 8, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's not supposed to be a re-do of old school D&D. Or WFRP for that matter.

There's plenty of games for that.

It's a modern game in the spirit of old-school fantasy pulp and old-school gaming as a whole, but even moreso nostalgic memories of a game that never actually existed. With a hefty helping of "stuff we're doing because we like it."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

It's not supposed to be a re-do of old school D&D. Or WFRP for that matter.

There's plenty of games for that.

It's a modern game in the spirit of old-school fantasy pulp and old-school gaming as a whole, but even moreso nostalgic memories of a game that never actually existed. With a hefty helping of "stuff we're doing because we like it."

That's kinda rich when you call your game 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Well hey you gotta put in a little effort if you wanna sell RPGs to rubes that make purchase decisions based on nebulous internet communities.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

That's kinda rich when you call your game 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'
Why?

That was their adventure line, and they made a game to go along with it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Why?

That was their adventure line, and they made a game to go along with it.

Because it is not in fact very similar to classic dungeon crawls

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

Because it is not in fact very similar to classic dungeon crawls
No, but it was an outgrowth of their popular adventure line, also called Dungeon Crawl Classics.

This is like grogs arguing that D&D 4e would be fine, if only they didn't call it D&D.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

No, but it was an outgrowth of their popular adventure line, also called Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Did those happen to be similar to classic dungeon crawls?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

Did those happen to be similar to classic dungeon crawls?
Moreso than most that came out for 3.x, yep.

It was one of the most popular sets of third party adventures - if not the most popular.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Moreso than most that came out for 3.x, yep.

It was one of the most popular sets of third party adventures - if not the most popular.

Fair enough then. I was super irritated when I looked into it hoping for old school dungeon crawling and got something radically different though.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

This is like grogs arguing that D&D 4e would be fine, if only they didn't call it D&D.

D&D 4e would be fine if only they didn’t include an “e”.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've been calling this the Fighter Litmus Test for a few years now, and it generally holds true in my experience: if the game has a fighter-equivalent (a character class or set of options whose core gimmick is just engaging directly with the core resolution system instead of bypassing it with a limited-availability subsystem, whether that's "roll d20 to do HP damage" or something different), then if that fighter-equivalent is not both cool/engaging to play and mechanically powerful, the game is most likely badly designed.

Well I'd say The Nightmares Underneath definitely passes that litmus test, it's version of the Fighter is incredibly strong

Also all this talk about the Western genre is a big part of the reason why my idea is to do it in Space, it let's us keep a lot of the aesthetics and tropes of the Western but let's us also toss out most of the unpleasant realities that kinda taint the genre nowadays

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nightmares underneath feels like a massive pile of overlapping systems that would get confusing fast, but drat if their classes aren't cool. Fighter doing damage on a miss and double damage on a hit is great, "cultist" makes way more sense than "cleric", and the paladin equivalent is pretty interesting as well. Anyone read the follow-up, The Nameless Grimoire?

But yeah, every imaginable resolution system. From Patrick Stuart's review:

quote:

- A * in 6 d6 roll for chance events.
- A 2d6 + modifier roll for contests.
- A straight d* roll for damage. (Your Hit Die is your damage die here).
- A 2d6 pbta roll for complex-outcome stuff.
- A d20 under attribute roll for unopposed task resolution (1 crits, 20 fails).
- A d20 under half (rounded down) attribute roll for unopposed task resolution where you don't have the skill or the stuff.
- A d20 + modifier over opponent attribute roll for opposed task resolution, including combat (20 crits, 1 fails).

PLUS

- The advantage system from 5e, which can be applied to most of the above.
- Saves! This depends on the level of the threat. Your level or below means roll under attribute, higher means roll under half (rounded down) attribute.

AND

You can lose attribute scores from a lot of attacks and effects so you better keep track of those, and your original score for when you heal up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Are those all in just one game? Because I think it's missing a few if it wants to cover all the bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They missed a chance for a 3d6 roll under versus ability scores