Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish there were cloud saves between devices with Star Traders. It's much better on a tablet but could see myself playing on my phone while not at home once I learn the UI a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

a7m2 posted:

Are there any other top tier games like this for Android? Doesn't need to be even remotely similar, I'm just tired of gachas, IAP, freemium, or just generally mind-numbing poo poo. I just bought this, and I have KoDP and that's basically it.

Definitely different genres, but a selection of good non-freemium/IAP games on Android:

80 Days - v good cyoa/vn
Hoplite - puzzle
You Must Build A Boat - puzzle
Dungeon Warfare - tower defense
Reigns - tinder for stories
Banner Saga
Pocket City - city builder
Various Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions; better on tablet
All the Shadowruns (work better than the above on a phone imo)
Florence - mobile goty 2018, story
Monument Valley - puzzle
Gorogoa - puzzle
Sorcery - cyoa/story
Guild of Dungeoneering
All the various 'X Go' games ie Lara Croft Go, Hitman Go, etc.
Ridiculous Fishing

Technically IAP's, but they're basically just for buying the game:
Polytopia - best civ-lite
Solitairica - just great.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Polytopia is like a civilisation lite in all the right ways with asynchronous multiplayer that can be awesome wih friends, owns. A < £1 iap will unlock the multiplayer.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Florence was awful, and is at best a socially maladjusted cretin's attempt at representing a relationship through mangled gameified metaphors. The fact that it was given so much praise is probably more indicative of the romantically lonely life that most game journalists live.

Anyway I'll take a #2 with extra fries, please

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Florence is extremely cute, and you can read some interesting things in it. Acting like it's without value says more about you than the game.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Florence was awful, and is at best a socially maladjusted cretin's attempt at representing a relationship through mangled gameified metaphors. The fact that it was given so much praise is probably more indicative of the romantically lonely life that most game journalists live.

Anyway I'll take a #2 with extra fries, please

It was so well received because it was something that so many people could relate to. I don't think the game would be nearly as impactful if you hadn't gone through the same thing at one time or another in your life.

The actual mechanics were simple and acted as metaphors for what was happening at that moment in time. They even subtly changed throughout the story to reinforce the evolving nature of the relationship. The overall design isn't anything flashy, but the mechanics support the story in a way that makes sense while being very approachable.

The game is quite simply a well-crafted experience that resonates with a lot of people and, in my opinion, well worth the $2 and 30 minutes to play. Or if you just want to kill dragons and grind on slimes, 'Another Eden' is a pretty good game, too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

foutre posted:

Definitely different genres, but a selection of good non-freemium/IAP games on Android:

80 Days - v good cyoa/vn
Hoplite - puzzle
You Must Build A Boat - puzzle
Dungeon Warfare - tower defense
Reigns - tinder for stories
Banner Saga
Pocket City - city builder
Various Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions; better on tablet
All the Shadowruns (work better than the above on a phone imo)
Florence - mobile goty 2018, story
Monument Valley - puzzle
Gorogoa - puzzle
Sorcery - cyoa/story
Guild of Dungeoneering
All the various 'X Go' games ie Lara Croft Go, Hitman Go, etc.
Ridiculous Fishing

Technically IAP's, but they're basically just for buying the game:
Polytopia - best civ-lite
Solitairica - just great.

Actually, Shadowruns just up and loving disappeared. I couldn't find my game this morning in my library, as I was going to re-download. It was gone. I did some searching and Google pulled them for some reason and the company hasn't put it up to match their new standards. The company was emailing players back saying they would work on one up to Google's new code, but this was about 200 days ago. I'm pretty pissed that I don't get a refund.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

The Sean posted:

Actually, Shadowruns just up and loving disappeared. I couldn't find my game this morning in my library, as I was going to re-download. It was gone. I did some searching and Google pulled them for some reason and the company hasn't put it up to match their new standards. The company was emailing players back saying they would work on one up to Google's new code, but this was about 200 days ago. I'm pretty pissed that I don't get a refund.

Yeah, the Dev (HareBrained Schemes) did the same thing on iOS - They just hosed off when the iOS 11 (10?) update hit and told all their customers to take a hike.

They're a poo poo company so dont expect anything.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Potsticker posted:

Oh yeah, okay I see. I'll check out the thread for it, because that does look interesting. I already own like three Trese Brothers games and the only one I managed to put significant time into is Cyber Knight if only because of how dense they are to understand and get into.
Good news. The Trese Brothers' next game is going to be a sequel to Cyber Knights. It should be pretty great if it has the same sort of evolution as Star Traders -> Star Traders: Frontiers.

explosivo posted:

I wish there were cloud saves between devices with Star Traders. It's much better on a tablet but could see myself playing on my phone while not at home once I learn the UI a bit more.
They are looking into cross-platform saves for that and to transfer between mobile and PC.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
So is that Star Traders enjoyable on a normal sized phone or merely tolerable? It seems fun but I could see being annoyed by thumbing through a complex and tiny UI.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I love the game but I wouldn't play it on anything smaller than a Note.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's fine on my S9 which isn't particularly big.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kris xK posted:

Yeah, the Dev (HareBrained Schemes) did the same thing on iOS - They just hosed off when the iOS 11 (10?) update hit and told all their customers to take a hike.

Where did they tell people to take a hike? Legit curious, I didn't realize they'd done this but the most recent info I can find bout it is from late 2018.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Sean posted:

EA did that with Jade Empire as well. One of the new Android versions broke their game, so instead of fixing it, they just stopped letting you download it anymore. Real lovely practice.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
So I can pair my Android phone with my DS4 controller successfully but I can't actually do anything with it. As in it's like nothing gets through. I want to use it to play emulated games on a controller so this is kinda crappy, anyone have any suggestions?
HUAWEI P9 lite, Android 7.0, EMUI 5.0.4

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Where did they tell people to take a hike? Legit curious, I didn't realize they'd done this but the most recent info I can find bout it is from late 2018.

It's a turn of phrase. Ignoring pleas to update the game so it's playable on up to date systems is, in effect, the same as telling your customers to gently caress off because you don't have time for them.

Might be justified, because you think it will not make you any money as a company. But it's still telling your customers to get lost and leave you alone already.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 10, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Funso Banjo posted:

It's a turn of phrase. Ignoring pleas to update the game so it's playable on up to date systems is, in effect, the same as telling your customers to gently caress off because you don't have time for them.

Might be justified, because you think it will not make you any money as a company. But it's still telling your customers to get lost and leave you alone already.

The real winning move was to not update to iOS 11

But it's literally that second one. Why spend time and money making it work if the money isn't worth it?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Bushmaori posted:

So I can pair my Android phone with my DS4 controller successfully but I can't actually do anything with it. As in it's like nothing gets through. I want to use it to play emulated games on a controller so this is kinda crappy, anyone have any suggestions?
HUAWEI P9 lite, Android 7.0, EMUI 5.0.4

If I remember right you need to also connect the controller to the phone with a micro USB cable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can get ps4 controllers to work over Bluetooth, but it's a huge pain, there's often input lag if you don't go through a bunch of other steps, and as near as I can tell there's no way to change the key bindings unless you root your phone.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You can get ps4 controllers to work over Bluetooth, but it's a huge pain, there's often input lag if you don't go through a bunch of other steps, and as near as I can tell there's no way to change the key bindings unless you root your phone.

Seconding this. I never managed to get a DS4 work without lag over bluetooth on two of my phones. Maybe the more recent DS4's work better, who knows...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BoldFace posted:

Seconding this. I never managed to get a DS4 work without lag over bluetooth on two of my phones. Maybe the more recent DS4's work better, who knows...

I was eventually able to get rid of the leg using a third party bluetooth app and a lot of futzing with stuff that I didn't really understand, but the button configuration was weird with the emulator I was using.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Funso Banjo posted:

Companies can't be expected to keep updating old software (inc. games) to run on new OS versions forever either. This issue is Apple's fault, not Harebrained or the other companies whose stuff stops working due to Apple's forced obsolescence OS improvements.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for the heads up dudes, I'll get a male to male cord and try that out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As I understand it iOS 11 requires 64-bit programs, and the Shadowrun games are 32-bit. This is not a one-line-of-code compatibility update fix, this is completely different infrastructure.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bruceski posted:

As I understand it iOS 11 requires 64-bit programs, and the Shadowrun games are 32-bit. This is not a one-line-of-code compatibility update fix, this is completely different infrastructure.

Yeah but you see I paid for the game one time and demand they support and update it forever

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Kris xK posted:

It could have a lot to do with the fact that Paradox bought them out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
maybe don't release games for ios or android that you can't easily update because they get updated 10x as frequently as a pc or console hmmm maybe then you won't have to literally steal a game people have paid for

It'd be one thing if they stopped support for the game, but they removed it from libraries and removed any proof it had ever been purchased, let people keep it so if they really want they could downgrade to play it or whatever, there was no good reason to memory hole it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Apple and Android are not in the habit of listing incompatible games in their store. You may be mad at the wrong people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bruceski posted:

Apple and Android are not in the habit of listing incompatible games in their store. You may be mad at the wrong people.

Actually Apple lists incompatible poo poo all the time. Android is the one that hides it from your device.

Source: I had an old rear end iPod running on iOS 6 and getting apps on it was a nightmare. Everything in the appstore said it was incompatible so you would have to get on a newer device/itunes to "buy" the app which would make the appstore ask "Do you want to download an older version of this insead? It might not work you know"

It still isn't the devs fault that Apple and Android both broke poo poo in the upgrade though. That's like getting mad at someone for a game from the 90's not running on Windows 10. How dare they release a game that I can no longer play!

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Another Eden ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.wfs.anothereden&hl=en_US ) was briefly mentioned before and having played it for a week or two, I have to say I really enjoy it. There is a gacha element to get characters, but I've played a long time without feeling a need to spend money and its otherwise just a pretty great JRPG for free. Completely single player, no PvP or friends lists.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Gilg posted:

Another Eden ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.wfs.anothereden&hl=en_US ) was briefly mentioned before and having played it for a week or two, I have to say I really enjoy it. There is a gacha element to get characters, but I've played a long time without feeling a need to spend money and its otherwise just a pretty great JRPG for free. Completely single player, no PvP or friends lists.

Yeah there's definitely no burning need to do the gacha. Like, at all. It feels like a pure JRPG with a gacha tacked on. And if it helps anyone, the writer and the composer both worked on Chrono Trigger and there are some blatant Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross references in the game, which is loving awesome.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Gacha becomes much more important as you get to the end of the first arc and into the second arc. I played the game's JP version and there are several hard walls if you don't have decked out characters or one of a few very broken ones. Still a great game.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Len posted:

That's like getting mad at someone for a game from the 90's not running on Windows 10. How dare they release a game that I can no longer play!

Yeah, good point. I forgot that I bought Shadowrun for my smartphone two years ago thirty years ago in the 1990s.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Sean posted:

Yeah, good point. I forgot that I bought Shadowrun for my smartphone two years ago thirty years ago in the 1990s.

Game came out in 2013 which was 5 Android updates ago and 6 iOS. Is it lovely? Yes, but are you really expecting them to go back and fix this poo poo for free?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Len posted:

Game came out in 2013 which was 5 Android updates ago and 6 iOS. Is it lovely? Yes, but are you really expecting them to go back and fix this poo poo for free?

Weird. You likened it to coming out in the nineties and now you're saying 2013. Maybe don't exaggerate your point in the future.

It doesn't change the fact that I bought this two years ago, either. I never said that they have to go back and update it for free. Even so, it's not "for free" its "with revenue directly tied to the product."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Len posted:

Do you know someone who works for that lovely company or something

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Verranicus posted:

Do you know someone who works for that lovely company or something

Nope and I think I own it for Android from a humble bundle. But them not updating it is literally no different than a company not bringing something from the 90's up to modern specs.

The Sean posted:

It doesn't change the fact that I bought this two years ago, either. I never said that they have to go back and update it for free. Even so, it's not "for free" its "with revenue directly tied to the product."

And if there isn't anymore revenue for the product? Is it worth dedicating resources to updating it then? Paradox probably doesn't think so since nothing has been said since after Harebrained were bought by them.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Len posted:

And if there isn't anymore revenue for the product? Is it worth dedicating resources to updating it then? Paradox probably doesn't think so since nothing has been said since after Harebrained were bought by them.

You have a basic-rear end grasp of business. In a last-round game theory way, you're correct that there would be no reason to support it. But this is real life, and there are next rounds. The company has the revenue generated by people having bought the game. The revenue is already generated so "and if there isn't any more revenue" doesn't have to matter. They have money to update it if they want (and, again, don't act like I'm forcing them to). Companies, in many cases, should and do factor in upkeep as a cost that they will have to/can choose to incur to keep their products running and customers happy. poo poo, day one patches are more of a rule than exception anymore. "Why update the game though if you already have the money?" is your question and it makes no sense. Back to game theory, if they decide to release another Shadowrun game this looks like poo poo and could hurt potential sales due to the chance that buying their new Shadowrun game could result in the game disappearing. Extend that even further and now Paradox is the company that I won't trust with my money.

Back to your question "And if there isn't anymore revenue for the product?" It's impossible for there to be more revenue if the product isn't in stores, you idiot. That's the whole point of this coming up. To wrap the derail up, as I won't respond to you on this anymore, literally the reason I brought this up was that it was on a list of recommended games that someone asked for and I appropriately mentioned that it doesn't exist anymore--contributing to the discussion.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 11, 2019

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Len posted:

Nope and I think I own it for Android from a humble bundle. But them not updating it is literally no different than a company not bringing something from the 90's up to modern specs.

I think you don't know what "literally no different" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Companies not updating their games past OS updates is the reason I will never purchase a SquareEnix game on mobile.