Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My profs are required to pick texts available as e-books in the online library since it's a distance program. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
I am fortunate in that the Head of the Microelectronics program hates the College Bookstore complex. of the 6 program specific classes, he has one that requires a book. That book is available for download for free as long as its done from a campus IP address.
since I have the Gen Ed stuff out of the way, I am getting hit for a $200 bookstore bill per semester on the other classes. That's the Digital Electronics and Logic class.

The downside is he is a sadist. He took away the Vacuum pens and made us move chip dies with tweezers this week.
This is a die at 50x magnification, and is what happens when you slip with the tweezers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Nightmare mode game of Operation.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

Nightmare mode game of Operation.

Pretty much.
Here they are without a Microscope...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
So far the only book I've bought that I know I'll use vocationally is the citation bluebook for law. My real prop professor is having us buy his book, or otherwise only study cases he's personally worked on. I want to be a tenured professor :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My grad social theory professor made us buy his book but he donated the money to a charity of your choosing. Send him the receipt and he would send you back proof of his donation, in your name or his if you didn't really care. He only got like 20% of the sales so really he was just giving away his money.

His reasoning "all the other books are trash, that's why I wrote this one" and also that he previously just gave away the books for free but they cracked down on him doing it.

Our class ran 7:35-10:30 or something so come around 9pm he was one of those profs that was like 'eh, gently caress it, I'm getting a drink' and we would just continue the class at the bar just off campus.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I have no idea how the gently caress I'm going to pull off having my pec tendon re-anchored to my humerus while taking 15 credits, 3 of which are basically me taking over the practical hands-on teaching (as a TA) for a babby's first barbell resistance training class. Shouldn't be horrific, but I'm anticipating being a little more "fun" than usual for a couple weeks.

Side bonus: Titanium screws in my arm! I'M BIONIC, BITCH!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't have high hopes for my digital systems class. The professor just teaches to a powerpoint, and his first language was clearly Spanish. So he just does an example of binary or something and says "clear?" and then a few slides later I figure out what the hell he was even talking about. Today I had to correct him that the boolean equation he wrote didn't work for the example. Makes me wonder what else he got wrong but I didn't know because I didn't understand it yet. It's even more frustrating because he's the only professor that teaches the class in the entire college district. I don't know if he actually knows this stuff or if he just got good at memorizing the slides.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Getting pretty heavy into my presentation on pitching a tourism campaign for Italy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Getting pretty heavy into my presentation on pitching a tourism campaign for Italy.

I can imagine that requires a lot of work.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I can imagine that requires a lot of work.

It can or can’t depending on the professor. The guy teaching the class now is a copywriter by trade, so he’s very much into the ideas and execution. If it was someone with a media background, there would be a huge emphasis on research, planning, and strategy + tactics. That’s a lot of work.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hit me up if you need any ideas. Especially in the Florence area.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Visit beautiful Vicenza!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just gonna use clips from Asassin’s Creed 2 as creative concepts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Or the Hitman sapienza level

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Visit beautiful Vicenza!

There are these cool hostels that had these sheds you slept in at night for like 10 euro or something. Bus ride to the city center. Il traffico é molte male ma parccheiaggare é morto.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I have no idea how the gently caress I'm going to pull off having my pec tendon re-anchored to my humerus while taking 15 credits, 3 of which are basically me taking over the practical hands-on teaching (as a TA) for a babby's first barbell resistance training class. Shouldn't be horrific, but I'm anticipating being a little more "fun" than usual for a couple weeks.

Side bonus: Titanium screws in my arm! I'M BIONIC, BITCH!

Welcome to the illustrious club of titanium augmented humans.

Now we just need one more leg, a pair of arms, maybe a dude with a cranial plate, and we can do some poor man's Voltron poo poo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Schadenfreude is augmented. What a shame.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have titanium clamps on my vas deferens :toot:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
You're saying we have a second leg to stand on?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welcome to the illustrious club of titanium augmented humans.

Now we just need one more leg, a pair of arms, maybe a dude with a cranial plate, and we can do some poor man's Voltron poo poo

Whats up arm hardware buddy

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't have high hopes for my digital systems class. The professor just teaches to a powerpoint, and his first language was clearly Spanish. So he just does an example of binary or something and says "clear?" and then a few slides later I figure out what the hell he was even talking about. Today I had to correct him that the boolean equation he wrote didn't work for the example. Makes me wonder what else he got wrong but I didn't know because I didn't understand it yet. It's even more frustrating because he's the only professor that teaches the class in the entire college district. I don't know if he actually knows this stuff or if he just got good at memorizing the slides.

What all is covered in the syllabus?
Is your program ABET Accredited? If so, there is poo poo he HAS to teach you. Try to dig up a syllabus from another digital electronics course for reference, PM Me, and I can send you mine.
I had a Math professor like that, it sucked. I would strongly suggest going off the syllabus and working your way through the book with youtube as a tutor.
Cover your bases, and collect as much evidence as you can that he is a shitbag Teacher. The whole math class ended up going to the Dean with all the poo poo we accumulated, and he ended up getting fired for not following the guidelines or ensuring we understood the material.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Tax question:

I received some grants and scholarships from school, including the Pell grant.

$32,444 was the total amount of financial aid, according to Box 5 on my 1098-T. Is the answer to this question really as simple as looking in my school account ledger and tallying up the total amount of money the VA sent my school throughout CY2018?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
:ssh: I never filled in those boxes :ssh:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
GI bill money is an entitlement

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As far as I'm aware both GI bill tuition, stipend, and pell grants are all non-taxable entitlements.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Turns out I'm going to be first author on this paper I've been writing since mid-January about the research I did last semester. I thought it was going to be part of my senior project grade at the end of this semester. It's pretty cool that it's turning out this way but it also means what I have so far is utter poo poo. :v:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

As far as I'm aware both GI bill tuition, stipend, and pell grants are all non-taxable entitlements.

yeah I didnt even have to file taxes for the few years I was living off gi bill BAH by itself. When I filed last year it was because I had pulled all the money out of my TSP.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

brand engager posted:

yeah I didnt even have to file taxes for the few years I was living off gi bill BAH by itself. When I filed last year it was because I had pulled all the money out of my TSP.
:aaa: to put in an IRA and convert to Roth, I hope..

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
another lab tech position opened at my university. Working on my cover letter:

"The job is 10 hours a week at 10 dollars an hour -- you want three professional references for that? Do you really need to hear from the manager of a grocery store or a coffee shop about how well I can clean glassware? Where the hell would some 20-year old undergrad have three "professional" references from?

This particular intersection of capitalism and education has disgusted me. Reading this job listing is one one of these moments where I can tell with absolute crystal clarity that going to college was a seriously bad decision for me. I'd rather get evicted from my student apartment hovel than come grovel for $75/wk, and I pity any of my fellow students who feel differently.

None of those questions were literal inquiries; please don't contact me."

what do you guys think? I dunno it just doesn't flow right to me, but I'm not sure how to re-arrange it
he's not a professor, he's a lab manager at some other part of campus, so I have no idea what kind of backlash I would face from sending this guy a GFY letter

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean it's not that terrible if you think of it as a paid internship. Otoh asking for professional references based on that is :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It’s not like they can really punish you for being sarcastic?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I assumed you would get kicked out of the university for formally on the record telling a professor to go gently caress themselves, but to be totally honest, I really have no idea what kind of actual administrative consequences would come about from such a thing

i hate all these loving people now and I sincerely wish I had dropped out after freshman year and failing Calc 2 the first time, so I wouldn't have to hear all this "you can't drop out now, you're too close to graduating" horseshit. Attending university is #3 on my list of bad life decisions right under Re-enlisting at #1 and Enlisting at #2.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DownByTheWooter posted:

Attending university is #3 on my list of bad life decisions right under Re-enlisting at #1 and Enlisting at #2.

Same. I still (ideally) have a year left. Even with the GI bill being here has been a net expense and loss of interesting opportunities

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Alright, I'm sick of the ambiguity regarding grades at my school and I've decided to contest one of my grades.

This guy's syllabus says 35% of the grade is determined by attendance and participation. I missed the first class because I wasn't enrolled in the class yet, so he counted that against me, losing attendance/participation for the day. Then my wife gave birth to our son, so he counted me out for that day as well.

The thing is-everything else I aced or assume I aced. The mid-term I got a 98% on, the grading criteria for the final exam was essentially 'fill this book out with everything you learned this semester', so I don't see how I could have gotten anything less than a 100% on that since it was such a lax criteria, and he said I gave the best presentation in the class. So if you factor everything into his grading system, even counting those two absences against me, I get a 94% in the class, but he gave me a B+.

I asked him about it via e-mail over the winter break, and he said I missed some classes and that's why it's impossible for me to get an A in the class. I explained my math to him and how it didn't work in accordance with his syllabus, and he just quoted his earlier e-mail to me, saying I missed two classes so I can't get an A.

Professors around here seem to throw random grades around and I'm sick of it. There's some finance and math-geared classes where the instructor actually applies a reasonable curve and explains how they reached the grades that everyone got, but this guy gave us feedback on only the mid-term assignment-everything else I've had to pull out of him and his answers still aren't sufficient, so I'm calling him out on it.

Next step is the chairperson of the accounting department and I've sent him an e-mail, so we'll see where this goes. It's not as drastic as failing a class when I thought I had passed it, but when the guy can't even explain the numbers around why I am receiving a certain grade, it doesn't make sense that should be allowed to happen.

Ended up winning my argument. I explained my situation to the chair of the accounting department-he was surprised the teacher docked me points for missing class due to the birth of my son, but he said he needed to investigate it a bit.

Fast forward a week, and my professor sends ME an e-mail but with the header "Dear Chairperson"...guessing he just hosed up the e-mail address since he was talking about me. Anyways, in his e-mail, he provides the chair a breakdown of my grades-which doesn't even correlate to the e-mails he had sent me and the original interpretation of the grades.

So I sit on that for a day, then I forward it to the Chair saying "Pretty sure he meant for this to go to you...let me know if you need anything else."

Next day I get an e-mail from the Professor saying "in retrospect you deserve an A. Your professionalism in how you handled this really made a difference."

No dude, you can't keep your loving story straight and you suck. Thanks for the A though, and making me jump through a big set of hoops to get it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Heh, sounds like professor man had to gobble up a big ol' turd sandwich.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DownByTheWooter posted:

I assumed you would get kicked out of the university for formally on the record telling a professor to go gently caress themselves, but to be totally honest, I really have no idea what kind of actual administrative consequences would come about from such a thing

i hate all these loving people now and I sincerely wish I had dropped out after freshman year and failing Calc 2 the first time, so I wouldn't have to hear all this "you can't drop out now, you're too close to graduating" horseshit. Attending university is #3 on my list of bad life decisions right under Re-enlisting at #1 and Enlisting at #2.

Can't these references be previous teachers? I could probably give you a reference if you're still at CU since I'm an alumnus.

School can get incredibly frustrating. I've been making use of the University CAPS program and also got some help from my professors with respect to professional development. Talking to some of your current professors about the job opportunity or for direction for professional development can be super helpful. I would've been lost if I wouldn't have asked for help a year ago

The office of student veteran affairs also has a bunch of friendly and helpful people who can probably set you in the right direction.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 14, 2019

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

DownByTheWooter posted:

I advise college students and this is about 50% of my students. Just find three professors to give references or hell, even like the vet center or some dumb poo poo. Don't even bother with stupid poo poo. Explain in general what you did in the military. Make it clear you're older, more mature and can easily handle bullshit. It also sounds like you choose the wrong major. Not being a dick but I have seen too many Engineers/Scientists graduate and go become circus performers or baseball coaches. Not even kidding. One of my former advisees was a clown and another turned down a Boeing Job to coach Baseball. Both are happier. And at my school loving Calc 2 is the biggest issue with everybody. I just had a new Green to Gold ROTC guy switch majors because of the assholes that teach Calc 2 and how difficult they make it.

And, TBH, you can't get kicked out for telling a Prof to gently caress themselves. Only if:
A. they report it.
B. The administration decides to take action
I doubt it would be getting expelled. Especially if it's a first complaint.

I work at a STEM school in a non-Engineer-y or Science role. Ask me anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Calc 2 seemed like it was the hardest one. I'm currently in Calc 3 and it's Calc 1 again but with a third dimension and vectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Can't believe I'm enjoying math but here we are in the alternate dimension world, so anything can happen.