Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.cnet.com/products/polk-audio-tsx-330t-speaker/

Nope, you got the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is this the right thing?

It came in an s55 box

Looks like a Polk TSx 330T: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHHCBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_G2lrCb1XMDTCH

Edit: beaten

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It also looks like it was dropped.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Cool, thanks a bunch for confirming.
Yeah it was marked as used-very good s55 and noted some cosmetic damage, but it was $220 so it seemed good enough. Not if its the wrong product though lol

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That speaker is like $150 at best.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

KillHour posted:

That speaker is like $150 at best.

Yeah once I knew the product it was easy to find a price. I'll probably return it today once I box it back up

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah once I knew the product it was easy to find a price. I'll probably return it today once I box it back up

Get in touch with Amazon customer service and bitch hard enough and you probably won't have to send that back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How much do you want to bet somebody upgraded and "returned" it?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

fknlo posted:

Get in touch with Amazon customer service and bitch hard enough and you probably won't have to send that back.

I probably should but I don't really need it and that sounds like a hassle

KillHour posted:

How much do you want to bet somebody upgraded and "returned" it?

Probably really high, though you'd think amazon would have noticed when it noted cosmetic damage so someone looked at it I assume

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

You should still speak with customer service lest someone blame you for returning a cheaper speaker than the one you got. The "wrong product received" return reason is only good for so much, and might get rejected if they see the box is correct.

The closest thing that this happened to me with once was a holster I ordered from Amazon that was the right packaging but the wrong product. I contacted customer support and they said they'd notate the details on the account in case there was any issue with the return processing. I don't know if there was any but everything worked out fine for me and all I had to do was a little amazon service chat while at work.

Also, was amazon proper the seller or a reseller or a "fulfilled by Amazon"?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

shortspecialbus posted:

You should still speak with customer service lest someone blame you for returning a cheaper speaker than the one you got. The "wrong product received" return reason is only good for so much, and might get rejected if they see the box is correct.

The closest thing that this happened to me with once was a holster I ordered from Amazon that was the right packaging but the wrong product. I contacted customer support and they said they'd notate the details on the account in case there was any issue with the return processing. I don't know if there was any but everything worked out fine for me and all I had to do was a little amazon service chat while at work.

Also, was amazon proper the seller or a reseller or a "fulfilled by Amazon"?

Amazon Warehouse was the seller which is why this was a bit unexpected, and had me questioning if there were like different types of finishes on the s55 or something. I had a chat with a rep just to be safe, and he claimed I shouldn't have an issue getting a refund.

Btw thanks for making this post Killhour. I used it as a guide, not knowing much else about home audio.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Amazon Warehouse was the seller which is why this was a bit unexpected, and had me questioning if there were like different types of finishes on the s55 or something. I had a chat with a rep just to be safe, and he claimed I shouldn't have an issue getting a refund.

Btw thanks for making this post Killhour. I used it as a guide, not knowing much else about home audio.

:tipshat:

We really need to update the OP with some basic budget recommendations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How are older bookshelf B&W speakers for general music and games? I see them pop up a lot now when looking for used speakers. Talking about DM601 S1-3, 602 686, 685?

I've run an ancient eltax hollywood 5.1 set since 2002ish, and I'm looking at maybe upgrading the fronts.

This is their current range. Mine looks really similar to the experience 5 pack, but with smaller fronts.

It's a small room, maybe 12*20 feet and I don't watch movies on that pc anymore. I play games, watch some youtubes and surf with some youtube synthwave/stoner/doom for background soundtrack.

I use hdmi from the pc to a pioneer vsx-922.

With youtube as the general source of sound, should I even bother upgrading?

Any other models I should look for? Located in Norway.

Those b&W speakers are 150-300 usd used depending on model. As an example the polk s55(pair) is for sale here for 450ish usd and would fit in the room physically.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 29, 2019

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Edit : Oops....

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Supradog posted:

How are older bookshelf B&W speakers for general music and games? I see them pop up a lot now when looking for used speakers. Talking about DM601 S1-3, 602 686, 685?

I've run an ancient eltax hollywood 5.1 set since 2002ish, and I'm looking at maybe upgrading the fronts.

This is their current range. Mine looks really similar to the experience 5 pack, but with smaller fronts.

It's a small room, maybe 12*20 feet and I don't watch movies on that pc anymore. I play games, watch some youtubes and surf with some youtube synthwave/stoner/doom for background soundtrack.

I used hdmi from the pc to a pioneer vsx-922.

With youtube as the general source of sound, should I even bother upgrading?

Any other models I should look for? Located in Norway.

Those b&W speakers are 150-300 usd used depending on model. As an example the polk s55(pair) is for sale here for 450ish usd and would fit in the room physically.

I'm in Norway too, and have gone through a bunch of B&W bookshelf speakers. My current set is a pair of DM602 S2 which I picked up for 1000kr, and they should be more than enough speaker for anyone when it comes to home use.

I will say that they are incredibly versatile when it comes to use for gaming, movies and music, but the biggest issue I have had with them has been placement. They pretty much need dedicated stands and to get up from the floor. If you just have them sitting on a surface and a bit low, the bass will overpower absolutely everything else. The smaller models will be less sensitive to placement than the 602s.

The sound quality is great on any B&W, just look out for dented tweeters. Those are cheap and easy to replace anyway, and could get you a good discount. Any B&W should match just fine with your Pioneer.

You can also look for a pair of Tannoy V1 or V1i, which are really good. Yamaha NS-333s should also be plentiful on Finn (our Craigslist equivalent). Switching to Tannoy or B&W will be a huge step up from your Eltax, and I highly recommend it!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not sure what the specific situation in Norway is but I'm super happy with my Cantons, if you see anything in the Chrono, Chrono SL or Vento series for sale they might be worth a look. B&Ws are good too, to my ears they have more of a "house sound" than other speakers but a lot of people like it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tannoy, Dali and B&W are widespread in Norway and you can usually find some good deals on Finn.no. All of those brands should pair up decently with that Pioneer as well.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind.

I'll go for a pair of B&W 601 S3 with stands. Dude was local and he'll drop em off here tonight.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How much did you end up paying? The B&W 601 S3 are solid speakers, you can't really go wrong with them.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I got em for 2000 nok(235usd) with the stands. Cheapest I saw locally was around 1500, but lacking the front covers or stand. 607/606 are 5000/ 6800 new and can't find any of those used yet it seems. Used 685 are around 4000(470usd).

I've been playing various music on them for a couple of hours now, I'm happy with the sound. It sounds much better than the old ones. To try to put it into terms they seem to be richer and have more depth to the sound.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 29, 2019

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Supradog posted:

I got em for 2000 nok(235usd) with the stands. Cheapest I saw locally was around 1500, but lacking the front covers or stand. 607/606 are 5000/ 6800 new and can't find any of those used yet it seems. Used 685 are around 4000(470usd).

I've been playing various music on them for a couple of hours now, I'm happy with the sound. It sounds much better than the old ones. To try to put it into terms they seem to be richer and have more depth to the sound.

Congratulations, excellent choice! Hope you enjoy them! I use the same stands on mine, just in silver.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've gotten the itch to upgrade more speakers.

What is a good sub to pair with my b&w 601s?

Mind you I got a small room. I live in an apartment building with neighbors in all directions except out the balcony. The setup won't be used for movies. A little deeper notes for musical use.

I've looked at the Yamaha range and the smallest one is looking interesting. Lfe Crossover and volume adjust my receiver can handle, no need for dials on the sub.

Svs sb-1000 and Dali swa-12s can be had used for the same price as the Yamaha sw200 new.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

An 8" 100w subwoofer isn't going to do very much. Get the SVS.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When it comes to subs, the answer is pretty much always SVS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wibla posted:

When it comes to subs, the answer is pretty much always SVS.

If you can afford to and don't want to build your own, yes I'd agree. There are certainly other fine options out there, though.

We need to be careful to avoid the fanboyism that tends to infect audiophile communities.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hi hello how you all, I just bought a new telly, a sony af8 oled thing and anyway I've got this pretty old and lovely LG 5.1 setup with an almost as old sony receiver and my new telly is too big and has literally zero clearance under the stand so that my centre speaker is now sitting right next to the left front.

My question is it possible to set up the system in a way that uses the internal tv speakers as the centre channel and the rest of the speakers as normally. I bit of playing around as led me to believe this is not possible with the equipment I currently have but with the right equipment is it conceivably possible?

Thank u god bless

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

If you can afford to and don't want to build your own, yes I'd agree. There are certainly other fine options out there, though.

We need to be careful to avoid the fanboyism that tends to infect audiophile communities.

Yeah, they're not anything special, they just tend to be very good for the price, especially if you find one used. There are certainly other options out there, especially DIY if you're not all thumbs and know how to do basic woodworking.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Hi hello how you all, I just bought a new telly, a sony af8 oled thing and anyway I've got this pretty old and lovely LG 5.1 setup with an almost as old sony receiver and my new telly is too big and has literally zero clearance under the stand so that my centre speaker is now sitting right next to the left front.

My question is it possible to set up the system in a way that uses the internal tv speakers as the centre channel and the rest of the speakers as normally. I bit of playing around as led me to believe this is not possible with the equipment I currently have but with the right equipment is it conceivably possible?

Thank u god bless

The answer to your specific question is no, and most likely (and hopefully) there isn't equipment out there that will do that. There is however a very good chance that you can set your Sony receiver up to do 4.1, and not lose a whole lot of experience.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

An 8" 100w subwoofer isn't going to do very much. Get the SVS.

Unless it's in a Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Supradog posted:

Svs sb-1000 and Dali swa-12s can be had used for the same price as the Yamaha sw200 new.

I'm very happy with my two SWA-12s, but the SVS has more power. Go with the SVS.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

evobatman posted:

The answer to your specific question is no, and most likely (and hopefully) there isn't equipment out there that will do that. There is however a very good chance that you can set your Sony receiver up to do 4.1, and not lose a whole lot of experience.

Good idea thanks

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelves or nearfield monitors. My current amp is a Lepai 2020. Max budget is around $250, which I would only spend if they were mind-blowingly amazing, and I'd prefer something used. Are there any decent suggestions for low budget stuff?

Right now I'm using a pair of JVCs from Goodwill that I got for $5, and their low volume performance leaves something to be desired.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelves or nearfield monitors. My current amp is a Lepai 2020. Max budget is around $250, which I would only spend if they were mind-blowingly amazing, and I'd prefer something used. Are there any decent suggestions for low budget stuff?

Sony Cores are a solid bet. Maybe also look at Jamo S 803, Q Acoustics 3010, Wavecrest HVL-1, RSL CG-3 or Micca MB42X. If you could push your budget a bit these are a good deal.

Shopping used is the best way to get a good price just remember to look up the speakers and make sure they're pretty sensitive [maybe 88dB or up] since 2020s aren't exactly power monsters.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

qirex posted:

Shopping used is the best way to get a good price just remember to look up the speakers and make sure they're pretty sensitive [maybe 88dB or up] since 2020s aren't exactly power monsters.

How much value is there in spending another $100 (or total package $350-400) on a different amp? I'm seeing some posts about the TPA 3116 paired with a chinese tube preamp...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really like my TPA3116 as a power amp, but I haven't been able to locate a cheap preamp for less than I'd be able to get a whole 80s era solid state amo for in the first place.

There are a few chinese kit/pcb preamps around, but for some reason most of them seem to need 12VAC not DC.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don Dongington posted:

There are a few chinese kit/pcb preamps around, but for some reason most of them seem to need 12VAC not DC.

That is because it's much easier to derive both the positive and negative voltage you need for an amplifier, from an AC source. If you use a DC source, you need to create that negative voltage, which takes more components and drive up costs, and introduces a potential source of noise.

The JDS Atom is probably the best preamp/headphone amp out there, if you don't need multiple inputs, and it's $100.

If you literally just need a volume control, the Fostex PC-1e is inexpensive and awesome. Unbeatable knob feel for the price.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 24, 2019

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Would like a 2-3 band EQ to put between my CCA and the amp ideally. Graphic EQ would be great but nobody seems to make them anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schiit still makes the Loki, I think? 4-band tone control with bass, low mid, high mid and treble.

Graphic EQs still exist, but mostly in the pro audio sphere. And Behringer has the DEQ2496, which is like an all-singing, all-dancing, room-correcting super EQ box.

Or go second-hand, lots of graphic EQs out there.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Schiit still makes the Loki, I think? 4-band tone control with bass, low mid, high mid and treble.

Graphic EQs still exist, but mostly in the pro audio sphere. And Behringer has the DEQ2496, which is like an all-singing, all-dancing, room-correcting super EQ box.

Or go second-hand, lots of graphic EQs out there.

Buy a nice half rack and fill it with EQs, compressors, and a nice patch panel :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rack mount everything.

Every. Thing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drowninginflame/5979617910/