Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan_Shore posted:

I assume that all the landlord-hating people are American, and that's because they have no rights or legal recourse against bad landlords like other countries?

The USA depending on the state actually has somewhat better tenant protection laws than many other countries, probably because of the whole Great Depression thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sneakyfrog posted:

also because recently "affordable" homes started getting snapped the gently caress up en masse by large companies and rented at steep rates, (at least where i live anyway) the average rent is over double what i pay on my mortgage

Or landlords refuse to build anything other than luxury apartments, and will literally let them sit empty for years rather than lower the asking price.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

xtal posted:

No, they're property-is-theft communists

Doc Hawkins posted:

Personal use: personal property, normal and okay

Profitable use: private property, :commissar:

I am also an American though. I live in San Francisco, which many people will tell you has laws which overwhelmingly favor tenants, but they haven't seen "overwhelming" yet.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

You're a victim of the system, not a perpetrator of it.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but my confusion is about the the practial logistics of the situation. Specifically, if my landlord is commiting an immoral act by renting me my apartment, then surely they should stop doing so? And then, where does that leave me?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The USA depending on the state actually has somewhat better tenant protection laws than many other countries, probably because of the whole Great Depression thing.

Ah then I have no idea what's happening

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crimpolioni posted:

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but my confusion is about the the practial logistics of the situation. Specifically, if my landlord is commiting an immoral act by renting me my apartment, then surely they should stop doing so? And then, where does that leave me?

I think they expect that you should just be permitted to live there for free.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in utopia-land that would be ideal really. along with all sorts of rad things that cant happen because the poor job creators musnt be bothered

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Crimpolioni posted:

I think you are explaining it fine, in bad faith

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dramicus posted:

I'll take your word for it, but I've never seen that happen. Asking to touch someone's hair is really weird.

90% of the Facebook posts made by a black acquaintance of mine is about how people touch her hair without permission. It's crazy.

Alan_Shore posted:

I assume that all the landlord-hating people are American, and that's because they have no rights or legal recourse against bad landlords like other countries?

In Norway we have rent-control and landlords are still a bunch of parasitic bastards.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think you are explaining it fine, in bad faith

Okay. So is there an obvious answer, or...?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yes but involves a lack of personal profit along with a sense of altruism, also it will likely cost tax dollars on a practical short term scale.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so basically impossible.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Landlords are bad because they will gently caress you over without a second thought in order to make an extra buck. It's not terribly complicated. They've also managed to convince a bunch of people that they're actually doing their tenants a favor by allowing them to subsidize their lifestyles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Wow I'm really excited to see what brand new revolutionary ideas on landlords, tenancy, and rent the r/relationshits thread will come up with. Fascinating stuff guys

The guy with no penis: don't they have plastic surgery that can rebuild like, something at least? I know it's not gonna be exactly the same as what trans men would get, but there's a lot of precedent there that implies we have the technology to at least make a meat tube and stick it on in the right place.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

QuarkJets posted:

I found Pete's younger brother, he's living in the shadow of his big brother and isn't as successful but gosh darn it he's trying

AITA for being cold to my cheating ex girlfriend?

Stand fast young Petey.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Crimpolioni posted:

So let's say an aggressive taxation policy targeted at landlords makes it so your landlord can no longer profitably rent out your building, nor can they afford to hold onto it and eat the taxes on an empty building. They're going to want to sell the building, piecemeal by apartment if needs be.

Right now multi-unit buildings are rarely structured for individual sale except for the tightest housing markets, because it's much more profitable to sit and own them and collect rent and that's most efficiently done together as a large block of units. But if that was no longer viable, then the condo-style model of individual ownership within multi-unit buildings would become more widespread. The market price of the apartment you live in is probably no more than ~5 years' rent, so with loans you could probably save up several months' rent as a down payment and buy it for your own use--except that there's no incentive for a property owner to sell that when they can sit and collect rent for decades.

Obviously, a lot of people renting are not in a place where they can simply pony up the equivalent of several months' rent. But property values would absolutely crater if people were no longer interested in buying to rent at a profit. The combination of massive amounts of inventory hitting the market and demand for rental properties drying up would drop prices to a fraction of what they are now. You could probably take the equivalent of first and last months' rent and get a loan on an apartment equivalent to yours. You'd still have a monthly payment to the bank--putting up that apartment cost real money and someone's gotta get paid--but if you stuck around you'd actually be paying that money towards ownership of something.

In the long run, you might expect the housing market to dry up and prices to creep back up--without the profitability of rent there's less incentive to build housing, so housing construction would slow down. But, without the value of rent driving up property prices, land prices would also drop, which would make it cheaper for developers to build housing. So there would still be money in building housing--the sale price would come down some, but so would input costs.

All this is 100% speculative. It's likely I'm just talking out of my rear end. But the rentier model is absolutely a net drain on the economy and society in general. It's not there because it is the best and most efficient way to for people to buy housing, it's there because the system was written by and for the benefit of the people who owned land and collect rents.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

So let's say an aggressive taxation policy targeted at landlords makes it so your landlord can no longer profitably rent out your building, nor can they afford to hold onto it and eat the taxes on an empty building. They're going to want to sell the building, piecemeal by apartment if needs be.

Right now multi-unit buildings are rarely structured for individual sale except for the tightest housing markets, because it's much more profitable to sit and own them and collect rent and that's most efficiently done together as a large block of units. But if that was no longer viable, then the condo-style model of individual ownership within multi-unit buildings would become more widespread. The market price of the apartment you live in is probably no more than ~5 years' rent, so with loans you could probably save up several months' rent as a down payment and buy it for your own use--except that there's no incentive for a property owner to sell that when they can sit and collect rent for decades.

Obviously, a lot of people renting are not in a place where they can simply pony up the equivalent of several months' rent. But property values would absolutely crater if people were no longer interested in buying to rent at a profit. The combination of massive amounts of inventory hitting the market and demand for rental properties drying up would drop prices to a fraction of what they are now. You could probably take the equivalent of first and last months' rent and get a loan on an apartment equivalent to yours. You'd still have a monthly payment to the bank--putting up that apartment cost real money and someone's gotta get paid--but if you stuck around you'd actually be paying that money towards ownership of something.

In the long run, you might expect the housing market to dry up and prices to creep back up--without the profitability of rent there's less incentive to build housing, so housing construction would slow down. But, without the value of rent driving up property prices, land prices would also drop, which would make it cheaper for developers to build housing. So there would still be money in building housing--the sale price would come down some, but so would input costs.

All this is 100% speculative. It's likely I'm just talking out of my rear end. But the rentier model is absolutely a net drain on the economy and society in general. It's not there because it is the best and most efficient way to for people to buy housing, it's there because the system was written by and for the benefit of the people who owned land and collect rents.

This is the first explanation that actually makes sense and has made me reconsider my position on the subject.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

tl;dr mom eats all the food. We don't know how to approach her about it.

My grandmother would do this, and it can really gently caress with you honestly.

CheesyDog posted:

Is there any advice you all can give me [35m] on how to salvage some sort of sex life with my SO [35f] after I lost my Penis last year. (self.sex)

submitted an hour ago by throwawaypeen12345

I'd think you'd be in intensive therapy, at LEAST weekly, for years after something like that. And definitely sex therapy. Like, why on earth is reddit his go-to for advice here?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Go to r/legaladvice and read the tenant ones. Most replies from people not from America are horror. There may be a few states with better laws than other countries, but not many. Most Americans don't know about the protections they do have, or can't afford a lawyer to enforce them either way. Or they're on month-to-month leases, and can't afford to move on 30/60 days notice, so they just keep quiet and make due. (Side note, some places outside the US, a month-to-month lease can't be terminated by the landlord without cause, only the tenant).

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I don't get why the re-route was the best option. Surely a modest prosthetic implant would have been a less traumatic option? Total phallic reconstruction is absolutely a thing, it's a suple complex procedure but I can't imagine most guys would be like "nah, don't bother with reconstruction, just route the pisshole behind my balls."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't believe they'd reroute a pisshole to the taint instead of up and to a catheter because of the infection risk

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

AITA: I wrote a disstrack against one of my friends now he wants to report me to the police.
Let me explain: So I wrote a “disstrack“ against one of my friends and uploaded it to YouTube. I just did it for fun, I didn't really want to diss or hurt him with it, I didn't mean to cause any harm, he's my friend. Although I expected otherwise he now wants to report me to the police because I distributed “personal information“ about him, I just said his full name in one line. I took the disstrack offline but he doesn't want to talk with me now. What are your thoughts?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

My[19F] judgmental, privileged roommate [19F] is driving me insane. How do I cope? Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

submitted 2 years ago by pomegra

My roommate hails from upper middle class white suburbia, which seems to have made her incredibly naive and judgmental.

She's one of those people who literally believe that poor and homeless people should just "save more money" or "get a better job", complains about middle class students not getting financial aid in favor of low-income students (even though her tuition, room and board are fully paid by her parents) and finds public transportation too "dirty" to use.

I have a poor relationship with my parents due to emotionally abusive behavior in the past, but she is incredulous of the idea of abusive parents existing, because her own parents are apparently incredibly supportive and kind, to the point where she repeatedly lectures me about how parents sacrifice a lot to raise their children.

I also happen to be Asian. Presumably because she comes from a predominantly white neighborhood, she hasn't interacted with many minorities. Thus, she makes a lot of innocuous, if not casually racist comments like "Do you eat dogs?", "At least you're Asian" when I told her I was taking a Calculus class and "Don't you like communism?" during a conversation about a news article related to North Korea.

I want to have a civil relationship with her, and I know it isn't necessarily her fault that she's grown up in an environment where she isn't exposed to different perspectives, but it's getting increasingly difficult to not snap at her.

I wish I could get a different roommate, but I do live in a college dorm. She's otherwise been a model roommate in the sense that she's been generally respectful of me and our living space - meaning I probably won't be able to get out of this situation in that way.

tl;dr: Roommate's charmed life leads her to judge the poo poo out of everyone, need to figure out how to not strangle her over the next 8 months, metaphorically speaking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clearly the answer is to find common ground in class struggle and lure the landlord into a murder trap.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Man I feel so bad for throwawaypeen :( I can't imagine how hosed up that must be to go through :(

I also liked Pete's brother. He's doing things right!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fallom posted:

I don't believe they'd reroute a pisshole to the taint instead of up and to a catheter because of the infection risk

Well the penis cancer dude said the urethra was rerouted to the perineum which is medical talk for taint.

Perhaps to remove all traces of cancer the op lost too much flesh in the front to keep the urethra there or to attach a prosthetic or replacement.

Also
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why should other people get to have a house for free when I have to pay to rent because I have a job?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (20M) father in law (50M) is a sociopath and has a fake instagram where he pretends to date his daughter (24F)

This will be a long post I think, sorry if I ramble, im equal parts seeking advice and venting.

My father in law is crazy, manipulative and often violent. I've been dating my girlfriend [20F], his daughter, for four years now and i never actually had any trouble with him. I aways knew he had a past involving cheating and violence (he once threw a glass cup on my sister in law (28F) and pulled a gun on another occasion(he is a cop)) and aways noticed he was a pathological liar and control freak (the entire family never disagrees with what he says in fear of an outburst).

Despite all that, the past few years have been quiet, there were no major fights or episodes of violence. We suspected cheating and lying here or there but his wife doesnt give a poo poo, so we stopped caring as well.

Untill he started involving his daughters in some insane fake instagram profile he secretly has. We knew about this fake profile for a while now, we knew he posted pictures of pretty girls, his new fancy car (wich he got with a loan) and pretended to be some bodybuilder pretty boy. But now he crossed the loving line. He started photoshopping my sister in law into pictures with this guy (his fake persona) and forcing my girlfriend to record videos complimenting this guy, saying she loves his abs and poo poo. This is getting gross and over the line and I dont know what to do. We cant find this loving profile (we only catch glimpses on his phone) and my gf still lives with him, so we fear the repercussions of facing him.

One more detail, my sis in law recently revealed her mother used to be jealous of her when she was very little and that she hated her father since forever. She is starting to suspect abuse.. Im just, gently caress this..

Finding this profile as evidence would be a great start, but I cant do it to save my life.

TLDR: My father in law with a history of lying, cheating and violence now has a fake instagram where he pretends to be some guy who dates his daughter, going as far as to make my gf record videos talking to this "guy".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [55F] have been diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer and don't have much time anymore. I had had a sexual relationship with my husband's [55M] now deceased brother and my husband raised his kids thinking it's his own. Should I tell my husband and daughter the truth before I die?

Throwaway because my husband frequents reddit.

I met my husband 35 years ago in college, fell in love and were in a relationship for 8 years before we got married.

During this time, the first time I visited my husband's house, his brother, who was very hot, charming, and unlike my husband who is a gentle, sweet, loving man, was complete opposite- Bad, tall, and an attitude that gave no poo poo to anyone's beeswax.

This infatuation created a secret sexual relationship between us. My husband wasn't close to his brother. And I couldn't leave him because of being such a gentle, loving and good provider to me.

But his brother was a demon in the bed, and an angressive, angry, passionate individual and so, our relationship, purely physical, ended up with a beautiful baby daughter, who's now 31.

My husband never fathered a child, but he believes our daughter, whom he married and saw off, is his own.

A week ago, I found out my Cancer has progressed to stage 3 and I will most likely die this year.

Neither my daughter, nor my husband knows about this secret.

The only one who did is now long dead.

And finally, I'm at the crossroad too.

In the face of death, I'm feeling the guilt I never did. But do I act on it?

My husband is already depressed with the news of my upcoming final journey. And he would soon have no one but the dog to care for.

I'm afraid he'll kill himself if I tell him.

But I'm afraid to myself die hiding from a man and a woman the biggest lie they deserve to know.

I'm very scared and helpless.

Tl;dr- husband's daughter isn't his, should I tell him? Or take the secret with me to my grave?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's a child rapist and gets off on ensuring that pain never ends. Hope that clears things up.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (20M) father in law (50M) is a sociopath and has a fake instagram where he pretends to date his daughter (24F)

Kill all cops

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Tl;dr- husband's daughter isn't his, should I tell him? Or take the secret with me to my grave?

loving lol "Well my husband might kill himself, but I, who am about to die, feel bad."

Some things you take to your grave.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pick you just have a binary switch for posting thats just on or off isnt it

"i like flowers"

"THIS IS A FORM OF FEMALE ENSLAVEMENT AND YOU SHOULD EAT YOUR DICKS AS REPARATIONS"

just like smoke a bowl or something jeez

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Admiral Ray posted:

My[19F] judgmental, privileged roommate [19F] is driving me insane. How do I cope? Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

In the age of the internet, I find myself less and less tolerant of this kind of ignorance. Feel sorry for OP here.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Well the penis cancer dude said the urethra was rerouted to the perineum which is medical talk for taint.

Perhaps to remove all traces of cancer the op lost too much flesh in the front to keep the urethra there or to attach a prosthetic or replacement.

Also
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They graft it from arm tissue

Extremely :nms: :nws: there are pictures

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

pick you just have a binary switch for posting thats just on or off isnt it

"i like flowers"

"THIS IS A FORM OF FEMALE ENSLAVEMENT AND YOU SHOULD EAT YOUR DICKS AS REPARATIONS"

just like smoke a bowl or something jeez

This is a really interesting response to a comment (that's probably dead on) about a guy making an online persona for pretending to gently caress his daughter.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dont get me wrong, dude is a class A creep and should be called the gently caress out, but it was just such a 11 response out of nowhere it cracked me up.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

sneakyfrog posted:

dont get me wrong, dude is a class A creep and should be called the gently caress out, but it was just such a 11 response out of nowhere it cracked me up.

it wasn't an 11 response out of nowhere, the dude loving pretends to gently caress his daughter, I do not at all doubt that he is in fact a child rapist and giving the benefit of the doubt to a man who pretends to gently caress his daughter is hosed up

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [55F] have been diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer and don't have much time anymore. I had had a sexual relationship with my husband's [55M] now deceased brother and my husband raised his kids thinking it's his own. Should I tell my husband and daughter the truth before I die?

Throwaway because my husband frequents reddit.

I met my husband 35 years ago in college, fell in love and were in a relationship for 8 years before we got married.

During this time, the first time I visited my husband's house, his brother, who was very hot, charming, and unlike my husband who is a gentle, sweet, loving man, was complete opposite- Bad, tall, and an attitude that gave no poo poo to anyone's beeswax.

This infatuation created a secret sexual relationship between us. My husband wasn't close to his brother. And I couldn't leave him because of being such a gentle, loving and good provider to me.

But his brother was a demon in the bed, and an angressive, angry, passionate individual and so, our relationship, purely physical, ended up with a beautiful baby daughter, who's now 31.

My husband never fathered a child, but he believes our daughter, whom he married and saw off, is his own.

A week ago, I found out my Cancer has progressed to stage 3 and I will most likely die this year.

Neither my daughter, nor my husband knows about this secret.

The only one who did is now long dead.

And finally, I'm at the crossroad too.

In the face of death, I'm feeling the guilt I never did. But do I act on it?

My husband is already depressed with the news of my upcoming final journey. And he would soon have no one but the dog to care for.

I'm afraid he'll kill himself if I tell him.

But I'm afraid to myself die hiding from a man and a woman the biggest lie they deserve to know.

I'm very scared and helpless.

Jesus lady. I hope you changed some of this information or else it's being revealed to your husband in a more terrible way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i guess i retract my previous statement and apologize :shrug:

my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for loudly announcing that a customer's credit card was declined after he ran me ragged while serving he and his date and "posse"

Keep this short. Work at an upscale restaurant, Friday's are usually huge. Some little nerd I've never heard of came in and caused some commotion with the Insta-crowd and I guess he's sort of locally famous rapper who's appeared on really big name tracks. Edit: his date was also an Insta celeb I'd never heard of. He and his "posse" get sat in my section and proceeded to run me ragged. They sent food back, ordered compicated special requests every time I stopped by which cost me precious time on a slammed night. The rapper himself sent his food back...3 times and wanted me to pour his water from Voss bottles he had brought in that I had to open in front of him "for his safety." They were such a pain, I had to drop most of my section costing me serious money. They had an automatic 18% but with a bill a little over $1200, it was still light for a typical Friday.

Dude made a huge deal of handing me one of those fake black cards that are made to look like an Amex black but really it's just a low limit mc/visa. I ran it...declined...ran it again and it was declined. I didn't want to run it a third time but seriously saw a way to get a shot in so I went back to his table and loudly got his attention and said so his whole group could hear me "sir, your card was declined do you have another you'd like me to try?" He looked like he was going to cry then got angry and whipped out $1200 in cash and said "we out!" and told my manager that none of them would ever eat with us again. I got screwed because $1200 didn't cover his bill, let alone tip.

Manager is pissed at me and said I should have let him handle the card situation. Maybe he's right and I barely made enough to cover the cost of getting to work. But I feel pretty good about making him look stupid. AITA?