Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Stravag posted:

There was a online checker component that would tabulate gains and losses of territory in sp campaigns and influence the map before it became a rt thing.

And i meant he dropped vanilla because of time to update both nit that rt went this is mine now. Although i can totally see that chick doing that

I didn't know Wartech had the checker. That's neat. I was wondering how they'd handle single player since it didn't seem like the nations tried to take systems from each other outside of player influence in the independent version of the mod.

Also, for the guy interested in the war stuff:

If you want to see what I mean about the state of the war apparently the Roguetech devs also designed an internet compatible live version of the map that people can browse. It's kept up to date as systems are taken, so i'm assuming it's pulling directly from the server the persistent aspect is hosted on. It is kind of laggy though.

http://roguetech.org/

You can hold the LMB/RMB to scroll around the map and scroll the middle mouse button to zoom on the more compact areas. It also has player stats, a log of events that have occurred in the galaxy, a list showing how many systems each nation has (a few nations have been wiped out already which means that unless someone wants to bring them back their gear is lost to everyone save those that have spare parts from before them. Granted, they're mostly really primitive nations or basically pirates by proxy.), etc, etc.

Apparently there were over 1000 people on yesterday, and 201 players on in the last hour of today as of when this was last posted. So there's definitely more than a few companies of mechs around. It's just that there appears to be well over a thousand systems to travel too. Which can make it difficult to find them unless you look around the frontlines that are changing. I'm also not sure if the out of game map viewer shows mercenary and national company positions too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases/tag/v1.4.0.1

New cFixes, get ready to get wrecked -

Corrected pilotdefs for all enemy NPCs -
Every pilot short of the Backers/Ronin were build against an older version of the game and are missing passive traits like Overheat Limit Increases and Recoil Reductions. Some story pilots have more than the legal amount of abilities, that has been left in place in addition to normalizing their passive traits where missing.

HotFix for AI Assert Stun Lock a.k.a "Phantom 'Mech Ability" -
A player controlled, Sure Foot Pilot with 10 in piloting could earn 7 Pips of evasion, the game only defines 6 and this would stun lock the AI in to inaction until a Sensor Lock pilot is found. Mpstark was able to narrow this down to the CombatGameConstants only defining 6 levels of Evasion and suggested a work around. You can now "officially" earn 7 Pips without breaking the AI. Thanks for all you have done Mpstark!

By wrecked, I mean slightly more capable AI forces that won't go doe-eyed when you take your GRF-2N out with a 10 pilot inside. They are still just as bad unless you improve the AI, but at least the pilots now get Recoil and Min. Range Reduction in addition to tons of other passive skills they were missing. Some of those Elite pilots were missing about 9 passive skills, the Guts and Tactics trees were the most neglected, or likely most iterated near the end. HBS might want to go back and fix all of them, they could use cFixes to just paste in the fixes without breaking saves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha, the Davion Alliance is super easy compared to Marik's. Just shoot Song and leave. :v:

Do the pirates have a flashpoint if you ally with them?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Haha, the Davion Alliance is super easy compared to Marik's. Just shoot Song and leave. :v:

Do the pirates have a flashpoint if you ally with them?

Nope, only the five major Houses have alliance flashpoints.

Edit: And it's a good thing too. The rep grind in this game is kind of a hassle and it's painful having to regrind 2-3 reps after each Alliance flashpoint. Fortunately, its easy enough to edit the jsons to make the whole thing trivial if you just wanna see the content.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 10, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm just getting started with this game. so, i gather that ppc's were heavily nerfed at some point but is that still the case, and if so are they not worth using at all or merely somewhat suboptimal?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm just getting started with this game. so, i gather that ppc's were heavily nerfed at some point but is that still the case, and if so are they not worth using at all or merely somewhat suboptimal?

They were buffed but the heat costs are still enormous so most mechs are better off with a LL or the equivalent of MLs. They're nice early game for loving up enemy hit chances when lights are still prevalent.

e: After allying with two houses and checking every black market I could the royal black knight, highlander, and atlas 2 appear to just not exist :negative:

I have 2 Cyclops-Zs and 5 King Crabs so it's not like I need them but my poiiiiints

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 10, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I got 732b parts from rare item reward flashpoints along with mostly Zeus, Black Knight and King Crab parts. Never saw any other SLDF variant parts that way

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 10, 2019

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RBA Starblade posted:

They were buffed but the heat costs are still enormous so most mechs are better off with a LL or the equivalent of MLs. They're nice early game for loving up enemy hit chances when lights are still prevalent.
Possibly even a bigger issue with PPCs is that they weigh 7 tons. Even if you've got one that does extra damage, it's just more cost-efficient to mount several MLs (provided you're using a mech with adequate EW hardpoints, of course).

sean10mm posted:

I got 732b parts from rare item reward flashpoints along with mostlt Zeus, Black Knight and King Crab parts.
Got lucky and found a part in a regular store.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'll be honest, if you think the noise and effect is fun Rule of Cool dominates. A 3 PPC Awesome isn't a hyper-optimal build but it's still fun and good enough for tooling on the AI.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sombrerotron posted:

Possibly even a bigger issue with PPCs is that they weigh 7 tons. Even if you've got one that does extra damage, it's just more cost-efficient to mount several MLs (provided you're using a mech with adequate EW hardpoints, of course).

That and also the range advantages are kind of meaningless in a game which favors brawling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the mission I got for Kurita Alliance. Looks like there's a pool.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

RBA Starblade posted:

e: After allying with two houses and checking every black market I could the royal black knight, highlander, and atlas 2 appear to just not exist :negative:
SLDF Black Knight, Griffin, and Atlas will never show up in stores without modding the starsystem.json files to allow them to spawn. They will very, very rarely show up as a mech part for a FP reward, or you can steal a Griffin during a FP. The Highlander can be found for sale and the best place to check is the 4 systems everyone used to check for Gauss Ammo (Yuris, Hurik, Victoria and New Vandenberg).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Actually the best place to check is the Black Market.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That and also the range advantages are kind of meaningless in a game which favors brawling

and PPCs are much less efficient than LRMs anyway

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll be honest, if you think the noise and effect is fun Rule of Cool dominates. A 3 PPC Awesome isn't a hyper-optimal build but it's still fun and good enough for tooling on the AI.

The ai on the star league cache mission actually managed to do something interesting with one when it split fire between 3 of my mechs every turn, negating my bulwark and affecting my to-hit. But it's all extremely situational.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
started a new game with that Battletech 3025 mod, slog it through the tutorial desert and the map glitches and fails to trigger after bringing all my mechs back to get ambushed. try it again, same thing :suicide: i just want Dekker to have a chance to die in fancy new robots dammit

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

so kind of hitting the point where things are getting gnarly

ive yet to do panzyr and mostly just tooling around restoration/periphery space where missions take me, mostly well above in the black (hovering around 5-6mil depending on a missions fortunes) but im starting to get 2.5/3 skull missions and they've really become a roll of the dice if it means milk run or i have 8 full armor LRM spamming mediums knocking me down non stop

my bay currently consists of thunderbolt-5S, quickdraw 4G, kintaro-18, wolverine 6k, two hunchback ps, with shadowhawk 2H and a LRM centurion stashed away

should i just work on getting my pilots up to tactics 9 and try to find some assassinates so i can flesh out my heavy lineup more or what

my lance set up rn is 3 lancers and 1 vanguard for sensor lock/keeping the thunderbolt in the same initiative lane as the mediums. play pretty defensively approaching from the edges of maps to cut down on getting flanked, sticking to cover with bulwark, and funneling enemy lances to me so i can take them out 1 by 1 but some opfor are way stacked against you

so far i try to avoid straight up battle contracts just cause those seem most likely to have you go up against multiple lances at the same time. any tips or advice? missions seem to go either I just wipe the floor with anything or we're jump jetting backwards to try and good faith evac as my ronin one-by-one are ejecting and then we get to spend a month together in sick bay

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly with that tonnage you should be able to take on 8 mediums just fine by abusing things like "flanking" and "focus fire" that the ai doesn't really do properly. Are your mechs just really undergunned or something?

One thing that sticks out a little is that you've got a lot of breaching shot, probably more than you need. After the skill revamp, the baseline skill setup for brawling is Coolant Vent + Evasive Movement.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, Lancer is the pre-Flashpoint optimal build, but now it's all about Brawlers. Sure Footing + Coolant Vent lets you tackle double your weight class with ease provided you've got some trees to stand in.

I agree that with the lance you're currently running that 2.5/3 skull missions should be a cakewalk. In addition to your skill setups, your mech builds might also be under-tuned. Care to post a few screenshots of your mechlab?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You have Bulwark and sounds like you're using cover so yeah, the problem might be that you're fielding undergunned shitfits.

How do you outfit your mechs? (Except the quickdraw - the quickdraw is bad and you should just turn it into C-Bills)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

its less 8 mediums and when its a ton of missile spam because i can usually core my way through a medium in like 2-3 turns but the attrition starts to add up so by the time I get to the LRMs halfway across the map my armor is in shambles and pilots have been taking head injuries and the 4 LRM meds are in perfect condition

also im a kind and caring boss so will often have pilots punch out if i think they're close to eating it

edit: can post some screenshots later i have no idea what im doing but usually try to get 90% armor and a decent amount of firepower though im kind of addicted to jump jets on everything

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 11, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If LRMs specifically are giving you trouble then part of that will be the skill choices. Sure Footing does a lot to help prevent knockdowns with the stability changes they put in where lights and mediums are easier to knock over than heavies and assaults.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

^^
Also a bit of that. You might not be advancing correctly, but most likely I'd think you're just taking too long killing the close range OpFor since the AI rarely fields LRMs in critical mass numbers.

Jump Jets and maxing front armor are absolutely fine, so it might come down to using bad guns (ie PPCs) or heat management (too many heatsinks) or bracket building (fitting weapons for different range brackets, making mechs bad at all).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The main skill you need to master is shaping the engagement so you aren’t fighting the whole map at once.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, no Coolant Vent really cuts into your ability to run hot high-alpha builds but here are some quick build notes based on what you have currently. Mechs are ordered best to worst,

TDR-5S - an AC/20 with either a few MLs or SRMs.
CN9-A - bring it out of mothball, this is your second best mech! Either stick with the LRMs (I think 15/15/10 is optimal?) or go two MLs and three SRM6s. Can also do an AC/20 with a couple of MLs.
KTO-18 - either three SRM6s with two MLs or four SRM6s, depending on how risky you want to play. Two tons of ammo is fine.
WVR-6K - same as the KTO, but with a max of three SRMs and only one ML.
HBK-4P - eight MLs with lots of heatsinks.
SHD-2H - exact same build as the WVR.
QKD-4G - two SRM6s with four MLs. Hot and under-gunned; mech is kinda rubish.

I'm sure you're seeing a theme here. The SRM6 is solid at every stage the game, but in the middle portions, before you've got DHS or enough tonnage to run big ACs and LRM boats, they're also just about the only good weapon for a lot of builds.

My main lance with those options would probably look like,

Thunderbolt, with an AC/20
Centurion, either AC/20 or SRM bomber
Kintaro, SRM bomber
Wolverine, armor stripped LRM boat

Edit: it's not obvious because the game doesn't really surface this stuff, but all 55-ton mechs have less space for weapons and armor than the Centurion. Here's a google doc that's really useful for comparing the various mechs and weapons.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 11, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm always surprised when I need to punch something with my LRM Cent and I remember it does 70 melee damage. It's a beast.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Berke Negri posted:

my bay currently consists of thunderbolt-5S, quickdraw 4G, kintaro-18, wolverine 6k, two hunchback ps, with shadowhawk 2H and a LRM centurion stashed away

Just to add to what has already been said:

HBK-Ps are murder machines that punch way above their weight. Go with 8xML and 3xSL. Max armor, then bring side rear torsos to 50, rear center to 75, and then shave armor down to remove fractional amounts. Rest is HS. For pilots, put a brawler (Coolant Flush / Evasive) in it. You don't need JJs.

Configure both HBK-Ps this way and either field them both or field one and save the other in case the first takes damage. Combine a HBK with a JJ SHD-H SRM/ML infighter (also a Coolant Flush/Evasive pilot) and you have a solid short range fighting team. Match them up with the CN9 (range) and TDR (range or mid) and you have a solid lance that should be able to do 2.5 to 3 skull missions until you get more heavies.

Also, sometimes vigilance is better than precision strike. If you're getting LRM knockdowns, then sprinting your HBK into a forest with vigilance gives it alot of evasion, entrenched, and 60% damage reduction. The SHD will be jumping in and bracing/shooting depending on the risk. This sets up your next turn very nicely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you can too, get a Shadow Hawk 2D, max its armor and jump jets, add as many lasers/machine guns and srms/medium lasers as possible, and put a good pilot it in it and send it off to beat the poo poo out of those missile boats. When it starts to overheat punch instead. Its armor goes waaay farther than Yang gives it credit for.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair, that build runs between double and triple the armor of a stock 2D, which is what Yang is referring to.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I found that it really helps to prioritize attacking any enemies that combine having lots of firepower with being easy to destroy, rather than just attacking the biggest mech on the field.

SRM carriers, LRM carriers, Schreck PPC carriers and Demolisher tanks all have tons of firepower and never overheat, but can often be wasted with a single salvo or a good stomp. Some mechs have lots of firepower but poor armor too. Sometimes it's worth it to blow up any assault turrets first as well (though ideally you sensor lock them and blow them up out of their line of sight before you even fight anybody else).

Also be proactive moving mechs out of the line of fire if all the enemies are ganging up on them. Make them spread their damage around while you concentrate yours on 1 enemy at a time.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 11, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I would like to advance the opinion that when you send me on a Target Acquisition mission and there are four Heavies and four Assaults smack bang in the middle of the points it is not a loving bad faith withdrawal, it was a bad faith contract because that mission is literally loving impossible to complete you loving Moronic Retarded Bastards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I usually send my shittiest mechwarriors on target acquisitions so it's a nice surprise if they all bring the mechs back mostly intact

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/378934614?t=07m34s

My community challenge setup got picked via die roll on the Paradox Int. Stream today. They won! I think that's a good sign the challenge level is about right when you always come close to losing, but pull out a win in the end.

As for the Trg.Ack. missions at high level, yea it's a bit crazy. I wrote an effort post about how it could be better a while back. I've run a few back to back in debug mode trying different maps and 'Mechs. Some of them are easier with 4x55t SRM bombers, but others are just bad map/spawn setups. Keep in mind, right now there is a stock bug that locks the AI if you earn a broken 7th Pip of evasion. This can make those missions easy if not fixed, hell all missions really. cFixes does fix that one if you are playing with that mod.

Once I'm finally done with my Flashpoint, I can talk more about how I edited the Trg.Ack mission in that to actually be easier with lighter/faster units than big armored 4/6 speed units or slower.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

So I started a new career mode using cFixes and the AI mod and it's actually kind of easier? Lights and vehicles will just sprint into the woods and out of sight for no reason and just not fire that turn? Even when I took on a 2-skull mission when I still had the starter mechs and only half of them were refitted and I was definitely in over my head and things were going pear-shaped, the AI decided to not press the attack or try to kill my Commando after it lost a ST and I managed to win without losing anyone or any mechs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did the latest patch break called shots on vehicles? Nothing seems to actually hit the side marked now (but it does consistently hit another side, so it dies anyway).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is career mode? I think I've seen people mention it in this thread but I haven't seen anything official about it.

I just reinstalled to play again because I have the itch after a friend bought the game and had asked me about it a bunch. Is there a good place to read up on the so changes they did a few months after the game released?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was added in 1.3. Its a score attavk mode with no story missions. Stars dont change skull value but there are anywhere from .5 to 5 skull planets. You have 1400 days to max your score. Certain things add points like having unique mech hulls, cbills in bank, allies and enemies, etc.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Career mode dumps you on the map with the Argo and a starting lance, sans the story.

It's basically just a big sandbox mode for people that have already been through the story once and don't feel the need to replay it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh thats fantastic, thank you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Career mode was added to the base game, but it's quite a bit better with the Flashpoint DLC. There's just more to do.