Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

Rush Limbaugh Eats The Earth was a documentary

E: ^Electricity isn't going back in the bottle. There is no scenario whatsoever, barring the total extinction of humanity, that technology regresses to pre-1890s levels.

Here’s the problem: lots and lots of people are going to die. We’re going to lose a significant portion of the population. The part that survives is going to be shifted into subsistence style life. Most of our knowledge is stored on some sort of digital media with no reason/method to preserve it.

Yeah, for a period of time people are going to retain technology, but much is going to be lost and will continue to degrade over the next millennia. Without worldwide trade and our modern infrastructure to support it, things are going to collapse hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

Don't forget that it's continuous authentication, which will be implemented as poorly as possible, with authentication boxes every 5 minutes to alert you that you need to re-authenticate to keep using the thing.

Hell, we already have that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also as CO2 levels rise plants are going to grow in size. Plants in CO2 rich environments get huge. They also are significantly less nutritious to the point that some staples become inedible. Mother nature is at a tipping point and is taking away our food as a basic response.

poo poo is going to go so loving sideways our way of life is going to be nothing but legends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eej posted:

On the bright side higher global temperatures means the earth will get to see dragonflies with 2.5 feet wingspans again

Nah, need a much richer oxygen atmosphere for that :(

Without a highly oxygen rich atmosphere, large insects cannot get enough air through their spiracles

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Deus Ex is worth jumping through whatever hoops you gotta jump through to make it work.

On the topic of missing out on games, has there even been a truly great groundbreaking game since HL2 or Portal?

For all its flaws, PUBG.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PUBG is so... clunky? While it “invented” the modern BR genre fortnite is what made it truly blow up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Apex Legends is gonna be the next big BG game probably. It's first person and less cartoony than fortnite but still has its charm, and the gunplay is so much nicer than PUBG. PUBG is played in a completely different style than apex or fortnite tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, need a much richer oxygen atmosphere for that :(

Without a highly oxygen rich atmosphere, large insects cannot get enough air through their spiracles

That happens after most people die and megaflora dominate the earth to soak up the excess CO2. The double shock will ultimately lead to another ice age and super oxygen rich atmosphere

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I just downloaded Apex Legends on my Xbox One X and it seems pretty fun so far.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dangit I just wanted a pet pill bug that doubles as a foot stool.

The main thing about Apex is that it's less aggressively solitary than other BRs. There's no solo queue, all the characters talk all the time in supportive ways, the contextual ping system is revolutionary to the point you can actually have a conversation with your teammates by just pointing at things and clicking on them and the majority of skills work better in a team. Also if you die people can grab your dog tag and run to a respawn point so that's more incentive to work together.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It seems possible that capital-dense societies are going to be able to engineer their way out of total ecosystem collapse, or at least stay juuust barely sort of ahead of the problem. Total-war level mobilization to build vertical indoor farming setups on an absolutely staggering scale, then seamlessly go on to make sealed habitats as CO2 levels become an acute health concern, something like that. As long as they manage to stay out of any nuclear wars with the less fortunate that is.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I struggle with this, but on the other hand I sometimes think our generation can make a difference. Claw us back from the brink. I refuse to give in to despair.

If you haven't read the Three Body Problem series you should. There’s a character in the second and third books that embodies the spirit of "advance at all costs" and he's ALWAYS right

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just picked up a job working with coral reef restoration, seems like as good a time as any to start back on the antidepressants :( My video logs of my dives are starting to feel like they’ll be historical too, for species that will be extinct by the time I’m old. I’ll still fight the good fight and try to preserve some of what we’ve got, but barring some kind of miracle I think we’re grossly underestimating exactly how hosed we are.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
When I was scuba diving off Roatan a few weeks ago I kept noticing bleeched coral. Not nearly as bad as the great barrier reef, but it was definitely present.

There was a couple stormy days while I was there and I couldn't believe the amount for garbage that washed in. I don't think there's a good trash system in place for the regular folks that live there so some people just throw their garbage in the ocean and stuff.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The luckier ones among us will basically end up living in Arcologies ala sim city 2000. The less lucky will build them and get some really funny cancers while they slowly starve to death.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

I had to and climate change did it. Had a really really bad panic attack about loving up and bringing kids into this hosed up world. I am on a normal dose of venlafaxine and it made my overwhelming anxiety go away. For days I couldnt sleep or eat. When I could sleep, Id shoot back awake with "ah poo poo, acidification of our oceans," immediately. I basically had to stop smoking pot because it would send me into overdrive.

I still have hope and promised I would continue to fight for a better future. We, as humans, have always banded together in times of dire need. We do bad, but we also do good. My family has changes how we live. We dont buy nestle or associated products. We eat little beef and limit or Carbon footprint. Sure, our poo poo is a drop in the ocean. An ocean made of tiny drops just like mine. I have seen a major cultural shift in just the past year regarding climate change, and hear more and more of people altering for a better lifestyle.

Voting with your wallet will change industrial usage of c02

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

PUBG is so... clunky? While it “invented” the modern BR genre fortnite is what made it truly blow up.

Check it out if you haven't played it recently. They fixed a lot of (but not all of) the issues with it and the newest map is really fun.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the problem with consumer-level consumption change is that the damage is largely already done

giving up beef should have been done in the 1970s and the deforestation of the amazon to make room for pastures avoided

leaded gas, CFCs, etc. already did their damage

we're just too stupid to realize it, or more specifically science has reached the point where it can't be suppressed any further

you can bury some fossil fuel reports, you can say 'who gives a poo poo' when the red-winged tittyfucker goes extinct, but when you start having swings of 60 degrees in a week or back to back "thousand year" floods it's too late

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I work in infectious disease and lol at poo poo like dengue and zika showing up in Florida and having people still try to argue that climate change isn't real.

Motherfucker people will die from poo poo that does not normally exist here I don't care if you think "well scientific consensus isn't complete and this guy on my friends facebook is a climate scientist and doesn't agree with the data ergo scientific consensus is invalid". Argue with a corpse motherfucker.

Sorry wanting to vent, I work with a lot of climate scientists and ecologists and it's just been all "yeah we're turbofucked and no one wants to listen to us" for the last decade for me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Chagas bugs are working their way north, too. Used to be it was too cool for them to survive in NC, but guess what changed :haw:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s the problem: lots and lots of people are going to die. We’re going to lose a significant portion of the population. The part that survives is going to be shifted into subsistence style life. Most of our knowledge is stored on some sort of digital media with no reason/method to preserve it.

Yeah, for a period of time people are going to retain technology, but much is going to be lost and will continue to degrade over the next millennia. Without worldwide trade and our modern infrastructure to support it, things are going to collapse hard.

Warhammer 3k

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what the worst part about all this is? When the effects of this start directly impacting the average idiot in the first world (and that will still probably take a very long time), they're not going to say "oh, we were wrong all along, let's do everything we can to mitigate this". They'll just come up with some new bullshit way to deny reality, and things will get progressively worse.

"Actually, it was the liberals" will 100% be the mainstream conservative take.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Best Friends posted:

"Actually, it was the liberals" will 100% be the mainstream conservative take.

The fundies will 100% blame the gays.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Their last thought as their entire country starves/burns/dehydrates to death will be, "We should keep having quarter pounders with cheese, Jesus is gonna be here any day now to fix it all up."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Chagas bugs are working their way north, too. Used to be it was too cool for them to survive in NC, but guess what changed :haw:

Hell, armadillos are popping up here in NC too now. When I was a kid you only heard of them in Texas and Louisiana, but they've been expanding northwards for the last couple decades. They're a vector for leprosy. All the nasty old poo poo's coming back.

"God said he wasn't going to flood the earth again, so he'll set fire to it instead."

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

As Nero Danced posted:

Hell, armadillos are popping up here in NC too now. When I was a kid you only heard of them in Texas and Louisiana, but they've been expanding northwards for the last couple decades. They're a vector for leprosy. All the nasty old poo poo's coming back.

"God said he wasn't going to flood the earth again, so he'll set fire to it instead."

My dad has been trying to catch one thats been digging up his backyard....so far all hes caught is a adolescent raccoon...He's been using peanut butter and I don't think that dillos like it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

humans are a virus and you trying to talk sense into someone is like an aids molecule trying to talk sense into another aids molecule.

the planet isn't magic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Seawalls are most likely what we're going to do instead of move cities away from the coast. They're already talking about doing one in NYC, since these things will take decades to do. Better to spend 20-30 billion over 10-15 years than try and relocate ~13 million people and radically change the east coast transport network.

The Dutch seem to have managed pretty well for the last few decades, but countries that are less ... conscientious ... about their infrastructure are going to have some monumental disasters once a significant part of the population is living below will now be sea level.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

That Works posted:

I work in infectious disease and lol at poo poo like dengue and zika showing up in Florida and having people still try to argue that climate change isn't real.

Motherfucker people will die from poo poo that does not normally exist here I don't care if you think "well scientific consensus isn't complete and this guy on my friends facebook is a climate scientist and doesn't agree with the data ergo scientific consensus is invalid". Argue with a corpse motherfucker.

Sorry wanting to vent, I work with a lot of climate scientists and ecologists and it's just been all "yeah we're turbofucked and no one wants to listen to us" for the last decade for me.

I lived in midtown Miami, next to wynwood while the Zika virus was happening. Wynwood is alot of outdoor bars and artsy hipster places very much the hot area of miami and during the like 2 months Zika was a thing the place was a ghost town and a bunch of smaller bars straight went out of business

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Before the invention of the compressor air conditioner most people who lived in Miami year-round did so to escape the law.

That's what I've decided.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

a nice tasteful trump tweet about warren joining the 2020 circus

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1094368870415110145

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

It isn’t my fault this time. My dad is heavily involved in atmospheric modelling so I’ve been hearing how hosed we are since I was a kid in the 80s. It’s worse than you think, and no, there is no way to practically engineer our way out of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hexyflexy posted:

It isn’t my fault this time. My dad is heavily involved in atmospheric modelling so I’ve been hearing how hosed we are since I was a kid in the 80s. It’s worse than you think, and no, there is no way to practically engineer our way out of it.

That’s what I’m saying. We’re hosed and there’s no recovery. Humanity will never again reach it’s current pinnacle.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah baby play the loving fiddle then!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

feigning nihilism to absolve myself of any responsibility to own the libs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Doc Hawkins posted:

Before the invention of the compressor air conditioner most people who lived in Miami year-round did so to escape the law.

That's what I've decided.

I mean that's just historically true

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jacobawohl/status/1094072519269601280?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

And if our infrastructure is so bad why am I have such great luck selling bridges to chuds

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yes yes yes this is all bad but have you considered how it will affect other people's 401ks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

To be fair to that horrible weirdo, the popular imagination, left right and center, vastly overestimates the intelligence and foresight of banks.

(I work for a bank)

Also it's entirely possible the banks have figured the government will bail them out.