Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc: does this even mean

Chris Hardwick did those bullshit "talking dead" style aftershows for bad AMC shows that replaced "intentional narrative" and "purposeful style" with "everyone is traitors" and "now there's more ways characters can die" that made people assume the story was deep because it had a higher rotation of characters. Discovery is not lovely AMC level TV but I get the same vibe that a lot of choices were made by boardrooms for sick twitter engagement strats rather than to tell a good story with characters worth a drat and the desire to aim for the stars even if it means falling miserably.

In short I am not really a fan of Discovery as it don't do my tastes nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Whalley posted:

Chris Hardwick did those bullshit "talking dead" style aftershows for bad AMC shows that replaced "intentional narrative" and "purposeful style" with "everyone is traitors" and "now there's more ways characters can die" that made people assume the story was deep because it had a higher rotation of characters. Discovery is not lovely AMC level TV but I get the same vibe that a lot of choices were made by boardrooms for sick twitter engagement strats rather than to tell a good story with characters worth a drat and the desire to aim for the stars even if it means falling miserably.

In short I am not really a fan of Discovery as it don't do my tastes nice

Have you seen any of season 2? I don’t mean that in a lovely way, I’m genuinely asking. Because I agree with that sentiment to an extent if you’re talking about season 1, but the last 4 episodes of season 2 really seem like they’re genuinely trying to right the ship and tell a solid story, even if the writing still falters now and then.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Have you seen any of season 2? I don’t mean that in a lovely way, I’m genuinely asking. Because I agree with that sentiment to an extent if you’re talking about season 1, but the last 4 episodes of season 2 really seem like they’re genuinely trying to right the ship and tell a solid story, even if the writing still falters now and then.

I saw the first two episodes and it just felt like more of the same, so I'm just going to wait this one out and watch it when the season is over all in one chunk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm going to drop the veil a little bit and admit that I allowed season 1 to poison the well so much that I may never be able to really give Discovery a fair chance. I guess I'm glad that some people seem to be enjoying it more now but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to join them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

Not the one that looks and feels like it was made in 1993.

I'm not saying Orville can't be good. I'm sure modern family has its share of good episodes. I've lost my ability to sit through TV wallpaper.

Something that absolutely fills me with glee is the fact that The Orville looks 30 years out of date, yet it tells stories that feel relevant in 2019 while making them fun and exciting.

Meanwhile the massively-expensive "official" show is backtracking into the kind of fanservice they swore they'd never do because nobody was on board with whatever the hell their first season was supposed to be, LMao

I'm sure STD has the potential to be good, just as Voyager and Enterprise did. But, lol.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm going to drop the veil a little bit and admit that I allowed season 1 to poison the well so much that I may never be able to really give Discovery a fair chance. I guess I'm glad that some people seem to be enjoying it more now but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to join them.

This is not an unfair position to take.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm trying season 2 of discovery right now. I really enjoyed the scrambled language scene, it was fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
God, you assholes have no loving taste. Really, every conflict, or so-called conflict, in that show is designed explicitly to rub the base of the dick of people exactly like you, who already have your opinions. You will never have one of your opinions changed by that show, or in any way meaningfully challenged. It is 100% masturbatory, which is exactly why you claim you don't like discovery.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Discovery has the potential to be a really great show if it ever finds its footing. There have been some flashes of brilliance, especially in this season so far, but it’s incredibly uneven. The Orville is for sure more consistent, but I think its prospects are more limited.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

God, you assholes have no loving taste. Really, every conflict, or so-called conflict, in that show is designed explicitly to rub the base of the dick of people exactly like you, who already have your opinions. You will never have one of your opinions changed by that show, or in any way meaningfully challenged. It is 100% masturbatory, which is exactly why you claim you don't like discovery.

beam me up spockty

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

that seems like a hard line to take

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

When rubbing the base of the dick do u have to go in thru the butt to get there

:gooncamp:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Have you ever had one of your opinions changed by a Star Trek episode, at least since you were a kid? I don't like STD for a few reasons but I wasn't expecting it to shift my worldview. Part of why I liked Trek is because (at least since it helped shape how I see things growing up with it) of it's affirmative qualities.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Star Trek changed my worldview in if I should get facial hair or not because I thought not but then it turns out it gets Better with Hair and now I am facially hirsute and slightly more gooder in feeling about myself

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Whalley posted:

Star Trek changed my worldview in if I should get facial hair or not because I thought not but then it turns out it gets Better with Hair and now I am facially hirsute and slightly more gooder in feeling about myself

Are your sideburns removable

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Are your sideburns removable

All sideburns are removable

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

TAS! Probably holds people's attention as much because the art style makes them expect Archer.

Holy poo poo, doing a season as a starship crew would be a perfect "reset" for Archer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

You want a Star Trek with complicated diplomatic situations, moral questions, an alien (yet relatable) society, and packed with action and drama but also typical enough to give a feel for the product to introduce a new viewer to? Look no further than...Code of Honor

NO VAK-ZEEN

why would you start with a stargate episode????

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Number_6 posted:

Holy poo poo, doing a season as a starship crew would be a perfect "reset" for Archer.

https://vimeo.com/70518741

http://www.starchertrek.com/

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 9, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Number_6 posted:

Funny thing is that there was a show-within-a-show in the CG Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon that was basically Star Trek TAS but with Archer, or maybe Zapp Brannigan as the captain.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Number_6 posted:

Then good news, because that's exactly what Archer Series 10 is. They're even doing the same former couple as joint captains of the ship thing that the Orville has.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pick posted:

I love spock

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm more a fan of Spunk, personally.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"Spock, I fooled around before I met your father.. meet your half-brother, Sperg"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Spock's cousin, Lt. Cmdr. Spolula Does The Hula From Hawaii, could not be reached for comment.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How do the plots of Yesterday's Enterprise and Star Trek VI make sense together?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think Star Trek 6 was about an armistice while Yesterday’s Enterprise led to a peace treaty.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Klingons abrogated the treaty from ST6 out of respect for Kirk after he died in ST7. They're weird like that.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Spacebump posted:

How do the plots of Yesterday's Enterprise and Star Trek VI make sense together?

i got really moved by this, moved to the point where i do not even worry about the the time travel mechanics making any kind of sense.

i mean it totally does not matter but how could tasha go back if she was already dead because the ship had already back so she would not have been there in the first place so how....................................

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Guinan: "Tell me about Tasha Yar."
Picard: "Who?"
Guinan: "T...Tasha Yar. Blonde woman? Security officer?"
Picard: "I don't recall, sorry. When was this?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tasha somehow has it worse than O’Brien did. In the main timeline she gets owned by Armus and dies. In the altered timeline she fights in a horrible war, goes back in time, nearly dies when the Ent-C blows up, gets captured by the Romulans and made into basically a sex slave to avoid execution, then dies years later trying to escape.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tasha somehow has it worse than O’Brien did. In the main timeline she gets owned by Armus and dies. In the altered timeline she fights in a horrible war, goes back in time, nearly dies when the Ent-C blows up, gets captured by the Romulans and made into basically a sex slave to avoid execution, then dies years later trying to escape.

The future holds wonders for us!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The Federation came to the Klingons aid after the destruction of Praxis, but many Klingons still held suspicion towards the Federation. They saw it as an attempt to gain influence while the Klingons were weak.

The sacrifice of the Enterprise-C showed them that the Federation was willing to fight and die for them as allies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

The Federation came to the Klingons aid after the destruction of Praxis, but many Klingons still held suspicion towards the Federation. They saw it as an attempt to gain influence while the Klingons were weak.

The sacrifice of the Enterprise-C showed them that the Federation was willing to fight and die for them as allies.

And they still went to war with each other again anyway, less than thirty years later. Funny how that sort of thing can happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was because Gowron is a moron and let Changeling Martok convince him to attack the Cardassians

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Poor Cardassians :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will say that Andrew Robinson really sells the horror of discovering in the finale that the Jem’Hadar have wiped out most of the planet

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I doubt it was intentional, but her life story consists of escaping from Rape Gangs in her childhood only to be captured and raped in an alternate timeline before being killed when her own daughter sells her out. Jesus Christ Trek writers, did no one think this through?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I doubt it was intentional, but her life story consists of escaping from Rape Gangs in her childhood only to be captured and raped in an alternate timeline before being killed when her own daughter sells her out. Jesus Christ Trek writers, did no one think this through?
Yeah I meant to add that, but it’s indeed pretty gross

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that Andrew Robinson really sells the horror of discovering in the finale that the Jem’Hadar have wiped out most of the planet

that's because he is a very good actor. a lot of props go to a character that wasn't really written that well on a show that wasn't really written that well. ds9 is all strength of the cast imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pick continues to have the absolute strangest DS9 opinions.