Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

It's squad based mic, not fully open.

I'm rather disappointed that it's 3 person squad BR. I wanted something that wasn't PUBG/Fortnite, not something that's Overwatch lite. I don't think I'm the target audience.

Through their testing they found the abilities worked better in teams of 3, a 1v3 is more survivable than a 1v4 situation, and because of the classes they have they don't plan to make solo matches a thing. Yeah BRs aren't for everyone, it's pretty good though and super impressive that they just dropped a fully polished game with zero marketing beforehand and landed 10 million players in 72 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

colachute posted:

blood and wine is better than most triple A games.

ftfy

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Goonsensus was that Battletech is good, right? Because it's on sale, and I think I might be done with my second Stardew Valley run in a bit, maybe finish up year two or so.

Stardew Valley has now surpassed Skyrim as my most played game on Steam with 200 hours :lol:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Goonsensus was that Battletech is good, right? Because it's on sale, and I think I might be done with my second Stardew Valley run in a bit, maybe finish up year two or so.

Stardew Valley has now surpassed Skyrim as my most played game on Steam with 200 hours :lol:

Battletech is good and worth the money.

Be aware there are some crazy hosed up mods tho, like roguetech that make the game into something of a monstrosity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Battletech thirding.

And they are still doing active dev, with releases this spring and summer.

Can't wait for Urbantech.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Battletech is very good.

I'm waiting till the next major DLC before playing it again, as I burned out hardcore on vanilla.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

Battletech is very good.

I'm waiting till the next major DLC before playing it again, as I burned out hardcore on vanilla.

Did you do the open campaign?

I really want them to release an MMO style add on so you can run campaigns against teams.

Ahhh, dreams...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
By open campaign do you mean the mod that opened up the star map? Because that came out like three days before I burned out and I did screw around with it a bit.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
a career mode has been patched in officially. it's not the whole inner sphere but its (imo) better than the campaign/story mode

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

By open campaign do you mean the mod that opened up the star map? Because that came out like three days before I burned out and I did screw around with it a bit.

Yeah that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd love to have the MW3 campaign for Battletech even if it is the wrong era. Just you, a command truck, and whatever parts you can blow off the clanners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EBB posted:

I'd love to have the MW3 campaign for Battletech even if it is the wrong era. Just you, a command truck, and whatever parts you can blow off the clanners.

Give em time, I could totally see them doing a 3049/3050 campaign. Remember: Its only 3025 ingame time, so the clan invasion is only 24 years out. Not long at all.

Operation Bulldog (MW3), Operation BIRD DOG, and Operation Serpent in 3059/3060.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They have a lot of source material to run with and the core mechanics of the game are already very well fleshed out. It's only a matter of the will to carry it out, given that they've been given cart blanche with the franchise.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

They have a lot of source material to run with and the core mechanics of the game are already very well fleshed out. It's only a matter of the will to carry it out, given that they've been given cart blanche with the franchise.

Well, and with the original FASA leads at the helm, everything they need is there. Clan Invasion too, would be a slaughterfest for IS forces until about 3052 at the Battle of Tukayyid, when the Com Guards show up.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't know they had the FASA dudes.

I don't even know where the license stands at this point. Isn't it owned by MS fully and then it's licensed back out to the dudes that run the tabletop and extended unverise novels and poo poo? I've lost track of how many times it changed hands.

edit: the relevancy here because HBS is now owned by MS IIRC, which means they should in theory have completely unlimited license action.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

I didn't know they had the FASA dudes.

I don't even know where the license stands at this point. Isn't it owned by MS fully and then it's licensed back out to the dudes that run the tabletop and extended unverise novels and poo poo? I've lost track of how many times it changed hands.

edit: the relevancy here because HBS is now owned by MS IIRC, which means they should in theory have completely unlimited license action.

Jordan Weisman of FASA fame was directly involved with the storyline development, the hope is to even make the Arano campaign Canon, and they are working with Catalyst Game Labs, the current license holder.

E: They got bought by Paradox interactive, so not Microsoft.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
the biggest threat to a clan expansion being good is the die hard grogs really

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i think the reason they set it in 3025 in the first place was to placate the grogs and show people that you can make a good battletech game without the clans

edit: a whole game set on tukayyid would be cool

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 10, 2019

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The only real addition they would need for 3050 and later would be an option for dual heat sinks on the engine, which is the big difference between 3025 and 3050 as far as what you'd see in the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hopped back in to ffxiv if anyone else is still playing on excalibur

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

i think the reason they set it in 3025 in the first place was to placate the grogs and show people that you can make a good battletech game without the clans

edit: a whole game set on tukayyid would be cool

Yeah. The clan spergs are gonna be something else.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The other huge diff besides double heat sinks is XL engines. And the fact that side torso kills will take out an IS mech with an XL engine but not a clanners.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Slim Pickens posted:

Through their testing they found the abilities worked better in teams of 3, a 1v3 is more survivable than a 1v4 situation, and because of the classes they have they don't plan to make solo matches a thing. Yeah BRs aren't for everyone, it's pretty good though and super impressive that they just dropped a fully polished game with zero marketing beforehand and landed 10 million players in 72 hours.

I was having some weird poo poo last night where we'd get into a game with 3 squads and 8 players. Was playing with the wife so we'd go land on the far end of the map, get geared the gently caress up, the other squads would wipe each other out down to two dudes on the map and we'd just slowly make our way to the center of the circle.

They don't change the zone shrinking times to scale with players on the map or anything, so it was kind of cool getting to play with the sniper rifles and stuff and just dick around until the final battle that was a 2v2 or 3v2.

I wonder if it's some kind of regional thing since we're in Korea that it just wasn't pulling players or what.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

parts came in before the storm

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So what is that? A custom OG GBA case?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its a gba shell with a pi 3 cm3 board combined with a couple freeplay3 boards for l2/r2 and x/y buttons, new glass screen and the ags-101 backlit display, and mini hdmi out

plays up to 32x/playstation stuff just fine. ill post some more pictures later when i button it up and load some roms into it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i really, really, really wanted to do a SP but im not smart enough to figure out the pcb origami needed to fit everything i wanted in there

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its a gba shell with a pi 3 cm3 board combined with a couple freeplay3 boards for l2/r2 and x/y buttons, new glass screen and the ags-101 backlit display, and mini hdmi out

plays up to 32x/playstation stuff just fine. ill post some more pictures later when i button it up and load some roms into it

That sounds cool as hell, do you need a donor GBA or do you just buy all the parts and put it together?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

That sounds cool as hell, do you need a donor GBA or do you just buy all the parts and put it together?

i bought a shitload of parts from retromodding. i had ordered a different shell at first, hosed that one up royally with my dremel so i just bought a premade shell specifically for this project, looks like it was 3d printed and pretty well for the most part

heres the board i used along with the pi3 for the l2/r2 and x/y buttons

https://www.freeplaytech.com/product/freeplay-cm3-diy-kit/

loading up some roms now but ill post pics of the back, the rad cart cover and poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should’ve put it in an SP instead

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone else play Read Dead 2 with first person? I just started playing again and switched to it and it is way more immersive. But I'm also not a big fan of playing games in third person anyway.

Kinda makes me want to one day go back and play through GTA V in first person. It's works really well in RD2, when I first heard about it for GTA V I thought it was just a gimmick they patched in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

aw yissssss

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress yeah.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

my man

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So, who's hooked on Apex Legends?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That's baller as hell

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

un squadron is the secret good gip game

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I think this is Week 2 of owning a Switch, and even though I'm at a point in Odyssey where I think I have to back track because I went through a checkpoint (Cappy getting abducted), it was a very good purchase.

It is a snow day, I am now going to play Zelda for probably 12 hours.

Speaking of: When the hell did spoilers go from "o" to "spoiler"

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 12, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Kinda makes me want to one day go back and play through GTA V in first person. It's works really well in RD2, when I first heard about it for GTA V I thought it was just a gimmick they patched in.

It's worth it. Install any mods you want, go into offline mode, and do all the driving in third person. You'll have a blast. It makes the bank robbery intro more intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My Little Immortal Horse Chancellor