Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you talking about when they shot Wallace?

Basically the whole series, which had no non-ambient music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not gonna lie: I just finished up my first viewing of Deadwood. It was brutal, hilarious and wonderful, but this will probably be the defining moment of the show for me.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

caligulamprey posted:

Not gonna lie: I just finished up my first viewing of Deadwood. It was brutal, hilarious and wonderful, but this will probably be the defining moment of the show for me.

If we're talking about impressions, this will always be my fave https://youtu.be/pSchfzne9HU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Titus Welliver almost losing it at the Farnum impression owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dolly telling Al she supports Harry for sheriff because “Bullock yells at you” is one of the most heartbreakingly sweet scenes I’ve ever seen

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Escobarbarian posted:

Dolly telling Al she supports Harry for sheriff because “Bullock yells at you” is one of the most heartbreakingly sweet scenes I’ve ever seen

I'm finally watching this show and I just got to the scene in S3 where he talks to her about being held down and his childhood trauma. What a fantastic loving show.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I work as a cashier in a grocery store, and a customer came through with canned peaches and cinnamon and it made me think of the show.

Also watching A New Hope, 3-PO and R2 are basically EB and Richardson.

Well thanks for reading.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I haven't rewatched the series since my first go round. I started last night. I find my self smiling everytime Al starts talking. On episode 3.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

Also watching A New Hope, 3-PO and R2 are basically EB and Richardson.
This metaphor falls completely apart because Richardson actually was a simpleton and Artoo is smarter than Threepio.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Richardson at amateur night made me lose my poo poo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Richardson at amateur night made me lose my poo poo
I can't remember what he did. Can you jog my memory?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He juggled!

Finished the series, definitely up there with the best shows of all time, even if s3 did have a tendency to become a weird shaggy dog story at times and spend too much time on some less interesting characters. Can’t wait for the movie!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Less than 4 months to premier!! :aaaaa:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/deadwood-movie-premiere-date-spring-2019-1202553319/amp/

quote:

When HBO Programming President Casey Bloys last July announced that the long-in-the-works Deadwood movie has finally been greenlighted, his guess was that the film might debut in Spring 2019. That had been the target premiere date, and I hear it has now been firmed up. David Milch’s Deadwood followup will debut this spring and will be eligible for the 2019 Primetime Emmy Awards.
:popeye:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Cinnamon status: Authorized

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm not celebrating till these cocksuckers give us a specific date.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

This metaphor falls completely apart because Richardson actually was a simpleton and Artoo is smarter than Threepio.

Reminder that 3PO was built by Darth Vader. Man, those movies are stupid.

Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as someone who was a fan of game of thrones it sucks that we've got three terrible seasons of that (and one more to go) with each probably more expensive than the entire run of deadwood.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

as someone who was a fan of game of thrones it sucks that we've got three terrible seasons of that (and one more to go) with each probably more expensive than the entire run of deadwood.

While I disagree with you that GOT has been terrible, I feel that if Deadwood had been made when there was HBO GO it wouldn't have gotten cancelled.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there an interview with an HBO exec who said something about Deadwood getting cancelled before they realized how much money there could be in DVD sales (and later streaming)? Or was that another series?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HanabaL03 posted:

While I disagree with you that GOT has been terrible, I feel that if Deadwood had been made when there was HBO GO it wouldn't have gotten cancelled.

is there a state worse than terrible?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

is there a state worse than terrible?

Yeah, it's called "The Walking Dead".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it's called "The Walking Dead".

And that's a couple levels above Dexter :eyepop:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven’t been up on the walking dead for a good long while but Dexter had some duuuuumb poo poo so I find that hard to top.

It peaked with John Lithgow.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

turtleface posted:

If we're talking about impressions, this will always be my fave https://youtu.be/pSchfzne9HU

Christ I forgot about this, Al sounds like Kermit

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

withak posted:

Wasn't there an interview with an HBO exec who said something about Deadwood getting cancelled before they realized how much money there could be in DVD sales (and later streaming)? Or was that another series?

IIRC it was about a bunch of shows from that time -- Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

IIRC it was about a bunch of shows from that time -- Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale.

All those shows were also very expensive, especially for the time. Rome was something like $8 million an episode, Deadwood about $6 million, and Carnivale $4 million. Early GoT was around $6 million an episode 6 years later.

Ratings for the three earlier series peaked with season 1, while GoT has improved every year.

Really you could say HBO learned their lessons from those 3 shows and applied them to GoT.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pyrotek posted:

All those shows were also very expensive, especially for the time. Rome was something like $8 million an episode, Deadwood about $6 million, and Carnivale $4 million. Early GoT was around $6 million an episode 6 years later.

Ratings for the three earlier series peaked with season 1, while GoT has improved every year.

Really you could say HBO learned their lessons from those 3 shows and applied them to GoT.

Ironically that show would have benefitted greatly from getting cancelled oh around 3 seasons ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hakkesshu posted:

Ironically that show would have benefitted greatly from getting cancelled oh around 3 seasons ago.

Apparently not according to HBO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

withak posted:

it was rome after they truncated what was going to be the entire rest of the series into the second season. i remember at the time being mad they did that to rome but were gonna make some show about a fantasy book series so them saying that stuck in my mind.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

pyrotek posted:

Still though, imagine if GOT didn't have HBOGO and social media to hype it?

Deadwood and Rome had neither. There wasn't a way to rewatch the episodes, no HBO on demand. You had to wait for DVDs to come out to catch up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which is still somehow above Weeds

dreffen posted:

I haven’t been up on the walking dead for a good long while but Dexter had some duuuuumb poo poo so I find that hard to top.

Walking Dead has reached new levels of terrible. They lost Carl, Rick and Maggie, did a 6 year time skip, and now Judith is a main character and a little Annie Oakley type.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was rome after they truncated what was going to be the entire rest of the series into the second season. i remember at the time being mad they did that to rome but were gonna make some show about a fantasy book series so them saying that stuck in my mind.

They hosed both of my favorite shows and i'm still kinda pissed about it.

Edit: Rome and Deadwood for clarity.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Carnivale was so good and I'm glad it's finally on HBOGo/Now, but I wish it had kept going.

Also, why isn't From the Earth to the Moon anywhere? :confused:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Carnivale was so good and I'm glad it's finally on HBOGo/Now, but I wish it had kept going.

Also, why isn't From the Earth to the Moon anywhere? :confused:

Are Band of Brothers and The Pacific? If not, it could be a thing with Dreamworks and/or Playtone. I don't recall seing those two on HBO Go way back when I had a subsciption.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

Are Band of Brothers and The Pacific? If not, it could be a thing with Dreamworks and/or Playtone. I don't recall seing those two on HBO Go way back when I had a subsciption.

Yeah, they've both been on for a while now. FtEttM is the only miniseries I can't find anywhere besides my family's ~ancient~ VHS copy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember on the original run of Rome (pre-DVR, for me) I thought the second season would be as long as the first season, then about halfway through episode 10 I realized it was the finale...
:smith:

Then, years later, I rewatched it with my lady and did the same thing: halfway through episode 10 she goes "is this the finale?" and I'm like "lol oops!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rome also bombed in England so the BBC pulled out of co-production duties. Blame the BBC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/J_Rosenfield/status/1094967804485349376

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, they've both been on for a while now. FtEttM is the only miniseries I can't find anywhere besides my family's ~ancient~ VHS copy.

That's weird it's not on there. I saw it on Blu-Ray just the other day and thought about picking it up at some point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Stare-Out posted:

That's weird it's not on there. I saw it on Blu-Ray just the other day and thought about picking it up at some point.

Are you sure it was From the Earth to the Moon? I don't think it was ever released on Blu Ray. The effects were made for SD TV, so they would probably have to redo them. To be honest, the effects weren't that great, and if they could redo them to modern standards, I'd probably buy it. Also, just release it as 4:3 like ST TNG. Cutting out bits just to make it widescreen is as bad as pan and scan to make things full screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You're right - it may have been the DVD box set and not Blu-Ray. I don't know about the format but I'd wager it's the original 4:3. And I thought the effects were totally fine for a tv miniseries and held up okay when I last watched the show.