Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I think this the most I've laughed at a visual gag in this thread in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 19, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 19, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 19, 1987)

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 10, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Yep, the Forths are still the best family.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

I like how in Greg's fantasy, there's still an old couch, it's just on the beach.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Alright folks, I'd like to introduce you the classic New Zealand comic strip Footrot Flats, than ran from 1976 to 1994 and was featured in every single 80's Australian newspaper ever. Every single time I picked up a newspaper as a kid, I'd flip to the comics page to read it. I had a plush Dog. I had quite a few of the collected editions. I even had the movie on VHS. Footrot Flats was pretty much formative in my appreciation of comics, and of black & white comics in particular.

And there are too many cat strips in this thread, it needs a good Dog.

Footrot Flats (1976)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ed tries to act young by tucking an AC/DC shirt into torn jeans. Jesus. I know that's the (really lovely) joke, but it's weird that since like 80% of the comics are Ed complaining about these drat kids these days, that the other 20% of the comics are him being a complete buffoon whose opinion is demonstrably worthless. Ed should close the garage door and leave the car engine running. gently caress I hate this comic.

Somebody please Photoshop Ed's shirt to some black metal band and put him in corpse paint and leather pants.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think you skipped a BCN, so:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lol at the idea of Ed owning an AC/DC shirt.

The Dinette Set asks a stupid question.

Working Daze thinks this is a huge burn, apparently.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix may not be 100% accurate.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

kidcoelacanth posted:

Oh thank heavens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jon and Liz still feels so weird.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lol at the idea of Ed owning an AC/DC shirt.

An old fat lawyer trying to recapture youth by wearing a 70s hard rock shirt tucked into dad jeans is pretty much on the nose.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Back to work, back to a blurrier than usual batch of Closer to Home!

Zetsubou-san posted:

Alright folks, I'd like to introduce you the classic New Zealand comic strip Footrot Flats, than ran from 1976 to 1994 and was featured in every single 80's Australian newspaper ever. Every single time I picked up a newspaper as a kid, I'd flip to the comics page to read it. I had a plush Dog. I had quite a few of the collected editions. I even had the movie on VHS. Footrot Flats was pretty much formative in my appreciation of comics, and of black & white comics in particular.

I'm excited to read this as I've seen the movie but have no context for any of it!

Edit: I'm also really enjoying Geech!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 10, 2019

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane What a half-assed attempt at this kind of gag.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

"There goes the neighborhood," thinks Kevin. Another drat squirrel moved in, just what was the world coming to?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Potsticker posted:

"There goes the neighborhood," thinks Kevin. Another drat squirrel moved in, just what was the world coming to?

Also "Boy, he better get himself out of that nut pile or a predator will be along to savage and devour him!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Better say squirrel than draw a loving squirrel tail

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Rose is Rose has always been a nauseating glurge-fest, but I didn't remember One Big Happy being this trite. Have I just been ignoring it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Elysiume posted:

Rose is Rose has always been a nauseating glurge-fest, but I didn't remember One Big Happy being this trite. Have I just been ignoring it?

It's always been trite and hateful towards anyone who's not in a traditional family with 2.5 kids

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zetsubou-san posted:

And the best cat, Horse.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zetsubou-san posted:

Alright folks, I'd like to introduce you the classic New Zealand comic strip Footrot Flats...
I seem to remember this being posted before, but I don't remember much about it. I look forward to seeing some more!

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I saw the drop panels for this today and thought they were worth posting.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon March 1962

Someone posted Popeye's Cartoon Club a few weeks back, but I don't remember seeing it since. But then, it's Sunday-only and kind of dull, but it is neat seeing different cartoonists doing Popeye. The only one in the last three weeks that I found a little funny is this one:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I will be truly surprised if there hasn't been a single Dustin where ed bitches about the comics staple of old farts everywhere, young people and their ripped jeans. And there's no telling me it's different because young people buy them pre-ripped while Ed came by his ripped jeans honestly. The man does not engage in manual labor or physically-intense sports activities. The most likely place to find natural wear on Ed's jeans would be from thigh rub.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

kidcoelacanth posted:

You're right, I forgot to post yesterday, I thought I had! Here's the rest of my comics:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Vargo posted:

You're right, I forgot to post yesterday, I thought I had! Here's the rest of my comics:

Uh-oh. Don't go down that road again Dana!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The_Other posted:

Uh-oh. Don't go down that road again Dana!

I don't think she could get away with "that road" in a newspaper comic strip, even with how absolutely depraved some of the stuff posted in this thread is. And honestly, even if this does get "Raine Dog"-ish, it won't be anywhere near as bad as whatever the gently caress that Frosty the Snowman poo poo was in Intelligent Life.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Of all the things posted, only compu-toon has the ability to make me go :psyduck: So thanks, appreciate it a ton.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oh sure, he freed the slaves and saved the Union, but Abe really botched the Elephant thing.

Literally laughed out loud at the final panel. I can't wait to see where we go from here!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JethroMcB posted:

Oh sure, he freed the slaves and saved the Union, but Abe really botched the Elephant thing.
Props to whoever had an opportunity to name something the Danger Islands and took it, though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1985)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Teddy Roosevelt botched a similar opportunity with the hippopotamus.

https://magazine.atavist.com/american-hippopotamus

Grumble Bees
Oct 5, 2013

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 13, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy)

Out of the magazine Skippys I've posted so far, this is my favorite of the lot. Just about every one of these could be a new avatar...or whatever the 1920s equivalent of the Calvin windshield decal was. (April 26, 1923)

(Pre-Skippy, March 16, 1923)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set can't be contained.

Working Daze doesn't realize that if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix thinks long-term.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

here was me thinking maybe they didn't get it because they weren't familiar with an almost forty-year old children's movie, but no it's simply that they'd forgotten the exact same reference made four years earlier.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

here was me thinking maybe they didn't get it because they weren't familiar with an almost forty-year old children's movie, but no it's simply that they'd forgotten the exact same reference made four years earlier.

Hey, I remember The Last Unicorn, my family borrowed it from our local library multiple times.

I went back a year ago and rewatched it out of curiosity and man that's a strange film.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
May 8th, 2006

May 9th, 2006

May 10th, 2006

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

The Princess Planet

May 9th, 2006

May 10th, 2006

I don't care what anyone says, these two are good comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

asecondduck posted:

Hey, I remember The Last Unicorn, my family borrowed it from our local library multiple times.

I went back a year ago and rewatched it out of curiosity and man that's a strange film.
The book is even weirder because the entire story is about stories and in the book the story itself is also part of the story about stories and several characters are aware of their own fictionality.