Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've had boss fights like that. Bloodletter spam is great when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

drat. I have one that gives me Offense books regularly, but I need to trade in some of this Tactics for Mental if I'm going to beat this quest.
Take/level up a different recruit instead?

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

FactsAreUseless posted:

Putting the glam in glamour with this extremely 1920s hair and circlet combo.

That's pretty flappy, not gonna be mendacious.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like Shadowbringers might be able to revitalize my hype after Stormblood. Ala Mhigo didn't do it for me after Ishgard.

Hopefully we only get one major area to focus on instead of dividing the focus. It does help that the backgrounds seem to be pretty lively this time instead of "Brown and rocky. Also, throw in some water, maybe.", Doman areas aside.

:psyduck:

You are not going to shade Ala Mhigo while propping up Snowy Wasteland #142.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

You are not going to shade Ala Mhigo while propping up Snowy Wasteland #142.
There are only three snowy areas in the game: Coerthas Central, Coerthas Western, and Foundation itself.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are only three snowy areas in the game: Coerthas Central, Coerthas Western, and Foundation itself.

And Ala Mhigo has The Fringes, The Peaks, and The Lochs.

Coerthas 1 comes with 2 different ice dungeons. Coerthas 2 has another snow dungeon. It shares an aesthetic with one of the other snow dungeons by design.

It's a lot of loving snowy dour ruins is all I'm sayin and I'll be happy to never see another frozen wasteland for the rest of this game's life time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

And Ala Mhigo has The Fringes, The Peaks, and The Lochs.
I don't remember there being snow here, but maybe I'm just misremembering.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember there being snow here, but maybe I'm just misremembering.

I'm sorry, I was making a point about how there is an excess of snow areas by listing how many more there are when compared to Ala Mhigo's "brown with water" aesthetic that Hobgoblin mentioned.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sorry, I was making a point about how there is an excess of snow areas by listing how many more there are when compared to Ala Mhigo's "brown with water" aesthetic that Hobgoblin mentioned.
I think FFXIV is really good at making large, empty areas interesting and dramatic, so I'm in favor of all these things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like the amount of time you spent in any of the Ala Mhigo zones was extremely small compared to the Doma end of things anyway

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
A bit late but I have enjoyed all the trailers including Stormblood's namaste

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 11, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like the amount of time you spent in any of the Ala Mhigo zones was extremely small compared to the Doma end of things anyway

Anyone who was around at SB launch spent plenty of time in The Fringes west side.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Trasson posted:

Anyone who was around at SB launch spent plenty of time in The Fringes west side.

Not me! I spent the first 6-8 hours or so in potd levelling samurai to 60 first. Then I hit the wall and then I went off and did frontlines because the exp at the time was crazy good, and also frontlines are good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Trasson posted:

:lol:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Things looked grim for us after Carteneau, didn't they?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bwahahahaha! It's like all my namedays have come at once!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big news everybody I have finally finished leveling all of the classes I could ever want to play.

Since it's kind of in the lead up to an expansions I'm wondering if I should give a poo poo about gearing up, considering I'm 380 on all my classes. Should I just take it easy and slowly level up the other classes or will it be that important to have 400 come ShB launch?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Do you have one geared out class that you like to play? If not it might be helpful but far from critical to spend a week or two throwing mendacity and alphascape gear their way. If yes then it won't really matter, putter around and level alt jobs and farm glamour and spend tomestones where it's convenient and you'll be fine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Stormblood levelling dungeons pissed out massive amounts of gear at you, so it won't be hard to stay with the curve, especially if you run run dungeons more than once.

You won't need 400 ilvl gear, but it probably won't be replaced until the mid-way point through the levelling curve. Might as well work a bit towards gearing up a main or at least spreading around some 400 level items though.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

jokes posted:

Big news everybody I have finally finished leveling all of the classes I could ever want to play.

Since it's kind of in the lead up to an expansions I'm wondering if I should give a poo poo about gearing up, considering I'm 380 on all my classes. Should I just take it easy and slowly level up the other classes or will it be that important to have 400 come ShB launch?

Generally speaking pre-gearing makes the early going a littler easier, but previously the top end tome gear has been replaced inside of 5 levels. Meaning that augmented ironworks (level 50 gear, ilvl 130) was able to carry you to 55 and augmented shire gear (level 60, ilvl 270) was able to carry you to 65. At those breakpoints the dungeons would drop mostly* identical gear and every dungeon after would have more powerful gear.

FFXIV being a little formulaic this means that augmented scavean gear will likely be useful until level 75 in the new expansion.

If you want to keep it in the back of your head, go for it. Just do a weekly orbonne and cap out genesis each week but typically you’ll have a lot of time in the pre-expansion release lull to catch up.

* = The ilvl 270 tank gear that drops from dungeons is way better than the augmented shire gear because of a higher defense value.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Trasson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTRxOM81Bc

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If they do it like shire gear in Stormblood, you can always run alliance/cutscene/5060 (506070?) roulettes for some quick and easy level 400 upgrades in the first week in case your leveling job of choice isn't all caught up yet. No point in stressing over gear levels for the expansion. As long as your weapon is ready, you're fine.

RedRaven posted:

* = The ilvl 270 tank gear that drops from dungeons is way better than the augmented shire gear because of a higher defense value.

This is not true, BTW. I'm not sure why people keep saying this since 4.0, there's no bonus to defense on gear of equal (HW-range) item levels:

regular Shire (item level 260)
Augmented Shire (item level 270)
level 63 Shisui drops (item level 270)
level 64 white gear (item level 273)
level 65 Bardam drops (item level 276)

The ramp up in defense only happens after Shisui/augmented shire gear. The level 64 whites have a little more defense but lower stats if they're NQ, and minor stat bonuses and a large increase in defense if they're HQ. This is why doing Bardam's in augmented shire gear is perfectly fine BTW (the first significant upgrades come from the dungeon itself), but if you want to do huge pulls you better know how to use your cooldowns.

And have a healer who isn't stuck using level 220 gear or whatever :v:

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 11, 2019

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hogama posted:

Things looked grim for us after Carteneau, didn't they?

I started after 1.0, so my character wasn't one of the heroes sent forward in time by Louisoix. I always wondered what happened to those previous Warriors of Light. I guess Louis just messed up the spell and they are floating in the void somewhere. :shrug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

I started after 1.0, so my character wasn't one of the heroes sent forward in time by Louisoix. I always wondered what happened to those previous Warriors of Light. I guess Louis just messed up the spell and they are floating in the void somewhere. :shrug:

Nah they just became the Warriors of Darkness.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
If I finish the post SB MSQ, will I eventually unlock the 70 dungeon roulettes? They are locked out and ask it tells me is '???' to unlock them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You need to do more dungeons. '???' just means an instance you haven't unlocked yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, you need to have every dungeon for each roulette unlocked before you can run that roulette.

If you're on Aether and want a healbot to make it less painful, I'd be happy to help.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

If I finish the post SB MSQ, will I eventually unlock the 70 dungeon roulettes? They are locked out and ask it tells me is '???' to unlock them.
There are a few optional dungeons not tied to the MSQ that you have to unlock and clear separately.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons#Stormblood_Dungeons (the ones with the blue "unlock content" quest icon)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

orcane posted:

There are a few optional dungeons not tied to the MSQ that you have to unlock and clear separately.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons#Stormblood_Dungeons (the ones with the blue "unlock content" quest icon)
Notably, two of them require optional dungeons from Heavensward (Fractal Continuum and Saint Mocianne's Arboretum), and one of them requires progress in a sidequest line that includes Trials (Swallow's Compass - technically Hell's Lid is the same sidequest series, but it's the start of it and also branches from a scene of the MSQ so it's not quite as out of the way to find).

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I'm level 34 in Pagos and already have enough NM crystals to upgrade the weapon all the way, just need light. I love how the super boss that people are obsessed about is completely worthless to bother with unless you're one of the psychopaths trying to do more than one relic.

gently caress Pagos btw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Becuase I have no impulse control I bought the Starter's Edition on steam and started playing this game. I made a character on Zalera so I could play with friends who already have the game. It's fun so far.

But I jsut got the cutscene where Hydaelin talks about the crystals and all I could hear was "Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive, child of purgatory!" Same VA, I'm sure. Now I regret not doing a Digital Devil Saga inspired character.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FactsAreUseless posted:

Putting the glam in glamour with this extremely 1920s hair and circlet combo.

Love any glam that uses the incredibly good gambler's coat

What legs are those? I've been looking for a good leg slot glam for my RDM set, been using the catgirl starting skirt but I'm pretty much over all the upskirt shots in cutscenes so I've been trying to find something that fits the rest of the outfit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Love any glam that uses the incredibly good gambler's coat

What legs are those? I've been looking for a good leg slot glam for my RDM set, been using the catgirl starting skirt but I'm pretty much over all the upskirt shots in cutscenes so I've been trying to find something that fits the rest of the outfit.

Bad news: they're the Elezen starting pants. Good news: the Pagos Culottes are fairly similar and can be purchased for pennies on the MB. Casters also get a level 50 version of the Culottes that dye differently if you like the style but want a different dye tone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vermain posted:

Bad news: they're the Elezen starting pants. Good news: the Pagos Culottes are fairly similar and can be purchased for pennies on the MB. Casters also get a level 50 version of the Culottes that dye differently if you like the style but want a different dye tone.

That'll probably work, thanks!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Zokari posted:

I'm level 34 in Pagos and already have enough NM crystals to upgrade the weapon all the way, just need light. I love how the super boss that people are obsessed about is completely worthless to bother with unless you're one of the psychopaths trying to do more than one relic.

Nobody cares about Cassie for the light. The reason people are after her is because she drops earrings that give you a constant haste effect while in Eureka, giving you a faster GCD. You can sell these on the marketboard for about a bazillion dollars because people have more money than sense and they drop unbelievably infrequently.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fel Cleave has finally been the thing that made me stop worrying and love the dps stance.

Or at least, levelling my tanks from 30-50 I didn't really like swapping off my tank stance because it felt risky and I wasn't really sure if the pay-off was worth it in a lot of situations. Also with DRK, you don't have a deliberate DPS stance, right, it's just grit on/off? With WAR swapping into Deliverance once I have decent aggro on a boss and slapping down 3 fel cleaves feels pretty sick. Still a bit iffy on deliverance for trash, or at least when it comes to big pulls.

(PLD 50, WAR 59, DRK 63 is where I'm at with my tanks for what it's worth.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
DPS stance is Darkside :devil:

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Nobody cares about Cassie for the light. The reason people are after her is because she drops earrings that give you a constant haste effect while in Eureka, giving you a faster GCD.

What are the name of these earrings, because that sounds seriously op to give you a faster gcd.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now I regret not doing a Digital Devil Saga inspired character.

You get a free Fantasia around 20~ iirc, which allows you to redesign your character once for free if you're not entirely happy with the current one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's right DRK doesn't have a DPS stance. Dark side should be on 100% of the time whether you're in grit or not.

Worth noting that tanks feel good and complete basically only near the end and the levels of your tanks are unfortunately juuuuust below where things get good for each tank.

WAR gets Inner Release at 70 which is a major shift in how you play it. Inner Release makes all things free so you can spam fell cleave. This is way different because it frees up all your other actions when IR is recharging (outside of minor optimizations with infuriate). So whereas before IR you line up your DPS combo hits and bank up some rage for your berserk, after IR you can do whatever whenever since IR/berserk is reserved for fell cleaves.

PLD doesn't get a proper DPS combo until late 50s with its really good dot and royal authority, and the other half of their normal rotation in late SB with Holy spirit and requiescat. So before you get your SB skills you're functionally 50% of what a normal PLD is doing for damage. Before HW you're not even using the damage skills.

DRK doesn't change too much in the "hitting one dude" playstyle though. Their get more defensive stuff in later levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
You can drop darkside if there's going to be extended downtime (like the long-rear end transitions in most of the four lord fights) so that you can get some free MP regen but that's pretty much the only reason to turn it off. Darkside is kind of silly.