Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Old Grasshopper posted:

Lando Norris was actually born in 1999 and is 19 years old racing in F1. It’s kinda nuts isn’t it? He seems to be a good talent and is British. Which is nice for McLaren I guess.

I think Williams has some treat drivers this year. George Russell who won F2 in 2018, and the great return of Kubica. Just need the car to actually be competitive!

And on RBR using Honda I’m genuinely excited. TR had a pretty good run with Honda last year, and the guys in Japan seem to have invested a lot to get themselves back to the place they should be. We all know that Honda on form are a terrifying force to be reckoned with. Makes me wonder what would’ve happened if McLaren had owned some of the problems with the car and worked with Honda rather than working against them. Big personalities like Alonso tend not to go down well with the guys from Japan. Which again, makes me wonder how Verstappen will get on with his Honda engineers VS the lovely Pierre who is just a nice guy.

All in all, I’m really excited for this season.

source you're quotse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bland-o bore-piss. He'll run around at the back being entirely unremarkable except for the fact he's British which means sky will repeatedly big him up for no reason.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Rhopunzel posted:

honda haven't been on form since...about 1991, so i'm not holding my breath

of course now that i've said that they'll magically be amazing next year and win the championship

It’s been rough, and last year wasn’t without it’s hiccups. But remember what it was like in 1991? The relationship Ron Dennis had with the guys from Honda? The way Senna got on with his Honda engineers but the frosty Prost really struggled to make it work? I can totally see Pierre with his more years with Honda getting on better than Verstappen.

As for sources, here are a few. A lot of it is based on watching F1 for a lifetime. I’m not going to link to how good Honda were when they were on form, because we all know that.

Various sources:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11405832/analysiswhy-have-red-bull-switched-to-honda

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.red-bull-have-'healthy'-working-environment-with-honda-horner.cnSF2RcpzieoE0gqWugks.html

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/amp/20981

There was a BBC article I read a while ago but can’t find this morning :aaaaa: I feel hopeful for 2019, but if this season goes well it might be 2020 or 2021 that we see Red Bull being a very strong championship contender. (I want it to be this year though! Stay hopeful!)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

honda haven't been on form since...about 1991, so i'm not holding my breath

of course now that i've said that they'll magically be amazing next year and win the championship

They're a terrifying force in the way that pistons flying out of the engine casing are scary

Old Grasshopper posted:

I can totally see Pierre with his more years with Honda getting on better than Verstappen.

Having said that, it would be amazing if Gasly shits all over Verstappen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Toro Rosso had a pretty good run with Honda? The same Toro Rosso that used twice as many engines as the next nearest team, picking up a preposterous number of penalties in the process?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Old Grasshopper posted:

Lando Norris was actually born in 1999 and is 19 years old racing in F1. It’s kinda nuts isn’t it? He seems to be a good talent and is British. Which is nice for McLaren I guess.

I think Williams has some treat drivers this year. George Russell who won F2 in 2018, and the great return of Kubica. Just need the car to actually be competitive!

And on RBR using Honda I’m genuinely excited. TR had a pretty good run with Honda last year, and the guys in Japan seem to have invested a lot to get themselves back to the place they should be. We all know that Honda on form are a terrifying force to be reckoned with. Makes me wonder what would’ve happened if McLaren had owned some of the problems with the car and worked with Honda rather than working against them. Big personalities like Alonso tend not to go down well with the guys from Japan. Which again, makes me wonder how Verstappen will get on with his Honda engineers VS the lovely Pierre who is just a nice guy.

All in all, I’m really excited for this season.

All British drivers are trash, much like the entire country. #ForzaFerrari

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Old Grasshopper posted:

I feel hopeful for 2019
I'm pretty sure hope or any other kind of positive sentiment isn't allowed in this thread

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Anyone pumped for the Toro Rosso and Williams launches today? Genuine question

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Tsaedje posted:

No, but testing is one week away and then the hype levels will start.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Well, I guess I'm kind of curious to see how underwhelming the Williams livery is going to be now that Martini has hosed off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Doc M posted:

Well, I guess I'm kind of curious to see how underwhelming the Williams livery is going to be now that Martini has hosed off.

Maybe they went shopping for new sponsors based on color scheme.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Doc M posted:

I'm pretty sure hope or any other kind of positive sentiment isn't allowed in this thread

I'm also a Williams fan, so I have no right to feel any positivity.

Doc M posted:

I'm excited to see what it looks like now. It can't be that bad... can it? :ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Can't wait to see the Williams sidepods

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Old Grasshopper posted:

I'm excited to see what it looks like now. It can't be that bad... can it? :ohdear:

It'll just be hill, villeneuve and mansell's faces all over the car

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

McLaren has signed a multi-year deal with... *checks notes* ...British American Tobacco?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141420/exbar-team-owner-bat-back-to-f1-with-mclaren

Put 555 sponsorship on the car, you cowards. I don't care tobacco advertising is banned, just do it.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

The Croc posted:

It'll just be hill, villeneuve and mansell's faces all over the car

I'd genuinely love this. They also call the car "Car McCarFace" and put Nigel's moustache on the front wing to make it look like his face.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol: better cash in on the death throes of big tobacco while it's not yet illegal to advertise one of their products

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Doc M posted:

McLaren has signed a multi-year deal with... *checks notes* ...British American Tobacco?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141420/exbar-team-owner-bat-back-to-f1-with-mclaren

Put 555 sponsorship on the car, you cowards. I don't care tobacco advertising is banned, just do it.

No thanks

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You're right, 555 doesn't deserve to be associated with a noted bin team such as McLaren

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#mclarenshadow555missiondontfinishlastorpleasegetapodiuminthenexttenyearsornow

news
It seems that Scuderia Ferrari has employed a new method of construction using a process similar to 3D printing. This new and revolutionary type of 3D printing actually uses a material with similar properties to carbon fibre, which creates the possibility of making actual parts for the car at a speed unprecedented in Formula 1 car manufacturing. It is rumoured to be up to ten times faster than the normal process of making moulds, laying sheets of carbon fibre and then heating by use of an autoclave oven. From the moment the piece is designed on the Cad Cam computer, it is directly moulded with these new generation materials. The significance of such a breakthrough could become extremely important in this era of limited testing, given the fact that Formula 1 teams with such processes can rapidly alter aero parts ‘on the fly’, and send directly to the track during a race weekend. It is said that soon the process might even be used on site, in the pit garage during a weekend.

The process does not represent something new for rivals Mercedes, Red Bull or indeed Renault. The main difference would be that the Maranello team has identified a solution to actually make it work on a practical level, which led to the FIA technical delegate being present during the crash test.

Parts of the chassis were manufactured in this new material, so the FIA were keen to ensure that the test performed normally and without incident.

Also Kimi mechanics will work with Seb and Seb team will be asigned to Charles.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 11, 2019

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Still standing by my now alonso's gone mclaren suddenly best team on the grid prediction.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So when Vettel destroys another steering wheel while beeing stuck in the barricades in Hockenheim, a new one is falling out of the 3D printer back in the pits? That's cool!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it would be cool if the FIA finally bans the comunication with the factories but allow to make parts on site

tuo posted:

So when Vettel destroys another steering wheel while beeing stuck in the barricades in Hockenheim, a new one is falling out of the 3D printer back in the pits? That's cool!

shut up

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

it would be cool if the FIA finally bans the comunication with the factories but allow to make parts on site

I agree to both. Having seen pictures/short clips of the "war room" of the larger race teams....

Then again, Mercedes "war room" (or whatever it's called there) loving up strategies is never not funny.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I though we agree on the fact that Vettel is a fraud that doesn't belong into a Ferrari?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A driver sucks until he wins.- Enzo Ferrari

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pastor Maldonado

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Bland-o bore-piss. He'll run around at the back being entirely unremarkable except for the fact he's British which means sky will repeatedly big him up for no reason.

The new Paul di resta, it is canon

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Looks like I'll be at the Indy500 this year. It's been a while since I added somewhere to my list of visited circuits.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuo posted:

Pastor Maldonado

he was good one (1) time

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

he was good one (1) time

Let's hope Vettel/Leclaire are good multiple times this year

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Pastor Maldonado

Señor Pastor es fenomenal op

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Williams add some yellow to their cars. The Martini livery was loving boring

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Señor Pastor es fenomenal op

He was quite good in Daytona, tbh

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember when pastor crashed into the leading Ferrari in some WEC or IMSA race? i dont remember well.

What im trying to say Pastor should be shot. President Guaidó should look into this imo?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
missionwintommorow

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

he was good one (1) time

He was using illegal parts and they set fire to the garage to destroy the evidence, OP

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

He was using illegal parts and they set fire to the garage to destroy the evidence, OP

This actually makes it better

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
renders dont count as launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

This year's Toro Rosso looks like last year's Toro Rosso with simplified aero at the front.