Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zwille posted:

I‘m betting either Friedrichshain or (maybe) Neukölln.

ephex posted:

Deffo Neukölln

It's Kreuzberg, ops.

edit: we did look into moving to Neukölln at one point a couple of years ago but yeah a lovely room in a lovely WG is now more expensive than our apartment, unless you get really lucky or go via friends etc.

oliwan fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
So you had the early bird special. Bummer, I thought you could give some insight on getting a good apartment.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sulla Faex posted:

What's the difference between an ex-pat and an immigrant

Skin color

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Randler posted:

Three balconies academic being out-gentrified by a supermarket, lol.

I wasn't gentrifying the neighborhood, I've been here for almost ten years :(

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zwille posted:

So you had the early bird special. Bummer, I thought you could give some insight on getting a good apartment.

There is none. Nowadays luck or Vitamin B is your only option. Neukölln is getting gentrified fast, almost the entire inner district has been gentrified already. You can still find affordable places a bit outside of the Ring though which still might be nice enough and have good connections.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

My old flat in Neukölln is gonna get turned into one of those fully furnished type deals, which means that the rent is probably gonna triple. Sorry to whoever asked a couple of months ago whether I already had a Nachmieter. I should have squatted the thing.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Flat hunting in Berlin really is a crapshoot. We got our flat because the person who signed after the first mass viewings backed out last minute. It was also luckily the cheapest we found in the area we were looking at, 750 warm (Schöneberg / Wilmersdorf, it probably helps if you don't want to live somewhere cool).

The flat is a Neubau and built to such a standard that if ever a Blindgänger should go off in the vicinity, we'd have to look for a new flat. And sometimes foreigners will spend an unreasonably long time trying to unlock our door when they really want the Airbnb flat one floor up, in which nobody lives :v:

Seagull Fiasco fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 11, 2019

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I watched Berlin I love you last night and: loving lol

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to picture what you'd have to do to my friend's Neukölln shithole to bring it up to gentrified AirBnB standards. Very possibly cheaper to build a new house if they're all like that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Just market it as „Berlin chic“. Bonus points if it’s still got a Kachelofen.

saltyslug posted:

I watched Berlin I love you last night and: loving lol

Tell us more!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Correction: first class bahn tickets are totally not worth it, everyone here is shouting into their business phone and the leather seats are cold.

So for all those of you who dislike the bourgeoisie, be content in the knowledge that bahn is already trolling them.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I still got my 3-room flat in Prenzelberg for less than 700 warm but lol if they ain't been renovating every single house in our street (and putting penthouses on top).

Luckily I am a very dangerous bearded Muslim dude and my wife looks very anti-Leitkultur, so we do our part by making South-German villagers uncomfortable by merely existing in the vicinity of their Kinderwagens, walking on the same side of the street at night etc :thumbsup:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

pidan posted:

Correction: first class bahn tickets are totally not worth it, everyone here is shouting into their business phone and the leather seats are cold.

You're not supposed to pay for those tickets yourself.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

caps on caps on caps posted:

I still got my 3-room flat in Prenzelberg for less than 700 warm but lol if they ain't been renovating every single house in our street (and putting penthouses on top).

Luckily I am a very dangerous bearded Muslim dude and my wife looks very anti-Leitkultur, so we do our part by making South-German villagers uncomfortable by merely existing in the vicinity of their Kinderwagens, walking on the same side of the street at night etc :thumbsup:

Very nice op, thank you for your service

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Randler posted:

You're not supposed to pay for those tickets yourself.

I didn't

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pidan posted:

So for all those of you who dislike the bourgeoisie, be content in the knowledge that bahn is already trolling them.

Best/worst are the first class seats in a loving Regionalexpress. They're basically the exact same thing with a different color of upholstery. But the Bahn attendants will still be quite happy to throw you out of them even if the rest of the wagons are full to loving burst.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Best/worst are the first class seats in a loving Regionalexpress. They're basically the exact same thing with a different color of upholstery. But the Bahn attendants will still be quite happy to throw you out of them even if the rest of the wagons are full to loving burst.

That's the point, even moreso for private Regionalbahnen.
Same seats, same widths, sometimes same color.

Only difference is that you sit in an empty part of the train, jacket and shoes on seats front/next to you, sipping your LeCafe, all while watching your lessers trample and fight over scarce Lebensraum in second class.

If you don't get this you don't really deserve to ride first class tbh

Edit: The less its actually better than second class, the more first class it is

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 11, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hot take: first class shouldn't exist

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Drone posted:

Then how do you not ride in an overfilled train ??

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

caps on caps on caps posted:

That's the point, even moreso for private Regionalbahnen.
Same seats, same widths, sometimes same color.

Only difference is that you sit in an empty part of the train, jacket and shoes on seats front/next to you, sipping your LeCafe, all while watching your lessers trample and fight over scarce Lebensraum in second class.

If you don't get this you don't really deserve to ride first class tbh

This guy gets it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Drone posted:

If it gets rich people to take the train instead of their Porsche Cayenne they can add free champagne for all I care.

Trains good

E: it also seems like the rich are subsidizing our train travel by chain ordering 8€ waffles

pidan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 11, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
war zu genervt heute Morgen, aber können wir bitte LEDs für Autos abschaffen? jedes mal in dieser dunklen Zeit das quasi Fernlicht aus 3 Spiegeln direkt in meine Fresse bis ich Kopfschmerzen bekomme :tfrxmas:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

war zu genervt heute Morgen, aber können wir bitte LEDs für Autos abschaffen? jedes mal in dieser dunklen Zeit das quasi Fernlicht aus 3 Spiegeln direkt in meine Fresse bis ich Kopfschmerzen bekomme :tfrxmas:

If light in your Fresse gives you Kopfweh, it's time to go to the arzt.
Also, many cars have something to at least abblend the rückspiegel, check your manual.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

LEDs are a loving scourge on the road. Even worse are animated Blinker. I’d rather people not blink than use those distracting eyesores.

One time a cyclist in front of me had a white LED pointed backwards, I was on a bike myself and couldn’t figure what the gently caress was going on, were they coming towards me or not?

Then there’s cyclists actually using LEDs pointing forward but those are too loving bright too. I say this as a cyclist/pedestrian even.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Something i learned in Hannover on a 5km dual-direction bicycle stretch i used daily is that in general people have no idea that the front light is supposed to be pointed at the ground. Occasionally i was tempted to buy a 10000 lumen lamp i could switch on to demonstrate to people what they were doing. (Also to actually see again.)

People with blinking poo poo on their bike should just get completely abgeholt by the polizei for endangering the general populace.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

People with blinking poo poo on their bike should just get completely abgeholt by the polizei for endangering the general populace.

I particularly love it when it's someone just pushing their bike. I don't have epilepsy but I always try to will myself into a seizure just so I can swallow my tongue and die and totally own those inconsiderate assholes

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Occasionally i was tempted to buy a 10000 lumen lamp i could switch on to demonstrate to people what they were doing.

I have one of those bike lamps (ok, 2700 I think) and a) they're loving great to see by, b) it's really hard to mount it so it doesn't get into anyone's eyes in all situations (and god help my gegner). The usual sign that I pointed it too high is cars swerving cause they can't see anything anymore.

Also, loving blinking lamps should be forbidden.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mano posted:

Also, loving blinking lamps should be forbidden.

They are.

§ 67 Abs. 3 Satz 3 StVZO, "Blinkende Scheinwerfer sind unzulässig."

§ 67 Abs. 4 Satz 4 StVZO, "Blinkende Schlussleuchten sind unzulässig."

Sanktionierbar als Ordnungswidrigkeit gemäß § 24 Abs. 1 StVG i.V.m. § 69a Abs. 4 StVZO mit Geldbuße bis zu zweitausend Euro.

Randler fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 11, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Randler posted:

They are.

§ 67 Abs. 3 Satz 3 StVZO, "Blinkende Scheinwerfer sind unzulässig."

§ 67 Abs. 4 Satz 4 StVZO, "Blinkende Schlussleuchten sind unzulässig."

Sanktionierbar als Ordnungswidrigkeit gemäß § 24 Abs. 1 StVG i.V.m. § 69a Abs. 4 StVZO mit Geldbuße bis zu zweitausend Euro.

Should cyclists be stopped and fined for using them?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My bike lamp blinks when I push the bike and I cannot turn it off. To save pedestrians from enduring this I just run them over in the Fußgängerzone at 28kph

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

Mano posted:

If light in your Fresse gives you Kopfweh, it's time to go to the arzt.
Dumb question, but is it possible to lose your driving license because your eye doc figured out that you see gigantic blinding angel halos instead of car lights? Or is even then an obligation to confidentiality? It's one of my weird, probably irrational, fears.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

pidan posted:

My bike lamp blinks when I push the bike and I cannot turn it off. To save pedestrians from enduring this I just run them over in the Fußgängerzone at 28kph

Can't you just disconnect the dyno, either from the wheel or the light? I've never owned a bike where the dynamo couldn't be flipped away from the wheel. Even if yours is fixed somehow there must be a plug for the power that you could pull and reconnect. Are you just hosed if anything stops working?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Domattee posted:

Can't you just disconnect the dyno, either from the wheel or the light? I've never owned a bike where the dynamo couldn't be flipped away from the wheel. Even if yours is fixed somehow there must be a plug for the power that you could pull and reconnect. Are you just hosed if anything stops working?

It's a Nabendynamo (can't disconnect) and there is no switch on the lamp. I could install a switch somehow or learn how to pull out wires every time. But I could also just never stop going fast

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I didn't even know those existed, sucks that there isn't a switch on the lamp. The deutschfaden will make sure that the lamp maker gets the proper blame should you die from your speeding ways. :sun:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Happy Litterbox posted:

Dumb question, but is it possible to lose your driving license because your eye doc figured out that you see gigantic blinding angel halos instead of car lights? Or is even then an obligation to confidentiality? It's one of my weird, probably irrational, fears.

Contact lenses are supposed to cause an effect like this and there are special lenses available that claim to help with it. I have no idea if they actually work though.

Occasionally, I have really lovely night vision myself too. Dunno what is causing this, but if doctor let 90y olds who are legally blind and deaf drive they are not gonna bother with small potatoes like us.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pidan posted:

It's a Nabendynamo (can't disconnect) and there is no switch on the lamp. I could install a switch somehow or learn how to pull out wires every time. But I could also just never stop going fast

You can carry around socks with various thicknesses and pull them over the lamp as needed :shrug:

e: also, I think that a headlight that you can't turn off is not street legal. watch out for the po-po

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sulla Faex posted:

Should cyclists be stopped and fined for using them?

They should be stopped and shot

and I say this as a cyclist

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I also see increasingly people with helmet lights which is super distracting when they look in another direction as they drive.

My nemesis is the car horn though. Pointless tool of aggression.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

haldolium posted:

My nemesis is the car horn though. Pointless tool of aggression.
really this. make every use of that goddamn thing cost 100€ or something. people around here have taken to honking at anyone daring to slow down when they turn right (to let loving cyclists and peds pass first but if you cant see those from two cars back they dont exist yknow)
its the most german thing. someone screws up while driving in any way whatsoever? let everyone know & turn their heads at that idiot by using a loving alarm signal. that should be used to WARN of danger ffs
just last week a loving taxi had the gall to use that screaming shocker on me when i was letting someone out. in a quiet street with loads of room for people to pass by me. you think a taxi driver of all people would have at least some understanding for letting people in & out of the car at random spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aix posted:

really this. make every use of that goddamn thing cost 100€ or something. people around here have taken to honking at anyone daring to slow down when they turn right (to let loving cyclists and peds pass first but if you cant see those from two cars back they dont exist yknow)
its the most german thing. someone screws up while driving in any way whatsoever? let everyone know & turn their heads at that idiot by using a loving alarm signal. that should be used to WARN of danger ffs
just last week a loving taxi had the gall to use that screaming shocker on me when i was letting someone out. in a quiet street with loads of room for people to pass by me. you think a taxi driver of all people would have at least some understanding for letting people in & out of the car at random spots

Seriously, ever since I moved to Hamburg, it's been like a non-stop honking concert. It's like these fuckers here believe the horn has magical properties or something. Other cars on the crossing didn't instantly dematerialize the moment your light turned green? Honk, that will make them vanish! General congestion slowing things down? Honk, that will instantly make it go faster! Light is red? Honk some more, that will do the trick! The first honk didn't do the trick? Just lean on the loving thing for ten seconds straight (in a Wohngebiet, too), surely that will help!