Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
While I'm not a fan of the remodel at all, the original MCM design (in the linked photos, not all) is kind of :effort: in a way that I don't like. Maybe it was growing up around a bunch of houses looking like that in a really poor area? I just think "rotting wood and poverty" when I see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry to go back. But how is a cabinet going to secure the building? Unless it’s a useless cabinet now with a steel beam wrapped in decor.

That steel beam continues up and bolted to the building frame was my understanding. That section of cabinets is just a facade now.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So it's winter and my apartment is 15c and my bedroom window is constantly covered in moisture to the point that there's tiny plants and moss growing along the bottom. I had a strip of privacy film on it too that I had to remove because i noticed it's spotted black with mold, no good.

Moving forward is there anything I can do to minimize this? It's a lovely 1930's single pane wood frame window. All the window moisture is dripping down into the bottom of the frame and collecting and it's stained black along with some moss. Another window actually has a little plant with leaves growing.

Is there anything me as a tenant can do in this situation? Landlord wants to replace all the windows in the building "one day" so I doubt he'd care if I put some weird film over it or did a lovely caulking job or what ever.

The windows just haven’t been maintained and could use a storm. A dehumidifier would take out some moisture with the added benefit of heating the place a little. Cling film would keep warm(ish) moist air away from the cold glass.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Slanderer posted:

This one (and ones from this building) came up before. The building was retrofitted for new CA earthquake codes.

"The Hell Beam"

>1 million dollars. The apartments without the beam sold for more.

https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco-ca/1488-harrison-st-302-san-francisco-ca-94103-110_432429/
https://www.businessinsider.com/random-beams-kitchen-run-straight-through-1-million-san-francisco-apartments-2018-7

It's across the road from a Costco, so it's got that going for it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Having seen a Costco parking lot, I feel like that'd be a minus. Those places mage surrounding roads a giant pain in the rear end.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just lmao. $6k a month for a studio sized apartment. Lol again sorry.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Just lmao. $6k a month for a studio sized apartment. Lol again sorry.
In San Francisco, that’s not particularly unreasonable relative to the market. Prices are out of this universe. It’s just the market.

The business insider article posted actually has a cross-link to another article which is even more absurd. The tl;dr version: “A fire-ravaged former drug den sold for $2 million dollars, double the initial asking price.”

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

The business insider article posted actually has a cross-link to another article which is even more absurd. The tl;dr version: “A fire-ravaged former drug den sold for $2 million dollars, double the initial asking price.”

The fact that it was ruined by fire honestly was almost certainly a bonus in this case. The buyers were not planning to use whatever structure was on the land anyway, and it's probably easier to tear down and clean up a burnt-out husk than an intact building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When a structure burns, a lot of red tape burns with it.

Suddenly the city is interested in seeing the ruins replaced with anything else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

When a structure burns, a lot of red tape burns with it.

Suddenly the city is interested in seeing the ruins replaced with anything else.

It's this one.

That fire wasn't an accident.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There's a shitheap in Boston that burned, and the owner steadfastly refused to do anything with it. IIRC he was even leaving open cans on the wreckage that attracted tons of rats? The city fought him for years before appointing someone to deal with it, he keeps suing in federal court to try and preserve his right to a crumbling rat hole.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

Things not to do to a mid-century house:

It's nice that it has its own bus stop.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: at all the tiny-rear end American windows completely ruining the lines (regardless of siding)

e: I'm the loving horrible carpet but also the lone Bertoia chair 40 000 metres from the sofa, where you sit your aunt when she visits.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: at all the tiny-rear end American windows completely ruining the lines (regardless of siding)

e: I'm the loving horrible carpet but also the lone Bertoia chair 40 000 metres from the sofa, where you sit your aunt when she visits.

Why is there a gramophone horn without the turntable?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

Why is there a gramophone horn without the turntable?

Pee.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pee is stored in the horn.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mycomancy posted:

Pee is stored in the horn.

Yeah. When people say they are "horny" it means they have to evacuate their balls, i.e. piss.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
And is that ship a sticker on the window, or a model just hung in the middle of the room, and in either case, why?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ITS ART OKAY?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

And is that ship a sticker on the window, or a model just hung in the middle of the room, and in either case, why?

Maybe the occupants are religious?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Because it's a lake, duh!!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Belongs in the cursed images thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think your ceiling has acne.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

It's metastasizing. Call a doctor.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wtfceiling.jpg

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The image keeps on delivering the longer I look at it:

-Why are the cans so shallow? CFLs are taller, but it looks like even an incandescent would stick out.
-Why are the cans randomly positioned everywhere?
-Why so many?
-Why is that 'art' (Virgin Mary?) crooked?
-Why is the 'art' jacked up almost against the ceiling? Is that a religious thing about looking up at it or something?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Not sure if terribly horrible or twisted genius:
https://twitter.com/michaelbellart/status/1063694896710598656?s=09

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

B-Nasty posted:

The image keeps on delivering the longer I look at it:

-Why are the cans so shallow? CFLs are taller, but it looks like even an incandescent would stick out.
-Why are the cans randomly positioned everywhere?
-Why so many?
-Why is that 'art' (Virgin Mary?) crooked?
-Why is the 'art' jacked up almost against the ceiling? Is that a religious thing about looking up at it or something?

Why is there a camera watching the whole thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/SFGate/status/1094569556272603136

The before is on the left :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:murder:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm glad all the twitter comments are saying what i'm thinking

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Water closet :dadjoke:

https://i.imgur.com/QG438xe.mp4

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

Blue Wang, a San Francisco resident who purchased the house in October 2017 as a flip, says the property has been a passion project.

"I'm the kind of person who pays a lot of attention to details," says Wang. "You walk into this house versus another house that's on the market and it's not going to be the same because of all the details I gave a lot of thought to.

Jesus loving christ these interiors are horrible.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 12, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That ain't clean water, either. What's the vote? Sewage or the coolant lines for a data center?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Perfect timing on the vid too. Like a condensed version of

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus loving christ these interiors are horrible.

https://twitter.com/itscuincle/status/1095090493610897408

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whoooooops

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh so what does that mean for the owner? Out of pocket to fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Protip: when you’re breaking the law, don’t crow about it to the press.