Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rastan Beeza posted:

What are the name of these earrings, because that sounds seriously op to give you a faster gcd.

Before you get excited, they only have any function inside of Eureka. The name is just "Cassie Earring" and it's part of a set of Eureka items (along with the Speed Belt and some hat) that give pretty beefy bonus stats....but not anywhere you'd actually want or need them. I just remember them going for a couple hundred million gil when Pagos came out, though obviously they'd be worth far less nowadays.

It doesn't help that the tooltip just states they give "Haste -3", so who knows how effective they even are. :v:

Oxyclean posted:

Still a bit iffy on deliverance for trash, or at least when it comes to big pulls.

People will tell you that Warrior's tank stance is dumb and useless because it doesn't actually mitigate, but extra health and extra healing of that health is effectively close enough to the same thing so unless you're real tight with your healer, I'd just leave it on for trash packs and spam Steel Cyclone. The extra damage you'd squeeze out of using Deliverance isn't worth your healer having a heart attack while they watch your HP dwindle in the middle of their Holy cast or whatever.

But yeah you should absolutely be ditching whichever flavor of tank stance you have on bosses, after an aggro combo or two. Dungeon bosses are ironically nowhere near as dangerous as the trash pulls between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What should I be doing for Warrior AOE? Is spamming overpower a trap? I know it's great for establishing threat. Is there mob # breakpoints between aoe spam and ST rotation?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Rainuwastaken posted:

It doesn't help that the tooltip just states they give "Haste -3", so who knows how effective they even are. :v:

It's a 3% gcd reduction, iirc. So all three pieces would be 9%.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Don't bother dropping tank stance for trash.

Rainuwastaken posted:

IIRC it's a 3% reduction in your gcd. Having a 9% buff to your sks/sps while in eureka would be nice, since the gear is garbage outside of it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Oxyclean posted:

What should I be doing for Warrior AOE? Is spamming overpower a trap? I know it's great for establishing threat. Is there mob # breakpoints between aoe spam and ST rotation?

My rule of thumb, and I'm generally overcautious - grab everything in overpower's aoe (and if you have to use overpower to do so, that's fine), overpower twice for 4 and switch to ST, popping steel cyclone or provoke + tomahawk if something breaks off the pack because the dps are idiots.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rastan Beeza posted:

You get a free Fantasia around 20~ iirc, which allows you to redesign your character once for free if you're not entirely happy with the current one.

I'm alright: I made Aisha from Romancing SaGa and I'm glad of it. Would have made Guella Ha, but no lizardmen.

(I've been on a SaGa kick the past few weeks, underappreciated Square series imho)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Leraika posted:

My rule of thumb, and I'm generally overcautious - grab everything in overpower's aoe (and if you have to use overpower to do so, that's fine), overpower twice for 4 and switch to ST, popping steel cyclone or provoke + tomahawk if something breaks off the pack because the dps are idiots.

To add to this, two overpowers generally is enough to get things to stick to you. Steel Cyclone also has a built in enmity modifier.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
With big pulls like the first two in the burn, when I'm playing WAR, I'll usually just spam overpower until I get lowish on TP. I'm not sure of the exact math, but it feels like with 5+ mobs, even without the +damage buff from Storm's Eye, you're getting more total potency with Overpower than with the standard combo. I'm sure someone else has the numbers handy and can say what that breakpoint actually is.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Before you get excited, they only have any function inside of Eureka. The name is just "Cassie Earring" and it's part of a set of Eureka items (along with the Speed Belt and some hat) that give pretty beefy bonus stats....but not anywhere you'd actually want or need them. I just remember them going for a couple hundred million gil when Pagos came out, though obviously they'd be worth far less nowadays.

All 3 of them gives you around a 9% faster GCD so a 2.22 gcd or so before skillspeed/spellspeed. Haste however works differently that skillspeed/spellspeed in that it also lowers your cooldown times as well. So everything is faster. Stat wise it's like an ilvl 310 thing in your Head/Belt/Ear as opposed to a sync'd 300. Which lol who cares.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

For big WAR pulls you should swap to Deliverance and IR/Decimate spam!!!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

Fel Cleave has finally been the thing that made me stop worrying and love the dps stance.

Or at least, levelling my tanks from 30-50 I didn't really like swapping off my tank stance because it felt risky and I wasn't really sure if the pay-off was worth it in a lot of situations. Also with DRK, you don't have a deliberate DPS stance, right, it's just grit on/off? With WAR swapping into Deliverance once I have decent aggro on a boss and slapping down 3 fel cleaves feels pretty sick. Still a bit iffy on deliverance for trash, or at least when it comes to big pulls.

(PLD 50, WAR 59, DRK 63 is where I'm at with my tanks for what it's worth.)

Bear in mind that the tank stance for WAR does not mean the same thing that tank stance means for DRK or PLD.

For each of DRK or PLD, their tank stances reduce damage taken by 20%, while reducing damage dealt out by 20%/15%, and increasing threat generation.

WAR's tank stance increases your HP by 25%, reduces damage dealt out by 20%, and increases the amount of healing received by spells by 20%. (Much less important, for every 10 beast gauge you have, you get 1% parry rate.) Which means that unless you parry whatever tankbuster was about to hit you, stance-dancing to WAR's tank stance serves no value, unless you swapped over well in advance and let a healer take you up to your new maximum HP ahead of time. There's also the matter of the increased threat multiplier, and which skills you can use under it, but the point is that healers just need to be relatively quick on topping you off, instead of being narcoleptic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also since this always surprises someone whenever this comes up, "spells" constitute relatively little of a high level healer's kit - most of their healing comes from abilities, like Tetragrammatron. So the Warrior tank stance actually increases healing received from sources that you don't really see that often. I think the tank role action is the same.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
i never leave tank stance and I NEVER dps as a healer

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
youre boring

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think I realized that Defiance didn't have damage reduction, whoops.

Countblanc posted:

Also since this always surprises someone whenever this comes up, "spells" constitute relatively little of a high level healer's kit - most of their healing comes from abilities, like Tetragrammatron. So the Warrior tank stance actually increases healing received from sources that you don't really see that often. I think the tank role action is the same.

The specific wording is "Increases own HP recovery via healing magic by 20%." If that specifically means spells, that seems a bit goofy.

What's the deal with the difference between ability and spell? Are abilities generally OGCD, and ignore silence?

I kinda only just put it together that abilities don't interrupt combos. Like, I understood this on a functional sense of using coodowns and OGCDs. but didn't realize the terminology structure. (Or why exactly something like tomahawk would break my combo.)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I main WHM at 70 and I wouldn't say "most" of my healing comes from abilities. Sure, Assize is the best ability on the bar, Tetra/Benediction/Divine Benison are great, and Asylum is great if I know where people are going to stand (also I should use it a lot more than I do), but a lot of healing comes from Regen/Medica II/Medica. It is pretty rare that I use Cure II though. If there's a tankbuster, I'm probably slamming Tetra or Assize if they're available, seeing as they're instant and don't cost MP and all that. Still, the tank stance would help with the Regen/Medica II stack if nothing else.

I also have SCH at 62 and I'm still learning it, but it does seem that the spells are pretty secondary there.

I'm only at 46 with AST so I can't say too much about that yet.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

What's the deal with the difference between ability and spell? Are abilities generally OGCD, and ignore silence?

Weaponskill - GCD, usually Instant, costs TP
Spell - GCD, can be Instant or have a cast timer, costs MP
Ability - oGCD, Instant, no cost but you have to wait for the recast timer to use it again

I think you're right about Silence affecting spells only, but I haven't been hit with it all that often so I don't recall. There's also Pacification which IIRC disables all weaponskills.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

respect the content

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i would never not dps as a healer

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

rujasu posted:

Weaponskill - GCD, usually Instant, costs TP
Spell - GCD, can be Instant or have a cast timer, costs MP
Ability - oGCD, Instant, no cost but you have to wait for the recast timer to use it again

I think you're right about Silence affecting spells only, but I haven't been hit with it all that often so I don't recall. There's also Pacification which IIRC disables all weaponskills.

There's a trap in PotD & HoH that Silence and Pacify, leaving you with only abilities, so that's why I picked up on that aspect.

are all abilities oGCD? I swear some of my tank CDs are not oGCD, but maybe I'm having a crazy moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I remember something like this happened when Sigmascape came out. It wasn't as bad, though, since it only took me two attempts to get in.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you end a trash pull as warrior with TP remaining i'm not even sure what you're doing

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Is the mobile app still trash and not worth it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PhilippAchtel posted:

I started after 1.0, so my character wasn't one of the heroes sent forward in time by Louisoix. I always wondered what happened to those previous Warriors of Light. I guess Louis just messed up the spell and they are floating in the void somewhere. :shrug:

He tore open a portal in time and flung them into the future where Bahamut's evil is law.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's a few oddball weaponskills and spells that are off the GCD. Empyreal Arrow for BRD and then Peculiar Light/Off-Guard for BLU.

Shield Oath and Grit are on the GCD because they grant defensive bonuses immediately. Defiance requires immediate healing to make use of the expanded HP pool for survivability, or use of a GCD in Inner Beast (+beast gauge cost).

If you mouseover icons, they'll say if they're a weaponskill, spell, or ability on it. Healing is the main thing that really cares about the distinction because as mentioned before, healing abilities don't benefit from the buffs. These include: Largesse, Fey Illumination, Mantra, Synastry, Convalescence, Devotion, and Defiance.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Verranicus posted:

respect the content

i meant the way you feel the need to post that every time anyone talks about healers or tanks

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

DontMindMe posted:

Is the mobile app still trash and not worth it?

Only worth it to activate for the aetheryte effect and then delete.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember when I first took a closer look at Refulgent Arrow's tooltip and realized it was a weaponskill

and that I could Barrage it :unsmigghh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

I remember when I first took a closer look at Refulgent Arrow's tooltip and realized it was a weaponskill

and that I could Barrage it :unsmigghh:

Yeah, I remember noticing that too. It seems like a very obvious 'use these together" hint.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

somepartsareme posted:

i meant the way you feel the need to post that every time anyone talks about healers or tanks

respect

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
This whole conversation somehow reminded me that during my most recent raid night with my static we started discussing old cross-class skills, so of course Fracture came up. I legitimately could not remember if it using it on monk was a DPS gain or not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thinking about Gunbreaker and how vastly different its aesthetic is from everything we've seen on Hydaelyn so far makes me wonder if it's going to be connected to the time travel (or shard travel or time skip or whatever Shadowbringer's increasingly apparent twist is going to be) and that won't really come up until the 70-80 job quests kind of like how Samurai really has nothing to do with Hingashi until 60.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 11, 2019

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Alakaiser posted:

This whole conversation somehow reminded me that during my most recent raid night with my static we started discussing old cross-class skills, so of course Fracture came up. I legitimately could not remember if it using it on monk was a DPS gain or not.

If I remember correctly in 2.x it was a DPS gain in one specific situation where you needed to delay your rotation by a GCD for some reason and a DPS loss otherwise. It was really far down the list of priorities and I never actually learned when to use it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Thinking about Gunbreaker and how vastly different its aesthetic is from everything we've seen on Hydaelyn so far makes me wonder if it's going to be connected to the time travel (or shard travel or time skip or whatever Shadowbringer's increasingly apparent twist is going to be) and that won't really come up until the 70-80 job quests kind of like how Samurai really has nothing to do with Hingashi until 60.

The slide had it listed as the job quest starting in Gridania. Although it was listed as tentative. :tinfoil: (Although the starting level of 60 was also listed as tentative, and I'd be surprised if that change.s)

If 70-80 really has us displaced in time/space, I could see the job quests still taking place during "normal" time, rather then them finding convoluted reasons for all the job quests to also occur in this other shard/time?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Samurai was clearly originally designed to start at level 1. You can see this in the way your initial hotbars are in a terrible configuration that reflects gaining the various parts of the combos as you level up, but the giveaway is the text in the quest log telling you that you need to advance the MSQ to travel outside of Uldah for the level 52 quest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fracture will be the level 80 war skill because we traveled through time to bring it back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxyclean posted:

The slide had it listed as the job quest starting in Gridania. Although it was listed as tentative. :tinfoil: (Although the starting level of 60 was also listed as tentative, and I'd be surprised if that change.s)

If 70-80 really has us displaced in time/space, I could see the job quests still taking place during "normal" time, rather then them finding convoluted reasons for all the job quests to also occur in this other shard/time?

Yeah it starts in Gridania, just like how SAM and RDM start in Ul'dah but neither of those jobs are actually from that area. In the Gunbreaker trailer it looks like all of the footage is from that new desert zone, so it's possible that job comes from that region/planet/time/fuckin' whatever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He tore open a portal in time and flung them into the future where Bahamut's evil is law.

They forgot to set a new return point.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm alright: I made Aisha from Romancing SaGa and I'm glad of it. Would have made Guella Ha, but no lizardmen.

(I've been on a SaGa kick the past few weeks, underappreciated Square series imho)

There are lizardmen in the form of Au Ra, but you need to get Heavensward.

Unless you mean really lizardy lizardmen, which in that case sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All the jobs are going to start in Eorzea from now on even if it makes no sense, because sticking the HW jobs in Ishgard really really pissed people off