Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Sean posted:

You have a basic-rear end grasp of business.

This is correct, I was not a business major.

I just assumed someone at Paradox crunched number and went "eh dedicating time/resources to patching a 5/4/3 year old game that isn't selling well isn't worth it" presumably they have metrics that show how well the games were selling and if updating them for a new OS was profitable they would have done it.

Chinook posted:

I think you don't know what "literally no different" means.

I mean this copy of Myst I have on my desk literally doesn't work in my computer due to updates rendering it incompatible. Should I expect the current rights holder to patch it so it's compatible? Because if so I'll hold off on grabbing a GoG copy one of these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This is the dumbest derail and I post in/read the Trump thread.

Another Eden is good, even if not getting any 5 stars the last time I pulled took some of the wind out of my sails.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they hadn't

1. made it so you can't even prove you ever had it

2. have said repeatedly they WERE going to update it

3. have not said anything about it for like 6+ months instead of just saying "nope"

Len posted:

This is correct, I was not a business major.

I just assumed someone at Paradox crunched number and went "eh dedicating time/resources to patching a 5/4/3 year old game that isn't selling well isn't worth it" presumably they have metrics that show how well the games were selling and if updating them for a new OS was profitable they would have done it.

I mean this copy of Myst I have on my desk literally doesn't work in my computer due to updates rendering it incompatible. Should I expect the current rights holder to patch it so it's compatible? Because if so I'll hold off on grabbing a GoG copy one of these days

You can find a way to run Myst even it if involves a virtual machine or fan patches. You can't ever play Shadowrun on Android again because they loving memory holed it. And Myst's creators never said they were working on an update to make it playable on current systems.

you suck at this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If you're taking fan patches/virtual machines into account then we can take into account that you can literally just sideload an APK.

Though that does run only the slight risk of putting malicious content on your phone, at least it would be playable again?

But yeah it looks like they haven't said anything about working on it since after Paradox bought them so my guess is they intended to and then the new owner said "nah work on Battletech" instead. Which wasn't that a hot mess?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Brown Dust available for pre-register.

Brown Dust

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

vulturesrow posted:

Brown Dust

This looks bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It is weird that nobody seems to be angry at smart phone companies for rapidly updating their systems to force people to buy newer phones, and instead are just dogpiling on Goon Approved Hated Company Harebrained Schemes

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr Hootington posted:

This looks bad.

It actually had a pretty strong following is my understanding. A bit niche, but it gets recommended a lot on Reddit (I know, I know). I'm going to check it out and see what I think.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It is weird that nobody seems to be angry at smart phone companies for rapidly updating their systems to force people to buy newer phones, and instead are just dogpiling on Goon Approved Hated Company Harebrained Schemes

No they suck too, but it's not google or apples fault that Harebrained didn't communicate at all and have been incredibly shady about this poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

vulturesrow posted:

It actually had a pretty strong following is my understanding. A bit niche, but it gets recommended a lot on Reddit (I know, I know). I'm going to check it out and see what I think.

I'm just sad all the ok gacha trash is anime bullshit and other IPs are the extra henious gacha trash.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Verranicus posted:

And Myst's creators never said they were working on an update to make it playable on current systems.

If only to derail a useless argument, they did start working on an update, though you'd have to buy it again.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/10/the-entire-myst-series-will-be-re-released-for-windows-10/

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've been away from the thread for a while. Goon thoughts on Dragalia Lost? Ive played a bit of it and its okay. Im mostly looking for something to play at work. I might just go back to Fire Emblem after dropping it at launch.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Sean posted:

I've been away from the thread for a while. Goon thoughts on Dragalia Lost? Ive played a bit of it and its okay. Im mostly looking for something to play at work. I might just go back to Fire Emblem after dropping it at launch.

The Nintendo association made me curious, and all I found was another gacha with paper thin gameplay.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

The Sean posted:

I thought it was pretty bad, if it didn't have Nintendo's name attached to it I don't think anyone would have paid much attention to it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't understand people that can enjoy arpg mechanics on a phone, it doesn't work for me at all on a technical level

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The devs behind Plague Inc. have released a new game (only their second overall) called Rebel Inc. which sees you trying to stabilize a post-war nation that's definitely not post-US invasion era Afghanistan.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 12, 2019

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

So, as someone still playing Dragalia Lost regularly: DL is still pretty fun, and they've really figured out the game balance and character kit design. Production quality is high, and the localization is really top tier.

However, there's been a big drop in playerbase recently. There's a few reasons for that, the biggest one is that there's only two types of events, Raid and Facility, rotating back and forth (a possible third type starts in 3 days though?). Also, the leap between Master tier Dragon/IOs and High Dragon Trials is huge, with no content between the two. The second High Dragon Trial is also hard-gated by getting good dragons from the gacha.

Most regular players have hit the current content cap, and unless they want to work on High Dragons, they're completely out of things to do besides farm whatever event is happening. Events generally last about 10 days, but most people in the goon discord were completely done after 5 or 6.

There's a lot of good QoL changes and a new mid-high tier of content coming out Soon, but DL needs a real shot in the arm to survive. The issue is the budget got slashed due to Cygames's parent company losing its rear end on a bad streaming site, so hope is not exactly high right now.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

The devs behind Plague Inc. have released a new game (only their second overall) called Rebel Inc. which sees you trying to stabilize a post-war nation that's definitely not post-US invasion era Afghanistan.

I read that as destabilse which sounds much more fun

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

mrkillboy posted:

Its F2P?

Anyone tried it yet? It looks interesting and I like the concept

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

WaltherFeng posted:

Its F2P?

It's free with ads but there's a $2.50 IAP to unlock the premium version to get rid of them and adds some extra things like a fast forward option. There's also IAPs to unlock stuff like different regions and cheats early.

Sleekly posted:

Plague Inc. recieved a ton of expansions so I wouldn't be surprised if one with the ability to play as the insurgency eventually comes out.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 12, 2019

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

warning: gacha post

vulturesrow posted:

Brown Dust

I'm looking forward to this one. Played the SEA version for a bit and liked a lot of the design decisions. You set up a formation and try to counter the enemies before starting the actual fight which plays out by itself. Autofarming can be run in the literal background (it simulates how long it'd take and you can do other things in the meantime). Depending on what you want out of your smartphone time-wasters this can sound off-putting or exactly what you're looking for. I fall into the latter camp, only stopped because there was no community for strategies and stuff around the game, which will hopefully change now.

The Sean posted:

DL is on the opposite side of the spectrum. The game demands a looot of attention, especially the raid events Go RV! is talking about. The grind on those is huge and you need to play them manually again and again. But I also agree on the very high production value, sleek design and all the other positive points. Especially the clear-cut non-varying progression on items would be a godsend for someone currently stuck in Epic Seven's triple-RNG-layered grind hell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

You can find a way to run Myst even it if involves a virtual machine or fan patches. You can't ever play Shadowrun on Android again because they loving memory holed it. And Myst's creators never said they were working on an update to make it playable on current systems.

you suck at this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shadowrun+apk&oq=shadowrun+apk&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3231j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have fun I guess. You're talking like it's gone forever but you can get it from dozens of different sources.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Its F2P?

I played it some last night, was pretty fun.

Edit with more detail:

The game is pretty great actually. I went and got the premium version with funbux, which unlocks advisors (modifications to your game) and removes ads. There are multiple governors you unlock by playing, and each plays pretty differently. For example, the default guy is...default, but the next one works off an annual budget rather than monthly, so you have to plan differently.

Insurgents can be brutal to deal with. They are scrappy and will always flee a losing fight, forcing you to surround and pin them down to kill them, which is hard to do in some terrain. The mechanism at the core is similar to Plague Inc. in that you buy Initiatives which take time to roll out and increase a "you win" bar. You have Reputation, which is like the HP for your efforts in the region, which you lose by losing areas to insurgents (more for populated areas) or extending coalition troop deployments. If you manage to broker a peace deal with the insurgency, all armed conflict ends, but you lose rep based on the amount of fighters remaining on the board and the zones they control; signing a peace deal could make you lose.

The dichotomy of gradually building up infrastructure in relatively secure areas while managing military actions elsewhere is fun. Coalition troops are fast to train, strong, and fast, but locals don't like them and they start eating into rep the longer they are deployed. National troops are slow as gently caress to train, move slower and are weaker, but locals have no problem with them, and you can train them and outfit them better for long term. There are garrisons and militia forces, air strikes (which can cause civilian Casualties, requiring cover up or risk emboldening the insurgency), etc.

Honestly, it's very close to a reskinned Plague Inc with some new mechanics.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 12, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

DL is on the opposite side of the spectrum. The game demands a looot of attention, especially the raid events Go RV! is talking about. The grind on those is huge and you need to play them manually again and again. But I also agree on the very high production value, sleek design and all the other positive points. Especially the clear-cut non-varying progression on items would be a godsend for someone currently stuck in Epic Seven's triple-RNG-layered grind hell.

i reluctantly uninstalled dragalia lost a few weeks ago. the game is extremely well-made in nearly every single aspect, including how (unlike 99% of games) the developers have been responsive to player concerns and annoyances since day one. i just got so tired of grinding the same missions over and over though. the rotating events in the game are neat but when you are expected to grind the same 1 or 2 missions dozens and dozens of times to grind up some little bonus, it gets tiresome. it might be ok with a more proc-gen or RNG type of game, but in DL each mission is like 1-3 minutes long and every time you run a mission it's the exact. same. identical. fight.

i can see myself going back to it in the future once they have more events and modes that the player can choose between at any one time, but as of now the game just feels like a chore

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 13, 2019

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Go RV! posted:

There's a lot of good QoL changes and a new mid-high tier of content coming out Soon, but DL needs a real shot in the arm to survive. The issue is the budget got slashed due to Cygames's parent company losing its rear end on a bad streaming site, so hope is not exactly high right now.

This is interesting, got any links r.e. that streaming site money drain situation?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sleekly posted:

Same for me actually.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The Pandemic Plague Inc Rebel Inc game is kinda fun, but I'm really feeling kind of skeeved by it. Maybe it's the fact that it's set in 2002 in nonspecific Afghanistan.

Cheap Trick posted:

This is interesting, got any links r.e. that streaming site money drain situation?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyberagent-revises-down-fy9-2019-forecast-ceo-scapegoats-underperformance-of-dragalia-lost.96617/

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Go RV! posted:

The Pandemic Plague Inc Rebel Inc game is kinda fun, but I'm really feeling kind of skeeved by it. Maybe it's the fact that it's set in 2002 in nonspecific Afghanistan.

Yeah, I had the same problem. Uninstalled it, it's fun but I'm just super uncomfortable with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know anything about it but the game Suburbia is free right now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suburbiagame.suburbia&hl=en&rdid=com.suburbiagame.suburbia

It's a port of a boardgame and apparently people are angry it's free because "only kickstarter backers are supposed to get it free" even though it's free on a public app store :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

New Kairosoft game: Quest Town Saga.

From the Android Police Roundup:

Quest Town Saga

I find it amazing that after all these years Kairosoft is still pumping out new games on the Play Store. Quest Town Saga is the latest English release from the company, and it mixes Kairosoft's standard simulation formula with a few RPG aspects to create something that's both fun and familiar.

Monetization: free / contains ads / IAPs from $1.99 - $69.99

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Len posted:

I don't know anything about it but the game Suburbia is free right now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suburbiagame.suburbia&hl=en&rdid=com.suburbiagame.suburbia

It's a port of a boardgame and apparently people are angry it's free because "only kickstarter backers are supposed to get it free" even though it's free on a public app store :shrug:

I grabbed this for a rainy day I guess.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Quest Town Saga

I find it amazing that after all these years Kairosoft is still pumping out new games on the Play Store. Quest Town Saga is the latest English release from the company, and it mixes Kairosoft's standard simulation formula with a few RPG aspects to create something that's both fun and familiar.

I tried it out a bit. I'm not impressed. The combats has been pretty much walk up to something and spam your specials as much as possible. Maybe it gets more in depth later on but after about an hour or so I don't really see anything that suggest that. The town building is surprisingly shallow. Buildings give either population or nature and some money and items. There is no bonuses for placement. So just spam the buildings of the stuff you need the most of. If you run out of land you can buy two extra districts at the cost of $5 each.

They use every attempt of monetization. Premium getcha buildings give more rewards than standard buildings. There also getcha equipment. Item storage limits that can be raise with premium currency. There are constant ads everytime you beat a stage. To play a stage requires stamina. To remove both stamina and ads cost $8. There are four different types of currency; premium, gold, friendship, and heart. I'm not really sure how heart works but I think you use friendship or premium equipment for a while to get it.

Overall it is fairly shallow on both the combat side and town building. It is weird because they have release both of those styles of games with decent depth before. However the features from those past games have been removed here. The monetization it just totally in your face and annoying but you could probably do pretty well with a $18 cost.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chucklefish.stardewvalley&hl=en_US

Pre-Register for Stardew Valley is up.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Quest Town Saga

kairosoft games with IAP and ads are always a hard pass

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

a7m2 posted:

kairosoft games with IAP and ads are always a hard pass

Agreed. Getting an Ad after each map is ridiculous. Quit after the tutorial

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Len posted:

drat it's back to $7 now... I like the board game so was hoping to get to play it on my phone.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
Epic 7 talk: I've got a Vildred + Angelica starter account saved if anyone wants to play the game without reroll hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Trastion posted:

drat it's back to $7 now... I like the board game so was hoping to get to play it on my phone.

I don't actually know what it is but it was free and by downloading it I made people angry. What is it?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

srulz posted:

Star Traders: Frontiers has just been released on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.startraders2

I haven't played it yet, but apparently its PC version is quite well-received.

This is fantastic, thank you so much for letting me know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Len posted:

I don't actually know what it is but it was free and by downloading it I made people angry. What is it?

Its an app version of a board game. Kind of like Sim City where you're laying tiles to build your city. Its well regarded but not my jam so I dont know much more than that.