Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Happy to report NO issues with spoilers since I switched off the alternate theme. So glad you offered that suggestion! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, since I moved back to the default theme everything has been working for me as well. I’m convinced the alt-theme was the culprit (although I *really* liked the alt-theme).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grace Baiting posted:

+1 to this, and also I haven't been able to longpress-to-open gifs any more like other images, when I have the tap-to-play-gifs setting on. Unless it was fixed by one of the two App Store updates in the past week or so!

e: oops, that's a tumblr URL, so it doesn't get the tap-to-play-gif overlay, and I CAN longpress-to-open that gif. Here's an imgur reupload:

With the tap-to-play overlay on the imgur gif, I cannot longpress-to-open that gif.

This one's on the list!

Warbird posted:

So what’s the story with the imgur uploads? I saw the improvements mentioned in the latest patch but I don’t actually see where/how to do them in the app.

When you're typing up a post, tap the caret to see the lil menu (usually for cut/copy/paste but Awful adds more items) then choose the "[img]" menu item. If you do "From Camera" or "From Library" the image will be uploaded to Imgur before submitting your post.

Regy Rusty posted:

Hardly necessary any more but I finally got to test it out and swapping back and forth between the normal and alternate themes had the spoilers working in normal and not in alternate every time.

It's good to know anyway, I want to get a sense of how many people continue to be affected once the alternate theme is taken out of the mix.

IllegallySober posted:

Happy to report NO issues with spoilers since I switched off the alternate theme. So glad you offered that suggestion! :)

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, since I moved back to the default theme everything has been working for me as well. I’m convinced the alt-theme was the culprit (although I *really* liked the alt-theme).

Awesome! I'll get a new version out here soon so y'all can keep using the alternate theme with functioning spoilers etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Test

Edit: Thats pretty snazzy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
App Review's on fire this week.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

App Review's on fire this week.

No kidding. Back to Alternate mode for me. Let’s see if this works.

Edit: Looks good so far!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

“Filter by tag is still broken.”
- Some Douche on the internet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Life is good.

So about that pull to advance to next page feature....

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
handoff should probably be off by default. my phone keeps trying to hand off sa threads to my work computer

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just installed the app and have a couple of issues already

1. Is it impossible to zoom in or enlarge a picture in a post? Sometimes people post very large images with small fonts. I saw an example of this almost right away and could not zoom in.

2. Is there any support for embedded mp4's from imgur in posts? I installed the app specifically because these common mp4 videos wouldn't embed on iOS Chrome like they do on Windows Chrome, but it was a vain attempt, the Awful app still doesn't embed them (although they do show up as links, which is a step up from iOS Chrome which shows them as non-interactive still images)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I just installed the app and have a couple of issues already

1. Is it impossible to zoom in or enlarge a picture in a post? Sometimes people post very large images with small fonts. I saw an example of this almost right away and could not zoom in.

long press it

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Feature request: allow uploading images as attachments to the forums post

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Thanks that did it, I was just double and triple tapping to no avail

Anyone able to browse all the mp4s posted in some threads with the app?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thx for fixing spoilers

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I haven’t had any trouble clicking on quotes in a while. Did you fix that too? Thank you!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

edit: whoops

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With imgur uploads still being iffy, I use the imgur app, and then copy the direct link to my posts. Could there be a [timg] tags option when you enter the [img] submenu to avoid having to go back and type the ‘t’ for every one?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The_Doctor posted:

With imgur uploads still being iffy, I use the imgur app, and then copy the direct link to my posts. Could there be a [timg] tags option when you enter the [img] submenu to avoid having to go back and type the ‘t’ for every one?

Is there really a reason to do timg anymore since the forums no longer get hosed up tables from big images?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there really a reason to do timg anymore since the forums no longer get hosed up tables from big images?

Because sometimes people don't want to scroll past huge pictures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Endless Mike posted:

Because sometimes people don't want to scroll past huge pictures.

Exactly, and I don’t want to be the dick who posted the big pictures.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I’ll repost this since we’re talking about Imgur again.

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
i would love to use the attachment feature built in to the forums

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Interesting take, because it’s trash and all. Has it been improved over the last 10 years? Because last I used it, woof.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Interesting take, because it’s trash and all. Has it been improved over the last 10 years? Because last I used it, woof.

Are there problems with native attachments? I never really experienced any issues using the website but if it's not worth tackling I understand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're basically stuck with your first upload and it's completely immutable, right? I mean that totally fits the old SA pattern of "Make a mistake because you're not paying attention and pay for it idiot!" but I feel like we can be better than that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
True

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d donate :10bux: for the app to have car play support and have Siri read the posts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Make the UI look like attachments but instead produce huge data: URLs.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MarcusSA posted:

I’d donate :10bux: for the app to have car play support and have Siri read the posts.

Save the :10bux: and get therapy instead, imo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Latest Awful, iOS iOS 12, iPhone 8.

No matter who I try to add to ignore, it tells me Daikatana Risu is a mod and can’t be ignored.

That’s an disturbing implication about the population of the forum :ohdear:

(My assumption is that I have had them on ignore for a while but they’re an IK now or some such and any further additions to the list is causing an error because mods and admins are protected )

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I dunno if it helps but there's a special control panel for ignored users that most people probably don't ever find. Log in on desktop and it's an option in your user control panel. Next to forum options and all those links. Once you're there, it shows you a big list of all the users you've ever ignored with the ability to modify entries. Find Daikatana Risu's entry and clear out that textbox and save it. Hopefully this fixes your profile. This is also how you un-ignore someone if you forget why you hate them and find yourself clicking into their posts all the time to catch the flow of conversations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

the yeti posted:

(My assumption is that I have had them on ignore for a while but they’re an IK now or some such and any further additions to the list is causing an error because mods and admins are protected )

Yes.

pokeyman posted:

LeJackal isn’t, but communism bitch is, and so long as communism bitch is still on your ignore list you can’t make any changes.

To be fair, that’s really something that Awful should handle for you. But in the meantime, if you edit your ignore list in your browser and swap out communism bitch for LeJackal you should be all set.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553037&perpage=40&pagenumber=589#post492619354

I have achieved a heckin sorcery:

If you img tag an MP4, it will only play in the app. If you url tag an MP4, it will only play on Desktop.

So. I have tagged one as img, and the other as url.

Guess what?

Video appears ONLY ONCE, despite. So browse on mobile! Browse on the web! See the difference.

Can this process be made easier?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Actually, on desktop Safari, I can see both. What happens is the img tagged one (the second one, right?) gets served up by imgur as a gifv, which safari (and awful, and probably chrome? I assume this is a webkit thing) understands. That happily loops forever, silently.

The first video, which is url tagged, embeds as an mp4, and won't do that. (although I'm pretty sure I set a flag somewhere to prevent autoplaying videos. If I click through to show controls, I can play the video, sound and all.)

I only checked with firefox, but the img-tagged gifv version didn't work in firefox, it just displays a broken file placeholder.

Out of curiosity, how did you upload your video? When I tried I went through the pain in the rear end imgur.com/upload page (and used its share link, which is how I got the img-tagged gifv in the first place).

I'd be curious to know if there's a proper solution to this, though. To be honest, I just used the img tags because I couldn't remember which ones worked for embedding a video like that. I kinda feel like once upon a time imgur just served a suitable format to whatever browser and it just worked, but it's not like SA's bbcode listing has ever been changed, so I'm not sure what's the "correct" way to post gifv/webm/whatevers.

Actually, I can see that your video is 15s long, but awful (and desktop safari) are only showing like, 3 frames looping forever. Did you shorten it, or is something just horribly hosed up?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Zenostein posted:

Actually, on desktop Safari, I can see both. What happens is the img tagged one (the second one, right?) gets served up by imgur as a gifv, which safari (and awful, and probably chrome? I assume this is a webkit thing) understands. That happily loops forever, silently.

The first video, which is url tagged, embeds as an mp4, and won't do that. (although I'm pretty sure I set a flag somewhere to prevent autoplaying videos. If I click through to show controls, I can play the video, sound and all.)

I only checked with firefox, but the img-tagged gifv version didn't work in firefox, it just displays a broken file placeholder.

Out of curiosity, how did you upload your video? When I tried I went through the pain in the rear end imgur.com/upload page (and used its share link, which is how I got the img-tagged gifv in the first place).

I'd be curious to know if there's a proper solution to this, though. To be honest, I just used the img tags because I couldn't remember which ones worked for embedding a video like that. I kinda feel like once upon a time imgur just served a suitable format to whatever browser and it just worked, but it's not like SA's bbcode listing has ever been changed, so I'm not sure what's the "correct" way to post gifv/webm/whatevers.

Actually, I can see that your video is 15s long, but awful (and desktop safari) are only showing like, 3 frames looping forever. Did you shorten it, or is something just horribly hosed up?

Full rundown:
I uploaded the video from the Imgur app, then got the link for the mp4 from copying the link within the app and then pasting it into Awful and putting it in as an IMG.

When I came to my browser (Windows 10, Chrome), the video was not there, so I edited it and took out the IMGs.

Suddenly, the video appeared and played automatically on desktop, but I only see the hyperlink in mobile.

That's when I decided to put both in.

Regarding that 3-second loop: If you refresh, sometimes it will cache the whole thing. It's a cache error.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Love the app! A small issue though: It seems like previously stickied threads remains on the top (in Fyad at least) for some time. Not a big deal but can be confusing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Something I've always loved, but basically just take for granted now is the posting flow. Sending ppl into the preview before posting was a genius design decision.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I never used alternate themes because I am pure of blood and mind, but I haven’t had spoiler issues in quite a while, other than the fact that I sometimes need to tap a few times. Maybe I am a very bad tapper, but maybe there’s a target location/size/pattern issue? I’m can’t explain any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Stringent posted:

Something I've always loved, but basically just take for granted now is the posting flow. Sending ppl into the preview before posting was a genius design decision.

Seconding this, it’s saved me from so many dumb post mistakes. Appreciate this very much.