Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Saxophone posted:

I was trailing like 2k behind Higgins a week into autumn, and was insisting not bothering. Then I noticed how easy the tunnel stuff was to do, and had like 2 blender commissions in the same week.

Now I'm like 500 behind and I've got a whole week of autumn left and all of winter. Guess I'm doing this.

Anything besides Carbon steel I need to horde before winter hits?

Stainless aluminum and hard aluminum, especially stainless as a lot of new main story missions require aluminum plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there any way to re-order the names of the boxes in the workshop inventory menu?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

waggles posted:

Stainless aluminum and hard aluminum, especially stainless as a lot of new main story missions require aluminum plates.

Hmm, I have no way of crafting aluminum yet. Oh dear.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just keep research up. You'll eventually get the furnace that lets you smelt aluminum. I think it's a 20 disk research.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is pretty fun, which is weird, because none of the parts particularly stands out. The combat, the story, the world, the crafting, none of it is particularly interesting, yet it adds up to something that is pretty chill to just sit down with and play.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Saxophone posted:

Hmm, I have no way of crafting aluminum yet. Oh dear.

You'll get the plans for the electric smelter eventually. Aluminum ore is in abandoned ruins 3.you'll want to get production going because it seems like it makes the aluminum really slowly.

Waterproof cloth is another one you'll want to stock because it costs 10 cloth fiber, honeycomb wax and mucus which takes a while to get.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

This game is pretty fun, which is weird, because none of the parts particularly stands out. The combat, the story, the world, the crafting, none of it is particularly interesting, yet it adds up to something that is pretty chill to just sit down with and play.

The pacing of play is absolutely perfect. It made me realize just how disjointed some games are in how they give you new milestones/things to do.

I'm not quite done with year one, but it seems like you're never really lacking something to do. Always a quest, story, place to explore, thing to craft, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Verviticus posted:

is there any way to re-order the names of the boxes in the workshop inventory menu?

I think it's supposed to be ordered the way the way they are placed in the main world? It got a little janky when I slowly upgraded them to metal containers and they were all out of order once I was at full metal... but then they fixed themselves after a few days? I'm not sure. It's hinky.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
There's a mod that can help with the chest ordering.

Download the Unity Mod Manager first https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/21

The mod is called TweakIt, https://www.nexusmods.com/mytimeatportia/mods/15
One of the options is to sort the chests automatically by name. It also has some options to help with gifting.

This mod can help helpful to fine-tune the game a bit. https://www.nexusmods.com/mytimeatportia/mods/23
It's mostly cheat stuff, but I like the option to have stacks go up to 99k. Maybe later someone will make a mod that restricts that just to stone/wood/dirt. You can also uncap skills and there's a bunch of stuff to save time if you get bored with certain aspects of the game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I definitely think it's getting time to upgrade the house.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

skeleton warrior posted:

Nah, looks normal and fine to me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

skeleton warrior posted:

Granted, it's also worth upgrading because you've long since maxed out the bonuses that your furniture gives, and upgrading the house increases the cap for those bonuses.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that horse statue looming over their bed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
OK i swear the game is screwing with me because it'll make one piece of a 5 piece relic have a 2% chance to spawn, given that it is always a specific goddamn part and meanwhile I'll get 6 of some other part even when I reset the abandoned ruins 4 times in a day.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Remove the combat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that horse statue looming over their bed.

Though on the other hand, if you put relics outside your house, there's a chance that any passerby will be super impressed by them and grant you like +30 relation with them.

Plus, having a giant llama and a giant horse on either side of your fence gate just feels right :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

just started playing this game and it is indeed supremely chill. the inventory management system is pretty good, but being able to name and cycle through chests is a godsend. i just wish you could hand over items to people without having to grab them. i've gone to the research center empty-handed so many times...

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Just started playing this a few days ago, it's lots of fun so far :3:

I keep forgetting to pick up the daily commissions :negative: I know it doesn't matter much but I want to beat Higgins. rear end in a top hat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Serf posted:

just started playing this game and it is indeed supremely chill. the inventory management system is pretty good, but being able to name and cycle through chests is a godsend. i just wish you could hand over items to people without having to grab them. i've gone to the research center empty-handed so many times...

I just keep the data disc stack in my inventory. Inventory unlocks are fairly easy so saving a few spaces for the items I want to have on hand always isn't too bad.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like because boxes are so easy to make, I've never needed more than one full page of personal inventory space. So I've always got worms, discs, power cores, and fertilizer on hand since those seem to be things I can't draw from storage to use.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like because boxes are so easy to make, I've never needed more than one full page of personal inventory space. So I've always got worms, discs, power cores, and fertilizer on hand since those seem to be things I can't draw from storage to use.

I use power cores just fine from storage. You're spot on a out everything else though.

I just bought the 100k gol land expansion and was pleasantly surprised that it was even more space than I had originally thought. I was even further pleasantly surprised to find that there's still more land to buy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I use power cores just fine from storage. You're spot on a out everything else though.

I just bought the 100k gol land expansion and was pleasantly surprised that it was even more space than I had originally thought. I was even further pleasantly surprised to find that there's still more land to buy.

where do you go to buy more land? i'm getting cramped in the starting zone

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Saxophone posted:

I'm at that point in the game where I'm transitioning from power core structures to the next core structures, so I'm buying the next core from the research center using power cores every now and then, and I need them in my inventory to be able to use them as payment. I get what you're saying though about using them as a power source from storage.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
There's a little wooden sign just outside your fence line. Click on that and you'll get 'Buy more land for X amount'

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Serf posted:

where do you go to buy more land? i'm getting cramped in the starting zone

I looked this up last night, lol. Outside your property, behind where your workstation starts, there's a for sale sign. Go interact with it, I think the first one cost 1500gol? The second was like 5k or 10k or some other number too rich for me currently.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Though on the other hand, if you put relics outside your house, there's a chance that any passerby will be super impressed by them and grant you like +30 relation with them.

Plus, having a giant llama and a giant horse on either side of your fence gate just feels right :v:

The museum performs a similar function, though only for +10 and fairly uncommon. I'll maybe see it pop up about once a week.

There's a giant llama?! :3:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm at that point in the game where I'm transitioning from power core structures to the next core structures, so I'm buying the next core from the research center using power cores every now and then, and I need them in my inventory to be able to use them as payment. I get what you're saying though about using them as a power source from storage.

I'm swimming in both kinds of power cores from the inspections, so I hadn't considered that since I haven't needed to do it yet. My bad.

Also, not a HUGE deal, but I kind of wish the electric furnace allowed me to make all the rest of the metals at slightly reduced times like the other furnaces do. It feels weird having a few different types of furnaces kicking around. That said, I'm on the wind turbine quest and oofa I'm gonna need faster aluminum production.

Also, a tip, the comprehensive grinder is a game changer for things like bearings and pipes, as you can straight up make it out of the ore instead of smelting bars first. I put making one off not realizing this and bearings and pulleys became a choke point for me since I had to halt carbon steel production to make the tin alloy first.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Also, a tip, the comprehensive grinder is a game changer for things like bearings and pipes, as you can straight up make it out of the ore instead of smelting bars first. I put making one off not realizing this and bearings and pulleys became a choke point for me since I had to halt carbon steel production to make the tin alloy first.

Seconding this but for the cutter too, I didn't think it was a big deal at first but then I realized the Comprehensive Cutter would let me make Steel Plates without depleting my Carbon Steel Bar supply and that's really helpful. Same for Aluminum Plates. Being able to skip the bar phase means I effectively save the bars for other things and get a bunch of the plates I need, so I don't need as many furnaces. And once I got the Fire-Powered Generators set up the Condensed Power Cores weren't a thing I needed to even pay attention to.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 12, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the comprehensive grinder/cutter are a huge help. There's a particular stretch of quests where it feels like you need to make something like 20-30 bearings, which are 4 tin alloy a pop without the comprehensive grinder.

Saxophone posted:

Also, not a HUGE deal, but I kind of wish the electric furnace allowed me to make all the rest of the metals at slightly reduced times like the other furnaces do. It feels weird having a few different types of furnaces kicking around. That said, I'm on the wind turbine quest and oofa I'm gonna need faster aluminum production.

I have six electric furnaces on a constant burn: three each making one of the two types of aluminum. This has kept me solidly in the black wrt aluminum production for both the main quest and my own requirements. If you start to have condensed power stone issues (six electric furnaces + a couple comprehensive machines is pretty hungry) remember you can buy ten regular power stones a day from the tool shop, and the register in the lab turns four regular into one condensed, so you functionally buy five condensed power stones every two days.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
And be sure to take Artisan skill, which knocks of 20% of the resource costs.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, looks normal and fine to me.

I CAN'T FIND MY CAT ANYMORE

Sage Grimm posted:

The museum performs a similar function, though only for +10 and fairly uncommon. I'll maybe see it pop up about once a week.

There's a giant llama?! :3:

Yeah, it's a furniture item. I don't know if it's for sale anywhere; I got it as a random free furniture for winning the workshop rankings one month. If I get another, given my Cotton Llama mount named Fluffdaddy, I may need to place them as gate guardians on the shed. :3

And, yes, life goals are to get 3 of most relics: one for inside the house, one for outside the house, and one for donating to the museum. (Though some of the relics aren't place-able in the house, and some aren't place-able outside, so it's not that insane. It is a little insane, though.)

Now that I think about it, a second Llama statue may be a life goal as well.

Anyways:

Important notes, especially for people still early in the game:

* When you build stuff with the Assembly Station, take a look at its description in your inventory. A lot of stuff will describe it as an "Assembled Item", which means you can build a copy later to donate to the Museum for bonus rep/items. A few items also provide stat bonuses if you build one for the house. The Printing Press you build for Mei, which is pretty damned cheap parts-wise, provides +12 Defense.

* If you decide to skip quests, then first I ask what kind of person you are, holy cow, what are you doing, why would you do that, but IF you do, and those quests offer specific assembled item plans, you can always go back to the Research Center and buy those plans from the store for Discs. When you do the Tree Farm's quest, and have to choose between two paths, that's the way to get the bonus item from the other path as well.

* Speaking of buying stuff: Best Brothers and the A&G Shop have some furniture offerings that change with the seasons, some of which is obvious (fireplaces and Christmas trees in winter) and some of which is not (the long couch is only a summer thing)

Panfilo posted:

And be sure to take Artisan skill, which knocks of 20% of the resource costs.

Warning: does not knock the costs off of things made with the Factory apparently. But by then, gently caress it, you have the Factory.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I had my first real :smugdog: moment - even more so than surpassing Higgins in the rankings which felt like an inevitability - when the research lab mailed me the diagram for the lighthouse beacon with the caveat of "oh man this is a really complex materials-wise!" and I had enough high end materials in storage to make five of them if I wanted to.

Kinda wondering how long the game can keep going before the main quest runs its course and I'm left with commissions and befriending the populace. Petra isn't taking any more of my research disks which I assume means I've unlocked everything, and I'm flush with every high-end material my machines say they can make besides titanium.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

For the tree farm quest, you can request both options. You'll pay a higher initial datadisc fee to have both blueprints right off the bat but it comes out the same if you selected one then and bought the other from the Research Center later on. I dug a lot in the mines and was flush with discs by the time that quest became available.

Also you can just faint from exhaustion at 3:00 in the morning in the middle of bumfuck nowhere without consequence. You'll just wake up in bed with all your stamina at the same time as you normally do. I've done this a number of times when I'm doing some fishing in the desert areas and I didn't bring my horse with me.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
the combat and people need to go since both are half baked ideas, i honestly don't give a poo poo about any of the townspeople beyond that one will eventually pet all my cows for me, they're so underdeveloped and combat is learning extremely easy attack patterns of armorlords the chipping away at them for five minutes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On the other side I probably wouldn't touch the game without the social interaction, it's not super in-depth but there's enough flavor in there to simulate a video game world and the benefits from befriending the citizens is enough to push me to get to know them. Combat I could honestly take or leave.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I disagree on the people portion of that, though they could stand to have more quests and interactions, as well as maybe adding more/better perks for upping friendship levels.

The combat though is... Yeah. Fortunately, save for a few story beats, once you've run a dungeon once on each difficulty level, you can just commission to have them deliver all the stuff you would have gotten. Honestly, probably more than you'd have gotten in my experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Only gripe I have with regards to the combat is stamina costs as it relates to major set-piece bosses.

For example (late-game spoilers) in the fight with All-Source and the Rogue Knight, I basically had to let the Civil Corps do all the heavy lifting because I'd burned through all my stamina along the way and stupidly didn't have any stamina-restoring food on me, which felt freaking lousy. If it gave me some sort of temporary "you're fighting for the fate of Portia, you don't feel any exhaustion!" buff that let me actually participate, it would've been a lot better.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dried apple slices are also on my "keep these in my inventory at all times" list. Extremely easy to make and handy.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just have a stack of 50 fish soup or whatever the thing i got from annihilating the fishing contest was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I literally never fished until winter of year one when somebody put up an S rank commission for an emperor fish and I took it because I'm an idiot. Seems like a good way to make money but it's also pretty time consuming.