Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Squirrel Girl would absolutely help Hardy Laurel turn his life and career around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
May 11th, 2006

May 12th, 2006

May 13th, 2006

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

That's a lot of heroic rhyming for a clash in which your troops surrendered.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 24, 1931)

Peanuts (February 14, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 14-16, 1932)

Thimble Theater (September 6, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (July 9-11, 1923)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 13, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I've seen this referenced before and could never place it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDd8shcLvHI

it was number 1 for five weeks.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Discendo Vox posted:

I've seen this referenced before and could never place it.

One of the real treats of Public Domain Day 2019 was looking up the sheet music and finding all the extra choruses that nobody touches anymore...assuming they ever did. I'm trying to teach myself basic piano so that I can sing them all to torture friends and strangers.

Fifth verse, ten times worse posted:

YES! We have no bananas, we have no bananas today.
We just killed a pony,
So try our bologny
It's flavored with oats and hay.
We those New Hamp-SHY-re squashes
They taste like go-LAH-shes
But, YES! we have no bananas, we have no bananas today.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BigDave posted:

Yes it was.

HERE'S how you troll Trump in the comics:

Jim Keefe is a totally awesome dude.

http://www.jimkeefe.com/archives/10722
I appreciate that he bothers to draw a new president each time that story reruns when it'd be so easy to just leave it as-is.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think what I most love about Dok's Dippy Duck is it is so tied to it's time and location. It's a great look at what Seattle was like in the 20s. More so than most comics of its time I think.

Skippy too, but usually less explicitly. That comic today though was clearly some social commentary on contemporary urban problems.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Let's just say that Percy Crosby wasn't an Al Capone fanboy.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

At first I thought the idea was he was using the new guy's "mental powers" to remember appointments for him, but that doesn't seem to make sense with the guy sweating and him asking for money, so I give up, what's going on in this one?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hes using the guy instead of a memo pad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I'm remaking my avatar from a while back and and torn between this version:

...and this version where CB changes expression in the Dustin panel.

I think the change in expression disrupts the flow a bit but I like the gag. I'm a bad judge of these things so I figured I'd ask what other people think.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The second one is better

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

The Amazing Spider-Man

Fred Basset

Garfield

Judge Parker

Liō

Mary Worth

Reply All

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Unfortunately??? What???

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Well that's that folks! The world was destroyted, time to stop posting Dilbert!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I know some nerds have done it, I wanna see the math behind all that concept.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

big dyke energy posted:

Unfortunately??? What???

tiggum posts edits

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 21, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 21, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 21, 1987)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (September 24, 1931)

:stare:

Well, you wouldn't see THAT in today's papers...

Anyway, onto today's Corto Maltese: I am sure Corto will follow that request to the letter, Sorrentino, or Cassandra by name, Cassandra by nature (though I do like how she's drawn like a antiquity-era Greek profile painting), or A bit of beefcake for the girls and boys

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Luxrage posted:

There's no end in sight from Closer to Home!

I'm glad that off-center label was added to the maintenance man or else I would have never known who he was!

I'm just wondering what the men are eating that they need an electric air freshener for their shits

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker
Charles Bronson?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Footrot Flats (1976)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fondue posted:

Charles Bronson?

Probably his non union eastern European equivilent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qWWyRztgE

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art in these Footrot Flats strips is bloody excellent. So much dynamism and personality.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Could someone repost that Boss Dharma reading order explanation chart? I need it for something.

vvv beautiful but I genuinely need the normal one too

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 12, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone repost that Boss Dharma reading order explanation chart? I need it for something.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

I know some nerds have done it, I wanna see the math behind all that concept.

Some wikipedia + napkin math here. (And I probably took a wrong turn somewhere, the numbers involved are so staggeringly large it's just nonsensical.)
Well, ignoring any current production of it, CO2 makes up roughly 0.04% of the atmosphere. (Ignoring water vapour.)
Earth's atmosphere is roughly 5.15×10^18 kg, or ~ 5,150,000,000 gigatons.
That leaves us with a measly 2,060,000 gigatons of CO2. ( 2.06*10^15kg )
And there's around 12,875,000 gigatons of water vapor in the atmosphere.

Since wood/construction materials is a pretty complex material, I'll instead have Dilbert's amazing miracle machine produce glucose/sugar instead, since then I can simplify it down to a single chemical. (And honestly, cellulose is basically just glucose in chains anyhow. )
Dilbert's amazing machine also produces it through a magic, 100% efficient reverse-aerobic resperation cycle.

Those 2,060,000 gigatons of CO2 can be converted to 2,809,090.90 gigatons of glucose.
This would also require 842,727.27 gigatons of water, though that's just 6.5% of the water vapor in the atmosphere, so that's probably nothing to worry about.
(The output of oxygen from this is not massively relevant, but it would increase the atmosphere's oxygen content by some fraction of a percent.)

2.8 petatons of glucose is a lot.

If it were shaped like a cube, it would be 122km on each side. ( 75.8 miles.) And would be visible from 1253.5km away, accounting for the earth's curvature. ( 778.8 miles.)
If it were a sphere, it would be 75.8 km in diameter, and visible from 986.2 km. If you were in western Phoenix, you'd hypothetically be able to see the top of it on a clear day.
In Los Angeles it would be 16 times bigger than the moon is in the sky, and easily visible provided you didn't stand near a mountain or building.

The required energy to convert that much CO2 + water into glucose would be around 44,940,959,998,454.6 TJ/W. Or 1,248,359,999.6 TWh.
Total worldwide gross power generation in 2016 was 25,082 TWh.
The amount of energy the earth recieves from the sun in an hour is ~626,400,000 TWh.
Which means that if you grabbed the entirety of the sun's output hitting the earth and rammed it into Dilbert's magic sugarcube maker, it would demand 2 hours worth of it. (e: sorry copied over an incorrect value previously.)

Even if you ignored the power usage entirely, this would still mean removing a good ~20-30% of the earth's greenhouse effect, perhaps more.
Which would have the immediate effect of palmslamming worldwide temperatures down by ~10C and thrust us into an ice age.
Where it would go from there, I have no idea. A lot of CO2 stored in water (ocean acidification, etc.) would probably start getting released back into the atmosphere.
If humanity ramped up CO2 production massively ( like for example re-burning up the giant sugarcube. ) it could probably start re-adding to the atmosphere pretty quickly.
But yeah, all plant photosynthesis would effectively stop, and once they ran out of their energy stores they would start dying off in swathes.

Only ones in environments where we could supply them with additional CO2 would survive honestly.
Massive CO2 leeching from oceans + lakes and back into the atmosphere would likely cause massive die-offs of water-based plants as well.

Though I imagine the instant ice age would be more of a worry. (Also all of San Fran/San Jose + Sacramento getting crushed under a giant sugar cube/ball. I guess.)

e: Or if he just used a magic scrubber that pulls carbon directly out of the air, bypassing the 'construction material' part from a few days ago:
You'd get a far more reasonable 561 818 gigatons of carbon/graphite, though at a significantly higher cost of 5 098 311 077.33 TWh.
( Or 8.13 hours worth of total sunlight energy capture. )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 12, 2019

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace the Avocado

Curtis

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm not linking the Macanudo because it sucks and you shouldn't have to see it again, but at least it made me think of this song, which is very good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The last panels on BCN and Wallace are both just loving gold.

Also, Submat, thank you so much for doing that. I really enjoyed reading your analysis.
Informative and amusing!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I am loving the term bravocado.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

duz posted:

Probably his non union eastern European equivilent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qWWyRztgE
Kinda want to see this.

F Minus

Macanudo

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm not linking the Macanudo because it sucks and you shouldn't have to see it again, but at least it made me think of this song, which is very good.
This is a good song! And to think I would never have heard it if I hadn't posted that lovely comic!

Mark Trail

"Rusty! You aren't supposed to be using an electronic device on takeoff! Noooooo!" *crashes into ground killing everyone*

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^I hate this fictional A3G man and I hope he's dead.

OF COURSE IT WAS A FAKE-OUT OUR DEAR SWEET LUANN CANNOT KISS A MAN WHO IS NOT HER ESTABLISHED BOYFRIEND SHE IS NOT A SLUT LIKE TIFFANY

He's smiling in the panel, like he's pleased to have gotten a nibble, but the pause makes his reaction ambiguous.

I can't tell if Gunther is doing the Nice Guy thing where he's disappointed that this woman is not a 10 (despite being a complete bridge troll himself) or if he's finding her pronounced overbite attractive.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

snack eater posted:

I'm just wondering what the men are eating that they need an electric air freshener for their shits

Nobody in this comic looks like they eat anything remotely healthy for their guts.

Speaking of, it's Closer to Home!

This one is notable as it's one of the few times you see someone in the old comics without glasses (even if it's just a baby).

This one is also notable (and spoiler'd) because it's the first time you see a horrific :nms: burn in his comics! And I don't think it's the last!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 12, 2019